Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130307 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 11:05:17 pm »

You had a -Copper flail- before.  Now you have this:

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:42:23 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:13 pm »

I am thoroughly enjoying your narration. This is a completely unique challenge, I can't wait to see how it all ends!

If there's still an unnamed marksdwarf left, could you name him "Barduk" for me?

Eagerly awaiting the next update.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:09 pm »

((OK, I'll find a marksdwarf for you.  At the end of this post, there will be several new dwarves available.  Still waiting for an injured marksdwarf for Tirin... if you want to change your reservation at any time, go right ahead.))

16th Galena, 203, Late Summer
-------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Ah, come in Bėmbul."

"It's Barduk."

I cocked my head at the marksdwarf standing before me.  "Barduk?  Why did I think your name was Bėmbul?"

"'Dunno, it's always been Barduk.  Mayhaps a cave lizard's run off with your ear?"

I tug my beard in annoyance.  Is my hearing really giving out?  I make a mental note to update the records when I return to my desk.  "Anyway, Barduk.  I wanted to congratulate you on your work last month fending off the goblins.  I understand you're the only marksdwarf who landed a killing shot!"

"Oh, yes!  Asno Scrapedincests the goblin, he called himself."  Barduk hefted her Highwood Crossbow with pride.  I must admit I'm envious of her (giant bat leather gloves), as I'm still waiting for a dwarf with skill enough to work Azinodos' foul hide into a proper suit of armor.  "Put a steel bolt right between his eyes, just like threading a needle with a Pig tail thread."

"Yes... at any rate, I'd like to keep you in the regular military.  I think you'll do better keeping the goblins out than keeping the consorts in line."

"Consorts?  What--"

"Err, nothing, nothing!  Haha, just a joke.  Anyway, you should rest well knowing that your fallen companion, Ustuth Thīkutlek, rests in a crypt built specifically for the heroes of our fort.  He even has a statue!"

"Um... Beg'n your pardon, but isn't that Ustuth's rotten corpse out there in the yard?"

I look and, to my horror, saw she was right.  "Wait, what?!  But then, who took the coffin in the new crypt I just had dug out??"

"Oddom, the weaponsmith that went insane."

"That was ages ago!  Goodness, that coffin was meant for Ustuth!"

Barduk frowned and raised an eyebrow at me.  "Beg'n your pardon again, but I don't see the problem.  Every dwarf needs a good, solid resting place.  Especially one who sacrificed himself for a dream that could not be realized.  Or do you not not appreciate the arts of the moody dwarves?"

Ugh, forgot she was a worshipper of Asėn.  The god of arts and crafts.  Tsk... Arts, schmarts, I say.  If I'm supposed to give a ratman's arse about the cabinet Melbil Ushuldatan cobbled together out of groundhog bone, you can forget it.

Asob says the darn thing only sells for 2400 dwarfbucks!  Honestly, that's the lamest artifact I've ever seen!  I do have to wonder, though, how Melbil carved an entire cabinet using just two bones... Best not to get into an intellectual discussion with Barduk and upsetting her.  "Well... A new crypt shall be carved for the military, then."

"Good!  I'm as happy as a cat with a hedgehog in its mouth."

"That's... That's a cat that sounds like it would cancel storing item in stockpile.  Too injured."

About a week later, the new crypt is designated.  To make sure there's no mistake, I make sure to personally bring Ustuth's bones myself.

Meanwhile, the workers have elected Sigun Kelalud the Butcher as mayor.  If this isn't foreshadowing, I don't know what is!

Oh, wait, yes I do!  Let's put that ugly groundhog bone cabinet inside the baron's quarters!  Now this is foreshadowing!

((Available dwarves for claim:

2 Marksdwarves, regular military.
2 Wrestlers, regular military.  One is training to be a macedwarf.
2 Crossbowdwarves, Fortress Guards.
2 Wrestlers, Fortress Guards.
Coming soon: A pair of swordsdwarves.))

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:48:23 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 09:38:56 pm »

Bahaha, better make it a Bauxite cabinet. Unless you're doing the spike method, but magma is so much cooler.

May I suggest that you have a trapdoor-bridge made out of platinum that dumps the baron into magma?

That way, you wouldn't have fifty sets of noble clothing lying around.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2009, 11:03:13 pm »

10th Limestone, 203, Early Autumn
-------------

I chopped off the left hand and left lower leg of a batman that came too close, dumped it in the pond, and proceeded to go fishing right over its corpse.

Geshud Mistźmmebzuth, cat, approves.

Meanwhile, the militia find the new barracks our masons have built for them.

It's an open roof, and located near what will become a fortified defense tower.  This should keep the regulars from getting cave adaptation.

Meanwhile, we lost another stupid hunter - Thīkut Mengngalįk - to a groundhog.  It rushed him and pushed him into a pond, where he drowned.  Sometimes, I wonder if it's possible at all to get good help around here.  We'll have to wait until we have a drought to dig him out of there... After all, he took a (Steel cap) and a (Bronze crossbow) with him.  At least he didn't have any friends...

The dwarven caravan from Subetrovod has arrived, which means - of course - another visit from Unib is right around the corner.  Oh, joy.

Why am I feeling so grim, you ask?  Well... see for yourself.

The baron's death trap is under way.  Already, it hungers.  A giant cave swallow ambushed ļngiz Luslemmosus, legendary miner and recently appointed mason.  The regulars tried to defend him, but the giant cave swallow struck a mortal wound before they were able to kill it and he bled to death.  Zuglar the marksdwarf killed a batman named Kumil Pagedvoices, and Imush the flaildwarf-in-training killed the giant cave swallow.  He named it just before he killed it.  Honestly, I never got into the whole naming your enemy thing, I just don't understand the appeal.

Actually, this is Imush's fourth kill.  Well done... I'll see to it she receives special consideration later.

"Zon!"

"Ack!"  I clutch the fortress logs to my chest as Unib sneaks up behind me.

"What are you doing inside that bottomless pit??  I just saw a dead miner dragged out of there!  What could you possibly want in there?"

My heart is pounding!  What if she finds out?  I remember my orders... Those who find out are to be 'dealt with.'  As annoying as Unib can be, I... I can't imagine killing her should she learn my secret.  Oh my goodness, I just realized... I would miss her if something were to happen!

I'm not even a dabbling liar, but I try my best to come up with something.  "Oh.  That.  I thought I saw a giant cave spider inside when we first breached the wall.  I wanted to catch it.  It was foolish of me, I know."

Unib eyed me carefully.  "Why were you sending masons in there?"

"To build a trap.  Err, for the spider, of course!"

She stayed silent for a long time.  Nervously, I adjusted the grip of my (Steel battle axe).  "Well, you're at least going to give him a proper burial, right?"

"Of course!  Every dwarf needs a good, solid resting place.  What, you think I'd forget this?"

"Very good.  Did you at least give a name to the miner's killer?"

"Ah, yes, Imush the future macedwarf did.  What was it again... Tubesocks?"

Unib sighed.  "Zon, how could one such as yourself be so undwarflike?  You walk the walk, but you must have lived a sheltered life."

"What can I say?  There isn't a lot of room to be dwarfy in fishing.  Glad I've moved on from that job.  I mean, I still catch turtles from time to time, but managing is so much more fulfilling!"

Unib nodded slowly.  "Well, be sure you treat your fellow dwarves with respect.  They work for you, and they deserve it."

Something about Unib's behavior continued to leave me unsettled.  "Are you feeling alright, Unib?  You're naggier than an old mother hen today!"  I giggled.

"What's that supposed to mean?!" Unib stamped her foot and glared at me.

"Whoa!  It was just a joke, you know?  What's going on?"

"Ah... a joke, heh heh... yes, well, let's get on with the documents, shall we?"

"Unib..."

"Zon, please.  If you're too busy, then I'll just have to talk with your mayor instead.  I'm on a very busy schedule."

I blinked.  She was obviously quite antsy, tapping her foot impatiently and inspecting the engravings on my floor closely. 

I snorted.  "So much for that sisterly love you were gushing about only a year ago.  Sigun's room is next door to your left.  Careful with the door, it tends to smack people in the arse when they've overextended their welcome."

Unib looked absolutely crushed.  "Oh, Zon... I'm sorry.  I--"

"I said get out."

Defeated, the diplomat sulked toward the door, where she lingered.  "This place... it's changing you, Zon.  And I think I know why.  I can't prove it yet, but I hope for your sake that I am wrong.  And if I'm not, then I hope I can stop you before you do something unforgivable.  Good day."

With that, Unib disappeared into Sigun's office, where she stayed discussing documents and things for several hours.  I picked at a notch in my axe blade, pondering.  I was tempted to forbid the door and starve them both... suppose she was telling him her suspicions?  But no, that would be premature.  And on the plus side, she's a diplomat.  Perhaps she could help me find a way out of this fate before I commit the unthinkable?

Grimly, I look upon the pit which my workers have mindlessly built their way into.  I wonder what they think of it... for that matter, I'm not even sure of everyone who was involved who saw it.  Obviously the militia, and a few others to take the miner's things... I'd better become a good liar, and fast.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:03:50 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2009, 11:06:22 pm »

Bahaha, better make it a Bauxite cabinet. Unless you're doing the spike method, but magma is so much cooler.

May I suggest that you have a trapdoor-bridge made out of platinum that dumps the baron into magma?

That way, you wouldn't have fifty sets of noble clothing lying around.

The last post should give you half the picture as to how the death trap will work.  The other half of the puzzle is hidden in the latest archived map.

I assure you, there will be no trace of said nobles when the trap is executed  8)
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2009, 01:06:13 am »

I'll take the macedwarf, with whatever name you deem appropriate. Try to grab me a wooden mace from the elves if they have it, and decorate it with something dwarven, preferably in elf-bone. Then sic me on some elves. Of course this may all only be possible when they siege you, but I'm looking forward to that.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2009, 05:42:11 am »

I'll take a guard crossbowdwarf called Falk. Likes Dwarven alcohol (actually in his preferences if possible) a little too much, so has been relegated to the guard where he has less to do. Nothing scarier than an extremely drunken dwarf in chainmail waving a loaded crossbow at you :P
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:32 am »

The last post should give you half the picture as to how the death trap will work.  The other half of the puzzle is hidden in the latest archived map.

I see a peculiar-looking room designated 9 Z-levels directly above the lever...

I assure you, there will be no trace of said nobles when the trap is executed  8)

Smash them with a cave-in, then let the remains fall into the bottomless pit? Sounds sufficiently Dwarfy.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2009, 04:03:10 pm »

Try to grab me a wooden mace from the elves if they have it, and decorate it with something dwarven, preferably in elf-bone. Then sic me on some elves. Of course this may all only be possible when they siege you, but I'm looking forward to that.

Gee, you sound an awful lot like a baron!  Let me show you this sweet lever over here.  Mind the batman droppings on your way out to the edge of that narrow platform.   ;D 
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2009, 05:27:32 pm »

Just wanted to challenge you a little. What, not up to it?

LEGO! BRING THE HAMMER!
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »

10th Timber, 203, Late Autumn
-------------

"'id I ev' tell ye 'bout th' time I killed a troll wif' m' bare hands?!"

"Yes, Falk, for the hundredth time," Archibold the flaildwarf waved the drunkard away, but he persisted.  "And for the hundreth time, I must remind you there has never been a troll at Severedcoils!"

I was inspecting the work of the masons on the barracks, and decided to stop and watch the guards and militia train for a while.  I smiled bemusedly at the exchange of Falk and Archibold.

"It was on th' way 'ere!  You should'a seen it!  It cam' down fr' the sky wi' big ol' wings, screamin' all deathlike!"

"Trolls don't have wings, and the dead don't scream!  You probably killed a cardinal or something."

"'Ey, you any good a' wrestling?"  Falk's crossbow fired prematurely, but fortunately it wasn't loaded.

"Yeah, but what does that have to do with--"

"Teach me how t' wrastle.  I wanna see wha' you c'n do... I prob'ly 'ave a few point'rs m'self!"

"I can see your pointer quite clearly, and wish you'd put it away.  Besides, you're a marksdwarf.  Ha!  It'd never work between us."

"C'mon, babe, lemme show you m' -char bone bolt[2]-!

"[2]?  Is that all you got?  Honey, give it up.  Until you overindulge a bit more you're entirely too sober for me.   You smell like a human!"

I laughed, then left.  This is the first time I've laughed since Unib's arrival.  During her stay, she's done just about everything in her power not to look at me.  I've waved at her, got her to look over at me by mistake, and then watched her kick a cave lizard into the bridge pit and continue forcing herself not to look my direction.  A few times, I've intentionally walked down the hall towards her, just to see her try to walk without looking in front of herself.  She tripped once, but refused to let me help her up.

Asob fell in step with me.  "She's still not speaking to you?  What in the world could you have said to her?"

"Don't ask."  Please, don't, I thought silently to myself.  I don't want to have to think about getting rid of Asob as well.  "She was getting too nosey about things that aren't her business and I got upset with her.  That's that."

Asob nodded.  "The workers have moved ļngiz Luslemmosus the Miner to the new crypt, does that cheer you up?"

"No, sadly, it does not.  ļngiz's death was a careless mistake on my behalf."

Asob fell silent for a while, and her steps started to slow.  I started to walk a little past her, and suddenly she gripped my wrist tightly.  "I know!  I'll make you something!"

"Asob, that's not necessary.  You're a Legendary Miner and an Expert Appraiser, not a--"

I stopped.  Asob had a wild, fey look in her eye, and I knew immediately what it meant.

"Nonsense!  I'll build you... I'll build you... hold on, I've got it!  Be right back!"

Wildly she scrambled about the fortress, gathering Garnierite and Rhodolite and Highwood.  Oddom's crazed face creeped back into my mind, and I worried greatly for my best friend.  I'm not ready to get used to tragedy just yet!

Fortunately, we had everything she needed.  I was a little surprised at the result...

Asob calmed down.  She had clearly become a Skilled Mason from her efforts.  "There!  What do you think?"

"You made a bed out of Garnierite... that's... very unique!"  Uncomfortable, actually, is the word I was searching for.  But it was certainly something you don't see every day, so...

"Are you going to put it in your room right away?"

Oh, curses.  I must become a better liar!  "Um... well, actually, the quality is so grand that I don't feel worthy sleeping on such a fine artifact!  This is something, um, better suited for a noble!  Or a noble's consort!"

"You don't like it, do you."

"I'm getting scoliosis just looking at it."

Asob laughed.  "I know, right?  I thought you'd appreciate it for its irony!"

Curse you, Asėn.  You claim yet another of my dwarves.  What do you have against practicality, anyway?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 04:11:37 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 06:09:29 pm »

Ha. That's fantastic. Or should I say, "Grrrrrrrreat!"

How close are you to 80 dwarves?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 06:12:58 pm »

LEGO! BRING THE HAMMER!
Eh?  My dwarf uses a flail, not a hammer!
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 11:17:06 pm »

Heh... 47.  Thanks, Borderlands  ::)  I should have time for a better update either tomorrow or Friday.
Do it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 54