Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130502 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #315 on: December 15, 2009, 09:33:10 pm »

Given that this year's Autumn caravan was pre-empted by a siege, the next Baron is likely to be 4 years late.

Unless the 3 year estimate already took that into account.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 10:10:50 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 16, 2009, 05:09:48 pm »

Haha... no, the 3 years thing had nothing to do with an estimate of any kind as to when the baron will arrive.  It was a joke about how I was expecting to get the next baron two Springs ago, and a third spring needs to pass before I get to the next autumn when the caravan arrives.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 16, 2009, 06:43:42 pm »

24th Obsidian, 207, Late Winter
-------------

Busy, busy, busy!  We've checked level 2 quite thoroughly for that underground river.  No sign of it, but we did hit another patch of aluminum and a few other random gems.  I see we have a lot of rough gems lying around, so to keep the workers busy I assign lots of gem cutting jobs.  I'm careful to leave enough rough gems left in case a mood demands it.

As we cleave through the earth, I notice the dwarves are spending a lot of time journeying to the extreme ends of our mining tunnels to get their stones, metals, or gems, despite closer ones being nearby.  Rather than move on to the next level right away, I assign several new paths to be cut to reduce travel time so that the workers spend more time working.

We built another enclosed passage through the brook, connecting the southern and new western tunnels together.  Level 2 now contains a giant circle-path with many intersecting passages.  Also, I took notice of a stairway that was being used heavily even though it had few exits.  New connections are being added on all three dormitory levels to streamline traffic flow.

Unfortunately, all of this has the undesired side-effect of allowing the workers to get their jobs done more quickly, thus leaving more time for parties.  Hmm... my ruthless drive for efficiency may be the death of us in the end.

Winter begins to wind down, and I start preparing sketches of the new fort layout for spring.  The entire winter has been quiet without a single hiccup, so I don't expect any distractions.  I politely forbid my door, take a seat in my +Basalt throne+, slabs of slate in hand, when suddenly--

NEEIIGH!! ¤CRUNCH!!¤

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I push by the gaping onlookers to see the gate trap engaged-- and there, lying unconscious on the pressure plates that trigger them, is Imush Solenstettad, the eyeless ex-marksdwarf.  All of his pump work still hasn't cured him of narcolepsy.

The neeiigh, I'm told, was a horse by the name of Sodel Olinemen-- oh, great, it had a name!  It was crossing the bridge just as they raised, and the horse happened to be in the one place where it could be crushed by the bridge.

Tekkud Usirudil, legendary stonecrafter, and a giant eagle chick are dusting themselves off in the pit 1 z-level below, lucky to be alive.  This suddenly reminds me that I forgot to install spikes in that floor!

I look again at the bridges and notice that something is wrong.  The idea was for both bridges to close inward, creating a cage in the middle.  And yet, the inner bridge seems to have been incorrectly installed as retracting.  Oh, well...

All work is stalled while Imush lays unconscious on the pressure plate.  This is the only way into the fort, so nobody can get in or out.  Workers take to complaining and cancelling their jobs, probably going to parties... I take to throwing things at Imush to wake him up.

Hours later, he finally stands up.

"Huh... where am I now?  Hmm, I'm thirsty.  Think I'll go-- whoa, there's no ground there.  Where am I??"

Imush takes a step off the bridge into the space that should be a raised bridge.  The pressure plate deactivates.

*squaaaw!*

Meanwhile, a giant eagle chick eager to get to her mommy caged in the kimberlite nature trap outside decides to fly over the gap at exactly this moment.  The retracting bridge suddenly appears!

Ugh... so much for having a totally quiet winter.  Imush and the giant eagle chick are fine, just embarrassed.  I look around, but as of yet don't see anyone particularly upset over the loss of their horse.  Meh, if they don't care, neither do I.  They have plenty of mist and statues and chained animals to console them, anyway.

((Map)) Anyway, spring's finally here.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:21:53 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 20, 2009, 01:58:38 pm »

13th Granite, 208, Early Spring
-------------

The Elven caravan from Elenúaye is on its way.  The thing is... there isn't really anything we need.

We have more than enough seed and booze, a fair amount of rope reed cloth which we aren't using anyway, and too many animals.  We're pretty self-sufficient by this point; the only things we really need from traders is a variety of metal bars, which the elves don't supply.  Nevertheless, there are several items of narrow junk still left in the trade depot, so in the interest of getting rid of it I feel compelled to send it off with the elves.

Aaaaaand one of the elves decided to crawl all the way to the depot, wasting my precious time.  He isn't wounded, he just crawls around hissing at people the entire way.  It isn't even that dwarves are stepping over him, he crawled all the way from the edge of our borders to the depot!

Nemo Imazadene, one of the elven merchants, catches me watching the peculiar crawling elf as he enters.  She approaches with her nose turned up high in the air.

"Ahem... Hasn't anyone taught you it's rude to stare?"

"And hasn't anyone taught that one that it's rude to hiss at dwarves while crawling around on all fours?"

"That's Saló Thécemifava, a controversial revolutionary in our midsts.  A recent celebrity, elven tales are woven each day of his latest exploits."

"What's so revolutionary about him?  That he acts and smells like an animal?  I thought you all did that."

"What's wrong with acting and smelling like an animal?  It's better than acting and smelling like rocks..."

I'm about to cleave this elf's head off with my (Steel axe) when Asob intercepts the argument.  "Nemo!  How wonderful to see you again.  We have some wonderful narrow clothing for you, if exotic clothing is in your interests!"

"Ah... yes, that will do nicely!  We shall hang their clothing from the trees as trophies of our goblin kills!"

"You mean our goblin kills," I interrupt.

"Hey, you're selling them.  Unless there's a contract on them dictating the way we will use our new property, you can't tell us what to do with it!"

Saló Thécemifava crawls up and hisses at me, licking his lips like a feral dog.

"Oh my," Asob exclaims.  "Is this Saló, the revolutionary you told me about last year?"

"Yes," said Nemo.  "One year and two weeks ago, Saló began his non-sapient diet, proving to elves all across the forests that it is not necessary to eat the sentient to survive.  The elven nations are in an uproar about it, as his experiment finely divides the line between those who enjoy eating the intelligent, and those who receive severe indigestion from devouring their thinking kills."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!  You mean you've brought a crazed elf starving for sapient flesh inside my fort?!"

"Actually, Zon, it's King Minkot's fort.  And it's fine - he's resisted the urge for a year now - he's not likely to snap all of a sudden!"

I feel a tug on my chin.  I look down, and Saló the sapient-hungry elf is gnawing on the end of my beard.

"No!  Bad Saló!"  Nemo pulls from her (large Rope reed long skirt) a purple berry and squeezes it, squirting the juice in Saló's eyes.  He hisses and withdraws from my beard.

I grumble.  "Yes... well... in that case, I have to go chop some-- err... rock.  Chop some rock, yes."

Asob disappears without warning.  The elves and I stare baffled at the spot she used to be in, neither of us capable of offering an explanation.  A bit later, she reappears inside the trade depot.

"Asob, what did you just do??"

"Huh?  I went to get a drink.  I needed some strawberry wine."

"Did you teleport there??"

"No, I walked!  Silly Zon.  Dwarves don't teleport, and if they did, I doubt anyone could even explain how or why."

I shake my head and go outside to chop some rock.  Asob proceeds to buy out all of the wood and ropes, the one barrel of Longland beer they brought, their dye, and their barrels, in exchange for half the narrow garbage that was cluttering our depot.

Actually, I wind up asking the other miners about this strange disappearing/reappearing act.  If anybody else would have noticed it, it would be the miners, since she spends a lot of her time out-mining even the legendary miners.  Fikod is deep in the mines somewhere, so instead I turn to Rigòth Åmbim, 'Yawningsling,' one of our original embarking miners who has taken a short break from digging to practice her hobby of making silk crafts.

"Aye, Asob is a fast one!  I oft' challenge her to diggin' contests jus' so I can get a look at her style!  I've been tryin' to find some sign of her cheatin', or usin' some sort of magical artifact, but I see nothin'!  Somethin' ain't right about her, Zon.  She's Superdwarvenly Fast, I tell ya!  One minute she's diggin' a hole, then she's gone, then she's back with her -Birchen cup- full of strawberry wine, and she's right back to diggin'!"

Other rumors circulate about Asob's strange teleporting power that she seems to have developed, but no one is sure exactly when it started.  It took me this long to notice, probably because I've been suspiciously avoiding her the past few months... which I probably shouldn't be doing.

Yet more rhesus macaques swarm in, trying to take some of the goblin loot.  I really should let them, just because the workers have been hauling items for half a year now and still aren't any closer to having the yard free of detritus, but it's the principle of the thing!  You can't just allow random wild animals to walk in and take things!  What does that say about your dwarfiness?  I send several militia out to take care of them and gain a little experience.  I even kill one myself!

Two new babies are born, and a baby grows to become a child this season.  Sadly, no parties are thrown for any of them.  As much as I dislike parties, I do think the children at least deserve something in their name for special occasions such as this.

I know!  We'll throw an execution!

Welcome to Severedcoils, children!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:26:21 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 20, 2009, 03:57:24 pm »

21st Slate, 208, Mid-Spring
-------------

Elizar, a fine champion with eleven kills including the titan Anetha Grizzlyelder the Numbers of Aging, finds me as I'm felling the tallest rock-- I mean, tree I can find.

"Zon!  He's found it!  Fikod Rigòthishen found the underground river!"

"Finally!!  Where is it?"

"It's on level 2, like you thought, just south of the chasm."

"Figures... I went all the way around our boundaries, and there it is in the last place I thought to look."

"Well, everything is in the last place you look."

"What are you, a freaking philosopher?"

"Well... I, err, thought I'd fill in since we don't have one?"

"Your job is killing things with ruthless efficiency."

"Oh, and I'm very good at that!  But I'm also a dabbling philosopher."

"Yeah, ok.  If you'll excuse me, I have some mining orders to hand out."

I order some stairs to be dug up and around the damp stones so that we're sure we won't be flooding anything, and...

There it is!  And what a convenient location, too!  If I'd have known it was here sooner, much of the fort would have been designed differently, for instance the wells that came all the way from the brook.  For now, I can definitely get some pumps working to draw water up into the count execution device so we don't have to lug it up with buckets any longer.  We can also increase the water output to make it a surefire kill, and maybe we can even work it into a better waterfall than the one we currently have!

Speaking of waterfalls, the river falls down a two-story waterfall, heads south a short distance, then goes down another waterfall that goes twelve stories before sinking beneath the earth into a bottomless pit.  And it looks like there's some native platinum sticking out of the wall on one of the deeper levels!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:27:56 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 20, 2009, 05:24:34 pm »

"Well, everything is in the last place you look."

"What are you, a freaking philosopher?"

"Well... I, err, thought I'd fill in since we don't have one?"

"Your job is killing things with ruthless efficiency."

"Oh, and I'm very good at that! 

After a rough day at work, this made me laugh.  :D

Underground river! The possibilities...
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #321 on: December 22, 2009, 09:12:28 am »

I posted a comment on DFMA, though I'm not sure how often you check it, so I'll repeat it here. On the fort's entry level is a metalsmith's forge and 8 furnaces of some type (they all look the same) - given that you have Magma, you should probably deconstruct all of the old ones (excluding the wood furnaces, of course) so you don't waste charcoal/coke when putting in work orders.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 22, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »

Oh... that's a good point, I didn't think of that.  Fortunately I haven't been using the job manager much for metal/glass jobs until just recently, so I probably didn't waste too much yet.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 22, 2009, 08:33:05 pm »

24th Slate, 208, Mid-Spring
-------------

Mûthkat Sibrekshoveth, Engraver cancels Drink: Taken by mood.  She takes over a craftsdwarf shop and, unfortunately, grabs the nearest basalt stones instead of the obsidian piled a short distance away.  Looks like the new gem stockpile wasn't cleaned in time... oh well!  Nothing a little stone forbidding can't fix... or so I think.  I've forbidden a great deal of gabbro and basalt in the fortress, and now even though the obsidian is closer she keeps getting cheaper stone!  Stupid moods... It gets so bad that I resort to designating most of the available doors to be built around the stairways for future ease of forbidding.  Eventually, I give up and let her use her worthless gabbro.  At least I've stopped her from using regular cave spider silk...

We caught a second cougar, finally!  It remains to be seen whether this one is a female to go with the male we already have restrained in the bestiary.  We also caught a hoary marmot... big deal.

The groundwork for a direct route to the baron baptismal chamber has been laid out.  I make use of diagonal cracks to reduce water pressure, that way even when pumped the water shouldn't be forced to go anywhere I don't want it to.

Obok èrithkodor is becoming insubordinate.  I decided to install two weapon traps in the pit beneath the bridge trap, but even though Obok is standing directly on top of one of them, he insists that he cannot reach the construction site.  Perhaps it's because he can't stand adjacent to it to arm the trap... what's wrong with standing diagonally from it??  Do I have to dig out a hole and then fill it in with a wall so you can put together the last piece?!  Ugh... These laborers should be happy they elect Asob mayor and not me, because I'd be sending the hammer to bust down their doors while they sleep for this kind of behavior.

We have more than 99 bars of nickel lying around.  Why do we have more than ninety-nine bars of nickel lying around?  It probably has something to do with forgetting that I left a smelting order on repeat for an indeterminate amount of time.  King Minkot scolded me ferociously for the mistake, so now I need to find a way to make use of the surplus metal.  It turns out that nickel bars make a cheap and effective shield when placed against ground-level fortifications, so that's what I do.  After constructing these bars, we have... wow, still over ninety-nine of them.  Whoops...

Meanwhile, Mûthkat finishes her artifact.

Paintshank!  I have to admit, I love the name.  It comes off as a decently priced artifact, at a cool 61,200¤.  Unfortunately, Mûthkat didn't gain any experience from the crafting process, probably because she got all weird and withdrew from society.  At least she's still a Legendary Engraver.

I take a look at the trees growing around the fort... wow, they sure are thick.  A quick survey finds that caravan wagons can't even get through that thick forest.  That's not good... We could chop them down, but that's too mundane.  Think of something dwarfier, Zon!

...Hmmm... You know, the thickest part of the forest is sitting directly over the magma vent.......

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:30:35 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #324 on: December 22, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »

If Mûthkat was already a legendary Engraver and she withdrew from society (as opposed to being possessed), then her artifact just made her even more legendary, more than enough to guarantee nothing but ≡exceptional≡ and ☼masterwork☼ engravings (whereas a Legendary+0 will still frequently only hit *superior*). It probably also boosted her attributes quite a bit, so it's not a total loss.

Also, nickel would be great for training a blacksmith or metal crafter, considering you're up to your armpits in garnierite. Z-Stocks will tell you exactly how much you have (unlike the build menu which, as Zon has observed, maxes out at 99).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 09:59:50 pm by Quietust »

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 22, 2009, 10:27:37 pm »

3rd Hematite, 208, Early Summer
-------------

A giant eagle chick perches atop the north gate tower.  How interesting... normally, the chicks stay near their mothers, even the caged ones.  This one has flown to the highest constructed point near the gate, surveying the land as if waiting for something... it's clearly ready to protect the fortress it grew up in.

It is the beginning of summer.  It's the most likely time for a siege.  Perhaps the giant eagle chick has spotted something?  I take preemptive measures and suspend all outdoor construction and tree cutting.  Most of this was being done near the edges of our border, so leaving workers out there could be dangerous.  We'll wait until the human caravan arrives before resuming construction.

Flipping through my notes, I see I've forgotten to explain what it is we're building out there.  On the southeast corner, we're laying out some foundations for some windmills to pump water from the underground river.  In the southwest, we're doing the same, except for magma.  There's also a great deal more construction involved in that project, which I'm dubbing the "Smoldering Road."

The caravan from Pesor Siti arrives ahead of schedule.  We have so many high quality roasts, I decide we're only going to trade with those this time and see what we get.  We likely won't get through half of them!  Most of them are made out of cow cheese, quarry bush leaves, and dwarven syrup, so I'm expecting a huge return.

There's definitely something fishy in the air, though, and it's not the barrels of fish brought by the traders.  Everything seems to be moving in slow motion... like, everybody is on guard for something to happen.  My mother always told me that when the world seems to slow down, expect an ambush.  The building orders remain suspended... if no enemy shows themselves by the time we're done trading, I may send scout parties to check out the surrounding lands.**

Egads, my mother was right!  Some goblins jump out and attack a named dog!  Fortunately, the owner of that dog passed away years ago, so there's nobody around to miss her.  It's such a small force, I only pull away the champions.  Well, OK, let's get the marksdwarves in position in case there's more than one ambush party.

A second ambush!  I need to learn to keep my mouth shut...  Zefon Weavercloisters, the war dog of recruit Medtob Kinmachines, engages the first pack of goblins alone and is struck down.  The champions assemble...

But wait!  I realize, suddenly, that a small ambush party like this presents ((DFMA 1)) ((DFMA2)) ((Movie)) the perfect opportunity to try out the nature trap!  After routing the first party, three giant eagles and a wolf run into a goblin snatcher and tear it limb from limb.

I'm a bit disappointed, to be honest.  We lost one giant eagle and one wolf, and likewise one eagle and wolf each were severely injured.  I thought giant eagles were a little tougher than that... well, for this trial the cage only contained eight giant eagles and five wolves.  We'll wait until more adults are available before springing the trap again.  I'd like to at least double those numbers first.  Overall, I'd consider the trial a success simply because we got some usable data out of it.

Asob is making out like a goblin snatcher (well, not the one that was ripped apart by vicious animals) at the trade depot.  She talked the humans into buying a single
≡Quarry bush Leaves roast [29]≡ for 20010¤!  That one roast was good for all of the metal, cow's milk, dye, bolts, turtles, cow cheese... hey, wait a minute.  This year's caravan turned out extremely small!

I catch Asob as she's leaving the depot to ask why.  "Asob, what gives?  Did you upset the traders last year or something?"

"Huh??"  Asob, too, looks to be in a bad mood.

"It really didn't seem like they brought a whole lot this year.  What did you do?"

"Look, Zon, I don't think I like your attitude with me lately!  Everything's my fault anymore, you write bad things about me in your journal, you haven't talked to me in months--"

"Whoa, slow down!  You just going to breeze past the whole reading my journal thing like it's nobody's business?  I guess you didn't get the point that I don't like you snooping in on me!  I don't know whether you're reporting me to the King, or just plain being rude!"

"Rude?!  But... Zon, you're like a sister.  I didn't think we had any secrets between us.  You really suspect me of betraying you to the King?"

"What's with all these demands and mandates lately, Asob?  It's like you're letting nobility get to your head.  Or maybe it's like somebody's made you an offer, and you're getting used to the idea... Honestly, who needs all that tin anyway?!"

"You know what?  I outrank you.  I don't need to take this from you!  I could order you to pull the lever if I really wanted, but you know I wouldn't do that.  So don't take advantage of that and get in my face with all these assumptions of yours!"

Asob withdraws a note from her +Rope reed vest,+ crumples it up, and throws it at me.  It clings to my beard as she walks by in a huff.

As I uncrumple it, I groan loudly.  Of course!!  What an idiot I am... it's a note I left for her last year.  'Asob, please request as many metal bars as you can from Pesor Siti.  We'll need as many varieties as possible to uphold noble demands.'

The math isn't that hard to put together from here... loading up as much metal as they could onto their wagons and horses, the traders had little room left for anything else.  I'm such an idiot!  I need to cut this entry short so that I can catch up with Asob and try to apologize.

**((Commentary))
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 07:17:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 22, 2009, 10:34:42 pm »

Ah, ok.  I thought artifacts only helped the skill associated with the artifact created - so when I saw a stone ring, I was expecting to see her become a legendary stonecrafter.  I knew it was possession that didn't give the attribute boosts, but since I didn't see the stat gain I thought I had it wrong there.  Turns out I was wrong, and also wrong about what I was wrong about!
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #327 on: December 22, 2009, 11:47:48 pm »

When miners and engravers get strange moods, they randomly claim either a mason's workshop (and produce a piece of furniture) or a craftsdwarf's workshop (and produce a craft), but they still gain experience in mining/stone detailing as expected.

As for the small amount of goods on the caravan, that's about what I'd expect - even with 7 wagons, a full load of metal doesn't leave room for much else. I usually just request the base metals and make the alloys myself, leaving room for other trade goods.

There was a point when I didn't know any of this either, but I tend to learn quickly.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:51:48 pm by Quietust »

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 23, 2009, 02:34:42 am »

That trap was like Narnia. I bet that the gobbos will think twice before invading again. Then again, maybe they won't.

Quietust: I don't think I've ever had a miner make a craft artifact. Are you sure about that?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 23, 2009, 07:19:27 am »

This is quite, quite enjoyable. Could I have a dwarf to my name?
I want a weaponsmith and/or armorsmith, preferrably male, and name him/her Skuorgs.
Cheers, good writing!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 54