Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130315 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 4!)
« Reply #720 on: September 23, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »

I'm still here and this it still awesome.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 23, 2012, 08:41:31 pm »

Glad to hear it, Di :D  I could probably write a bit faster than once per week.  I actually have some content backlogged... let's just say Hematite has been a VERY "fun" month for Severedcoils.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 23, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

Hot damn, I'm one of the four survivors in a room with demons prowling the base. How long has this fort been going on for? I think this was one of my first community forts, in fact. Didn't I try poisoning you or something stupid at one point? I think that was this one.

Also either it's going slow or the images are busted. I think it's just going really slow for some reason.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:56 am »

I promise, the lot who are stuck in the panic room was purely random.  I simply ordered Asob to run directly to her room and shut the door - whoever was in there at the time got to be the lucky contestants (great luck that the newest consort was one of them too!  I haven't ever taken an opportunity to explore one of them as a character, so this worked out great).

This is the one where you role-played Derm as obsessed with finding out what happened, and yeah I think there was a poisoning incident.  While I haven't made your contributions totally canon, I'm running with that idea for the character.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: October 01, 2012, 03:24:19 am »

~20th Hematite
Asob
---

I've transferred the last dozen or so entries to my personal journal.  Things had changed little during those weeks.  Each day, I reported the same thing - the goblins were still around, the military was still on the move, nothing happened in here other than vapid and oftentimes flirtatious conversation.  Derm has yet to craft anything, meanwhile I have crafted so many coffins that the shop is now *CLT*.  I should ask her politely if she'd be willing to move these things for me into the furniture stockpile... or I'll do it myself, anything to keep me distracted.

Today however (or rather, last night) something did happen.  Sounds of a great battle could be felt within the walls.  A great many have died... but how many goblins, and how many dwarves?  Surely, the majority of the deaths would be goblinkind, but I suppose that might depend upon how many champions we had lost...  I must confess, I myself did not hear those sounds.  Apparently I slept right through the ordeal, and heard about it afterwards.

What has me most worried right now is the new sounds we're hearing... sounds of intense laughter, sounds of haunting wailing, sounds of furniture breaking.  Sounds of broken souls failing to carry on through the loss of friends... and gradually, more voices add to the grim dirge.

The sound, however, is nothing compared to the stench.  Of brimstone, of beard, of burning, of booze... I can only imagine what's happening out there.  The wretched sounds of the demons have ceased, thank Asën, so I think it's safe to say we've persevered through the trials set by our enemies - however, it's impossible to tell how many we've lost.  It's clear from the sounds of clanking armor that our military has shrunken considerably... how much?  A quarter?  A third?  More than half?  How many of the lost were recruits, and how many were champions?  How many were friends?  Can we survive another assault by the spirits of fire?

It's been all too quiet since the laughter started.  Derm has gone completely silent.  Melbil and Kûbuk have stopped flirting, though they still chat a little here and there.  I think they've silently decided not to get close to one another in case something should happen.  Friendship can be a very dangerous thing in times of tragedy...

"I wish I was out there, takin' care of bus'ness," Kûbuk states a bit loudly.  It takes a moment for me to register that she's speaking to all of us, rather than only Melbil.  "Sounds like 'ey need ev'ry guard 'ey could get."

"On the other hand, we are most grateful to have you here, keeping order amongst us."

"Ah, put a rock 'n it, Mel.  'Nless Derm snaps, we're good."

"What?!  Why me?  What am I being accused of??"

"Damn it, calm down!"  I snap at Derm, too harshly.  I realize I can't bear this and I return to the masonry shop.

Our food and drink are still doing alright... as I thought, the extra barrels stacked atop the forbidden ones turned out to be a great idea.  We could stick this out for several months... technically...

I've attempted to assess their moods, worried a bit by the thought that Kûbuk may actually need to execute her duties as a guard in here amongst us.  Surprisingly, I think all three of their moods have improved since this started.  Me... I can't say as much.  I suppose I'm still content, but... I really, really hope that food doesn't have to last as long as it could.

Once again, I'm considering breaching the chambers and leaving... but not yet.  Though it may sound like our combatants have all either fled or died, what we're hearing now could be the start of something far more dangerous.  But I'm the mayor, damn it... I should be able to do something for these people.  But what can I do?  I can't possibly console every dwarf before...

...I couldn't even console Zon, what makes me think I could do a damn thing for anybody else... we'll just have to wait this out, see if this situation improves in a few days.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:35:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: October 19, 2012, 03:55:25 pm »

?? Hematite
A
--

Today has been one of the most stressful of all.  For the past several hours, everyone's been at odds with one another.  Melbil is starting to complain rather loudly about his living conditions, which in turn has made Kûbuk far less interested in flirting and otherwise being in a cheerful mood, so those two haven't been speaking all day.  Derm finally made a few useless trinkets in the craftshop, but I caught her hovering over my shoulder again while I was writing in my personal diary.  I'm upset she went back on her word, but at the same time I can't exactly blame her.  So, we aren't speaking to one another either.  It's boring in here.  I know it's cliche, but it really feels like the boredom will kill us sooner than any demon, lunatic, or food shortage.  Of which there isn't one, I might add, we could quite possibly live almost a year off of what's in here alone.

I started making some doors, but the masonry shop is far too cluttered.  I suppose I could haul some of these out, but... what's the point?  One of these is bound to wind up as mine... perhaps that masterwork one over there.  Or that one.

The most unnerving part is not knowing what's going on outside.  We can still hear what we've determined to be the normal hustle and bustle in and out of Zon's "private" food stores (its purpose made secret, apparently, by how publicly it's used otherwise).  Minkot has not attempted to contact us again since that one time.  We still hear the cries and blabbering of poor dwarves gone mad, but... I wouldn't say there aren't as many, but there haven't been any new voices added to the din in a while.  Perhaps things have calmed down?

I look around at my fellow inmates.  Gloomy, gloomy, gloomy.  I stand up and give my pick an experimental twirl, and the others look expectantly at me.  Nobody says a word.  It's clear we're all thinking the same thing, and I can more or less predict the brief conversation we have next with perfect precision.

"Is it finally time?" Melbil inquires.

"Seems that way to me," I state flatly.

"What if it's too soon?" Derm asks, not out of fear but of bored curiosity.

"Screw it, I'd rath'r die a dwarf th'n an elf anyway," Kûbuk finishes.

I return to the path I had begun digging in the well room.  The rest of the wall comes down easily.  I reflect briefly on how good it feels to wield a pickaxe again, and then keep it brandished just in case we were too early.  Kûbuk follows close at my back with her crossbow ready, while Melbil and Derm bring up the rear.  The path opened up into Zon's bunker's well room.  Nobody is inside.

Cautiously, I push open the door to her stockpiles.  Just as I was hesitant to suspect... our fellow dwarves are going about their business as usual, coming and going with cheese roasts and plump helmet wine and cat tallow biscuits.  A few familiar faces see us and look up.  A few smile, a couple say hello... I'm actually having trouble remembering names, but aside from that everything seems... normal.

Obviously, the bridge to Zon's bunker is lowered.  We head out, and up the stairs into her office.  Zon isn't here, but nor are there any signs that anything is amiss - at least, not until we journey up into the dormitories.

It's clear something terrible has happened here very recently.  Dwarves who do not dwell amongst the dorms in one of the northern corridors walk in a wide arc around it.  I peek down the hall, and immediately notice a red stain on the floor in front of one of the doors at the very end.  I shudder, and decide not to get any closer.

As I turn, that's when I see the first confirmation of my fears.  I see one of our military's finest champions has wandered up behind us and fallen in step with our frightened little crew.  At first, I don't even recognize him.  His face is pale, his eyes sunken in like he hasn't slept in days.  His eyes gaze above us, as if rewatching the same painful memory over and over again, like it was being projected on the wall behind us.  His (*«-Steel plate mail-»*) has a few straps left undone, and as such appears as though it's sagging rather uncomfortably off of his chest, but he doesn't appear to notice.

"Um... Hello!  Are you... are you alright?"

"Kobolds.  Merry diamonds and daggers.  Small left bat wafers.  Plump quern carp wine?"

As soon as he speaks, I recognize his voice, and instinctively jump back away from him.  It's 'The Overlord,' one of the fort's most decorated champions.  Even among the finest and boldest of Severedcoils' warriors, insanity has poisoned the ranks.  Very suddenly, his eyes lock onto Melbil, and his fingers fumble over the handle of his (Steel mace), as if he can't remember how to pull it off his belt.

Melbil's voice cracks.  "My word!  What- what are you--"

"Macaque."

"N-no!  No, I'm--"

"Macaque.  Macaque.  Macaque macaque macaque!"  The Overlord approaches, still fumbling for his mace.

"Pearl opal!"  A second voice-- one I could never mistake in a hundred years.  "Ashen bed?  Longland grass?"

The Overlord immediately loses interest in Melbil, and turns to address Zon.  "Glass... basalt?"

"Glass corkscrew.  Glass corkscrew."

"Glass... green glass corkscrew?"

"Yes!  Plump helmet wine!"

The Overlord reels his head back and stares at the ceiling, a contented smile upon his face.  "Mmm... Plump quern carp beer."

Zon calmly approaches The Overlord from behind and gently places her hands upon his shoulders.  She then guides him over to the wall, so close that his nose touches it.  He sighs to himself and stares complacently at the wall.

"There.  That ought'ta keep him busy for a few hours."  Zon smiles casually at Melbil.  "You were never in any harm.  We've tied his mace securely to his waist.  He doesn't have the coordination or the mental faculty to figure out how to get it free.  We'd have taken it from him entirely, but he started to get violent.  This turned out to be the easier solution."  She pauses only briefly, and clasps her hands together jovially.  "How are you?  We've missed you for the past month!  You'll find your chambers have been well-kept.  We've also been adding some decorations to your mausoleum to get it to your liking.  Please, do let me know if you're still unsatisfied.  We've also been digging out space for larger crypts, so if need be we could move your belongings to a larger area.  The engravers should be finished with those spaces in only another month's time."

Melbil blinks, aghast.  "Er... why, yes.  Thank you, indeed!  I shall inspect my chambers and let you know... er, in the morning, or a week from now... er.  Yes."  Melbil takes a few steps away, sees The Overlord again - still staring at the wall - then cowers back to the safety of our group.  "Is... is it safe?"

"Oh, yes!  The fortress is secure.  Just don't look any of them in the eye."  She gestures at The Overlord.  "Go on!  See for yourself.  Everything is fine.  You too, Derm and Kûbuk!  You'll find that the forges and the archery range are still in working order.""

Melbil hesitates, looks back at us one last time, and then retreats down the halls, looking a bit like a lost puppy.  Derm and Kûbuk aren't quite so quick to leave.

"Not so fast," Kûbuk says sternly.  "We were locked away f'r how long, exactly?"

"By my count, exactly one month.  I was just about to fetch you myself, in fact--"

"Yeah, yeah, save it.  I ain't happy with what I'm seein' right here," Kûbuk points at The Overlord.  "That doesn' jus' happen f'r no reason.  Tell us straight."

Zon's smile faded, and she spoke softly.  "Very well.  The demons attacked twice.  We beat back the first wave handily, but the second caught us by surprise.  During that fight, there was a goblin siege.  Seven of our warriors were killed in the conflict, but more were lost to melancholy in the aftermath.  Other citizens have lost their will to live having seen the strength of Severedcoils fail in such a way, but despite the difficulty we have successfully sealed the glowing pits.  We've seen the last of the demons, and their adamantine prison is free for our taking.  I will be blunt with you, Kûbuk; things only very recently seem to have stabilized.  There are still many around the fortress who are absolutely miserable with our losses.  We could very easily see the tides of chaos turns against us again, and it could be anywhere between two months to an hour from now before it hits.  Or, it could be over.  There's no way of telling.  Wandering around this fort, you will find more than a handful of lost souls such as The Overlord here, and any of them could turn berserk at any moment.  It's already happened twice.  It's very fortunate that you, a fellow guard, have remained safe and in fair condition.  I have no doubt we'll need your services very soon."

Kûbuk nods grimly.  "Anybody I know?"

"I'm sorry, Kûbuk, but I'm afraid I don't exactly know who you've made acquaintances with.  You'll have to find out yourself.  I can tell you that Endok Amast, one of your fellow guards, has very recently lost a wife and daughter to a horrible tragedy.  I think it would be good for him if you would lend him some of your strength."

Kûbuk nods again, salutes, and heads off down the hall, presumably toward the zoo in search of her comrades.  Zon then turns to me, her apologetic, yet happy expression poorly contained.

"Sooo..."

"So," I mime.

We hug.  For a moment, I'm actually furious to think that all could be forgiven so easily... but then, it quickly fades.  I decide that I'd rather be happy to have my friend back than choose to hold a grudge.  I'm just too damn happy to see her alive and well to stay upset.

"Wow, hey, I was right!  You had my journal all along, huh?  And you're getting pretty good at writing in real time like I do!"

"Oh!  Yes, I... it was an accident!  I had it at the time when everything went down, and it just... sort of followed me, I suppose!"

"Great!  I had to keep a separate journal to record everything that's happened.  Give it here, I'll just go ahead and add my entries to it."

"Ok!"  I start to hand over the journal-- then, reflexively, I hold it tight against my chest as I feel a breath of warm air against my neck.  I turn around, glowering, to find Derm once again peeking over my shoulder.

"Aw, shucks.  Fine, I'm going!"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:56:18 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: October 22, 2012, 04:33:47 am »

The writing is at least as good as ever. It's great that you turned to a story of survival and isolation rather than a straightforward accounting of events. I'm anxious to learn of the fate of SeveredCoils' greatest champion: Archibold!

But please, tell the story as you see fit. Catching up has been quite enjoyable.

-----

Quietust, Dermonster, glad to see you're both still active. It might take days to get a grip on the state of the game lately; could anyone tell me how it's running? Will it still bring my computer to the brink of gibbering madness as quickly as ever? I'm hopeful of enjoying it once again.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 23, 2012, 12:51:23 am »

Thanks Archibold!  It was a fun experiment, and I thought it might be a unique angle to take to build suspense for the moment when things hit their most dire.  Also, it allowed me to build up a backlog I can use in case I get busy again - I've been writing standard updates alongside the panic room story for later use, meanwhile I'll continue to play a few steps ahead.  I'm just hoping I can keep the quality good enough for the last couple of votes I need before December!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: October 23, 2012, 11:32:26 pm »

I'm just hoping I can keep the quality good enough for the last couple of votes I need before December!

Votes? Is there some contest where I should go and vote your story itself and/or narrative skills as best?

Edit: Found and voted. Readers, this tale ought to be included in the Hall of Fame. I urge you to strongly consider whether it is worthy, and if you find it so, go and vote!
My choice is obvious. Now, make yours! It is the sticky'd thread at the top of the category where this thread is listed.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:48:07 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: October 24, 2012, 01:55:34 pm »

1 Hematite, 211
Early Summer
by Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam
-------

That damn philosopher!  Why didn't she see this coming?  Oh, hey, let's bring up some remains of something that died inside the demon pit and see what happens!  There's no way a demon could inhabit these bone fragments and then use them to exert its will over us!  They've only been sealed away for... oh, I don't know, A FEW DOZEN ETERNITIES, GIVE OR TAKE.  No, I don't think they're capable of becoming impatient after all that time, especially when some dwarves dig really close to them!

A lot of things happened at once.  First, Asob squeaked.  I can't help but make mention of that.  Let it be known to all of Severedcoils' history that Asob Momuzzokun, long-running mayor, squeaks in the face of danger.  She then scurried off, presumably to her bunker to lock herself away until the demons are dealt with.  Not going to lie... I intend to do the same just after I set some things in motion. 

I've had mechanisms in place to seal the pit with obsidian as soon as it opened, but it wasn't quite finished yet - regardless, I ordered the obsidianizer lever pulled, and meanwhile set the military to stand near the breach - making sure to put all of our recruits and wrestlers up front, of course, with champions right behind and ready to get one or two good hits in before their meat shields burn away - and the marksdwarves farther behind so they can feel like they're doing something useful.

I was then turning to go towards my bunker, but then a voice stopped me.

"Coward."

My blood turned cold.  Minkot had found it within himself to stand up to me.

We stood there, not saying a word to each other for a while.  I tried to command myself to ignore him and take my station within my bunker before resuming my role as a clerk, but the king had clearly wished for me to attend his meeting instead - so, there I stood, while Asob ran off to safety.

"Leaders are born, not made," Minkot stated.  "I must admit, I'm impressed.  I know of your history.  I know that you've encountered beasts from below in a previous fort.  I know that the very thought of what these things could do has you shaken to your very core.  Finally, I've discerned the purpose of your 'mysterious' food and drink stockpiles next to those conveniently placed vacant rooms under the hatch in your office, and I know what you intend to do next.  Why, I used to have my very own panic room in the royal halls, thank the gods I never needed to use it."

I wiped a cold sweat from my brow, trying in vain to pretend that I was sweating from exertion and not from nervousness.  "Get on with it."

"While I do not approve of the way you speak to me, I... must confess that you're doing a better job of ruling this fort than I would in this situation... arguably, perhaps better than I have run The Swift Arches.  You have somehow ignored your fear and taken charge, far better than any other dwarf I know.  The dwarves follow your guidance, and in this moment they would surely follow you to their deaths with honor."

I allow his words to sink in.  I take a few deep breaths, and stand up tall.  I look around - my companions are panicked, running aimlessly down the halls as the smell of brimstone wafts through the air.  I... think I actually feel myself transform.  "We're not dead yet.  And while I may have been powerless to do anything against the frog demons at Murderspikes, here I actually have the power to do something.  I have a chance to redeem myself."

"Then do it."

---

Two hours have passed, and the military has not yet seen a flicker of a flame from these fiery fiends.  The wall may or may not have sealed all of the demons inside, but all we knew was that in two hours, nobody was on fire.  I decided that we needed to scout, so I went down a few levels to the fortifications and peeked inside.

The first thing I noticed is that there was still water in the area, though it was not flowing from the pump channel.  Apparently, the obsidianizer mechanisms had not been completely wired up.  The switch had been tied to the magma chamber - which had been sealed off, so the pumps were spinning but not doing anything.  The river pump, on the other hand, had not been connected to the switch, so it sat idle.  So, for the past two hours, no water or magma has flowed into the pit... and yet, it was still flooded.

And then, something hit me... the pit was still full of water, even after it was opened.  Judging by the heat we could feel coming through the fortifications, Quietust had surmised that our pit possessed "Spirits of Fire," whose bodies were supposedly much hotter than the sun.  Shouldn't the water have immediately vaporized when coming near those things?

And then, I spotted something amidst the muck and smoke, and I cried out with joy.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A severed head.  Upon laying eyes on it, a name popped into my head.  Somehow, I knew that it was the name of a very powerful demon, whose name I shall NOT write.  As the smoke cleared and the water drained, more pieces could be seen floating, and each one I looked at told me its name mentally.

In total, I counted 11 Spirits of Fire, as well as their demon leader, among the deceased.

"Quick!  Down to level 14, open it up and floor over that pit!  We're sealing them in forever!"

The military moves into the pit dug out around Di's old "sauna," waiting for a miner to come and dig a hole inside.  There, we will take the fight to whatever's left--

"AAAAUUUUGH!!!"

A scream can be heard through the fortifications-- wait, I recognize it!  That's Led Dastotdomas, a Cheese Maker!  Somehow, he got inside the pit and encountered a Spirit of Fire!

I re-ordered the military to go through the magma channel, where I had assumed Led had gone -- but for some reason, the upper levels of the fort began flooding!

Sure enough, the Spirits had destroyed the pump stack that was used to feed water to the baron shower.  At the same time, the spirits who had killed Led were surely coming up through the breach I had originally suspected they would...

They couldn't come through that way, however, since there was a wall at the end of that tunnel... but if the pump stack has been destroyed...

...Oh for Kovest's sake, they can travel through water without vaporizing it, as long as they haven't already been detected.

I order the military to move again, tracing the path they took through the underground river and trying to guess where they would next appear... a few dwarves were milling about in that area, so I could only assume they would make their move very soon.  Alas, there are too many paths in that area, and if they can move invisibly through water... damn!  They could either be planning to break through the hatch of the duke shower, or they could be sneaking through the tunnels.  Either way, the most central point between those areas is the trade depot.

"Everyone, to the trade depot!  We'll wait there for them to make their move.  And nobody try to get into that pit to claim anything!  Everything inside is forbidden!!"
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 05:07:17 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #730 on: October 24, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

...Oh for Kovest's sake, they can travel through water without vaporizing it, as long as they haven't already been detected.
It's been a while since I played 40d, but I'm fairly certain that invisible SoF will still cause water to boil away - when I test-released them in one fortress and opened the [d]esignation menu, I could see hot spots appearing on the map (the same as with tiles near magma) as they emerged.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: October 24, 2012, 05:53:26 pm »

((Re-posted after next story entry))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:22:53 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: October 27, 2012, 01:46:36 pm »

7th Hematite, 211
Early Summer
by Zon Rimtarothil
-------

No other movements have been noticed by the spirits.  They seem to be content staying in that Y-shaped drain.

I'm beginning to wonder if there was some other reason the pump stack broke, completely unrelated to the Spirits of Fire.  With all of the rocks slated to be dumped removed, the dwarves have had time for other jobs that have long been neglected - such as stocking the windmill posts with crossbow bolts.  The path they've been taking to do this goes straight through the flooded area where the pump stacks fell apart, so if there were monsters in that area, surely we'd be short a few more workers.

As the days move on, I grow increasingly anxious.  In time, more demons will arrive.  I want to get those glowing pits sealed before that happens.  If we can block their entrance at the source, all of the adamantine of their former prison will be ours.

We only know of three surviving spirits - those who ambushed and killed Led.  I'm tempted to believe we can destroy them if we attack now.  Perhaps this is folly, but when has that ever stopped a dwarf?  The military is stationed once again at the entrance between the bottomless pit and the Y drain.  I order the protective wall deconstructed... hopefully, someone's useless child will run in and happily remove it, unaware of the danger just beyond.

Sure enough, the honor goes to Sarvesh "Murderpaints" Usânlogem, one of six children between Rith Ugoshurvad, a Guard, and Dodók Oddommeb Olonilbåd Uker, also known as Dodók "Cloisterinches the Geared Guile of Waving," also known as one of the novice swordsdwarves about to live just long enough for 'Archibold' to smash her mace into something.

((DFMA)) ((MOVIE)) The wall comes down, and the military meet their foe...

-------
9th Hematite
-------

The military entered the pit to confront any remaining spirits, but none were to be found.  Hastily, we ordered a miner inside to seal it off.  Whoever's brave enough to prove the worth of their beard will dig a staircase down to the bottom from just outside the pit, tunnel directly over to those pits, and build floors over them.  I do not necessarily expect our first attempt to go well.

Just as soon as the military begins their investigation, some goblins arrived!  Oh joy, we're under siege from above and below.

They've brought a rather pathetic force, truth be told.  I have counted 4 groups, containing in total 4 lashers, 17 wrestlers, 4 marksgobs, 6 speargobs, 2 hammergobs, and 1 human guard with a morningstar.  Their only real threat is their timing, since we haven't yet confirmed whether we've destroyed every spirit of fire, and the pit is not yet sealed.

The soldiers are tired.  They've been on the move constantly for the last two weeks.  I fear they might be getting fatigued.  Surely we will survive the siege, but we might have an increased chance of a mortal wound or a death to a warrior we would rather not lose.

On the upside, this battle will be a great opportunity for our five marksdwarves-in-training to gain some valuable experience.  ïngiz Raboddom, Udib oddomthosbut, Ineth Olinurol, Zasit Adillokum, and Dastot Roderzuntîr are stationed at the new fortifications above the ballista battery... which upon closer inspection I see have not been completed.

Shouts and cries of pain echo through the tunnel to the glowing pits.  A fireball shoots down the hall at Medtob as the military was pulling out to defend against the goblins! 

((DFMA)) ((MOVIE)) Hastily, I order the champions and other skilled fighters to turn around and fight.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:53:56 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: October 27, 2012, 02:23:45 pm »

I'd say you're most likely right, Quietust.  At the time, I had no idea why that pump stack fell apart (I think I mistakenly dumped the axels and the bottom pump with the clean tool), but could draw a path between the pit and that contraption.  I intentionally did not research SoFs so this would be a genuine first encounter (well, second if you count the time I intentionally released them on a scum just to see how nasty they were in a head-on fight), so that made Zon's fear and confusion more realistic because I was genuinely afraid and confused :P

I think there's a very likely explanation for what happened, which may or may not have been revealed yet.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: October 31, 2012, 03:08:55 pm »

11th Hematite
Zon

The bloodshed is unsurprisingly brutal.  There are no words to describe it.  It's almost impossible to tell the difference between the charred dwarven remains and those of the spirits of fire.

It has been two days since the ambush took the lives of six of our most valuable warriors.  I didn't have time to accurately count how many had appeared... only three or four of those things, I think.  Amazing how so few can cause so much damage to our seasoned veterans.  Already, the effects of the catastrophe are felt throughout the fort...

Outside, the goblins begin their approach.  I wonder if they have somehow learned of the sudden loss of our most skilled warriors... It's said that goblins worship demons; if that's true, maybe their dark masters have tipped them off to our plight.  I realize I have miscounted the goblins - there was a fifth group, now closing in rapidly, consisting of 8 wrestlers and 7 marksgobs.  I'm still confident we can beat the goblins, but another wave of demons like what we just encountered would surely do us in. 

Stay strong, Zon... you can do this.  The dwarves are looking to me for strength.  I will show it by running into the demon pit and recovering one of the wounded soldiers...

Too late.  Two more dead.  This has to stop now... Some miner better get on the job and reach those pits so we can floor them over right now!!

Again, I find I have miscounted... this siege is at least twice, possibly three times as large as I had originally thought.  I... no, I will not lose hope.  Not yet.

The newly recruited marksdwarves make contact with the southern goblin force, which is far larger and contains significantly more marksgobs than I thought... and the siege operators, preoccupied with collecting wounded soldiers and their equipment, have not come to the ballistas yet.  Only two of the recruits are in position, so while they manage to disable two of the goblins, over all they have had little effect.

Oh Kovest, what could possibly happen to make this any worse?

...Remind me never to ask that question again.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:27:58 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 54