Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130365 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 3) - SPOILER'S OPEN
« Reply #615 on: August 28, 2010, 06:07:33 pm »

I honestly have no idea, but I'm positively certain it was 15th Galena, 210, Late Summer
by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

I think most of us are trying to ignore the fact that we have demons in our midsts by drowning ourselves in our work... even though it feels as if time is moving much slower, and work is taking longer to finish.  Things seemed to speed up slightly after we crushed a large number of rocks and narrow goblin clothing, but not by much.  The main level of the siege wall was almost complete, we had a lot of different varieties of roasts made, some gems were cut, we hit a vein of adamantine that's a reasonably safe distance away from the chambers.  Everything was going smoothly.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, right, this was the day we had a cave-in.  Zon screwed something up big time over in the obsidian farm.  Apparently, she wasn't paying attention when she gave orders to mine out the next layer of obsidian, and the miners ended up channeling through the wall and into the level beneath the farm by mistake.  Now, there's a pit around the obsdian, and Rigòth Yawningslings fell 2 z-levels from where she was standing and suffered some moderate injuries, include a broken right upper leg.  She was trapped down there until we could get someone to carve some ramps to get her.

This kind of quiet productivity continued all the way to 10th Limestone, Early Autumn.  The dwarves must be arriving soon, possibly with a new duke and consort.  I've had Zon's diary for too long - she may come looking for it when the next consort arrives, so I'm going to put it back where I found it.  She'll never know it was ever taken!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:52:26 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »

I honestly have no idea, but I'm positively certain it was 15th Galena, 210, Late Summer
by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

I think most of us are trying to ignore the fact that we have demons in our midsts by drowning ourselves in our work... even though it feels as if time is moving much slower, and work is taking longer to finish.

Yeah, when fortresses exist for a long time, reality can become calcified around all the dwarven lives that have lived there, so it makes time flow more sluggishly. :-\
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2010, 09:13:19 pm »

I'd blame the cats, but I've dealt with that problem once already.

mew?

*chop!*
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 30, 2010, 11:30:31 am »

Very, very pleased to see this back. Woohoo!

Good read, too. Funny as usual. And it's somehow ego-stroking to be represented by the greatest warrior in the fortress, as if that actually reflects on me.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 30, 2010, 02:44:10 pm »

Total luck of the draw.  The dwarf I picked for you happens to be the one who's always the first to a battlefield and last to leave.  For the record, I think she managed to kill two SOFs during that trial run against the chambers - could have been more, but she was one of several who ran off to get a drink right before I took down the wall, so I think she ended up being the last surviving champion except for guards.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 05:15:33 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 30, 2010, 04:54:58 pm »

12th Limestone, 210, Early Autumn
Zon Rimtarothil Afentumam
-------------

So.  I'm here writing this thing again.  Asob had the good sense to try and sneak my diary back under my *Alder bed* while I was sleeping in it.  We had a nice long... talk about a dwarf's need for privacy (a concept I've found to completely fall upon deaf ears when it comes to ANYONE around here) in the wee hours of the morning.  And, in the end, it looks like I caved and started updating the stupid journal again.

Alright, well... today's going well so far, work's getting done, nobody's dead yet, I shouldn't have to worry about any stupid frog demons since we have something of a hotter persuasion instead and OH FOR THE LOVE OF--

Augh, what are you doing!  Quit canceling jobs!  Now I've got to redesignate all of those stupid walls and Armok knows what else...

Ok, calm down Zon.  Surely this happened for a perfectly good reason YOU HAVE GOT TO BE *¤»§Ω-ING KIDDING ME!!

Imush.  Of course it would be that blind peasant's fault... looks like he passed out on the bridge trigger.  The jeweller îton Grovestandard and the crippled wardog Rakust Manorsavants have both fallen into the pit below, but nobody's hurt - THANKFULLY nobody was standing in the wrong spot to get crushed.  Hopefully this won't happWHAT.  WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS.

As the retracting bridge returns, it pops Imush back into the air, and he lands on top of another pressure plate!!  How long is this going to go on...

...Huh.  I guess it's done?  Somehow he avoided triggering the plate.  Must have stayed conscious when he landed.  Aaanyway.

Looks like Asob's been having trouble ritzing out Kib's tomb.  It's up to Mausoleum status, but it's not a GRAND Mausoleum.  It's the one on the far left, but it's easy to confuse with the king's tomb.  Gee, Asob, what's the problem?  I bet it wouldn't have anything to do with all those ROCK STATUES.  We have platinum, y'know, why don't you make some platinum statues?

...Oh.  All the forges are filled up with my orders for iron ballista arrowheads.  Um... ok, maybe this one's my bad.  But we have new forges on the way, so surely one of those can be put to use!  I just hope it doesn't take a year for someone to get around to it.  For now, it seems some of the walls and floors haven't been engraved because furniture was set in place before it could be done, so I order that furniture removed so we can get some engravings.

The caravan from Subetrovod arrives on the 14th.  Still no sign of another duke and consort... but they could simply be running behind schedule.  The food market is paying off big time - we bought a great deal of steel armor, hopefully enough to finish off many of these mismatched sets our military's been wearing around.  Not that we don't have the steel to make it ourselves, but... well, if we've got wealth, why not flaunt it?

So, I'm scheming a scheme with our good pal Imush... you know, I seem to recall he used to be a marksdwarf before a well-aimed arrow took out both of his eyes.  What use could a blind marksdwarf have?  Hm, I may have thought of one...

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:53:47 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 3)
« Reply #621 on: August 30, 2010, 05:04:41 pm »

To Our Dearest Beloved Leader, Zon:

It's truly a pleasure to get to knock around killing people without getting into trouble. Sure, I lost the bloodlust a while ago, but at least the fame and thrill of battle remain the same. I'd like a chance at some tougher adversaries sometime, of course. Maybe just a one-on-one with one of those abominations everyone is whispering about?

Anyway, the real reason for the letter isn't to get my nose dirty in exchange for a demon-fighting arena. Actually, I was looking over my wardrobe and thinking.
Unless you want everyone to be looking at the naked magnificence of my body soon, you'd better get on top of those weavers. If I ever do actually wash these rags, they'll surely fall apart.

Your humble servant,
Archibold.
The sigs topic:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2010, 08:11:39 am »

So, I'm scheming a scheme with our good pal Imush... you know, I seem to recall he used to be a marksdwarf before a well-aimed arrow took out both of his eyes.  What use could a blind marksdwarf have?

Why, train him into a blind crossbow champion! If he enters a martial trance, he'll fight just fine.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:01 pm »

4th Sandstone, 210, Mid-Autumn
-------------

We dwarves are a proud, industrious people, filled with creative, intelligent minds capable of great and wonderful feats of architectural prowess.

So, why are all the dwarves in my fortress suicidally stupid?

The waterfall dried up early this year - maybe we didn't have the floodgate open long enough, so this time we left it open longer - enough to cause some minor flooding, but we've planned for that long ago.  Meanwhile, I've ordered the final touches to be placed upon the siege wall, not really paying attention to where the workers got their stone.  Obok Labordawned, one of our starting seven and legendary mason, shows off his legendary reasoning skills by entering the waterfall reservoir to retrieve a stone for part of the siege wall.

If Asob's updates during my hiatus are correct, isn't Obok one of the same idiots who ran through the wall of fire??  I suppose this is partially my fault, since that door should have been forbidden long ago... but come on, can't a dwarf use his head??  Unfortunately, as one of our starters he was trained to be a swimmer in case of emergency so he's able to survive this catastrophe without any problem.  At least he'll be a bit cleaner for a while after his bath...

I found a note from Archibold a while ago, requesting new clothes and a demon-fighting arena.  I suppose the clothes aren't a bad idea - I'm sick of seeing so many second beards, and since construction is finished on the wall there will be a lot of masons freeing up for new work.  A demon-fighting arena... I can't see that happening.  Everybody's been working painfully slowly ever since the chamber's opened, and we need to clear it out ASAP.  That's why we're caving it in, then redirecting the underground river and a magma channel into it.  We need to deal with this fast so that everybody can get back to work - and if something goes wrong like it always inevitably does, I'll need every champion on hand to deal with the threat. 

On that note, it might be prudent to designate a few extra miners, as there's much work to do yet, and I'm thinking we need to resume exploratory mining as we're running low on rare materials.  If we're going to keep getting duke consorts, and they're all going to demand Grand Mausoleums and other ridiculous things, then we need more aluminum and platinum, and fast. 

I wonder if decorating some masterwork cave spider silk ropes would be a good idea too... silk is replenishable, it practically grows like mold around here.  In fact, let me check my notes... 639 bolts of cave spider silk cloth (many of which are masterwork quality), 1280 cave spider silk threads.  Yes... it does seem as though I've forgotten about our cloth industry.  Let's get that back in gear!

I feel like I've been forgetting something...

...Oh.  Quarters for the next consort, who's due to arrive some time this autumn.  Uh oh...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:54:37 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #624 on: September 04, 2010, 07:58:30 pm »

...Oh.  Quarters for the next consort, who's due to arrive some time this autumn.  Uh oh...

Nitpick: the caravan arrives in Autumn, and the nobles arrive in the Spring.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #625 on: September 05, 2010, 01:39:27 pm »

I suppose the clothes aren't a bad idea - I'm sick of seeing so many second beards,

*spit-take* :o
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:03 am »

Nitpick: the caravan arrives in Autumn, and the nobles arrive in the Spring.

Really??  Man, it HAS been a while.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2010, 06:23:54 pm »

FYI, I haven't given up on this again already.  Updates will be slower than they were before.  I'm still working in the same software development company, but we've been critically overloaded with customer demands and I'm working late often.  I'll update when I have the energy and consciousness to do so, but I don't think it should ever take more than a week between posts.  Haven't decided if I feel like it tonight.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 08, 2010, 07:55:09 pm »

28th Sandstone, Mid-Autumn, 210
-------------

This month disgusts me like a miasma.  That's because we had dwarves vacating the fisheries and kitchens to attend parties thrown by Quietust and some random kids, leaving food to rot!  Honestly.

The forges and smelters have been used extensively of late.  My orders for thirty suits of steel plate have gone through, but most of them were of base quality.  What a shame... I've ordered anything that was below +quality+ to be melted down and reforged, netting us with only eight good ones.  I think things will go better this time, since we had a few fine ≡quality≡ sets.  The stair design was impeding progress - upon reviewing my notes, it seems the original intent was to construct defensively designed hallways in case of attack from stray fire imps, impeding them from a straight shot into the food stockpiles.  There was never a need for this in the first place, however, since we carefully designed the magma vents with fortifications and sealed every hole.  Some new stairways are being mined out to speed up the forging process.

More chairs, thrones, armor racks, and cabinets are being carved as well.  Meanwhile, I have several iron weapon racks ordered up - these will help train the blacksmiths so that we can eventually make some great looking gold, aluminum, and platinum statues.

Nobody's working on the stupid roads in front of the stupid ballistas, so I have to work on them my own stupid self.  I haven't validated the silk clothes yet because roads are stupid.  I mean because nobody's doing the work I already told them to do.

On 11th Timber, 210, Late Autumn, some migrants have decided to brave this terrifying place, knowing it may be their tomb.  We received 1 hunter, 1 woodcutter, 1 fishery worker, 1 dyer, 1 carpenter, and 1 miner.  Because we all know how much I love keeping secrets from as many people as possible.  At least those are all useful!
Do it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 08, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »

Haha. The usual DF bugs and inconvenient features make for great storytelling, don't they?
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 54