Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130490 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 2)
« Reply #420 on: January 16, 2010, 09:42:17 pm »

Kenbo, I suggest that you use the next noble to test the magma deathtrap.

Not that drowning them and pushing them into chasms isn't fun, I'd just really like to see some... burning... noble chunklets... that's all.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 17, 2010, 09:23:22 pm »

Kenbo, I suggest that you use the next noble to test the magma deathtrap.

Not that drowning them and pushing them into chasms isn't fun, I'd just really like to see some... burning... noble chunklets... that's all.

I think that can be arranged!  I'm estimating the trap might be finished right around when the next noble comes, so I could set up something special for him/her.

Also, I think I'm noticing an undesirable side-effect with using disabling Invaders for one season... it feels like the game has reset my enemies' aggression with me.  Even though Invaders is on, I'm not getting any ambushes or sieges, just a couple of stray thieves as if it's my first year all over again.  Anybody know if this is true, or am I just getting (un)lucky?
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2010, 10:16:52 pm »

That's not entirely impossible. How long have you been waiting since resetting the init file? I'd give it at least a year, maybe a little more.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless it happens again.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 18, 2010, 02:02:26 am »

I turned them on as soon as the dwarven caravan left, so, effectively 2 seasons since the change wouldn't have kicked in until Winter anyway.  It's going to get awfully boring without my regular 70+ goblin sieges to keep me entertained, not to mention I'd have nothing to test the magma trap on!

Except for elves.  And humans, even though I enjoy trading with them.  I may resort to xenophobia if things get too tame.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #424 on: January 18, 2010, 09:46:56 am »

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do when a Consort issues an impossible mandate (crystal glass, or perhaps exotic animal leather items) and Zon gets sentenced to be hammered? With the number of Consorts you intend to collect, it's not a question of if, but when...

Which reminds me... what are the preferences of our latest Consort?

Looking back, I just realized that an even worse fate could potentially await Zon - if failed mandates result in the execution of dwarves with lots of friends, an unhappy dwarf could potentially enter a Fell Mood and decide to turn Zon into a bracelet. Of course, it would be utterly tragic if that were to happen. And by "tragic" I mean "hilarious".
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:56:05 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 18, 2010, 10:36:57 am »

I dunno. I have times when I'm getting constant orc and goblin sieges, and then I'll go two or three seasons siege and ambush free. It may just be normal, idk.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 18, 2010, 12:22:50 pm »

just read through.
awesome
can i has a dwarf?
ill take... hm... i dunno really. you choose.
*notifies*
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 18, 2010, 05:29:39 pm »

just read through.
awesome
can i has a dwarf?
ill take... hm... i dunno really. you choose.
*notifies*

I'm going to need a little more than that... Pick a profession and a name, please.

Looking back, I just realized that an even worse fate could potentially await Zon - if failed mandates result in the execution of dwarves with lots of friends, an unhappy dwarf could potentially enter a Fell Mood and decide to turn Zon into a bracelet. Of course, it would be utterly tragic if that were to happen. And by "tragic" I mean "hilarious".

Considering Zon's stance on art, that would be the ultimate insult!  Fortunately, I've still maintained a mostly friendless fortress - the only friendships are those I started with in the starting 7.  I had one gem setter go Unhappy only because he'd been working on the magma tower, was accosted by fire snakes, and happens to hate fire snakes - but that's it so far.

Apologies for the slow updates, should be able to return to normal sooner or later!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 18, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »

Thanks for the work on the story, it's very enjoyable.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 18, 2010, 05:37:13 pm »

Qloos journaled up an adventurer in Severedcoils, if it will tide you over.  Check it out here!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 18, 2010, 06:23:28 pm »

Well that was a fun read.

"However, the assault failed due to the villain Archibold ..."
Hell yea b****es.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 18, 2010, 07:10:19 pm »

fine
derm
hm... Metalworker
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 19, 2010, 06:52:50 pm »

Curses!  Not a male consort.  Oh well.  Next year, then!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 19, 2010, 07:51:18 pm »

14th Felsite, 209, Late Spring
-------------

Somehow, I get the feeling Reg doesn't miss her husband much.  She was spotted filling the pond for the very same death trap that killed her husband.  She doesn't know about the pond's involvement, does she??

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Come to think of it, Inod wasn't too broken up about losing what's-his-face the first Baron, either.  In a way, this realization is a little more disturbing than the act I've been assigned to do.

Ast Dawnedroads, an animal caretaker, withdrew from society.  I carefully planned the items she was allowed to use, and she came out of the craftshop with an obsidian earring worth 72,000 dwarf bucks.

Two pieces of raw clear glass... you know, it would have been nice if she'd have started with the clear glass and made a glass artifact.  Honestly, from the day we founded Severedcoils I really wanted us to make our way with a glass industry.  All of the green and clear glass furniture is proof of that.  Yet after all the training I put our glassmakers through, they never seemed to increase in skill, and eventually I just gave up.  Maybe I put the wrong dwarves to work in the glass furnaces... ah, well.  We have a lot of high-valued food ingredients, so I set our cook to working on some more roasts.

"Oi, Zon!  A word?"  Solon, one of the metalcrafters, approaches.

"Yes, Solon?"

"Ah, no no, it's not Solon anymore.  It's 'Derm.'"

"'Derm?!'  What kind of a name is that for a dwarf?  Why does everybody want to change their names all of a sudden?"

"Quite simple, actually... I dunno if you noticed, but this fort's startin' to make a name for itself.  We had nobody want to migrate here for three years on account of the first baron mysteriously disappearin'.  Now, a Count walks in, elects himself a Duke, and vanishes in the same day."

I stare coldly at 'Derm.'  "Continue..."

"Well, y'see, the thing of it is, it's startin' to look a little... suspicious.  None of us want any trouble though, I mean, none of us have ever had anything terrible happen to us.  As long as it's just nobles, I think we can all agree to keep quiet.  Some of us are changing our names, though, because we don't want our families associated with whatever's goin' on here -- if somethin's going on, that is."

"That would make more sense if you were changing your last names."

"Actually we though of that, but 'Skuorgs' disagreed.  He made the point that if ever called into question, history would see a 'Derm Spatteredgirders' among the ranks.  Then, someone would check the name 'Derm' against the Spatteredgirders line, not find any record of a 'Derm,' and be forced to conclude that the records are inaccurate and our family names would be protected by logical inconsistency!"

"Far easier if you were to just change your last name.  That, and your old names are probably in my old notes somewhere, so either way that wouldn't work."

"Well... couldn't you just change the name in your old logs?  And, wait, did you just commit to record 'Skuorgs'' plan of logical inconsistency??"

"King's order's m'afraid.  I need to keep a record of what happens here."

Derm's eyes lit up in a way I didn't like.  "So, wait, that book contains the full history of Severedcoils?  Like... what really happened to the Baron and the Duke?"

I shot back my most intimidating glare I could muster - which wasn't much, being only a dabbling intimidator.  "Reg requisitioned an order for something gold a little while ago.  Perhaps you should get down to the forges and see what you can do..."

"Gold?  Oh, boy.  Is this goin' to happen often?  You had us smelt all the gold we found into bars... shoulda just left it raw!"

"Relax, Derm.  There's seventy-eight bars left.  We'll just stop using it for crafts and save it for requests.  It'll last us a while.  In the meantime, we can start exploring the underground for another vein, but first we need to get rid of all this stone lying around!  I keep stubbing my toes on them, and it's slowing work down."

"Finally!  Well, I'll go make some... flasks?  Goblets?"

"Goblets, please.  Thanks."

Derm goes on her way.  I'm worried now about the safety of this journal.  Stupidly, I let slip that our entire history is contained here!  Now there might be bandits among us who may attempt to steal it... I'll need to keep it on my person at all times.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:59:29 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »

(Journal entry, not part of the main story.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:24:48 pm by dermonster »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54