Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130422 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #240 on: November 29, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

Quote: Rude.

Just asking for logic. It was supposed to be pretty light actually, not abusive at all. But it seems without tone of voice things can easily be misconstrued on a forum.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:11:51 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2009, 09:58:44 pm »

I think we're confusing mood demands with noble demands. Also, I removed my last post, seemingly after you replied with your (quite rude) retort.

Enough of this.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:08 pm »

Not sure how it factors in adamantine, but you CAN get both moods and noble demands for anything regardless of ability to trade/mine/otherwiseharvest the materials.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:43 am »

True, but then, if any noble gets too pushy they have the lever. While Zon isn't the type to do something against the kings orders, if the people begin to fear the hammerer more than the king... has possibilities. You could always just say that he pulled the lever on his own...

Wow though, artifact adamantine buckler. And my dwarf got it, awesome. Wonder when the epic battle with the [REDACTED] will be.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 30, 2009, 03:17:37 am »

Maybe you could drive archibold and him berserk and set them on each other. They would have to both be berserk, or you'd be giving one an unfair advantage in battle.
The sigs topic:

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 30, 2009, 09:21:00 am »

Would be easier to do the same thing they did to compare Morul to Captain Ironblood, just load both into another map and make one hostile. Sides, I'm actually starting to gain some respect for Archibold. He's come a ways from the arrogant prick who grabbed an iron flail and smashed all the other recruits knee caps in.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 30, 2009, 06:34:31 pm »

He was just pissed they wouldn't give him the wooden mace he asked for and denied him permission to decorate his weapon with elf bone. Can you blame him?
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 30, 2009, 10:05:22 pm »

17th Hematite, 207, Early Summer
-------------

"Zon!!  My throne room, now!!"

I walk down the hall towards the king's chambers, my head held high.  Passersby cower away from me as if I have the plague, as if the king's anger might rub off onto them and find their skulls under the hammer as well.  Me?  What have I got to be worried about?  I'm sure King Minkot has a little steam to blow off, and I'm pretty positive I know why, and it isn't my fault.

I step into his chambers.  He is standing in the corner, frowning at his ≡Basalt,≡ +Gabbro,+ and clear glass weapon racks.  Probably wondering why I didn't have ¤Aluminum weapon racks¤ installed for him.  He paced back and forth, appraising the flaws in each one with great scrutiny.

"Do you know why I need five weapon racks in my quarters, Zon?"

"Probably because of all the battles you were in, your majesty."

The king stopped mid-pace, and narrowed his eyes.  "You speak often with the historian Dodók Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving.  I am certain, then, that you are aware that I have not been directly involved in combat."

I consider, briefly, taking a seat on the edge of Somberswallows the Odorous Typhoon, the Garnierite bed crafted by Asob, but again I am disgusted by the name of the horrid thing.  "You are correct, oh wise one.  Your mother was Domas Ulzestvucar, known by the humans as 'Wrungurns,' a farmer in the colony of Staffrhythmic, and later an animal dissector, and later still a guard of The Axe of Strikes.  Your father was Libash Etostsazir, 'Containbridged,' and he became a ranger in Staffrhythmic in 44, and became King of the Swift Arches in 163.  You were born in 164, and followed in his footsteps to become a ranger by 179."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"You know me better than I do, Zon.  I am pleased to see that you've taken such great interest in my past.  However, it will take more than that for me to forget your insults."

"Alright, forgive me for mentioning your lack of combat.  I meant nothing by it."

"That's only your most recent insult-- not counting your neglecting to call me 'your highness' just now!"

"Sorry, your majesty, you didn't let me finish."

"Mmm... Zon.  I am beginning to suspect you are growing... insubordinate of me.  Would this be an accurate assessment of our situation?"

"Your grace, if I may speak freely?"

"You may."

"You have given me but one order - one order this entire time.  Murder the barons and counts and dukes, and keep their consorts happy.  I have done this with dignity and sealed lips.  None know of what happens in that bottomless pit."

"Oh, ho!  Don't they?  What of the masons who built the narrow path?  What of the mechanic who personally assembled the lever and hatch mechanisms?  What about the weavers who daily venture in and out of the bottomless pit for silk, only to gaze down upon that platform and wonder about its purpose?  It is my opinion that you have done nothing to obscure this project's visibility from the public."

"Of course not, your highness.  This is intentional.  You see, if the laborers do not sense that I have something to hide, then they will suspect little.  I hide the trap in plain sight, and the people do not question it.  Surely, something that is so easily found couldn't be put to such gruesome use!"

"Hrmmm... I do not like your logic, Zon.  There are murmuring.  This I know, for I speak to the workers each and every day.  There are many rumors about its purpose, and some have even guessed correctly - I, personally, have been called upon time and again to lie to them and convince them otherwise.  I tell them it is a holy site, and one day a grand hero will travel here to cleanse the lands of goblins once and for all.  They shall enter the chamber and pull the lever to receive the anointment of Limul - should Limul reject the would-be hero, they are dumped into the bottomless pit, never to be seen again.  The true hero will be one who stands after his blessing of rain."

"That's a great story, your royal smartness, but now if a noble survives, the people will expect them to become their hero."

"That sounds like your mess to clean up, Zon Rimtarothil."

He abbreviated my title on purpose!  He can't do that!  I... I earned that name!  With sweat and blood and steel, I protected this home with my life!  He can't just remove Afentumam from my name... can he??

"This, however, is even less a grievous insult than the one which wounds me most.  You have failed to produce a corpse this year, Zon!  How do you explain this?"

"May I speak freely, your highness?"

"No.  I shall suffer no further disrespect from the likes of you.  You shall give me sound reason, and you shall do so with the respect I deserve."

With all the respect a king of only twelve years deserves?  "Your grace... My duty is here, in Severedcoils.  My orders are to dispose of the nobles who approach.  Insofar as your orders to me are concerned, I have not been tasked with actually attracting nobles.  If it is your wish that I advertise the fortress to the lands and attract attention, I will gladly appoint someone to do so."

The king kicked the clear glass weapon rack against the wall.  It clattered to the floor, and he seemed genuinely surprised when it didn't break.  Unsatisfied, he approached me menacingly.  "You listen to me, Zon Rimtarothil.  I am your King.  You do not speak to me like a commoner!  You do not embarass my presence with your XX(cave spider silk clothing)XX and your underhanded, smart-mouthed tone!"

"You were asking about your five weapon racks, your highness," I interrupt him with perfect timing between sentences - just before he was either going to order me to bow to him, or to be executed.  "They are symbolic of your parents and siblings, am I correct?"

"My-- what?  What are you talking about?  I am an only child - the only heir to the throne of The Swift Arches!"

"But, your majesty!  You are the fourth child of the great King Libash Etostsazir and his wife Domas Wrungurns!  You have two sisters, Dodók Daggersaviors and Erush Portalbeaches, who are both very old and wise yet still alive."

"Stop at once..."

"And of course, your elder brother Medtob Sensedstockade, born only four years before you.  I wonder, though, why they have been removed from your personal records.  It's all right here..."

"So help me, Zon, you will take these secrets to your flooded grave!"

"I swear it, your majesty.  You have absolutely nothing to fear from me.  These halls confine your secrets, and take it from me... there isn't another soul amongst The Swift Arches willing to keep those secrets from the public for you, or to protect your throne without question of your controversial mission."

"And how do I know you won't betray me?"

"Because I have no interest in your power, your majesty."

"No, I know you don't... power isn't what drives you, Zon.  It's fame.  From the beginning, it's always been about being remembered as something more than a fisherdwarf.  And who in the lands is more famous than the King himself?"

"But my lord, I am quite content-- nay, ecstatic with the level of responsibility I currently have.  I needn't any more."

"Pray then to Limul that you do not find your way under my suspicious eye again, Zon Rimtarothil.  Good day."

The farewell bow is the one gesture I can't marmot my way out of, and I make a pretty good show of doing so before exiting the room.

"Hi, Zon!"  Asob, of course, bounds down the hall to hug me.  "Hey, you're not dead or on the way to pull the lever, are you?"

"You.  Drink.  With me.  Now.  We need to talk about some new arrangements."  Before she can protest, I haul Asob along to the drink stockpile to grab our favorite wines.

((Commentary))
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:08:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2009, 11:12:40 pm »

Nomal Ibelurist reports a rare gem cluster containing both lapis lazuli and red flash opal!  Now that's interesting... I've never seen two gems so close together before!  I wonder if this is a sign from Logem, the god of minerals and jewels...
dunno if you've seen this before or if you're just acting in character, but:
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 01, 2009, 12:46:39 am »

17th Hematite, 207, Early Summer (evening)
-------------

"You need to be more careful, Zon.  What are you doing making such powerful enemies??"

"Nevermind that... There are far worse threats lurking below us than the King."

"You mean..."

"Adamantine."

I gulp down the rest of my dwarven wine, which was more than half of the +Alunite mug.+  Asob fidgets with her -Birchen cup,- having barely sipped her strawberry wine.

"Zon... is there really something lurking behind those walls?"

"Oh, believe me... there is.  And as greed overtakes this fort, and as moods continue to drive crafters to wanting more, we'll get closer.  I've seen it once before.  Very few of us abandoned the fortress in time.  The rest..."

"Oh my..."

"I was traumatized by the things I had seen.  Somehow, after years of hydrotherapy--"

"You mean, having someone dunk you repeatedly underwater?"

"...Yes, that... somehow I've managed to... repress those memories.  But it cost me my faith... after what I had witnessed - whatever it was - I... just haven't had the same trust in the gods."

"You mean you don't remember what you saw??"

"I remember blood... lots of blood, and death, and screaming.  And... no!  Don't make me recall it..."

"Alright, alright!  Um, let's talk about something else then!  So what are these arrangements you were talking about?"

"The arrangements!  Right.  They're almost complete, actually.  You've probably noticed a modification to your dining room recently..."

"Not really, no.  I've been sleeping in my old 1x2 and eating in the main dining hall.  For old time's sake."

"What?  Why would you do that?"

"Um, because the sound of all that construction you have going on right beneath me is too noisy?"

"Oh... sorry.  Well, you're going to love what I've been doing down there!  Come on."

We venture to Asob's dining room.  My dining room contains the same modifications, but I start with hers.

"The hardest spot was picking the right spot for the hatch.  Every square urist in this room is engraved, and I didn't want to ruin any!  But I noticed the engravers haven't touched the rock beneath your table and chair, so I moved the chair aside to put in a hatch."

"A hatch?  Well, where does it go?"

"I'm glad you asked!"

"Wow!  Is this what I think it is?"

"Yep!  Secret bunkers, built right into our dining rooms.  If things get too dicey, we just hide out in our own private rooms and wait it out.  There will be stockpiles of food and booze, masterpiece furniture to keep us happy, and the entryway will be secured with a retracting bridge over a small pit!"

"What if we fall into the pit?"

"I'm going to drop a pick inside each one.  That way, if we or anyone else we think is safe to keep falls in, we'll allow them to dig themselves out!"

"And, um... why do the rooms have to be separate?"

"Well... look, above all else, I'm fearing a tantrum spiral.  Some day, theoretically there will be too many consort demands for us to keep up with, and the whole place will break into a riot.  Many of our friends could be killed, and... well, I don't want us to hurt each other if we go mad."

"Aw!  That's thoughtful.  But we shouldn't be the only ones with these bunkers.  You need to build several individual bunkers for important workers, like miners and farmers."

"Yes, in due time.  Look, Fikod Rigňthishen is digging the pit right at this very moment!"

"Crud."

Knowing I'm likely to forget later, I shoot a hurried order for Fikod to build a bridge across the gap so that he and Nomal Ibelurist the Engraver can get back across.  I race upstairs and take a look at the field of battle.

"Wow... two squads to the west, and one north, south, and east of us-- they came from all sides."

The goblins have come in nearly double the force of the siege of Autumn 205.  There are seventy-one invaders total as opposed to the last siege's forty-one... There isn't time to count every single rank.  I hurriedly recruit some of the workers.  There are plenty of obsidian swords by now, so I give them those.  I keep the recruits inside the gate, protecting the caravan.  We needn't waste their lives unless absolutely necessary.

Archibold, just recently out of bed from his injury, runs up to me as if his leg was never broken.  "Zon Rimtarothil!  Humans are reported amongst the enemy again!"

"What did you call me?"

"Err... Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam.  I thought you were never truly attached to that name...?"

"Nevermind, it isn't important at the moment.  Somehow, I knew we weren't done seeing humans amongst the goblins, but this is the first time they've appeared during a siege - and hey, would you look at that, they've come while the humans of Pesor Siti are here trading with us.  What a coincidence."

"Dodók Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving says that they all come from Smoszmzolak, 'The Released Sins.'  I say I'm running out of space to put notches on my (≡«-Iron flail-»≡)!

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) "Then make some room on your Steel high boot!  Just get out there and bring me some goblin bones!!"

There's a lull in the fighting.  Enough time to count bodies... Five dead on our side, including three champions... oh, no... thirty-eight other corpses, but this includes dogs and goblins.  Twenty-one invaders still on the loose, again not counting the six we now have caged.  Many, many injured on our side.  Reports indicate the goblins are still coming.

"Everyone regroup!  Here come the rest of them!!"

We wait for quite some time.  Another puppy trap is set off by a group of mostly speargobs and lashers.  We watch them come very close to the gate, stall a moment, and then change their mind and turn around.

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Archibold screams.  "Don't let them retreat!  Show them no mercy!!"

Enraged with battle vigor, and glee for their hard-fought victory, the militia come back hooting and hollering.

"Aah, if only there were more goblins to kill!" 'Other Grendus' laughs.

"Oh, but there are.  The birds have been eyeing them up hungrily for quite some time now..."

The militia grin and nod in understanding.  ((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Once and for all, Olngö Dospoem Tokxemösmlo Smaxa, goblin axe lord and local leader, is put out of our misery.  Only four major players remain amongst The Released Sins - their ruler, two high priests, and one with the peculiar rank of "Goblin."

"So, Archibold," Asob inquires, "how many kills are you up to?"  I find this surprising, considering her writings about Archibold before.  Perhaps she's had a change of heart?

"Fifty-six notable kills and seven rhesus macaques... Included are both local leaders of The Released Sins."

"Hm?  You don't sound as enthusiastic about it as you used to."

"Yeah, well..." Archibold solemnly wiped some guts off of Kobembetan, 'Troubledcalm,' the grizzly bear leather buckler.  "When I hit fifty, I kind of realized that it quit being fun somewhere around thirty-five.  I mean, there are only so many ways you can snap a tibia... splattering goblin brains in a brilliant spray of purple and grey matter just doesn't have the same thrill as it did the first time, y'know?"

"Oh, no!  You're not thinking of retiring, are you?"

"I couldn't.  I have a reputation to live up to, people who aspire to fight like me.  I'm an inspiration from the fortress, and for once I'm not trying to be an arse about it.  A fortress needs heroes to drive others to become heroes themselves."

"Well... in that case, you'd better go back to playing the crowd!"

"Ah... yes, yes, that part never does get old!  Fifty-six, everybody!!  Who's gonna top that?!  I'll tell ya!  Nobody!  Hahaha!!  Round of drinks for everybody!  Meet ya in the statue garden - let's try to get that grizzly bear drunk again!"

In celebration, the workers re-elect Asob Momuzzokun as mayor of Severedcoils!  This calls for a round of dwarven-- err, make that strawberry wine!  Oh, wait... they're already getting rounds.  Well, whatever, I'll take two then.

((Commentary))
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 08:52:20 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 01, 2009, 12:47:47 am »

Nomal Ibelurist reports a rare gem cluster containing both lapis lazuli and red flash opal!  Now that's interesting... I've never seen two gems so close together before!  I wonder if this is a sign from Logem, the god of minerals and jewels...
dunno if you've seen this before or if you're just acting in character, but:

A lot of my acting in character is drawn from my own experience, so yes, that really was the first time I had seen two gem clusters together.  Seeing three is even better!  What gems are those?
Do it.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 01, 2009, 03:52:27 am »

Archibold is going to die of Retirony, isn't he? ._.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 01, 2009, 06:39:39 am »

Not a chance! Of course if I wanted my dwarf to be the ultimate badass I'd request a sword user from Kenbo, but I don't see Archibold dying to anything less than a megabeast or perhaps a lucky fireball. On the note of "true champions", my favorite little swordmaster has 92 kills without participating in any more battles than the other champions. It's amazing what one guy with the ability to instantly sever limbs can do! No one else will even get close to that count. I may remove all of his armor and dump him in the arena with a half-dozen named orcs and goblin local leaders and a Titan and a Dragon and see what happens. Still looking for that dragon. And with the Dwarf Companion I can team them up against each other, etc.

I recommend Dwarf Companion if you want to check out just how badass your dwarves really are. For instance: my starting miner is now at miner skill 28: that's legendary +18, even though after +5 it has no effect beyond stat increase. You can see all kinds of coolness with it, and cheat if you are so inclined. I loaded it to end an endless fall bug.

How would you feel about people writing little side stories or goofy narrations between your legit reporting, Sir Calrissian?
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 01, 2009, 01:00:36 pm »

Quote from: The Architect
How would you feel about people writing little side stories or goofy narrations between your legit reporting, Sir Calrissian?

Like, fanfiction?  That sounds awesome, but please do it in a separate thread - if you want to link to it whenever you make an update, that's fine.  I'd like to keep the flow of the story intact for the sake of future readers.

Generally, I'm cool with the level of commenting on the story we have right now - in fact, I encourage the feedback.  Seriously, if there was absolutely nothing going on between posts, it wouldn't be worth it for me to put the amount of time into an update that I do - notice that the updates are getting longer, even though much less time is passing in-game between them.  That's partially due to having FPS of 25, but it's also because I'm seeing overall that this style of narration is working out.  I'm OK with seeing game tips every now and then, too.  Also, I recall a long time ago (like, page 2) somebody mentioned fanart.  I definitely don't have a problem with seeing that in this thread since it's more than likely to enhance the story rather than deviate from it.

Things that generally aren't related to the core story, like in-depth conversations about game mechanics, I would prefer separate threads for them.  You're more than welcome to post a link to a new thread if you want.  On occasion, I do this myself, for example I posted in the Questions thread about the deflection bonus on the artifact adamantine buckler.  I just haven't been linking back to them; I probably will in the future.  Fanfiction falls under this category since I won't consider it canon, but I'd love to see it anyway - and if it's particularly well-written, I might make references to it in story, in which case those references would become canon ;)

(By the way, reminder for Legon: You can choose a different dwarf if you want to name another.  I'm not sure if you missed me saying this earlier, but I intend to keep the sheriff in veggie state to protect my dwarves from justice harm)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:03:34 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 01, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »

Not a chance! Of course if I wanted my dwarf to be the ultimate badass I'd request a sword user from Kenbo, but I don't see Archibold dying to anything less than a megabeast or perhaps a lucky fireball. On the note of "true champions", my favorite little swordmaster has 92 kills without participating in any more battles than the other champions. It's amazing what one guy with the ability to instantly sever limbs can do! No one else will even get close to that count. I may remove all of his armor and dump him in the arena with a half-dozen named orcs and goblin local leaders and a Titan and a Dragon and see what happens. Still looking for that dragon. And with the Dwarf Companion I can team them up against each other, etc.

Not bad. My current strongest dwarf was Zefon. The save crashed and I didn't have a backup, so she's lost to time, but she had over 300 kills to her name including the killing stroke on a GCSQ from Dig Deeper. She tended to end up with a lot of kills, she was the leader of the squad "The Long Merchants" who were my default squad for patrolling against ambushes and snatchers. Most noteable was the time when, with a mangled right leg from battling one group of bow orcs (killing 7 and crippling 4 more) she hobbled back across the map with her two remaining Merchants to join my other squad in battling the hammer and spear orcs. While shrugging off the pain of a mangled leg, she killed the two elite orcs, smacking one so hard he exploded 20 urists away. All without her baby shield getting hurt. In another amusing anecdote, one time she chased a goblin master thief across the map to get her baby back. Two squares from the edge, she finally caught up and curbstomped the goblin - one hit kill. I may just not have seen it, but I swear never got a head from that guy.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54