Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130385 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 3)
« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2010, 03:28:45 am »

Epic story. I demand entry.

Name: The Overlord
Profession: macedwarf
Personality: Uber-faithful worshipper of [insert appropriate god here]

Backstory (if 'tisn't a problem):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, an Archibold-idolizing macedwarf who refers to himself in the third person.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

M'Lad, ye'll go far with sech noble ambitions.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 27, 2010, 01:36:18 pm »

*bump*
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 29, 2010, 04:00:41 pm »

I'm surprised to see there's still someone waiting for an update!  I'm honored.

I have to explain, I simply don't have the time.  Because of the framerate, a single update costs me an entire night of my week, and I don't exactly have that luxury or the correct mindset right now for personal reasons.

I don't want to consider this dead, but right now it just isn't as fun to update.  But there is another way...

I was doing some thinking about a month ago and I realized that the type of challenge presented would probably make a really fun succession fort (I may have even mentioned that in a post somewhere).  So, perhaps we could set one up, either from the existing game or creating a new one.  This can be done in a separate thread so that on a later date, when things have calmed down and I'm feeling up to writing again, I can get back to the story without another game disrupting canon.  A separate game would quite likely spur my interest back into continuing the story, truth be told.

Thoughts?  Interests?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:46:19 am by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 29, 2010, 04:03:48 pm »

This is a good story, so I am willing to wait. As for the succession fort, it would be fun, but I don't have the time.

And I hope that things become better so you can update.
To be partly feline,

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 29, 2010, 05:36:56 pm »

I can wait. The story is more than good enough to merit that.
Succession fort... I wouldn't be able to join, but I would definitely watch closely.

And yeah. I hope things get better for you. Preferably soon. Ideally now.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 29, 2010, 10:58:19 pm »

Getting a succession fort going right now, with everyone just hanging around for the new release, is close to impossible.

Of course your fans are still sitting around hoping you'll be inspired to continue your story. These things do tend to burn out; the creator gets enough of exploring an idea and is ready to move on. Hopefully you will be inspired again by this challenge and story, or at least bless us with another narrative to read.

Maybe one with a more limited drag on framerate.
The sigs topic:

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 30, 2010, 10:22:08 am »

I'm interested in more updates and would sign up for the succession fort.

I'm not a particularly good player, but I can at least hold a fort together without problems.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:22 pm »

The support alone is inspiring :D  Perhaps I'll just make smaller updates, at least for a time.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2010, 02:53:52 pm »

The support alone is inspiring :D  Perhaps I'll just make smaller updates, at least for a time.
Yay!
To be partly feline,

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 22, 2010, 01:24:51 am »

Still watching this thread... I would love to join a succession fort (once I get un-addicted from Spore. Heheh.)

Kenbo, if we started a NEW succession fort, would it be on 40d or the new release?

Another idea... What if we started a new succession fort, and just passed around in a circle? What if we didn't require a whole year for a turn, but anywhere from one season to two years? That way, the people who had tight schedules could participate without making a huge commitment, and the people who were really enthusiastic could really keep the fort going full tilt.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 22, 2010, 01:50:59 am »

Still watching this thread... I would love to join a succession fort if I could stop playing lame games!

Kenbo, if we started a NEW succession fort, would it be on 40d or the new release?

Another idea... What if we started a new succession fort, and just made this into Sparkgear?

"fix'd".
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »

Hey, glad to see some people are still watching this.  Unfortunately, things keep going from bad to worse in Real Life (but at least I still have a job and a home), so the creative juices just haven't been flowing lately.  I'm deeply sorry to those who are disappointed in the lack of updates, there's just too much going on right now for me to invest the time I once put into this.  Keep the thread open, though, and some day I'll find an opportunity to get back to this.

That said, I'd actually love to see a succession fort made with this idea, but as of now I'm unable to organize it.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 02:17:43 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 20, 2010, 01:07:59 am »

You have my sympathy for your life problems, friend. I must say, this has been an engaging story, and I have been checking this thread regularly alongside The Order of the Stick and Gunnerkrigg Court, my favorite webcomics.

That being said, I have no doubt that we will see more Consort Accumulation Challenges in the future. I speak for the community when I say that your creative, original challenge and superb narration have been an inspiration. I feel that the challenge will become popular among Bay12ers. I wait for Severdcoils 2 with great anticipation. If you decide to open a consort-accumulation succession fort, PM me.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:45 pm »

10 Felsite, 210, Late Spring
by Asob Momuzzokun
-------------

The failure of the magma structure combined with other personal difficulties have taken a serious toll on Zon's emotional health.  I fear for my friend's continued well-being, so I have taken the liberty of securing her diary.  I doubt she's even noticed....  I'd wonder about the king's response to her complete disregard to his orders to keep an up-to-date record of affairs in the fortress, but that isn't a concern.  I've seen Zon back the king into a corner many a time, both verbally and physically.  It would appear our king is a craven... That should have been obvious, since he's never changed out of his peasant's garbs.  So, Zon is in no danger from our wimpy majesty, and she's even survived a severe goblin ambush with no armor and only her axe.

The only threat to Zon is herself.  And I haven't seen her lately.

It is currently late Galena - nearly four months have passed since Zon's last update to fortress affairs.  So much has transpired!  Unfortunately, Zon hid her diary after some very harsh words with me about snooping through it, and it's taken me this long to find it.  It was where I've always suspected, but feared the most... inside the ≡Basalt coffin≡ containing the remains of her belated lover, Ast Numsazit the speardwarf.

So, now there are four months of fortress history missing... I will try to make up for that from memory!

Some time in early Felsite, Zon relinquished command of the fortress to me to mourn the failure of her magma structure.  I tried to tell her that it wasn't a failure, but an obstacle... Quietust the Philosopher even tried to suggest ways she could fix it, but it didn't help.  Over these four months, the structure has remained unchanged, and sometimes I would see her just staring at it from a distance.

The fires from the magma tower spread through the area where we were clearing trees, burning away several logs as well as two animal traps.  The traps were empty... at least I THINK they were!  Oh well.  I kept a close eye on the area to make sure that nobody tried to run in gathering logs - a few had, but I ordered them away as soon as I spotted them.  It's kind of fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure the fires started to burn pretty much exactly like this:

I attempted to cheer her up by commissioning 30 Iron Statues - they're not pretty or artful, and I would have liked to use gold, but I know that would have made Zon angry.  Zon would have used iron since it's plentiful, we can get it from goblins, and it's the cheapest way to train our blacksmiths.  I even designated some new furniture stockpiles to make room for them.

Meanwhile, the walls near the adamantine deposits continued to be fortified.  Zon insisted that we take this careful measure if we insist on mining the precious blue ore... at first she allowed none of it, but when Derm the Metalsmith pointed out that adamantine could probably function as a mechanism in magma, and that we might be able to use it to build hatches for her tower, she reluctantly agreed to allow mining.

One of the new macedwarves who came with Rith Likotāst wouldn't give us his true name... he simply called himself "The Overlord" and started picking fights with Archibold.  Apparently he wanted to be his rival or something?  He's got a long way to go, though.

Olon Helmeddrills, a Stoneworker, withdrew from society.  He started muttering to people near him and became peculiarly secretive as he claimed a craftshop.  Meanwhile, Inod Glazednoses the first Duke's consort made a demand for a black bronze chest, while Kikrost Bustcrimson the Dungeonmaster requested a silver armor stand.

By 10th Felsite, the fires reached the majority of our standing trees.  We would soon face a wood shortage... it was around this time that Zon began to withdraw from society, and not in the running-off-to-claim-a-workshop kind of way.  Without trees to cut, she was spending her time almost exclusively fishing or carrying rocks... even talking to the rocks... and when the smoke got too bad around the ponds, soon she gave up fishing too.

Thīkut Eralzefon, a legendary fortress guard, gave birth to a boy she named Olon Mirrorchamber.  Surely, this baby will learn a lot from her mother as he's carried into battle and wielded as a shield, just as he'll one day hope to hold himself!

I was paying so much attention to the fires that I totally forgot about this artifact, and allowed Olon to use poor materials.  Ah well...

Fortunately, many trees were surviving the fires, so there was no wood shortage in our immediate future - lacking saplings, however, meant we may run into trouble later.  The bigger problem was that the fires were encroaching on our front gate.  I instructed our builders to get a wall between us and the flames, but the wall pretty much only served to attract dwarves closer to the fire... Why were you trying to walk THROUGH the flames to get to the rocks to build the wall with??  In the end, I ordered all workers inside, allowing only soldiers outside to spar in the barracks.

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Yet despite my best efforts...  there were two LEGENDARY dwarves who disobeyed.  Even after recruiting them, after stationing them inside, after ordering ALL dwarves inside...

((Still playing the same ol' 40d.  We're going to give this another shot!  I can't promise updates as frequently as I used to, but we'll see how things go.))

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:44:43 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54