Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130399 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2009, 12:15:38 am »

When will the next map of the whole thing be released?

Next update.  I just hit 1st of Spring today and the maps are already exported, they just aren't uploaded though.  I didn't narrate because I was showing somebody the game and they got pretty darn interested, even though nothing interesting happened anyway.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it :)  Who knows, I might even dig out the map generation seed, since personally I find it to be a very interesting location.  Magma pipe placed conveniently close to a brook, bottomless pit, chasm, HFS, underground river with waterfall (somewhere, still haven't discovered it), red sand, two types of flux, both types of natural coal... the only thing it's missing is a GCS, otherwise it would be as good as Dwarf Heaven.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:25:36 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2009, 08:43:28 am »

Sounds like a cool place to do some other fun things alongside your consort accumulation challenge. How big is it?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2009, 01:18:41 pm »

The smallest you can get to fit all the features is 6x5, which is what I'm playing with.

Seed has been added to the first post, which also contains embark information to help you find the spot.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2009, 02:30:37 pm »

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'm busy with a laggy mess of a great map right now; the trees and overabundance of livestock are just killing me. All will be well when I destroy the trees (my stone is under 5k including constructions), but I can't obliterate the forest yet because I still need the elves' good graces to complete my exotic animal collection!

When I have finished with this experiment map (includes fluid logic and a volcano inside a fort inside a volcano) that will be a cool place to check out. Generated with any mods?
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2009, 05:01:22 pm »

Nope, it's vanilla.
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2009, 09:49:48 pm »

Ah, mist generators. The first time I used mist was to keep everyone happy during the Great Beer Drought. Ironically, the resulting flood killed half a dozen dwarves and nearly caused a tantrum spiral itself.

This is perhaps the most interesting fort "blog" that I've ever read. The diabolical characters combined with your excellent narration make it a lot of fun to follow.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #201 on: November 24, 2009, 10:19:44 am »

I personally prefer AncientEnemy's uber mist generator - it's compact, requires a very small amount of water (two bucketfuls are enough to keep it running indefinitely, and it can cover an arbitrarily large area. The only downside is the machine power requirement.

My current fort has 4 large mist generators, each composed of 24 screw pumps. The entire setup consumes close to 1500 power - the fort's main power system has 22 water wheels and also powers 2 pump stacks (1 for filling the magma tank under the forging area, and another to keep the water tank full).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 24, 2009, 09:50:49 pm »

Uber Mist Generator:

The work of a genius, abusing statues like that. Haha! And I thought there was no use for the (object falls between layers) bug! I have an interesting and frustrating instance if it right now within my volcano castle. Half my solid obsidian walls have obsidian rocks sitting on them between the layers. It could be avoided if I took more time with it, but I'm not THAT patient. It may be repaired later but still it's a damn funny/annoying sight right now. Another fun one is inaccessible body parts thrown up on top of fortifications. At least they rot.

It would be cool to see more of your inventions and ideas implemented and shown off.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 24, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »

I've done that before by deconstructing floors above fortifications.  I seriously thought the fortifications had deconstructed when I first saw rocks where they should have been.

Oh, update tomorrow evening promised!  Sorry for the delay, it really has been a busy weekend +2 days...
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 24, 2009, 11:54:12 pm »

I've done that before by deconstructing floors above fortifications.  I seriously thought the fortifications had deconstructed when I first saw rocks where they should have been.

Oh, update tomorrow evening promised!  Sorry for the delay, it really has been a busy weekend +2 days...

Yay having a life! I love it. College did it for me, never had much of one in highschool. Don't apologize to us for being more than a computer nerd; it's great to be a rounded person with things to do.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 26, 2009, 12:00:40 am »

2nd Granite, 207, Early Spring
-------------

((Map)) I take some time to update the sketches of our fort layout.  A lot of digging took place last year, but the entire past winter has been dull.  I was very tempted to release the eagles on those goblins, but I don't think the giant eagle chicks would survive the fight.  We'll wait a while... Let the goblins sweat it out.  Let them watch their soon-to-be-killers grow into adults.

I did have a lot of time to think on my experiences here.  Particularly, I've reflected upon my dubious relationship with my religion, and for other religions for that matter.  Reading previous entries in this diary, I am ashamed at my relentless attacks upon the gods of our world - gods whom, I realize, I know very little about!

I had another talk with Dodók Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving on the matter.  I've come to respect him as a well-educated historian as well as a titled, sword-wielding killing machine.  Though a faithful worshiper of Logem, he unfortunately knew little about other religions, but he at least knew the names of each god worshiped here in Severedcoils and what they represent.  Something, I meekly admit, that even I hadn't taken the time to learn.

Kovest, my god, is the deity of wealth and trade.  That explains how I've managed not to anger him without even knowing what he did... my practical, profitable nature served him well even without my realizing it.  The infamous Asën is not a deity of art at all; his domain is metals.  I must remember this the next time I rely on the steel of my axe in battle... it's a wonder my blade hasn't failed me with all the blasphemy I've spoken of him!  Limul, a name I hear very rarely around these halls, is associated with mountains.  King Minkot's deity of choice is Nikot the Ray of Robustness, a god of fortresses and lightning.  Strangely enough, this describes the king quite well...  Last but not least, we have Dodók's god (and one that for some reason is popular amongst the military) Logem, whose dominion entails minerals and jewels.

It would seem I have a lot to be thankful for from them all, even if they don't always seem to be present... I wish they'd give me some kind of sign of their presence, then maybe I wouldn't be as dubious.

Udil Vucaradil, a Farmer, gave birth to a girl today.  That's great.  We need less mothers in the military... and out of the mines, for that matter.

The obsidian pit has been cleared, so I order the plug opened to allow more magma in.  Ugh... It takes forever for a dwarf to walk over there, but it will take even longer to fill the room to at least 2.  The magma is filled, and the water is poured over it.  This time, we use the lever that's in the dining room, and there's much less spillover.

Other dwarves are making use of the pump near the wells, so I have a few more constructed.  Might as well make an exercise room out of it.  After all, it keeps the dwarves busy, and I hate to see a lot of idlers.  But first, I need to get more blocks and more screws.

The elves will be coming soon.  I enter Asob's office to make sure she's prepared.

"Asob?  Are you here?"

No answer.  Huh, I wonder where she is.  I start to leave through her bedroom, and that's when I notice something sitting atop her ¤Basalt cabinet¤ - a green book with human lettering.  It has the seal of Pesor Siti, our human merchants.  Hm!  I flip open the cover, and see that it is a book of histories and records.  It must have been left behind by Bujit Quispeptamed.  I recall again the attacks we had from the goblins who were lead by humans.  I turn the next page, and... no.  I decide that I shouldn't go further.  Asob is my friend, and I know she'd be pretty mad about this invasion of her privacy.  I close the book and leave her room, making a note to ask her about it later.

I notice something odd happening in the barracks... Two guards, Bëmbul Medtobók and Endok Amast, have been wrestling for days.  Both are thirsty, but they won't let up!  What on earth are they doing?  Do they plan on wrestling until one or the other is killed?  Come on, I don't need to replace another guard... Instead, I decide to cave in the wall around them.  Maybe that will knock them loose.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh dear... Unfortunately, the wall I needed to remove first created a popular path for the militia, and there were several nearby when the floor collapsed.  What's worse, the King himself triggered the collapse, so he went for a little ride!

Somebody's cat took the brunt of the cave-in.  Further inspection reveals damage to the cat's spleen, throat, upper spine, and lower spine.  Everybody else survived without a scratch.  Bëmbul Medtobók and Endok Amast immediately go off to get food and drink after wrestling each other for two solid weeks straight.  Honestly, do I need to babysit my guards or something?

The elves come.  I see people carrying only a few bins containing crafts, which is all that is necessary.  We get all that we need from the elves by giving them only four giant cave spider silk amulets.  I missed Asob, she's already come and gone from the depot.

Taking a closer look at the barracks, I notice something odd... how much basalt is lying in there??  After putting the wall and floor back together, I count ten more pieces of basalt lying in and around the barracks, some rocks stacked atop one another.

Wait... In total, one wall and two floors were deconstructed, causing a third piece of floor to fall.  That would total four rocks.  After the dust settled, there were many rocks scattered.  The wall and three floors have been replaced with the stones that were lying around, and yet there are ten more rocks on the ground.  What... how...

BLOODY ARMOK, I HAVE CREATED MATTER!!  It must be the sign from the gods I asked for!

...Wait a second.

SCIENCE!!!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 10:40:32 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #206 on: November 26, 2009, 01:16:05 am »

BLOODY ARMOK, I HAVE CREATED MATTER!!

Actually, you just knocked down the rocks on the upper level. Take a look at your map snapshot and observe the 10 loose stones between the two sections (what I can only assume was originally a wall that was then deconstructed).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:19 am »

I prefer the Science explanation.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 26, 2009, 02:02:34 am »

((Warning:  Looooong post ahead!))

22nd Granite, 207, Early Spring
-------------

Several kobolds and goblin snatchers appeared, but thankfully no ambushes yet.  Bëmbul the guard proved himself to be totally inept... he bumped into a kobold, and then he froze in place for a good solid minute and a half, just watching the kobold run away.  Grr!  I order him to shave his beard - and have the hammerer stand ready, in case he drops a tantrum.

I, myself, chase down and kill a goblin snatcher.  That's twelve kills for me.  Eat your heart out, Archibold; I'm not even wearing armor.

Reg Eralfath is assigned the duty of metal extraction for purposes of the adamantine experiment.  The masons simply would not build the floor out of the ore, so maybe they'll build it from wafers.

Meanwhile, a second test is conducted to see what happens when we drop a floor made from a green glass block--

An ambush!  Curse them, I'm trying to do science here!!

"Alright, dwarves!"  Other Grendus takes command, as Archibold is absent yet again.  "You know the drill!  Stay here in the box until you see the yellows of their eyes!  They're all the way on the other side of the mountain, so we've got a while to wait.  Steady, st--"

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) "--oh!  Where did you come from, you sneaky green bastards?!"

Tekkud Lenodmeng, the Tax Collector, put out an order for two Trifle Pewter items.  I ordered up some flasks right away to shut him up.  Last time we waited around, Inod put out two export mandates.  Sheesh...

Back to the experiment, Athel Zegrigňth, child of Dodók Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving and Rith Hollowseal the Guard, triggers a cave in involving the green glass block.  Alas, searching the ground only turns up a single green glass block and an unconscious Athel.  Let's not tell Dodók that I used his kid for science...

Unabashed, I order up some adamantine wafers to try again.  No one is getting around to it for a while, but I guess this can wait.

Aaaaand in the midst of the ambush, I completely forgot about the obsidian.  The entire plot is flooded 7/7 and is currently draining into the area around my soggy crypt.  Beautiful.

Actually, now that I get a better look at Asob's design I realize that this was always her intent.  The runoff from the obsidian farm would create a circular pond around the crypt, turning the plot of Outside Light Above Ground land into an underground island.

Asob... That reminds me about that book I found in her room... Conveniently, I find her hanging out in her dining room admiring some fine engravings.

"Hello, Asob!"

"I never understood why the symbol of the Swift Arches is querns..." Immediately launching into artistic criticism, Asob doesn't take her eyes off of an engraving entitled 'The Passionate Girder.'  I try not to think too hard about that title.  "Querns are so lazy.  They're basically just millstones without power, right?  It's like we're saying 'Hey, we're the Swift Arches!  We can't be arsed to do anything the right way, we'd rather stay in the stone age.'"

"It's not much better than the one we voted for when we founded the Crypt of Crowns.  Tower-caps, really?  Are we elves or are we dwarves?"

"That vote was mostly Fikod the miner's doing.  I didn't vote for it either, but they still got the majority.  Anyway, what did you want, Zon?"

"Well, last week I came looking for you to remind you to trade with the elves, and I noticed a book lying on top of your cabinet.  It was green and had the symbol of Pesor Siti on it."

"The Confederacies of Targeting?  Yes, Bujit left it behind.  It's his book of records.  He keeps track of everything we traded for in there."

"And he left it?  Sheesh!  How long's this guy had his job?"

"Not much longer, I'd suspect!"

"Have you... you know..."

"Read it?  No.  Wouldn't it be rude?"

I sigh and scratch my beard.  "Very much so.  And I'm not going to lie, it could even be damaging to our relations with Pesor Siti if they found out we read it.  But I want to get to the bottom of the goblin bands who were lead by humans."

"Why?  Humans haven't been seen in the goblin groups in at least two years.  Clearly, something has happened to break their alliance."

"I wouldn't count on it... Don't you care for the fortress?  If there are clues within, it could protect the fort."

"...Ok, I admit it.  I tried to read it, but... I can't read human."

I blink.  "You... can't read human."

"Nope, not a word of it."

"And you've been signing trade agreements with the humans since we embarked here."

"Bujit was kind enough to read them to me!"

I close my eyes and take several deep breaths.  Asob doesn't need to see my angry side again...

"Wow, that's a neat trick.  You can write in your diary with your eyes closed?"

"Asob.  Hasn't it occurred to you that Bujit might not be reading you what's on the page, and just telling you it says something else so you'll sign it?"

"What?  Oh.  Oh!  Oohhhhhh..."  Asob slumped her shoulders and started to walk out of the room.

I grab her by the left upper arm to stop her.  "No, Asob, don't pull the lever.  It's not worth it."

"Yeah, but who knows what agreements I've gotten us into?"

"Do you have copies?"

"...No, Bujit keeps them."

"Asob!"

"Alright, I'm going!"

"Stop trying to leave to go pull the lever already!  Sheesh... in that case, I really think it's necessary we look into this record book.  We need to get an idea what these guys are like to find out whether they're the type to pull our beards over our eyes."

I retrieve the book from her ¤Basalt cabinet¤ where it still lay.  As I re-enter her dining room, she forbids the door so no one can walk in and see us snooping about.

The first thing I notice is a list of all of Pesor Siti's towns...

Ithevbale, "Closetpastimes", a town
   Owner: The Anguished Coalition, humans
   Parent Civ: The Confederacies of Targeting, humans
   Leader: Lelgo Prankgift, human
   64 humans
   1 wagon

Istrabelom, "Twinklehumor", a town
   Owner: The Society of Meshes, humans
   Leader: Gipest Wealthssmile, human
   101 humans
   4 muskoxen
   4 wagons
   3 donkeys
   2 mules

Uzuret, "Beeshooves", a town
   Owner: The Group of Truth, humans
   Leader: Cil Temptedrooters, human
   96 humans

"Whoa, whoa, whoa!  What are you doing, Zon?!"

"What do you mean?"

"You're copying Bujit's records!"

"So?  Is that a bad thing?"

"...I don't know.  Personally, I'm quite concerned about this writing addiction of yours."

"Wha-- it's not an addiction!  Let me get back to this, I'm looking for clues."

Areisha, "Goodcherishs", a town
   Owner: The Council of Jacks, humans
   Leader: Nushrat Sabredance, human
   88 humans
   6 wagons
   2 donkeys
   2 mules

Arthapika, "Spineknit", a town
   Owner: The Red Dates-Fellowship, humans
   Leader: S thra Touchbastions, human
   68 humans

Githaaggung, "Flaggulf", a town
   Owner: The Girlish Councils, humans
   Leader: Mo¤ol Spinessprings, human
   51 humans

Daspan, "Sackwork", a town
   Owner: The Society of Tempests, humans
   Leader: Ciko Crazytruss, human
   85 humans

Josuerod, "Musicracks", a town
   Owner: The League of Wildness, humans
   Leader: Uram Hopperfires, human
   52 humans

"Huh," I mutter.  "Some of these government names sound a little funny."

"How do you mean?"

"Well, come on.  'The Anguished Coalition?'  'The League of Wildness?'"

"'The Girlish Councils?'"

"No, not that kind of funny.  I mean disturbing."

"... 'The Girlish Councils?'"

"...You've got me." 

Threteltoke, "Fatalround", a town
   Owner: The Council of Consideration, humans
   Leader: Teme Laborspiral, human
   46 humans

Nikomceshca, "Critterobeyed", a town
   Owner: The Sloppy Councils, humans
   Leader: Nebo Daubnut, human
   87 humans

Oburodoh, "Lunchowns", a town
   Owner: The Past Crystalline Council, humans
   Leader: Tista Orderquick, human
   69 humans

Boshkucari, "Cruxboot", a town
   Owner: The Coalition of Nourishing, humans
   Leader: Imec Faithhelped, human
   24 humans

Zursulbalad, "Severedcoils", a mountain fortress
   Owner: The Crypt of Crowns, dwarves
   Parent Civ: The Swift Arches, dwarves
   Leader: Asob Cryptsieges, dwarf

"Huh... There must be some mistake.  Not only does he have our fortress listed under the wrong section, but he has you down as our leader."

"Well, Zon, I am mayor.  Technically, I've outranked you for a while."

"And yet, you still take orders from me.  How does that work?"  I give Asob a playful smile, but I don't think the joke went over well with her.

I turn the page.  Oh, this looks like familiar material - religions.  What a coinc--

"Zon?  Why'd you stop?"

"This... this definitely needs to be recorded.  We have a problem here."

...Zas Shootdips (b.49, Reign Began: 169), Inherited from father, Married (d. 72)
      1 Child -- Ages: 143
      Worships Stot Flagcuddles (38%)

The Confederacies of Targeting, Humans
 Worship List
  Sitsu the Maze of Fogs, deity: darkness
  Lerdi the Midnight of Terror, deity: murder
  Stathra, deity: travelers, revelry
  Sewat the Poison of Menace, deity: torture
  Bese, deity: marriage, pregnancy
  Quamun Veiledperplexes, deity: trickery, the night
  Sathar, deity: gambling, fortresses
  Usmen, deity: thralldom
  Rubsit, deity: disease, laws, order
  Nushrat, deity: oaths, loyalty
 Ruler List

The Belted Birds, Elves
 Worship List...

"Huh?  Where's the Ruler List for Pesor Siti?"

"That's not what-- wait, I thought you couldn't read human?"

"I'm reading what you just wrote in your diary over your shoulder."

"Oh.  No, look at their gods!  All but a few are inherently evil!"

"Oh.  Oohhhhhh...  OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!!!"
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:12:38 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 26, 2009, 02:11:01 am »

BLOODY ARMOK, I HAVE CREATED MATTER!!

Actually, you just knocked down the rocks on the upper level. Take a look at your map snapshot and observe the 10 loose stones between the two sections (what I can only assume was originally a wall that was then deconstructed).

Shhhh... Zon's on the path to enlightenment.  Let's not jar her mind with sound logic  ;D
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 54