Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130396 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #210 on: November 26, 2009, 02:23:09 am »

The humies have gods of darkness, murder, torture, and thralldom? Oh snaps. Next they're going to be worshiping trees.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 26, 2009, 02:23:20 am »

Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 26, 2009, 03:49:01 am »

That list of gods is kind of awesome.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 26, 2009, 10:54:54 pm »

"Other Grendus" got at least one kill. It's hard to tell, really, not used to the ASCII graphics set. Awesome.

This is actually reminding me a lot of Nist Akath, where random events tend to form wild conspiracy theories. Very interesting.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2009, 12:00:50 am »

Don't get excited, no update tonight.  Just a few comments as I'm digging around through histories... still trying to find the source of the human-lead goblin attacks.

'Other Grendus' has five kills - he killed one humie in 204, one gob in 205, two gobs in 206, and one gob in 207, which would have been from the latest ambush.  Your title is now "Furyroofs the Imprisoned Taxes."

By the way, it is incredibly important to note that in my histories install, after abandoning Severedcoils the dwarves from The Crypt of Castles formed a new government called 'The Fleshy Fountain.'  I wish I was kidding.

Also, one of the gods from another of the human civs I've been in contact with, 'The Empires of Rasping,' holds a very peculiar dominion.  I'm waiting to reveal that in narration, though!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2009, 12:15:49 am »

Don't get excited, no update tonight.  Just a few comments as I'm digging around through histories... still trying to find the source of the human-lead goblin attacks.

Wait, you're serious about that? I thought it was just part of your characterization and storytelling. Goblins kidnap other races during world generation, and those individuals become a part of goblin society. There's nothing to research. At most you might find the log where a specific human was captured, if those events are even recorded. Those humans exist as "Prisoners"/slaves within the goblin society, but they can lead military squads.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2009, 12:46:53 am »

Wait, you're serious about that? I thought it was just part of your characterization and storytelling. Goblins kidnap other races during world generation, and those individuals become a part of goblin society. There's nothing to research. At most you might find the log where a specific human was captured, if those events are even recorded. Those humans exist as "Prisoners"/slaves within the goblin society, but they can lead military squads.

In my latest fortress, EVERY SINGLE SQUAD has been human-led. And there's always been a single elf every year. The elf always ends up in my cage-traps and in the POW camp, awaiting the completion of my wonderful arena =w=
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2009, 01:02:33 am »

My apologies for slightly derailing your topic, Kenbo! But here I go.

You know, I can't decide if my small number of sieges is due to one or both of the civs (orc or goblin) being far away and taking forever to arrive, delaying the time that the other sends a siege, OR
if it's just my imagination due to the 10fps I'm currently experiencing (HFS is KILLING me!)
Just so you know, it's sure as hell not wealth-related and my pop is over 140 thanks to births.

I am curious as to whether anyone can shed any light on that, and also curious as to whether a cave-in will smash SoF's. And as soon as those *@!#$!@ elves run out of good critters to bring me, I'm going to cut every damn lag-inducing tree down on my map! I have thousands no doubt, and I can only cut 100 or so a year... so I pick out a small section and hack it right after the elven noble has finished. Anyone know if the counter goes on during his visit, and if so does it count in the last year's total or the new year's total?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2009, 01:04:52 am »

Siege squads can even be led by dwarves.

Furthermore, if they were born within the goblin civilization (e.g. two prisoners married), then they will have Goblin names, otherwise they will retain their original names. In my first successful fortress, I captured a dwarf Hammer Lord named "Zom Ūrerkutsmob Ngoru Dedge", and he turned out to be a Local Leader - looking in Legends mode, two dwarves (with normal Dwarven names) were abducted from their civilizations and later married within the Goblin civ, and all of their children had Goblin names.

When you fight those abducted from other civilizations, said civilizations may then appear within your (c)iv list.

Anyone know if the counter goes on during his visit, and if so does it count in the last year's total or the new year's total?

The new counter appears as soon as you negotiate a limit, and the old one doesn't go away until you discuss your previous agreement. Note that you don't have to accept a tree-cutting quota - if you decline it, it'll make them unhappy, but it'll allow you to cut all the wood you want for the rest of that year (not exactly certain, but it's likely they'll be less angry about you refusing a quota than you accepting it and then violating it).
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 01:09:57 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 27, 2009, 11:46:54 am »

If a goblin civ conquers a human civ, the goblins may have a lot of humans in their society. In one of my forts, every single squad was human lead. I was selling human skull totems to the human traders (which, I believe, was against their ethics but they never complained). Current mechanics for civ takeover merely have the two civs merge, as opposed to options like xenocide, slavery, serfdom, rebuilding, etc.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 27, 2009, 01:54:38 pm »

This is all helpful, yet extremely obvious information  ;D 

Of course I know that gob squads can be lead by captured humies/dwarves/elves.  I'm researching for the sake of the story.  I find that the addition of actual world history is adding a lot to the flavor of this narration, so I'm not willing to settle for "Oh, they must have been captured."  I want to find out WHO captured them, WHERE they came from originally, and WHAT HAPPENED to their relatives.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:04 pm »

10th Slate, 207, Mid-Spring
-------------

"Ew, get it away!"

"Augh, stupid cave swallowman!"

"Save the children!!"

I walk into the clothing industry area and notice a commotion.

"Hey, what's all this about?  Something about a cave swallowman?"

Cog Zocoldomas, dyer, threw his cave spider silk thread to the ground.  "There's a cave swallowman here!"

I hefted my (Steel battle axe) over my shoulder.  "Well, well!  Where is it?  I'll cleave its head clean off!"

"Over there," pointed the craftsdwarf ThĪkut Ninurkol.  "We can't get our work done with it around!"

I walk over towards the wall where the assorted crafters were pointing.  "Where?  I don't see it."

Udil Vucaradil, Farmer, shouted "I's on th o'er side o' th' wall!  I's 'orrible!!"  Udil held her baby Mebzuth Febiden high in the air.  "Take m' babe an' keep 'r safe!!"

"Whaaaat?!"

The jeweler īton Munčstlorbam interpreted "She said it's on the other side of the wall, and you should take her baby to make sure she stays safe."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"On the other-- are you kidding me?!  That cave swallowman can't reach us!  You aren't in any danger!"

"Oh, no Zon, we aren't worried about it attacking us," said ThĪkut.  "That cave swallowman is committing a depraved act!  It's whispering naughty words through a crack in the wall!"

"...Seriously.  You've learned to speak their language?"

All four dwarves shuffled their feet awkwardly.  Mebzuth the baby chewed on Udil's beard.  "Well... not exactly," said Cog, "but if we could, we're sure it would be talking dirty to us!"

"Moi babe d'n't need t' b' 'earin' such bad sp'ch!  She gon' gro' 'p t' b' th' l'g'n'd'ries' conv'rs'tion'list ev'r!"

"...Ok, really, Udil, maybe you should let the father Urvad Dodókäkil raise her if you want her to 'grow up to be the legendariest conversationalist ever.'"

"Wow, you understood her that time?  I sure didn't..."  īton furrowed his brow.

I take a peek through the crack, and see the beady eye of the cave swallowman Melbil Matchedhammers peeking back at me.  He started scratching at the wall and clucking and chirping.

"Well, I don't know what it's saying, but you're right in a way.  That sound is awful.

"What should we do, Zon?"  asked ThĪkut.

I thought a while, then smirked.  "Oh, I have an idea.  You'll just have to wait and see."

Actually, this experience has given me two ideas.  The workers are clearly easy to upset... sure they're ecstatic now, but I begin thinking of the distant future.  Some day, these halls will be filled with consorts giving demands, and at some point we won't be able to accomodate them all.  Rioting will erupt, and soon everyone will be at each other's throats.

I begin a secret project... This must also be kept secret from the king.  I'm hesitant to write about it now.  Perhaps I'll wait and let the results reveal themselves as the project unfolds...

'Scuse me, bumped into another snatcher with my axe.  Now where was I...

I forgot to make pipes for the exercise room, so I ask for several more of those.  Freaking Tekkud the Tax Collector jumps on the bandwagon and asks for two more trifle pewter items.  Seriously, this guy is more work than the count consort!  More goblets, coming up... while they're at it, I see that the smelters are used to create more trifle pewter bars.  The way this guy goes along demanding things made of them, we're bound to run out!

Imush the blind peasant makes a valiant effort at operating the pump, but can't seem the find the handles and decides to sleep on it instead.  Poor Imush... he was a pretty decent marksdwarf when he had eyes.

"Cave swallowman!  Yargh!!"

Asob Momuzzokun is yelling about the cave swallowmen too?  Ugh, what-- oh!

One of them actually did get inside!  It must have got in through the weaver's access into the bottomless pit.  Asob charges him, but Tekkud Usirudil the legendary stonecrafter reaches him first and kills it.  Asob goes back to smelting, a new job she's opted to take on.  Meanwhile, I decide it's time to start mining out the granite layers for cassiterite.  We're going to need tin if we're going to make trifle pewter, and right now we don't have any source of it.

Oh, wait... found it!  Hmmm... further inspection shows that there's a patch cropping out of the bottomless pit, too.  Looks like we'll be good as soon as we tap into those veins!

Nomal Ibelurist reports a rare gem cluster containing both lapis lazuli and red flash opal!  Now that's interesting... I've never seen two gems so close together before!  I wonder if this is a sign from Logem, the god of minerals and jewels...

"Speaking of that," Asob interrupts.

"Asob!  Are you reading over my shoulder again?"

"That, and I'm practicing my ambusher skill.  Pretty good, huh?"

"Pretty good... for a broker."

"Har, har.  Speaking of that, um, you should stop that science experiment where you keep having Dodók's kid intentionally cave in things.  He's getting mad."

"But Asob, don't you see?  I created matter!  What if I could do that with adamantine?!"

"Actually, you just knocked down the rocks on the upper level. Take a look at your map sketches and observe the 10 loose stones between the two sections from what I can only assume was originally a wall that was then deconstructed.  Come to think of it, I think I even helped deconstruct that wall!"

"Eh?  No, but... but... stone... blocks..."

"Zon, I know you struggle with this, but you can't force it.  Give it time.  What makes you so doubtful, anyway?"

"Hum, let's see... Goblins killed my cat and my boyfriend, a giant bat killed six migrants before coming after me--"

"But you were dubious even before we made this trip out here.  Surely, it must be something--"

"Something no one will ever know, and we'll leave it at that."

"...I see.  Just remember, out of the entire fort, you and I are tied for most friends!"

"Most?  I only have six friends..."

"Zon, 80% of the dwarves here have no friends.  Most are lucky to have even one.  The only dwarves in this entire fortress to have three or more friends are the King and the original seven who embarked here."

"...Oh... have I really kept everyone that busy?"

"There's a lot to do around here, I don't blame you."

"I kind of do."

"Well, at least you have your kick-ass underground island crypt!"

"...Um, had.  There was kind of an accident."

Asob shook her head.  "You work yourself too hard.  I always see you either fishing or chopping trees!  Don't you ever get tired?"

I sigh.  "Yes, I suppose... but there's walls to fortify, and booze to brew, and a river to find, and goblins to fight, and my secret proj--"

"Secret project?  Oooh!  Let's grab some wine and you can tell me all about it!"

"You and your strawberry wine... Somehow, Asob, that's really fitting for you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:54:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:05 pm »

9th Felsite, 207, Late Spring (by Asob Momuzzokun)
-------------

Hello Zon's diary!  Zon needed to take a vacation, so I'm sitting this one in.  I think she might be fishing over her future grave... kinda macabre, there.  I hope she's coming down with a mood!

No, no, no!  The mist generator went empty!  The water must have evaporated out of the system... blast it all!  Well, not all things are perpetual... I'll have to have someone pull the lever and let the right amount of water in again.

Zon's cave swallowman solution is ready for testing, too.

Here, birdy birdy birdy...

A fey mood strikes an armorer!  What luck!  Hm, wait a second, didn't we have a piece of adamantine laying around somewhere?  Yes, we have exactly one bundle of adamantine wafers!  I forbid all metal in the fortress to force Zulban to use it as a base... after that, I unforbid only steel.  I don't know if armor decorations count toward protection, but I know that fancy decorations aren't practical in battle.

This is so not my style... I mean, I've always DREAMED of seeing a proud dwarf riding into battle wearing solid gold plate mail, with hanging rings of Horn silver, encircled with bands of tin,  and menacing with spikes of carnelian... on the item is images of beds and crosses... but Zon would be mad if I let something like that happen.  It's impractical, and anyway, it's likely to get the wearer hurt.  Even I wouldn't sacrifice a fellow dwarf's safety for the sake of art... well, unless their sacrifice of safety was the theme of said art... oh, blast, this is so hard to do!  Stand firm, Asob... This is a rare opportunity.  You can't give it up for petty vanity.

...Huh, he hasn't started... what's going on?

Meep.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:56:20 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 27, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »

Ha, pretty good! How long until a new baron?

By the way, there's a messed up image link in the last post.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #224 on: November 27, 2009, 11:34:52 pm »

Looking back at the earlier map snapshots on DFMA, those 10 rocks came from the original outer wall of that barracks area before the outdoor farm was built next to it - at some time during the year 205, the wall was torn down.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 54