Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130306 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 4!)
« Reply #705 on: August 18, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »

It might be worth walling off your unused mineshafts (or placing locked doors) to reduce pathfinding load. If you think it might help, I could also port some of the current DFHack plugins to 40d tools - "clean items/units" (remove contaminants), "autodump destroy" (take all items designated for Dumping and flag them for auto-deletion), and possibly even something to remove dead animals (and possibly goblins too) from the Units list.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: August 25, 2012, 07:58:34 am »

Those are all great ideas!  If it's not too much trouble, it'd probably be a huge help.  The FPS is the main deterrent to this - that, and working on switching jobs again, so given the choice between DF and boning up on my C# trivia for interviews... sigh.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 02, 2012, 02:43:27 pm »

1 Hematite 211
Asob
---

To whosoever may find this; This might be my last entry.  I apologize for the melodramatics, but something terrible has happened.  It is with great risk that I am recording this, as the worst is coming to pass as I speak.  I must document everything I can, and then hide this journal where it can be found.  Someone will need to know what happened.

---

Minkot and I were waiting anxiously in Zon's office.  Neither of us knew why we had been summoned.  I had a few guesses.

Over the past week, Zon has grown increasingly annoyed, particularly with us.  I fear she has come to view us only as a nuisance and may be seeking to get us out of the way.  It is difficult to think this way, given that Zon was once my best friend.  I'm not sure what made her crack... the pressure of this mission, the fear of what lies within those glowing pits, or... dare I say it?... the allure of power that comes from controlling the lives and deaths of those around you.

We waited for nearly an hour before we finally heard her enter.  I gasped.  She looked awful.  Her eyes are sunken, as though she hasn't slept in days.  Her beard is frazzled - though I suppose that's hard to tell, considering we've all been covered in blood, mud, and vomit for over ten years - and she seemed to be arguing with herself on the way in.

"Uhm," I stammered--

"Shut up.  It's summer, why aren't the marksdwarves in position?"

"Marksdwarves?  What--"

"Elves, idiot!  They'll be on their way.  Goblins too.  And hoary marmots.  Keep them all out.  Also migrants."

King Minkot pounded his fist on Zon's desk.  "Damn you, Zon!  As your king, I will not stand for this.  This fort is in no shape to begin a war with the elves--"

"Coward."

"...What did you--"

"You're a coward.  They're elves.  They like wood.  I like wood too.  That's why I cut it down.  I could cut all those elves down like wood."

Minkot knocked over his chair as he stood.  Quickly, I leapt to my feet, sensing the situation would become dire.  The desk was between Minkot and Zon already, otherwise I would have jumped between them.

"I have had enough of you treating me like a peasant!"

"Then don't dress like one."

"That's it!  Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam, I hearby strip you of all rank and profession!  You are no longer the ruler of this fort.  You are unfit to lead, and you will soon bring death upon our heads unless I stop you now.  Now, before you say one word, hand over your axe, your badge, and remove your things from this office - or so help me, I will bring the Hammerer in here, and we'll see how well you can insult me with your jaw shattered!"

Zon produced her axe, but held it firmly.  "One problem, Stinkot.  I'm the one with the axe.  Now, do as I say and sit down, or I'll see how high you really stand over these dwarves with your legs cut off."

Minkot started to shout angrily, but I knew Zon wasn't bluffing.  Without even thinking about it, I lunged over the table and grabbed her axe by the shaft, but I had failed to realize how much stronger than me she was!  With almost no effort, she butted the axe into my face, toppling me over and almost taking out a tooth.

Just then, the door knocked, then opened.

"Oh!  I hope I am not interrupting anything," remarked Quietust, the Philosopher.

"Not at all!" Zon spoke cheerily, even smiling as though nothing had happened.  "Go ahead and have that seat over there, next to the king.  Asob, are you sure you don't want to go and fetch yourself a chair?  You look silly sitting on the floor like that."

If I thought I could get away with it without getting my head chopped off, I'd have probably punched her right then and there.  "I'll stand," I stated through clenched teeth as I picked myself up."

"Very well.  Quietust, why don't you tell them what you've found?"

"Of course!  Well, during one of my daily wanderings through the mine tunnels, I came across some small bone fragments.  They were near the adamantine fortifications, so I was of course concerned.  I sifted through them to try and ascertain whether they belonged to a dwarf, but as I touched one, a word popped into my head!"

"A... a word?"  Minkot sat back down, apparently so distracted with the story that he, too, forgot all about the ordeal. 

I should have known then that something unnatural was happening, that some unseen hand was directing the events unfolding in that room.  Quietust's coincidental timing, the sudden shift in attention away from the violence that had almost taken place... even I had forgotten about it at the time.  It must have all been part of the sorcery that took place next...

"An ancient word, one I had read about in ancient scripts found in the Old Halls back at the mountainhome - and somehow, I had found that very text within my belongings!  I do not recall taking it with me, but as luck would have it I was able to identify it.  As I held the bone fragment, more words poured into my mind, and I realized soon that it was an incantation!  A powerful spell that will speed up worker productivity.  It will also remove detritus from the fort, making movement and daily life much easier!"

"Well!  I can see nothing wrong with trusting words coming out of some old bones found mysteriously from an unidentified source next to a hole in the wall that opens up to a pit known to contain devil spawn from the very bowels of the earth."  Zon clapped her hands together.  "Let's see what happens!"

I should have protested.  I've had a little experience with these... gifts... the demons leave, and I should have known right away that this would lead to disaster.  Again, I wonder whether some sinister force was present with us, coercing us to make this mistake.  Quietust began reciting words in an unnatural tongue...

"Yttap ekac, yttap ekac!
Rekab nam!
Ekam ym FPS
Sa tsaf sa uoy nac!"

A light tremor shook the floor.  I blinked, and as I opened my eyes, I felt lighter.  I looked down and found that, for the first time in ten years, I was clean!  Pounds upon pounds of caked dirt had miraculously disappeared from my clothing.  On top of that, some spare rocks that had been left laying around waiting to be dumped from Zon's office had miraculously disappeared as well.

Before we had time to celebrate, however, another quake shook the room - this one much worse, and it came with the distinct sound of a large slab of rock splashing into a pool of water.

Zon looked at me, her eyes wide open as she whimpered like a child.  We both knew exactly what had happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "OOC" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 02:58:42 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 02, 2012, 02:51:38 pm »

I should have protested.  I've had a little experience with these... gifts... the demons leave, and I should have known right away that this would lead to disaster.
Did you write that before or after you ran the scripts? If it was before you did great with predicting yourself. :P
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 02, 2012, 02:59:46 pm »

The entire post came after I had run.  This was an unintended mistake that I hope will lead to unprecedented amounts of FUN.  Playing it through now to see what happens, I haven't unpaused yet...
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 02, 2012, 03:43:56 pm »

1 Hem. 211
A.
--

((DFMA)) ((MOVIE)) The pit ripped open, spewing steam and magma mist into the air...  Asën, the god of beauty and art, must surely exist.  Who else could make our imminent demise look so beautiful?

A dozen things happened at once.  The entire military picked up their arms and rushed toward the stairwell, taking position at the most likely breach - the doorway through which the last duke had gone, through the bottomless pit and down a hall connecting to the underground river.

Someone shouted to somebody to pull the lever clearly marked "GET OUT OF DODGE," which was linked to pumps connecting to both the underground river and the magma pit.  Zon's plan had been to flood both into the pit at the same time, obsidian-casting it shut only moments after it had opened.  Alas, the pit was completely full of water already, so the only thing that lever will do is fill it up with even more water...

Zon shouted an order to a random mason to erect a wall in the breach before the demons could escape.  Surely, that dwarf would be lost.  For the first time ever, I did not care.  Zon and I ran as fast as we could to our bunkers... as cowards.

I pulled the lever inside my bunker, retracting the bridge... but I was still not safe!  These things could fly, right?  Hastily, I erected a wall, sealing myself - and a few others, who happened to be feeding upon my private stockpile - inside.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 10:58:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #711 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »

So, did the framerate increase at all? And if it did, which tools were the most effective - removing contaminants, deleting items, or cleaning up the Units list?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 02, 2012, 06:12:17 pm »

The framerate increased significantly, thanks a ton!  I actually ran them all at one time though, so I'm afraid I couldn't tell you which one worked best unless I did them all individually on my backup.
Do it.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 03, 2012, 12:51:24 pm »

"Yttap ekac, yttap ekac!
Rekab nam!
Ekam ym FPS
Sa tsaf sa uoy nac!"

Heh, I get it.

elwessweettea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 04, 2012, 09:27:58 am »

As another player still of 40d (27 years and still strong! 45 dwarves, 6 dead, and only ever one immigrant), I applaud this story. I just read it start to finish, and it was more fun than playing my own story. I managed to wall my legendary cook into a sealed chamber and let her starve to death and have a season-change save without noticing, all because of Severedcoils. My Zon, worshipper of my Asen, salutes!

This is a masterpiece story. It menaces with masterfully worked spikes of fire, superior character, and is encrusted with rings of morality. It was created by KenboCalrissian in the late summer of 2010.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: September 04, 2012, 05:03:22 pm »

Thank you, elwess!  The encouragement definitely helps.  Keep checking back though, the story's not over yet.  In fact, this next chapter should be rather interesting...

Severedcoils - Hide your dukes, hide your cooks!  (Not gonna lie, I'm actually rather proud that Severedcoils now has a killcount in a totally unrelated fortress)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:05:39 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 04, 2012, 07:41:42 pm »

2 Hematite
Summer 211
A.
---

The breach occurred a little before midnight, so I can only guess that it's tomorrow.  Soon, I will probably lose track of the date altogether.  It's been very quiet outside... either that, or the walls are so thick that we can't hear anything.

I suppose that isn't entirely true, however.  I hear movement within Zon's chambers.  Somebody just moved a barrel in there, actually.  I hope she has enough in her chambers to last...

"Hear, hear!"  Melbil Mistêmkogan, Duke Consort to the most recently departed Duchess Feb Koganlikot spoke, "What's all the fuss?  I hear that Asmel Medenrith child was planning on throwing another of his famous 'singles' parties in an hour, and I must freshen up!"

"Freshen up, aye?  Did ye forget al`eady that all that dirt an' muck just up an' vanished only a bit ago?  Lookit y'rself, you're al'eady nice 'n clean!"  Kûbuk Mistêmuker, guard of Severedcoils, sat on the ¤Detailed¤ Gabbro floor polishing her newly cleaned Alder crossbow, legs sprawled out comfortably across the floor.  Whatever was in the engraving she sat upon had a long, forked tail, and it appeared she had sat purposefully upon it in such a way that it looked like the tail belonged to her.

"Hey!  Cross your legs, you're in front of nobility!  You can't be all immodest like that!  What're you thinkin'?"  'Derm' Isakthob, an accomplished metalsmith who I heard from Zon is a bit on the nosey side, flapped her arms like an angry mother hen as she scolded Kûbuk.  She sighed, then looked upon me.  "Though I am curious, Asob.  What's going on?  You ran in here like Azimodos Kezkíg Zoluth, the bat out of hell, and sealed the hall shut!"

I sigh, as exasperated as I am nervous.  "Can we please not bring up the bat... and it's Azinodos, with a 'n.'"

"Oh, let's do bring up the bat!  As ye can see, I am wearing -giant bat leather armor- made from the flesh of that very hellbeast!  Slain by Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam herself, it was."  I doubted the guard's story, considering ever since I've bought reams and reams of giant bat leather every single dwarf to wield a weapon has stated that they were wearing that stupid bat somewhere on their body, though I let it slide.  Kûbuk cocked her head, rocking her feet back and forth like a child.  "I heard these chambers were 'ntended as a panic room or somethin'.  Like, 'n case the ghosts or wha'ever's in that pit 'scaped.  'S'at true, Asob?"

As mayor, I should have learned by now how to be more than only a novice consoler and a dabbling pacifier.  In every other social skill I've become at least competent, but when confronted with people in need of a strong support, I... must admit my shyness returns, and I'm once again the discouraged, reserved little girl who tends to avoid crowds and needs alcohol to get through the working day.  As I pondered this, my hesitation was noticed by the Duke Consort.

"It's not ghosts, dear, but demons!"  Melbil raised his hands in emphasis, ironically shaking his fingers as if imitating the very ghosts he was presently in the process of debunking.  "Foul, treacherous beasts from beneath the belly of the bedrock!" 

"Soo, what, they come from th' bullocks of th' bedrock?"

"Kûbuk!!  What are you thinking??  Between the Mayor and a Duke Consort, either one of them could have the Hammerer come and give you a smashin'!"  Derm threw herself upon the ground and made a plaintive gesture.  "Oh, lords most noble, please forgive this humble guard for her insolence!"

Melbil guffawed, and I must confess that despite the circumstances, I allowed myself a smirk at Derm's antics.  I also must confess that I had forgotten that Melbil was still relatively new to the fort, so his next question surprised me for a moment.  "My dear metalsmith, if the Hammerer could get in here, this wouldn't be a very effective panic room, now would it?  Tell me, what is your name?"

"Me?  Oh! I'm Solon Isakthob.  Just call me 'Derm.'  Pleased to make your acquaintance, fair sir!"

Melbil laughed again.  "Derm.  Please, pick yourself up!  The lady Kûbuk has my leave to be as unladylike as she so desires.  Our good mayor has seen reason to not only retract the bridge leading to this room, but also has erected a wall before it.  Clearly, something has indeed happened that warrants these rather extreme measures, and we should trust her gut on this.  In the meantime, any form of comedy or entertainment is entirely welcome, given that we do not know how long we will need to stay confined."

"An' there sure is a lot o' booze over there that no one's drinkin'!"  Kûbuk picked herself up and headed for the casks.

"So..." Derm paused, "Asob, when are you going to tell us what happened out there?  We want the truth!"

"Calm down, Derm!  Nobody's hiding anything from you.  Kûbuk, if you please, don't go drinking just yet!  We'll need to ration that..."  I exhaled, held back the urge to cry, then took a deep breath.  "There's been an... an accident.  The supporting structure suspending the... the rock meant to punch open the adamantine pit... well, something has caused it to fall.  The pit is now open, and whatever was lurking inside is now out in the open."

"So THAT'S what that calamity was all about!"  Kûbuk came back with dwarven wine dripping through her once-freshly cleaned beard.  "I was all 'Hey, Barduk, want t' go an' shoot at some marmots?'  An' she was all 'Whoa, did ye feel that shakin' in yer boots?"  An' I was all 'Oh, dearie me, if'n you was a man I'd think ye was 'ittin' on me!'  An' she said 'Well mayhaps I am!'  An' 'afore I could say 'Yes please,' she got orders t' go die in a fire."

I shifted uncomfortably in place.  "You, um... seem rather calm about that!"

"Ah, she'll be fine.  I'm bettin' this 'ole thing is jus' a big misun'erstan'in'!  Those demons'll come out 'n say 'Oy!  Make us some hats.'  An' Derm, you'll be all 'Oh boy, I love me some hats!  What kind o' metal ye be wantin'?'  An' they'll say 'BONE!!'"

Derm coughed.  "Ah, yes, that's probably exactly what'll happen.  Though I have to wonder, Asob... why did you save only the four of us?  There are over two-hundred dwarves in this fort, and while these quarters aren't big enough for them all, surely you could have saved a few more of us?"

"I, uh... well, as you say, these quarters are awfully cramped!  And, um, well... you'd be surprised how quickly a lot of space becomes too small for four people!"

Derm eyed me suspiciously.  "You sure you weren't only intending to save yourself, and the three of us just got lucky because we happened to be eating in here at the time?"

Before I could protest, Kûbuk exclaimed while swaying her hips, "What I'M wonderin' is what's a big, handsome guy like you doin' with those fuzzy manacles on 'is belt?"

"Oh, you mean this fine tastefully arranged Restraint?"  Melbil gestured toward the velvety handcuffs that I swear had not been there a moment ago.  "Well, to be honest it's more of a showpiece than anything, though they could come in handy while trapped in a room with three fine Seats to admire."

Derm's jaw dropped to the floor.  As I caught myself wishing they had another room to go play in - or better yet, that I had another room where I could go bang my head off a rock until the funny colors came out, I thanked myself for remembering to bring my +Copper pick+ and went to go dig the dirty thoughts away.  Sadly, the only bed in here was mine, so since they'll probably be soiling it tonight I suppose I'll be sleeping by the freaking well.  Maybe I'll get lucky and fall in.

Shortly before I finished digging, a bloodcurdling dwarven scream could clearly be heard.  At first I thought I'd have to go remind Melbil that he'd only just recently lost a spouse to tragedy, but then I recognized the voice.

"Led Dastotdomas.  A cheese maker.  A simple cheese maker."  I spoke to nobody in particular.  Just as I had been starting to hope that perhaps the demons did not escape, or they were all crushed under that boulder, I had to hear that scream.

It's going to be a long, long wait.

---

It's a bit later in the day.  At least, I'm assuming that not enough time has yet passed for it to be 3 Hematite, but I'm completely guessing.  The others have all fallen asleep.  I can't.  We might be the last surviving residents of Severedcoils, our existence sustained only by our complete anonymity.

I couldn't help but take a closer look at the engraving Kûbuk had been sitting on.

I'm even more convinced that she had chosen that particular seat on purpose... not simply to appear to grow a tail, but to sit on the face of Guzel Stungorukku, the demon who was surely ravaging everything and everyone I hold dear.  I believe she has a stronger grasp of what's going on than she lets on.  Like Melbil, I welcome whatever relief she's able to provide.  I will have to keep this journal especially safe from Derm, however.  I do not know her intentions, but her queries today have left me uneasy.

I know not how long the food and drink will last the four of us.  There is more than there appears to be, as there were several barrels stashed away and forbidden amongst the common goods, but when Zon and I designed these bunkers they were only meant for one person each.

Bored now, and laying awake with my thoughts is doing me no good.  Especially the thought of surviving on our anonymity.  I cannot let this go.  I shall take some time now to write biographies of each of us so that we might be remembered... and to give my mind a break for a little while.

Spoiler: "Melbil Mistêmkogan" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Kûbuk Mistêmuker" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Derm Isakthob" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Asob Momuzzokun" (click to show/hide)

...Quite content... yes, of course I am... that's what I wrote in my profile, so it must be true.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:17:57 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2012, 12:48:36 pm »

~7th Hematite, 211, Early Summer
by Asob Momuzzokun
---

I have no real idea how long we've been trapped in this panic room.  I can only guess.  In fact I have tried to write every day, though I've been delegating those personal notes to my own journal.  Most of them are unsuitable for the histories of Severedcoils - trite dialogs, the unrequited flirtings of Kûbuk teasing the Duke consort, 'Derm' questioning me incessantly for information.  Complaints about the walls feeling closer every day.  Vapid scrawlings about the carvings on the floors and walls, some of happy memories, some of bland shapes, and some reminding us of the reason we're down here.

Every day, I consider whether it's safe to leave this chamber.  We've more or less informally begun taking turns keeping an ear to a wall, listening to the vibrations of the rock for any news of the fort's well being.  Strangely enough, it sounds as though most of the fort is still going about their daily routine - save the distinct vibrations of the entire military marching together toward one place or another.  They seem to be chasing something.  I allow myself to believe it means the threat has been quelled, and they are in the process of routing the last remaining demons.

I curse myself for ever piquing Zon's interest in their... magic.  Ever since I discovered those runes... what, a year ago?  More, less?  I think that point marked the beginning of the decline in my relationship with Zon.  I wish we could be friends again, and be sealed together in the same chamber.  It would be nice to keep each other company, laughing the days away like before.  Perhaps if I hadn't done that, she wouldn't have taken 'Quietust's' findings seriously, the spell never would have been cast, and we wouldn't be in this mess.

Again, I've given way to my frustrations and made this another personal letter.  I do have something to report which I feel is vital to Severedcoils' history... perhaps I need some time to compose my thoughts.  I'll leave these notes in here as there is at least some pertinent information, but I'm going to take some time to compose myself and resume this entry more professionally in a few hours.

---

It is a few hours later.  We've completed the shops a few hours ago, as well as designated stockpiles in the two main chambers.  I am too afraid of breaking the chambers to dig too much for fear of breaching our safety.  It's just as well, too - Derm and I could really use a break from the constant innuendos shared between Kûbuk and Melbil.  They seem to spend most of their time around our well... with the horse, who it turns out is Kûbuk's pet.

Which brings me to the point I wished to write about earlier, albeit a bit haphazardly; Melbil stated earlier that he heard King Minkot rummaging through the food and drink barrels in Zon's chambers, and even communicated with him through Urist code.  He is absolutely convinced of his identity, and therefore his safety.  By tapping on the wall, they held this brief conversation:

Melbil: "I am Duke Consort Melbil Mistêmkogan.  Who are you?"

Minkot: "I am your sovereign king Minkot Zanegamkol.  Well met, Melbil."

Melbil: "Well met, your highness.  Are you well?"

Minkot: "I am well."

Melbil: "Are you safe?"

Minkot: "We are not safe.  Do not attempt Urist code in the future.  They will find you."

Melbil: "Is the fortress under attack?"

Minkot: "Yes.  We cannot see the enemy.  They can fly.  They are fire ghosts.  We will find them."

Melbil: "How many casualties?"

Minkot: "One.  Remain where you are.  Do not attempt Urist code in the future.  They will find you.  I must go."

Melbil:  "How many are with you?"

No response followed.

This troubles me greatly.  Given the... um, episode, between Zon, Minkot, and myself just before this started, I can only imagine a world of trouble if Zon and Minkot are sealed together in close quarters, and yet I have heard no such squabbling.  In fact, while we have all heard many dwarves in those food piles - too many to count, I could say - we're all certain that none of us have heard Zon.  Could Minkot have usurped her bunker and used it to save a whole slew of dwarves?  How many are actually in there?  How long can they keep order?  Why did Minkot seem to be in such a hurry?

"'Allo, Asob!"  Derm sat herself down so next to me she might as well have been on top of me.  This was especially uncomfortable since I was already sitting on the floor with my back to a finely detailed engraving relating to the ascension of the dwarf Zon Castleweakened the Skinny Morals to leadership of The Crypt of Crowns in the early spring of 201 (a very popular subject matter, right up there with the release of that freaking demon whose face I swear is etched about forty times on every wall in this stupid room).  I shoved her aside and scooted away a few inches.

"Whatcha writin'?  More secrets about the fort?  More histories you wouldn't want to get out?"

I slammed this journal shut as she craned her neck to try and read (obviously, I am writing this from memory well after this conversation took place).  I sighed, extra heavily, emphasizing my exhaustion with this dwarf's repeated, blatant intrusions.  "Has anybody ever told you your Conversationalist skills are Dabbling, at best?"

"Oh, don't be like that Asob.  I'm only kiddin'.  I just wanted to hear your thoughts on the situation."

I put my chisel down, and brought my knees up to my chin and crossed my arms over them - making sure, of course, to press this journal safely between my body and my legs in doing so to protect it.  "Well, I am comforted by the fact that we're hearing mostly normal activities going on outside.  If this peace resumes for a few more days... I wonder if it might be safe to come out?"

Derm nodded.  "I'm glad to hear you say that.  We were actually just discussing the same over by the well.  We're startin' to think that we're wrong about what we're hearin' through the walls to Zon's bunker."

"Oh?  Which part?"

"The number of dwarves locked in her room.  We've heard more distinct footsteps than we can count, and certainly more than we feel a chamber this size could safely support.  So..."

"So??"

"We're starting to think her chamber isn't sealed.  It's still being used as a public stockpile and meeting place."

I felt my jaw drop in shock.  "Are you kidding me??"

Derm put her hands up before herself defensively.  "It's only a theory!  Unfortunately, it's the only one that makes any sense to us."

"But what about the king's warning??  He's confirmed that the demons are loose, right?"

"Well, technically he's only confirmed that we're under attack.  It's the beginnin' of the season.  That COULD mean a siege."

"A goblin siege... on top of an unknown number of invisible demons running amok?"

"Don't get ahead of yourself, Asob.  You're speculatin'!"

"Well, OK.  At the very least, since we suspect that Zon's chambers are unsecured, this definitely means we shouldn't break through into her bunker, no matter how tempting."

"What's so temptin' about doin' a thing like that, I wonder?  It's no secret you and her haven't been gettin' along much lately.  Besides that, if we're wrong, there's a whole host of possibly starving dwarves in that little chamber.  Now, we've got enough food in here to last us a long time, but what about them?"

I glare at Derm.  "Are you suggesting we knowingly deny them aide, should we find out that a large number of our friends are right beyond that wall starving to death?"

"Nope!  I was just wondering whether you would think that way."

"No, I'm not--" I stop myself before I say 'Zon...'

"I'm sorry.  Let's change the subject.  Soo, this is an election month for you, right Mayor?"

"That's right... Wait, you're right...!!"

He didn't need to explain, but he did anyway.  "If you're in here, and the dwarves out there are living a normal life, and you can't attend the elections..."

"Oh no!  I'll lose my seat!  Probably to 'Kyronea' Buzatoslan the Planter, she's had aspirations of running for office for a while."

"Maybe you should let us out, so you could go and prepare?"

I bit my lip and chewed on my beard for a while.  "Derm... I know you disagree, but the world isn't all about politics.  I think you're missing the gravity of our situation.  The fort has been exposed to invisible, flying spirits of fire.  Stand anywhere near one of those things, and you'll simply disintegrate.  There is no faster way to convert your body to a pile of hot ash than letting one of those things give you a hug.  And given that they're invisible and flying, you'll never see them coming.  If we breach these walls for even a second, we expose ourselves to a chance that one or more of those things could get in here."

"Well... what if we carved fortifications in the wall to her bunker?  Then we could peek inside, get some extra interaction going on here.  We could get a better idea of what we're up against, or how long we'll have to stay."

I consider that for a moment, then shake my head.  "No, too risky.  For one thing, the digging would make noise that could attract the demons..." Not unlike the noise I've already made by digging out the extra rooms, I only realize now as I'm recording this after our conversation.  "It would also give the demons a chance to look in on us.  Besides, we'd be messing up some really beautiful engravings!"

Hesitantly, Derm nodded in agreement.  "Not only that... but if the chambers are open to the public, then all the dwarves of the fort could look in and see that we're safe when they're not.  It could very quickly become a riot.  Aside from the chaos of the tantrum spiral it might cause, the other miners might decide to break in here themselves, and like you say, that would expose us to danger."

His point causes me to shiver.  "Ye... Yes, you're absolutely right.  Perhaps that's why the king doesn't want us tapping on the wall any more."

"We've worried ourselves enough over this.  And you've persuaded me, Asob, that for right now we are still safer in here than out there.  Perhaps we should return to our crafts, and revisit this at a later time?"

"Yes... but quietly!  Like I said, if it continues to sound like nothing's going on for a few more days, I might be willing to risk it."

"Despite the king's warning?"

I say nothing, but I think to myself  'Especially despite his warning.'

I am stunned.  What could all of this mean?  Put in context with the warnings of the king, it would mean Zon is also not safe.  If her chamber was never sealed... does that mean she never reached it?  That could still mean a number of things.  She's shown incredible skill as a warrior, perhaps she's chosen to join the military and lead the pursuit of the demons herself... no, that wouldn't make sense.  The mere thought of what lied within those chambers shook her deeper than anybody.  More likely, she may have completely snapped and resigned herself to catching fish until the demons catch her.  Or... maybe they already have?  Or maybe they didn't have to; Minkot's been itching to take back control, and the breach of the pit surely brought Zon to her weakest... perhaps Minkot took that opportunity to...

At the very least, it seems the four of us are starting to get used to each other.  This is a very good thing.  So long as we can cooperate, we should be able to see this through.  We just need to be as comfortable around each other as possible...

...which is why I'll have to have a very harsh chat with Derm later who, during our conversation, sought to steal this journal from me, but mistakenly stole my personal writings instead.  To be quite honest though, I'm actually sort of looking forward to seeing her get to the parts about he.  There may or may not be one or more colorful illustrations involving an encounter between herself and rhesus macaques.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:46:11 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 16, 2012, 04:18:40 am »

Wow, just wow.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:54 pm »

~8 Hematite, 211, Early Summer
Asob Momuzzokun
Mayor of Severedcoils
---

I've lost all track of time.  I'm not confident at all that the date is correct, but I have no idea how far I'm off, or whether the actual date is earlier or later than I'm guessing.  It feels longer.  Time seems to move so slowly when you're trapped in a little box.  We could still leave whenever we want to, of course... but then, our lives would be forfeit.  The reverse is also true... at least one dwarf out there knows we're in here.  They would mine us out if it were safe... wouldn't they?

I've found an engraving in here I really enjoy looking at for reassurance.  It reminds me of happier times...

I can't even remember the last time I've seen Zon laugh... but that day when she was ambushed and slayed most of a goblin guerilla force with no armor and only her axe single handedly... surely, on that day she was at her finest.  Especially after, as we celebrated together.  Come to think of it... that may have been Zon's climax, both as a leader and as a dwarf.  I believe it was after that day that her decline truly began.

I've taken to constructing coffins in the masonry shop I've built.  Who knows how many might die out there?  Even if I am overreacting, a stockpile of coffins would be helpful to the fort in the future.  At the very least, the masons could focus their efforts on things other than morbid boxes.

Melbil and Kûbuk are having a grand old time flirting around the well... I'm actually rather impressed though, as raunchy as their conversation gets sometimes I don't think they've ever acted on it.  Melbil seems to be more devoted to his deceased wife than he lets on, and Kûbuk is just having fun.  Once you get used to it, it's sort of entertaining to listen to. 

I've given Derm some time to confess, but she hasn't yet.  I feel I've been patient enough.  While those two are busy chatting away, I confront Derm in the craftsdwarf shop.  She's very clearly reading my journal beneath the table.

"Ahem."

I expect Derm to jump in surprise and make some excuse.  Instead, Derm pauses for a moment (is she finishing reading a sentence right in front of me??), quite calmly closes my journal, and sets it on the workbench beside her.  She does not turn around.

"You know," she says, "if you want to startle someone as you walk in on them doin' somethin' they shouldn't, you don't SAY 'ahem.'  You have to actually clear your throat in a threatenin' manner.  Sayin' 'ahem' like it's a word just sounds dumb."

Angrily, I pound my fist on my journal before taking it and securing it along with this journal.  "Let me tell you what's 'dumb,'" I say through gritted teeth.  "We are stuck in these chambers for an unknown length of time.  Our survival - and our sanity - depends upon the four of us getting along.  Stealing my personal documents is not conducive to our survival."

"Well, considerin' some of your... graphic... illustrations you've got in there, I'd say the sanity's already lost."

"Oh for Armok's sake!  The rhesus macaques only stole your pants in front of everybody.  Don't read too much into it."

Derm turned around to face me, appearing genuinely apologetic.  "And I suppose I'm no better than a rhesus macaque, stealin' from you like that.  I'm sorry, Asob.  You're right.  We're not going to survive this if we don't do right by each other."

I relax considerably.  "Thank you.  I appreciate you being forthright about this.  Look, I understand you're curious about events that have taken place in our past.  The truth is, as time goes on I feel like I know less and less about what's going on too.  But right now, none of that is important."

"Well, a lot of us have some rather... dark... theories about what's going on."

"Y'know, when you do... this... all the time, it makes you sound like a tool?"

"Har har.  Fine, I guess I ought to allow that one after what I did."

"You must understand, Derm, that there are things which are kept strictly between Zon and the king.  It's up to them to deem what is necessary information.  Just like it is within this bunker, we must do what we can to keep order within the population."

"But..."  Derm fell silent for a long time, then sighed.  "I don't agree with you when it comes to our fort's history.  That should be known to everyone.  But I promise, I won't steal anything from you again, or try to snoop for information, so long as we're trapped in here."

"Thank you, Derm.  And for the record, I respect your difference in opinion.  I promise that if we get out of this, I'll bring it up with Zon and the king."

"And if we're sure to die, would you tell me everything because it won't matter anymore?"

"...Derm, you worry me."

Just then, Kûbuk popped in at the doorway.  "'Ey!  Are you two makin' out in 'ere?  If so, I c'n come back later.  'Ave fun!"

"What?!  No!  Ew!  Nonono."  I hastily retreat from the bench, as Derm grumbles and returns to work on... rather, 'appears' to return to work on something, though she hasn't actually crafted anything yet.

Kûbuk chimes in again.  "Oh!  Then you're both goin' t' want t' hear this."

Derm puts down her tools she wasn't really using, and we both follow Kûbuk to the well.  Melbil has his ear pressed firmly against the rough stone wall.  "Listen here, friends!  The fort, it seems, is under attack!"

I feel my heart leap into my throat.  Just yesterday we were talking about leaving, and now... what, roughly a week after the breach?  I press my ear against the wall - sure enough, I hear it.  So many little feet marching toward the fort from all sides, and separately the clanging of dwarven armor moving hastily through the halls.

"Goblins!  We're under siege!"

Kûbuk laughs.  "Oh, those cute lil'uns!  Always thinkin' they c'n take us.  Why, we've fought more 'n this in one go.  C'mon, Asob!  Bust us outta here so we c'n fight!"

"But you're just a guard!  How many goblins have you killed?  Have you ever even killed anything??"

"Ah, well... there's always a first for ev'rythin', right??"

"If I may," Melbil interjects, "it has been longer than a week since the breach.  We have heard nothing indicating a threat from the demons lying within.  Zon's trap may have misfired, but it also must have worked flawlessly - otherwise we would have heard more of a commotion by now!  Surely, the demons must all be dead."

"Yeah!  An' what kinda dwarves would we be if we were in 'ere 'idin' from some puny gobbos?  Why, we might 's well be elves!"

My heart jumps again.  They want to leave!  Do they not understand how these monsters work??  They're invisible!  They could be lying in wait for the right moment... why, there's no guarantee that there isn't one in here with us right now, just watching us suffer!  Desperately, I turn to Derm for her vote.

"I... I don't think we know enough about what's goin' on.  We had a warnin' just the other day that it wasn' safe, and that someone had been killed before this siege.  I say we at least wait out this battle."

"I agree!" I nod, perhaps too hastily.

"Well then, unfortunately we are at an impasse."  Melbil reached into his (cave spider silk dress) and produced a tin coin, with King Minkot's profile stamped on one side, and querns, the symbol of The Swift Arches, on the other.  "I shall flip this coin to make a decision.  Heads, we leave this place and resume our normal lives, and leave the threat of goblin kind to Severedcoils' most renowned military might.  Querns, we stay here and wait out the current conflict.  Agreed?"

Kûbuk claps her hands and smiled giddily, apparently thinking this is all a game.  Derm and I reluctantly nod our agreement.  Without further ado, Melbil flips his coin...

"Heads!  Well, then!  It appears the matter is settled.  Asob, if you would?"

I do my best to conceal my fear.  +Copper pick+ in hand, I pick a spot to break through the wall into Zon's bunker - hoping, of course, that we may find her inside.  I strike the wall once.  Twice.  Three times.  A crack opens through the rough-hewn garnierite wall into the well room of Zon's bunker, and almost at that exact moment, from beyond her chambers--

"Waaaaugh!!  Horrors!  Demons in the deep!!"

Next, we quite distinctly hear a roaring, whooshing sound - as if a great ball of fire had been hurled - followed by an even more bloodcurdling scream.  Sounds of combat from within the fortress can be heard, and soon we can all smell the unmistakable scent of burnt beard and dwarf flesh.

I pile up the rocks against the wall as best I can, desperate to seal the crack, but it's hopeless - the smell permeates every corner of our prison.  Nobody says a word.  Even Kûbuk appears frightened.  At first I'm surprised to see her shaken so, but then I realize what it is that's gotten under her skin.

That scream... the voice belonged to Medtob Elleststâkud, one of the military's champions.  For one of the fort's greatest warriors to be so frightened, so helpless... and to be attacked by demons at the same time that a goblin siege is closing in around us... Asën, help us.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 04:00:25 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 54