Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130350 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #105 on: November 08, 2009, 05:26:55 pm »

27th Limestone, 205, Early Autumn
-------------

Asob insists that the Obsidian project be postponed until her idea for my crypt is realized.  Though the thought of having trees growing and light shining over my head several levels beneath the earth makes me shudder, I also think it's appropriate that my crypt be kept far, far away from the other dwarves.  I've learned that I can trust them not because they are trustworthy, but because they're all too stupid to question anything outside of their orders.  This was evidenced, of course, by their refusal to help me to my bed or even to get a drink when my leg was mangled - not because they were evil, but because they were too busy to care.  All of them, with the possible exception of Asob, are short-sighted fools.

Some cage traps are set up in front of the gates.  I don't believe in weapon traps, they're too easy.  Nor do I believe in huge fields of cage traps that no enemy could pass.  However, I feel it is necessary to set at least a single line of cages in front of the main gate.  It could make the difference between the fort's survival and its demise... also, more prisoners means more treats for the militia.  Besides... I've been having a terrible dream lately.  About... well, it's not important right now.  This is the fortress log, not my personal diary.

Asob did some trading with the dwarves.  One of the most notable trades was a *«-groundhog leather quiver-»*, heavily decorated with an image of Thob Hammertwist the dwarf being struck down by Luthi Archbeloved the human maceman during last year's ambush.  Normally 2,120 dwarfbucks, she managed to get 8,374 db of worth out of it.  This is, of course, excluding the extravagant dwarven syrup roasts which always dominate the sales.  I just appreciate the crafts better because they often contain poignant marks of our history.

...What am I saying?  I'm starting to sound like an Asënite!

Edzul ŕlilrimtar, Guard, suffocated in the barracks.  Wouldn't you know it, Archibold was his killer.  That champion is becoming more and more of a nuisance as time passes... Edzul's body is placed in a clear glass coffin in the military crypt, alongside his fellow comrades who are encased in green glass.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:19:12 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 08, 2009, 05:43:57 pm »

17th Sandstone, 205, Mid-Autumn
-------------

Erush Eddudlikot, one of our rangers, came running to me, out of breath, face stricken with panic.

"Zon!  Zon, there's.... something..."  I couldn't even make out what she was saying, as she was panting too heavily.

"Spit it out, Erush.  What is it?"

"Saw... something... coming... this way..."

"What?  Another siege?  We already fought one this season."

"No!  Worse... worse!!"

"What??"

The next words out of her mouth made the hairs of my beard stand on end.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Everybody inside!!  Military, to your posts!  Prepare yourselves for the worst!!  Wall off the gate so the caravan can't leave!"

The traders from Subetrovod, the Swift Arches, looked at me in shock - as if they didn't understand the danger they would be in if they left now!  No matter, there wasn't time to explain.  I prepared the military to stand by near the gates.  But then, I had an idea...

The new cage traps!  What incredible timing!!  It's extremely risky, but... it just might work! 

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I pull the military back further inside and wait...

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 04:07:49 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 08, 2009, 06:49:43 pm »

Sweet! Now you need to make a dragon pillbox.

Wouldn't it be lucky if you got a breeding pair? It CAN happen.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #108 on: November 08, 2009, 09:04:08 pm »

Dragons won't breed unless you mod them to do so. It is extremely tempting, though.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »

You may want to check in legends. If that dragon has killed a dwarf before, even if you tame him with the DM, he'll still be hostile (and now trap immune). Also, the dragon pillbox doesn't work as well as you might think, since dragons won't breath fire unless they can path to their target.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2009, 02:50:07 pm »

You may want to check in legends. If that dragon has killed a dwarf before, even if you tame him with the DM, he'll still be hostile (and now trap immune). Also, the dragon pillbox doesn't work as well as you might think, since dragons won't breath fire unless they can path to their target.
It only works like that if the dragon has had any kills since arriving at your fort.  I have done this before, as have others.  That's how I once got a uber-long-named dragon at one HFS fort to help me fend off the clowns.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2009, 02:52:20 pm »

It only works like that if the dragon has had any kills since arriving at your fort.  I have done this before, as have others.  That's how I once got a uber-long-named dragon at one HFS fort to help me fend off the clowns.
Sure it wasn't out of embarrassment over being caught so easily after so many other kills...
Kidding, of course.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2009, 03:13:18 pm »

If the dragon is already an enemy of your civilization when it arrives (e.g. it attacked one of your civ's mountain halls during worldgen), then it might remain hostile even after you tame it (i.e. killing one of your parent civ's dwarves might count the same as killing one of your own dwarves on the same map).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »

Hm, I didn't know this... I'll have to take a look, and maybe sacrifice a dwarf for science.  But yeah, it didn't get any kills on my map.  Came really close though... I'm surprised though, it walked right past a puppy trap without bothering the dog.

Anyway, quick status update... I've got a pretty bad fever, so this either means more or less updates for the next week.  Not really sure, depends on how I'm feeling.  If I can drag myself out of bed, I might do something tomorrow.
Do it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2009, 05:10:22 am »

For lack of immigrants except for one wave, my fortress has been run by a mere 14 dwarves for 10 years, until the first children started maturing.
In those 10 years, I had no room for a military, so all my civilians got either picks or axes to kill undead (I play on 3 terrifying biomes, the undead just don't stop coming), or goblin ambushes with.
As a result, all my civilians have full battle titles, and pretty kill lists.

They also all have the 'does not care about anything anymore' trait.
(actually, it goes from 'hardened individual' to 'getting used to tragedy' to 'does not care about anything anymore')
I never knew that it might effect behaviour other than not caring about losing their babies, friends and parents anymore.

But now that you mention it.. I do notice that my 14 founding dwarves take quite a lot of breaks, even though there is more than enough alcohol to be had all year round.

Still, I think the does not care trait is one of the best to get. If all your dwarves have it, tantrum spirals become a whole lot more unlikely. I had 3 masterpieces get stolen in 1 season, and their creator was still 'ecstatic'.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »

22nd Sandstone, 205, Mid-Autumn
-------------

Dodók Oddemmeb, Wrestler and Swordsdwarf, came hopping by on one leg on his way to bed.

"Zon!  A word, please."

"What is it?  I'm very busy."  I tried to hobble on by, but he hopped in front of me regardless.

"I want you to take down the cage traps in the front gate.  They're undwarfy, and they cost me a spectacular death in battle by the dragon Nelare Fedíofi Fonenelare!"

I looked Dodók up and down.  "You would do battle with Nelare with a broken left foot?  You can hardly get yourself to bed.  Surely, there would have been many spectacular deaths by that dragon, including the caravan from the Swift Arches.  If she had killed you, we never could have tamed it, and it would be a menace even while tamed."

"Bah!!  A death by the fiery breath of Nelare would have been worth it all.  Don't you know anything about Nelare Fedíofi Fonenelare?"

I sighed.  The one god worse than Asën had to be Logem, god of history lessons and lectures.  "Be right back," I said, as I left him, filled my mug with some dwarven wine, then returned.  In that amount of time he had taken only two more hops toward his bed.  "'K, why don't you lesson me up on this dragon?"

"Nelare Flickersizzles the Glowing Silvers is a dragon.  She is one of the only ones of her kind.  In year 1, she settled in Cloisterheart, where she would later come to hoard several items that she stole from the civilizations around her.  She had a penchant for stealing leather earrings and bone scepters, strangely enough.  Her first kill was Enina Mortalwaxes the elf with dragonfire in Worldcrabs.  She then attacked Legendecho, a kobold settlement, and shortly afterward Paddlednightmares, a goblin tower.  She then turned her attention back to the elves, attacking the treehome of Packedfins and killing several.  Her onslaught wasn't yet over... she moved onto Sidepearl, a human village, and razed several buildings, including The Curled Keeper and The Breakfast of Scars.

"Several foolish elves and humans attempted to attack her single-handedly, none of them successful.  In 149, the human Olo Riddlecloudy and the dwarf Olin Paddleshocked confronted Nelare together in Cloisterheart.  Olo was struck down, but Olin escaped - but only to come back and fight the dragon again later, and though defeated again, managed to escape a second time.

"In 164, Nelare was confronted again by an elf, this one by the name of Themiyi Seizureisland.  Though the elf escaped, the conflict cost Themiyi her right eye.  A few years later in 170, Nelare burned a human to death in Paddlednightmares--"

"Hold up," I said.  "I thought Paddlednightmares was a goblin tower?  So are these the humans that have allied with the goblins?

Dodók started to look delirious, perhaps from the pain.  Maybe I should offer him a seat?  He continued rambling, as if not hearing me.  "In 174, Nelare was attacked by three dwarves - Kivish Fellwheel, Ingish Floorwonders, and Uvash Reliccharmed.  Ingish's mouth was ripped open, Uvash was struck down, and Kivish escaped unscathed.  She would be attacked again later by the dwarf Stukos Basementabyss.  Nelare tore off Stukos's right lower leg, yet somehow she managed to escape with her life."

"None of those dwarven names sound familiar to me, Dodók.  It doesn't sound like this dragon has a history with The Swift Arches.  Is this true?"

Dodók started to look faint.  He then rattled off a few more facts about the dragon before passing out onto the floor.

His wife, Rith Hollowseal, immediately came by to scoop him up and away to his bed.

I watched after him as he disappeared down the stairs in his wife's arms.  Humans in Paddlednightmares... I'll have to ask him later when he's better to see if there's a relation between them and the ones we're seeing with the goblins.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:25:50 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2009, 04:05:27 pm »

TO BE CONTINUED (insert suspenseful music from Phantom of the Opera here)

I'm guessing that you haven't gotten a Baron yet? Bummer.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2009, 04:32:29 pm »

23rd Sandstone, 205, Mid-Autumn
-------------

I slept on Dodók's words and realized that he was right.  Rather than confront this threat head on, we cowered behind a wall of cages.  My shame knows no bounds.  Hence, the cage traps have been removed.  The next vile beast that comes knocking on our door shall taste steel.

I started to make a pillbox for the dragon in the bridge pit, but then realized that this would be a foolish maneuver.  The trap has never been used before, and its design would fail against heavy enemies.  I instead hold onto our new pet.  Perhaps we should station it near the adamantine and begin mining...

Asob herself cut the final piece that would collapse the circular pond area that she wants to be my tomb.  The miners then widened the pit to fit more water.  Apparently, it hasn't occurred to Asob that cave adaptation has caused countless miners to vomit all over my future grave...

We've also made components for a screw pump out of green glass to pump the magma closer to the forges.  I'm tired of waiting; that reservoir should have been filled a year ago.

Just as I place the orders for the construction of the pump, another migrant wave approaches.  9 more migrants... and... what?  Still no baron?!

Something must be missing... I'm positive we've met the requirements!  Plenty of stone jobs, wood crafting, food, gem jobs, crafting... Exported wealth is almost at 150,000... What's going on??

The pump turns out to be a failure too... It looks like the pump keeps recirculating the same magma through itself.  This is my first time dealing with magma, but even so it's getting frustrating!  I begin the arduous task of continuously re-ordering the mining of a tunnel through warm rock.

((Seriously, I'm getting concerned here.  This is the first time I've had a fort that didn't get its baron immediately at 80 pop, and I know I've reached the requirements!))

((EDIT:  UGH, I think I know what happened... One of the incoming migrants decided to stand still at the edge of the map, which in my experience tends to stop other incoming migrants from arriving behind him.  I didn't notice until Winter, so I might have actually lost the rest of the migrant wave.  But then again, the Baron is usually the first dwarf you get in a wave, so... I dunno.))
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:27:09 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2009, 05:00:17 pm »

Don't worry too much about it. I've never gotten the baron, it goes straight to county. Also, make sure you're dong enough jobs in general. It sounds like you are, but you need a good variety to get a baron. Since you're doing a lot of mining, stonecrafting, glassmaking, woodcutting, and jewelcrafting you should be meeting the requirements. They'll come eventually.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2009, 06:34:10 pm »

Is the stuck migrant a military dwarf?  If so, either undraft him or set his squad to stand down.  That should do the trick.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54