Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130449 times)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #270 on: December 03, 2009, 05:05:16 pm »

Why don't you wait to satisfy their demands by smelting bars? You know that works, right? I keep all my aluminum ore raw now thanks to a highly annoying noble who likes aluminum things. Wants 2 aluminum items? I smelt two bars! Or make a set of mugs if I have no ore left.

To me, that feels like an exploit.  So does selling raw narrow clothing, I know, but since the entire point of the challenge for some reason isn't panning out as fast as I'd hoped, I feel like I need to set other challenges along the way.

I always just figured it was the nobles being too dumb to tell the difference... ._.;
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 03, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

I will also note that, even though I know that flasks/goblets are an easy way to make 3 items and be done with it, I've been making furniture instead on occasion.  Of course, this has a dual purpose of creating some of the furniture the next consort will need.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #272 on: December 03, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »

Why don't you wait to satisfy their demands by smelting bars? You know that works, right? I keep all my aluminum ore raw now thanks to a highly annoying noble who likes aluminum things. Wants 2 aluminum items? I smelt two bars! Or make a set of mugs if I have no ore left.

To me, that feels like an exploit.

I personally think it's acceptable, specifically because nobles can mandate the production of pig iron or bismuth items, where smelting is the only way of fulfilling them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 03, 2009, 07:51:34 pm »

Yeah, when I get the "make X items of Y material" demands, I always try to do furniture; it's good for RP reasons, and it's kind of fun to look over and see the shitty cabinet you made out of Rose Gold for your worthless nobles.
also, can't you make furniture out of bismuth, quietust?
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 03, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »

Coins and decorations and such, I think, but not furniture. Checking it...

Nope. Can't make a blessed thing out of it, coins/studs included.

But you can make magma-safe bridges out of your pig iron bars! Not that it counts for production purposes but it does put the crap to use when you have no flux. I've got a pile of it from importing and hoping to request flux from my liason, before a garnerierite vein right through the HFS ruined my dream with a HFS queen.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2009, 05:50:24 pm »

Here's the low-down... We're getting hit with a lot of big projects with short deadlines at work lately.  Last week I worked 50 hours, plus I have to go in tomorrow (which is Sunday) and probably work another 50 hours on top of that, then next Sunday... and so on, until at the latest January 4th... unless they change something again.

I'm not saying updates are coming to a dead stop, but they're definitely slowing down, and unfortunately the quality probably won't be as good since I won't have as much time/energy to devote to them.  Hopefully things should calm down by January (I'll have a little more than a full week of vacation to spend by then too, so that will be great for updates), so just bear with me a while.

Sorry to slow things down even more than they already are.  Hopefully I get another baron soon, it feels like this challenge should be much farther along by now.  I'm thinking I probably should have abandoned at start and reclaimed with 70 dwarves to get a head start on it... I've never reclaimed a fort though, so I don't know how well that would have worked.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2009, 09:19:57 pm »

It's okay. We can wait.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2009, 09:47:50 pm »

It seems that you handicapped yourself by using a civ far from your site of choice. Given the time it took just the first baron to show, you're in for a hell of a wait each time.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2009, 11:32:04 pm »

10th Galena, 207, Late Summer
-------------

Our 'secret' bunkers are coming along nicely.  I see that the workers have their priorities straight, of course; The drink stockpiles are almost full, while the food stockpiles are pretty much still empty.  As the barrels come in, I forbid them, ensuring that we'll have drinks.  Everybody knows about the project by now, and many are coming down here to take the booze.  Fortunately, nobody's questioning the odd location and the bed rooms and dining rooms they need to walk through to get to them... some are also enjoying the dining rooms.

I designate a path for some water so that we can get wells.  Only after they're dug, I realize I forgot to force the water through a crack to depressurize it, so I have some walls constructed to make it happen.

I notice a lot more activity around the drink piles than expected.  I check to see why and... huh.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apparently, the workers have discovered a more efficient way of stacking barrels.  Now why couldn't they do that upstairs?

Oh, and we finally fulfilled the demand of Sibrek Kuletnitig, the Hammerer.  You want a clear glass window in your bedroom?  We deliver.

What good is a window if it doesn't look at anything?  I did Sibrek a favor and had somebody drop a hoary marmot skull behind the glass, right next to his bed.  Watching.  Always watching.  While you sleep, Sibrek.  It will never stop watching you...

Obok črithkodor, one of the masons who originally embarked here with us, had a run-in with some wolves while trying to refresh a cage trap that caught one of them.  Fortunately, he escaped unscathed, and they didn't appear interested in him anyway.

I came to my room and found a note on my +Basalt throne+ from Asob.

Hi Zon!

The bunkers are coming along really nice, but construction sure is dirtying the place up!  Could you please make me 2 tin items to offset the mess that the diggers and haulers are making?

Thanks a bunch!
Asob

I crumple up the note in disgust.  Really, Asob, do you think you're a baron or something?  I'm starting to think this Mayor business is getting to her head - and she knows it's a bother, otherwise she'd have asked me directly rather than scratch an engraving in my throne to tell me to do it!  I grumble and order up some tin flasks at the forge.  While I'm at it, I notice a startling lack of picks and order up a pair.  These will be needed for the pits beneath the bridges in the entryways to our bunkers.

Sheesh!  Even Pesor Siti's representative, Bujit Quispeptamed, is in the spirit of making demands!

Not just any musical instrument... green glass musical instruments!  What a bizarre request, and from a bizarre source.  I am later told that they are to be special showpieces for an orchestra ordered for the promotion of human local leader Lelgo Kudpakadi, a human Master Lasher.  We'll be sure to forge lots of glass drums.  I'd be surprised if they get more than one use from them!  I hope he realizes we don't have any decent glass makers around here...

No sooner than the tin flasks are made than does Inod mandate the construction of three picks.  Heh... what, did she hear that I was already making two, and decided to one-up me?  Sheesh... I add one more pick to the queue to shut her up.

We celebrate the turn of autumn with the execution of the prisoners of the last siege.

This should keep morale up until the inevitable siege...

-------------
16th Limestone, Early Autumn, 207

Right on time... and again, the goblin siege prevents the caravan from The Swift Arches from arriving.  I was really hoping for another shipment of giant cave spider silk, but it wasn't meant to be.

Eight hammergobs, thirty wrestlers, one axegob, eight swordgobs, one guard, ten bowgobs, six lashers... sixty-four goblins total.  I was hoping the deaths of their leaders would have reduced the size of their attacks!  At least they're all coming from the south-east this time.

...Hmm, something doesn't seem right though.

I knew it!  At some point, we encountered a new goblin civ - this is the third one yet!  I ask around quickly, and many confirm that the Dungeons of Dye had been in contact with us at the beginning of Autumn, but not the beginning of Summer.  So... maybe Dodók Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving was wrong, and that siege last season was actually from the Dungoens of Dyeing?  You'd think they could at least wear a flag or something so we can tell them apart.

This is all we got?  Oh dear... we had a lot of injuries last season.  I didn't realize so much of our military was down!  I wonder how we'll fare...

Hold on a second... Is that Udil Nefekdastot standing out near the pond?  Why is she disobeying my orders?!

"Udil!  Get in here unless you want to get killed!!"

"But I'm attending a meeting!"

"Attending a meeting?!  With who, your untimely demise??"

"With Logem!  I am a dubious worshipper, but he's explaining some things to me!"

"Oh, well that's just great!  Could you kindly ask him to save the revelation until after the siege?!"

"Sorry, but you know how gods are!  He's right here in the water, and I don't know if he'll be there when I get back!  Funny thing, he looks exactly like me!"

"No, actually I don't!  Get over here now-- and bring your axe!"

"...You're putting me on duty??"

"Do you want to die a hero, or an idiot??"

I recruit and station Udil the untrained carpenter deep within the fortress... and then unrecruit her.  Honestly!  The stupidity of some dwarves!  Talking to her reflection in the water and thinking its her god??

The goblins are getting much, much smarter.  The bowgobs take to high ground that doesn't have easy access, but has a great vantage point on the enclosure where the warriors are stationed. 

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I hurry and move the soldiers onto the first drawbridge; we'll have to rely on a slightly different tactic this time!

Archibold chases down the remaining goblins from these packs, surely aiming to maintain his lead in highest kill count.  Meanwhile, the group of swordgobs and some wrestlers appear to remain indecisive.  One of them was shot down by one of the marksdwarves, and the rest decided to huddle together near the gopher they've slain.  Maybe they're keeping warm with its corpse.  Most likely, they plan on fleeing as well.

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I decide not to let that happen.

'Other Grendus' is lauded for killing seven goblins in this year, bringing is kill count to eleven.  He's now tied for third amongst champions.  Archibold's kills for the year 207 have risen to a staggering twenty-seven, and his total kill count is sixty-six notable kills and seven rhesus macaques.

It seems that Barduk the marksdwarf is responsible for the early kill of the swordgob party, bringing his total to three.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 11:15:46 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2009, 11:38:19 pm »

It seems that you handicapped yourself by using a civ far from your site of choice. Given the time it took just the first baron to show, you're in for a hell of a wait each time.

Are you sure it's not stalled by having prisoners in cages?  If it really is because I'm far away from my civ (it's still within the territory, but it's on the outer edge), I'm sort of tempted to start over... or do something else with this fort.
Do it.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 06, 2009, 02:31:06 am »

I crumple up the note in disgust.  Really, Asob, do you think you're a baron or something?  I'm starting to think this Mayor business is getting to her head - and she knows it's a bother, otherwise she'd have asked me directly rather than scratch an engraving in my throne to tell me to do it!

Zon... crumpled up an engraving on the throne?

Daaaamn.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 06, 2009, 07:30:23 am »

Hang on, has the dwarven caravan come since the last baron died?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 06, 2009, 12:18:16 pm »

I crumple up the note in disgust.  Really, Asob, do you think you're a baron or something?  I'm starting to think this Mayor business is getting to her head - and she knows it's a bother, otherwise she'd have asked me directly rather than scratch an engraving in my throne to tell me to do it!

Zon... crumpled up an engraving on the throne?

Daaaamn.

Normally I'd go back and edit, but you're right - that sounds pretty badass.  I'm going to leave it  ;D

Quote from: LegoLord
Hang on, has the dwarven caravan come since the last baron died?

No, but I've had sieges in both autumns so that's not likely to be relevant.

Just curious, why are you asking?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 12:20:36 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:33 pm »

Well, immigration is linked to the caravan succesfully arriving and leaving (I don't think it needs to profit, but that probably helps).  If you haven't been getting the caravan, word hasn't gotten back to the mountain homes that the "old" baron died.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

Oof... thanks a lot, goblins!!  So, on top of possibly having a long wait for the baron to actually reach the fort, chances are he/she probably hasn't even left yet because of the dwarven caravan being held up.

With three goblin civs on my civ screen now, chances of the attacks lightening up aren't very good.  I haven't checked histories lately to see where the last two sieges came from, but if they're now alternating between goblin civs then I have a lot of delays ahead of me...
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54