Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130412 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 3)
« Reply #555 on: February 28, 2010, 10:41:20 pm »

25th Slate, 210, Mid-Spring
-------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rith the deluded Duke is in the tower tugging away at his lever.  Meanwhile, just around the corner, the child prodigy Ineth Olinurol is taking the floor apart because I told him he could have some +River spirit biscuits+ if he did.  We don't really have +River spirit biscuits,+ or for that matter, any type of booze biscuit period.  The image of a child slowly chipping away at the Duke's only path of escape from his fate is indeed an image of progress.

...And then Ineth got thirsty and left the job undone.  Unbelievable... you'd think a child just does as it pleases!  The child Mebzuth Febiden comes around later - Rith, amazingly, still pulling that lever like his life depended on it (really, his life depends on not standing there pulling that lever, but we won't tell him that!) and finishes removing the floor.  Immediately, I order a wall to be built in its place, which is set by Fikod Rig̣thishen.

The lever, truly, has no function other than to direct Duke Rith to a specific spot within the tower while we work.  Eventually something will happen, but it will be due to a different lever being pulled.  Rith will be none the wiser.

"The tower is ready," Quietust tells me.  "With the alterations you've made it should now work as intended."

"Excellent.  By the way, what was all that nonsense Rith was going on about with me earlier?  He called me a 'he' and said all sorts of things like I was... I don't know, royalty or something."

"Better than that... a god."

"...Beg pardon?"

"I have told Rith no lies, Zon.  I told him about the far away dwarven culture of The Violet Ink.  Among their pantheon is a very particular god which took to Rith's interest..."

"And that would be?"

Quietust presented me with a masterfully engraved slate depicting the image of a mighty dwarven god, beard flowing and spread wide as if caught in a terrible tempest, his judging gaze peering deep into me.  My eyes wandered lower to the inscription beneath the portrait... and my heart nearly leapt from my chest.

"You are a god, Zon.  At least, you share a name with one in a foreign land.  But as far as Duke Rith is concerned, you are the walking physicial embodiment of The Violet Ink's god of order."

"Quietust... you convinced Rith that I was this god?"

"Indeed.  I didn't even need to lie... I simple left out a few key details."

"Do you think... perhaps you could convince others of this?"

"Perhaps... but Rith is simple-minded.  He didn't even notice that you are female, a direct contradiction to the depiction of this god here.  If you want me to help you with this, find a skilled liar to make an appropriate forgery."

"You really would help me... but why, Quietust?"

"As I explained, you are my case study.  Grave decisions are being made by your hand, all on account of your royal mission.  The nature of the mission is affecting your psyche in ways never before examined, and I am fascinated by the path you take.  Some very big things are going to come of this, and I want history to remember what a dwarf can be driven to do under the right influences."

"Yes... yes, you're correct!  We're making history here!  After this mission kills me, the world should know about what happened here!  All the world should know my name - and until then, let them worship it!"

The Wise Quietust nodded sagely.  "Ah, I see now what it is that motivates you, Zon.  It should have been obvious once I deduced that you weren't in this for profit.  The number two reason why someone would go forward with your plans."

I motion to a particular lever in the dining room - one that had been pulled once before, but was met with unflattering results.  "Ladies and gentledwarves, it's time!  The Molten Tower of Zon is complete!  In the names of our masons who constructed this holy landmark stone by stone, and in the names of the mechanics who saw to the completion of the tower's machinated heart, I give you, without further ado, the first launch of the Igneous Path!"

"Igneous Path?"  Asob piped up.  "You can do better than that!"

"I wish my husband were here to see this!" exclaimed the soon-to-be-widowed Duke Consort Kib Snakesrelic.

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) "Pull the lever!!"

« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:37:49 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 28, 2010, 10:45:59 pm »

Nice update. Like the humble duke. Are you still accepting requests for dwarfs?

Yep, still open.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 28, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »

On an unrelated note, what have you had me doing for the last since I was mentioned?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 28, 2010, 11:15:21 pm »

Very nice. Out with a bang sizzle.

On that same note, I noticed that there are no holes in the cross-shaped sections for the magma to drop through. Was that intentional, or another mistake?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 28, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »

On an unrelated note, what have you had me doing for the last since I was mentioned?

Honestly, I don't know.  Probably dumping rock.  I don't keep up to date with the happenings of every named dwarf.  I consider this more of a Challenge/Story fort than a Community fort, so Community dwarf updates only happen when they fit with the story.  Sorry.

Very nice. Out with a bang sizzle.

On that same note, I noticed that there are no holes in the cross-shaped sections for the magma to drop through. Was that intentional, or another mistake?

Intentional.  Gimme 5 minutes and I'll have a really short update for you showing how it works.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 28, 2010, 11:30:06 pm »

5th Felsite, 210, Late Spring
-------------

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) DAMN IT!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 06:41:37 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 28, 2010, 11:32:49 pm »

Erp.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2010, 12:28:16 am »

Now that I think about it, it's not surprising that it turned out that way - since the magma is being pushed by pump pressure, it's only going to the nearest open tile, which happens to be by that single hole.

Too bad you don't have bauxite, or you could have put hatches over all of the openings and linked them to a repeater to open one at a time, in sequence.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #563 on: March 01, 2010, 12:37:51 am »

I recall asking for a dwarf here.

If I didn't, then, make him an engineer, if you can.

Name: Coder from the wild

If an engineer is not available, can you assign a worthless peasant to be one?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 01, 2010, 03:44:56 pm »

Nice update. Like the humble duke. Are you still accepting requests for dwarfs?

Yep, still open.

Yay! Can I have a mechanic dwarf? Name him or her Diab.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 01, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »

Sorry addict, if I missed the request it's because I truly forgot, not because I hate you.  ;)

It's convenient that I have requests for an engineer and a mechanic at the same time.  I need to throw a pair of dwarves into the magma puddle oozing on the grass out of frustration brainstorm with some technical folks about how to fix this calamity.

Now that I think about it, it's not surprising that it turned out that way - since the magma is being pushed by pump pressure, it's only going to the nearest open tile, which happens to be by that single hole.

Too bad you don't have bauxite, or you could have put hatches over all of the openings and linked them to a repeater to open one at a time, in sequence.

Yeah, I'm still surprised though.  I thought the magma was going to go for the nearest available square with regards to its current magma level - in other words, it would first fill that square with 1/7, then find the next nearest square and fill that with 1/7, and so on.  That probably would mean not all of the holes would have magma as it would be spilling out before the magma reached the others, but at least it would have come out in more than one place.

No possibility of bauxite since the king's here and I can't make requests of the dwarves.  The funny thing is they'll sometimes bring blocks of bauxite, so if I hadn't discovered HFS I might have had some!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 07:53:01 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:22 pm »

Diab, Mechanic reporting for duty! And I suppose you could use raw adamantine in place of bauxite for mechanisms. It shouldn't melt. Up to you if you want to use it though.
To be partly feline,

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #567 on: March 01, 2010, 08:19:23 pm »

Sorry addict, if I missed the request it's because I truly forgot, not because I hate you.  ;)

It's convenient that I have requests for an engineer and a mechanic at the same time.  I need to throw a pair of dwarves into the magma puddle oozing on the grass out of frustration brainstorm with some technical folks about how to fix this calamity.

Yeah, I'm still surprised though.  I thought the magma was going to go for the nearest available square with regards to its current magma level - in other words, it would first fill that square with 1/7, then find the next nearest square and fill that with 1/7, and so on.  That probably would mean not all of the holes would have magma as it would be spilling out before the magma reached the others, but at least it would have come out in more than one place.

No possibility of bauxite since the king's here and I can't make requests of the dwarves.  The funny thing is they'll sometimes bring blocks of bauxite, so if I hadn't discovered HFS I might have had some!

It's ok, just give me a guy now ;)

Can you adjust the melting points of some rocks and use them?
I don't think it requires a regen since it does not add anything.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 01, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »

Can you adjust the melting points of some rocks and use them?
I don't think it requires a regen since it does not add anything.

Hmmm. How would Kenbo tie that into the story?
To be partly feline,

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #569 on: March 01, 2010, 08:50:13 pm »

Infinite storyline possibilities exist ;)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 54