Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130455 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 2)
« Reply #510 on: February 03, 2010, 06:53:00 pm »

18th Limestone, 209, Early Autumn
-------------

"To shreds, you say?  Oh my..."

"That's right... the goblins ambushed him while he was deconstructing a wall of our magma tower."  Asob met with the dwarven traders of Subetrovod and explained the 'fate' of the late Duke Lolor.

"And what of his wife?"

"She was an emotional wreck for a while, but she's being compensated with a ≡Pitchblende statue≡ as we speak to soothe her nerves."

"To shreds, you say?  Oh my... still, your fort cannot be considered a duchy without a duke!  We'll need to send another one right away!"

"Of course... and please, send along these *Dwarven syrup roasts* posthaste to Duchess Unib."

Spoken like a champ... Asob has truly gained the trust of her people, even those she meets for the first time.  I guess there's something about her that makes people feel they can confide in her.  You'd never expect to be lied to by someone as innocent-minded as she, I suppose.  She absolutely slaughtered the merchants with cutthroat sweet-talking and letting the traders sample our amazing roasts. 

One of her best trades involved pulling ¤8540 wealth while giving them only ¤1280 profit... and I think I know how.  We offered very little variety this year, bringing over only twelve high-value roasts.  While the traders might have been tempted to counter-offer on some of these deals, we didn't offer anything of small enough value for them to get away with it!  Their counter-offer would have to include another high-value roast, which went above and beyond our offer (much like those cursed elves are known to do), and they were given no choice but to accept.  Clever, Asob... you found another way to exploit the system.  Unfortunately, the loss in profit may reduce the amount of good available to us next year, so maybe this wasn't a good thing.

The magma trap is coming along well.  The plan to extend the pump stack is actually taking less time than expected to see through - there really isn't a lot of reconstruction needed, so it works out in the end.  Meanwhile, we've also finished access to the river tower, and have channeled out a spot for the underground river to drain in.  It'll be a while, however, because the water needs to pass through a u-bend before reaching the pump stack.  In the meantime, I have some walls built on the business end to prevent leakage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sarvesh Usânlogem, only son of Rith Ugoshurvad the Guard and Dodók Oddommeb Olonilbĺd Uker the Wrestler, and brother to four female siblings, withdrew and found his way into the craftsdwarf shop.  Too bad we can't get an artifact from a professional for a change!  He immediately grabbed some obsidian and... and...

...That blue stuff... that isn't what I think it is, is it?  Asob, please, don't tell me you're responsible for this...

I'll have to deal with this later... I think I've noticed another vulnerability of the magma project.  It has started raining, and as I watch the raindrops fall into the divots where the magma is meant to pour out from, I wonder... is rain enough to create obsidian and plug up the holes?  This would have catastrophic results, as channeling out the obsidian could be extremely dangerous in this situation.  I'm not sure that it's necessary, but all the same I feel inclined to build a roof over these holes to make sure this doesn't happen.

Workers are still carrying rocks from the first floor into the disposal room.  I can't believe how many rocks are in there right now!  It doesn't seem like many, but there are literally tons and tons and tons of stone in there - and still more coming!  The old dump pile had quite a bit of stone to begin with, so it sure is taking a while.  I decide to give them a hand and end up stuck here for days, walking back and forth along this same path!  Tedious... but in the end, I think we'll be doing a lot of good for productivity's sake.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 03:15:53 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 03, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

Yaaaaayyy update!@!11!21!@!!!

*TURNS AROUND TO READ IT*

**Turns off accidental caps lock**
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 03, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 03, 2010, 08:44:12 pm »

18th Limestone, 209, Early Autumn
-------------
"To shreds, you say?"
"And what of his wife?"
"To shreds, you say? Oh, dear..."
I've heard this before... I KNOW I have... but I can't put my finger on it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 03, 2010, 08:46:01 pm »

Futurama.
The Proffesor.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 03, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »

He's got it.

"To shreds, you say? Oh my."

Definitely the Professor.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 03, 2010, 09:48:29 pm »

2nd Sandstone, 209, Mid-Autumn
-------------

Oh good.  Another bracelet.  Just what this fortress needs... another legendary stonecrafter.  Seriously, kid, you're obviously just screwing around in the craftshop.  Look, you just scribbled cats all over this bracelet, not to mention another picture of The Deified Furnace.  Why aren't kids these days interested in making obsidian swords?

"I say, Zon, when are you going to smash all of those rocks to smithereens?"

Reg Handlerims, Lolor's consort, accosts me like a nagging bat - or worse, a bat man who tells terrible jokes.  "What difference does it make, Reg?  They're rocks.  They aren't hurting anyone."

"They're unsightly!  I won't have you cluttering up this room any longer.  Imagine how long it takes for your workers to walk in and out of that tiny room with all those rocks piled right next to the door!"

"Actually, I've been doing it myself, and it doesn't really bother me..."

"Harumph!  I'm pulling this lever, whether you like it or not."

"Fine, just give me a second to lock the door so nobody tries to go inside first!"

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Reg Handlerim is happy to oblige pulling the lever.  But, just like the consort herself, our efforts thus far are useless!  Work continues to drag on as slowly and painfully as ever.  Even with a portion of the first level's floor clear, work is hindered by the clutter of these stones everywhere, may they return peacefully to the arms of Armok.  I shoo Reg away and continue trudging along, throwing more rocks under this bridge... Oh, how I long for the days when I was but a fisherdwarf.

And yet, just as I say this the river fails me.  Water is not traveling up this u-bend like I expected!  Why, Kovest, do you torment me so?  I've just about had it with these fluid towers... granted, these are my first times working with u-bends and magma pressure and the like, so I'm not surprised to find I've made mistakes.

Actually, this may work in my favor.  I had never intended to allow a constant flow of water to the reservoir above, and was going to control the flow with a lever in the pump room.  Now, we can control it with manual pumping power, which by now a few workers are amazingly good at.  Let's just build a pump there and forget about it!

I'm getting really tired of the slow pace of work, so I take it upon myself to build the pump for the river tower.  Honestly... I give out these orders, and the laborers are clearly making the easy jobs - like carrying rocks to the dump pile - higher priority than the more important stuff.  Though I'd love to cancel the dumping to get the dwarves rolling, the truth is I don't really want to.  All that will lead to is a bunch of idle dwarves while one or two actually do the work I need them to.  I have no idea where any of our mechanics are - there are several, especially after assigning a few more - yet none of them are coming to deconstruct the mechanisms that are in the way of the new magma pumps that still need installed!  At least the roofing over the magma tower divots are going up fast...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 10:34:39 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 03, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »

I was wondering where you were getting this artifact iron cabinet from... Your dwarf hasn't created an artifact yet, but if he does, and he makes an iron cabinet with gems, I will be sufficiently awestruck.
Do it.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2010, 09:57:22 pm »

;).

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 03, 2010, 10:02:08 pm »

Water that isn't under pressure from a pump rises to the level below its source. Learned that from the wiki.
The sigs topic:

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 03, 2010, 10:32:27 pm »

Whoo, another update! Glad to see your pump system is working (somewhat.) I can't wait to see the magma trap in operation. Remember, you promised to test it on the next baron/baroness!
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48:08 pm »

Water that isn't under pressure from a pump rises to the level below its source. Learned that from the wiki.

It's sad, until recently I had Kanddak's far superior pressure explanation sigged, and I still screwed it up.  XD
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #522 on: February 03, 2010, 10:53:10 pm »

If, however, you were to dam the underground river (e.g. using a cave-in), then that ought to be enough to force the water through the rest of the U-bend.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 07, 2010, 08:36:52 pm »

23rd Timber, 209, Late Autumn
-------------

This month has been quite boring.  The river tower is finished, including the manual pump that we'll have to use to get water up to the "shower" reservoir.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to want to pump it!  There's definitely access, since I tested it by designating a wall inside the tunnel just to see if anyone would complain.  Perhaps we'll try digging a more direct tunnel to it and disabling the two pumps in our exercise room.

The magma tower is coming along smoothly as well.  There haven't been any hangups--

--oh good another giant eagle is coming.  I mobilize the marksdwarves to defend the tower builders, but the eagle flies harmlessly away.

Speaking of giant eagles, I decide to release all of our adults to let them breed like crazy.  We have a pretty good number of them now, but if we want the animal trap to work against larger hordes of enemies we'll need all the eagles we can get.

Asob keeps demanding beds... why, honestly, do we need more beds?  We have more rooms available than dwarves, there's no reason we should have to make any more.

Strangely, the workers all spontaneously began working a little bit faster the moment the last stone was removed from this new tunnel.  It's a bizarre phenomenon, this global speed at which work is completed... I've devised a system of measuring this speed by FPS - that's "Footsteps Per Second."  Prior to this tunnel's construction, we had an average FPS of seventeen - now, it's suddenly twenty-four.  But why?  The tunnel was only added to allow faster transportation to a pump we often will have no interest in using.  Otherwise, it bears no significant improvement on overall transit time throughout the fortress.  Why, then, does this seemingly innocuous tunnel have such a significant impact on our FPS?  Regardless, I'm much happier that this rate has improved, even if I wasn't expecting it and don't understand the reason.

As winter rolled around, a kobold interrupted me while I was fishing for turtles.  I sent its head rolling back to its maker.  That's fourteen notable kills and a rhesus macaque for me!  Three other kobold thieves attack, only one escapes with its life.

More freaking beds for Asob, and a few golden goblets for Reg.  Each day, I'm starting to feel more and more like a servant.  This isn't how I wanted my name to be remembered at all!

By 24th Moonstone, Early Winter, the improvements to the pump stack in the magma tower are complete and all wall sections - except for one - are in place.  There is but one more thing that needs to happen before I consider the project complete and commence with its second test run.  I would sketch an image of it here, but I'm going to do that at the end of Winter anyway, so what's the use of doing it now?

Reg Stillpages, a Planter, is taken by a Fey mood and takes command of a mechanic's workshop.  Hmm... There's no mystery as to what he'll make, but I'm not sure what to do with an artifact mechanism.  It'll most likely be placed in a room somewhere to increase value.  I don't bother with forcing Reg to use the best ingredients - I'm not really interested in his artifact, and it's not like we don't have enough wealth already.

I've about given up on catching whatever gross creature Kikrost the Dungeon Master said we needed for milk.  We've dug into most alcoves of the chasm and several levels of the bottomless pit, and all we're catching are cave spiders... cave spiders who keep biting our workers and leaving them with chronic bouts of temporary paralysis.  This seems a gamble that has not paid off...

The giant eagles have been allowed to fraternize long enough.  I cram them all back inside their cage, where their chicks will be born pre-caged and we won't have to worry about moving them in later.

Whoop dee doo.  I don't believe him when he says there's an image of a hidden moon in Olivine... I've looked all over the stupid thing and I don't see any moon!  But, hey, having a Legendary Mechanic is really nice... at least, it would have been if I had one before we finished setting up all the machinery and levers for the stupid magma tower!!

With the tower's construction more or less finished, I turn my attention to other areas of the fort.

I noticed that the workers who have been cleaning refuse stone out of our main level have been spending a very long time moving stone from one area - that area, of course, would be the old dump site.  It was taking them a very long time to move a large amount of stone all the way to the trash compactor thirty-three steps away, so I've commissioned another compactor right next to the old dump site, where there's still plenty of stone to be moved, and then crushed what was presently in the main compactor.  Again, crushing the stone did not seem to have an impact on our Footsteps Per Second.

We have three-hundred and thirty-six meat, ninety-six fish, and... one-thousand seven-hundred and thirty-six plants!!  Most of this, I think, are wheat products for our cooking industry.  We've been creating many barrels, so I set the millstones to repeated milling and the farms to repeated plant processing.  Drinks are currently at three-hundred and sixty-five, a pretty good amount, but I set two stills to brewing anyway, and the rest to essence extraction.

Reg appears to have an insatiable appetite for gold, so we start some exploratory mining in an area with both gabbro and basalt layers to dig it up.  Great, more stone that will have to be moved to the dump... oh, and as we start this, Inod asks for a black bronze item, too.  Lots of demands, but they're easily kept up with... for now.

I had asked for thirty iron bins, and due to some sort clerical error this was misinterpreted to thirty iron cabinets!  Well, at least our blacksmiths got some extra experience from this... I set the offending cabinets to be melted down.  I think briefly of letting the workers benefit from this, but there's no way they could fit a cabinet in their tiny 1x2 bedrooms.  There doesn't appear to be a need to create a new, bigger residency hall anyway.  I think smoothing the walls alone has done a great deal for happiness; just wait until we engrave their walls with images of me founding the fort and of Asob Sefollibash the Miner engulfed in the flames of the magma vent he fell into!  They'll all be ecstatic in no time.

This also has the advantage of delaying Asob Momuzzokun's attempts at peeking beyond the adamantine deposits - with so much area to smooth above, nobody has time to smooth and poke holes in the walls below.  Asob assures me she knows what she's doing, and has gone on to carve some new tunnels leading toward the adamantine from the magma chambers for the forges and the underground river.  What's she planning, anyway?

"Oh, you'll see!  It's a surprise."

"Gah!!  Asob!  How long have you been standing there?"  Sure enough, there she is, right behind me, presumably reading over my shoulder.

"Not long, actually... No, I didn't come just to read over your shoulder.  I actually needed to tell you about my amazing management skills!  I think you'll be proud."

I cross my arms, and notice bemusedly that this has become something of a habit for me.  "Like how you've been digging adamantine without telling me?"

"Digging, extracting, and smelting!  But actually, it's about that magma tunnel.  See, I made a little mistake, but I fixed it."

"You made a mistake involving magma?  Oh... great.  What is it?"

"Weeell, you see, I want to draw magma from the tunnel we've been using for our forges without removing magma from them.  So I dug a pit and set it as a pond, hoping that a little bit of water would create some obsidian and seal in the forge magma--"

"You thought one bucket would be enough to do that?  Ha..."

"No, that's why I tried several buckets!  But unfortunately, all that did was dry up a little bit of magma, and so it all started rolling around beneath the forges in strange patterns.  I thought this might slow down your Feetwaddles Per Second thingy--"

"Footsteps, and yeah, it probably would.  So, what did you do about it?"

"I asked Quietust to pull the lever that controls the pump stack to the forges and smelters."

I feel I must omit part of our conversation, as the next words out of my mouth were so vile that I dare not commit them to history.  "How could you be so careless!  So, let me guess; magma came spewing out of the forges, burning all of our metalworkers and so forth?"

"No, actually, it welled up in the hole I dug for the well.  She pulled the lever again in time to stop it from causing too much damage, and then we got a green glass portal in the hallway just before the magma reached the forges."

"And this is what you came to brag about??"

"Well, yeah!  Nobody died, and we got the door up in time to prevent disaster!"

"You should have put up that door before pulling the lever!  You should have put doors all around the forges before letting something like this happen!"

"Oh, relax, Zon.  Everybody is safe.  The only problem is a few melted stones which we'll be able to dump once the magma evaporates, which should happen pretty soon."

*CRUNCH*

"...What... was that?"

Moments later, Asob and I were running full pace towards the mixed screams and laughter of 'Rick' the Undertaker.

"'Rick!'  What happened here??  What was that sickening crunch?"

"Bomrek Kilrudmelbil has killed himself!  Right before my eyes, I have witnessed death!  Hahhahahahahaaaahhhaahah...."

"He's going mad!  Run!!"

"Relax, both of you!  'Rick,' you're fine.  Stop laughing like that.  Just tell us what happened!"

"Well, as you can see, the old dump area is completely clear of debris.  Just as I was placing a stone from elsewhere under the bridge, I noticed Bomrek decided to pull the lever while I was standing beneath it!  I took it upon myself to Recruit myself, and station myself a few steps away so that I could drop what I was doing and get out of the way."

"Clever... but then what?"

"Well, Bomrek immediately ran around and then under the bridge before it closed on his head!  There wasn't a single unforbidden item, and he wasn't carrying anything to the dump, and the area has been Restricted for quite some time like you ordered... he had absolutely no business or reason to walk under the bridge!  He just walked under it and stood there until it crushed him!  It was..."

"Horrifying?"  Asob guessed.

"Exhilerating!  This is exactly why I've become an Undertaker!  Dwarves are so eager to get into one of my masterpiece coffins that they willingly take their own lives in my presence!  A testament to my craft..."

"You're right, Asob; He's gone mad.  But not mad enough to shackle him... yet.  Get back to work, 'Rick.'  I need to check on the relatives of Bomrek.  What an odd happenstance..."

"Maybe it was some kind of accident?  I think Bomrek was a mechanic... maybe he thought the bridge was stuck and stepped under it to check on the mechanisms?"

"Whatever the case, there's no longer any need for this death device.  Destroy it now."

As ordered, the auxiliary trash compactor is deconstructed to prevent further mishap.  The main one is still fine, since it can be locked up tight before use.  This one's going to bug me all day...

((Map)) But hey, at least my floor's clean!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:35:22 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 07, 2010, 08:48:05 pm »

A pox upon ye if you correct me on grammatical errors before 9 PM!  I'm proofreading now.
Do it.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 54