Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130311 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2009, 05:28:41 pm »

Oh Armok. StopTheMinersSTOPTHEMINERS!!!!!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2009, 07:43:50 pm »

Ah well.. That's one consort that won't show up.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2009, 08:14:05 pm »

4th Hematite, 204, Early Summer (by Asob Mommuzzokun)
-------------

Mining in the area of the adamantine was immediately suspended.  We aren't ready to face whatever lurks within.  Instead, I turn our attention to the magma pipe

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We broke through the top of the magma pipe, which is... well... better than breaking through the middle or the bottom!  I set a lot of mining orders in anticipation of two major magma projects - an obsidian farm, and channels for some magma smelters and forges.  It will be a while before we're able to make use of these since the pipe is so far from the main fortress...

The humans arrived, and along with them the usual kobold thieves.  The first had its left upper leg torn off by a stray dog.

More migrants arrived, bringing our population up to 76.  The baron will arrive very soon, but the death trap is still incomplete!  I think I've overextended our workers... hopefully the new migrants will be able to help finish the trap.

Thurtig Gúradil, Furnace Operator, was taken by a mood and claimed a Craftsdwarf's shop.

Archibold the flaildwarf comes storming into the fortress.  Ecstaticly, she starts yelling.

"Ho!  Isn't there a dwarf here strong enough to take me on?  You fall before me like goblins!  I pity you!"

I frown, somewhat worried at this.  I take a peek at the barracks and am horrified by what I see!

Urist Bardummon, a new arrival and already an experienced swordsdwarf, lies in the yard with a broken left lower leg and a bruised left knee.  In similar condition is Datan Kûbukidok, a newly appointed guard with a right knee and right lower leg.

The quarters aren't looking much better... Aside from Zon, Legon, and Dôban the Ranger who was injured by a wolf, there are three others injured.  Both of our brand new speardwarves and another guard, all with broken legs.

Immediately, it becomes clear how this happened.  Archibold snatched up an (≡«-Iron flail-»≡) from the human caravan and immediately put it to work on our military.

"Archibold!  You're responsible for this?"

"Nay, they're responsible!  They should be stronger fighters to stand up to me!"

"You've disabled half the military!  What if we're attacked by goblins?"

"I'll take 'em all myself!"

"Fine, Archibold, have it your way... Go stand patrol outside so the others can train without having their legs smashed!"

"Aye, if any goblins dare come near, I'll chase 'em out first!  C'mere, you little green rodents!!"

I shake my head as Archibold runs outside to her new post.  With so many big projects going on at once, we can't afford this many injuries... What do I do, Zon?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 01:23:11 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 02:04:09 pm »

1st Limestone, 204, Early Autumn (by Asob Mommuzzokun)
-------------

One of the weavers became quite bold while collecting silk last week.   Udib Uristnakuth was attacked by two batmen in the bottomless pit, and he jumped off the edge to attack one of them!  Fortunately, he landed on a ledge just one level below, strangled one to death, and broke the ankle of another before it flew away.  He suffered a broken left lower leg and lower body, but surprisingly he healed both injuries at the turn of the season!  That's the fastest I've ever seen broken bones heal...

Zon looks healthier!  Zon now only has a broken right lower leg.  I'm afraid I can't say the same for Legon... I don't think her lower spine will ever heal.  What should I do?

Meanwhile, we did some trading with the dwarven caravan.  They really wanted toys this year, so we made lots!  This one in particular, normally only worth 310 dwarfbucks, sold for 1,677!

See, Zon?  You're engraved on it!  You're famous now!  Your image is engraved all over the walls here, too, even in your own room.  Haven't you noticed?  I don't understand why you write about feeling like you haven't made an impact on the world.

I finally take a break to meet with Bujit, the human guild representative with the funny name.  My, are we really that busy around here?  He must have been following me around for months, and I never noticed!!  Kinda creepy, so I decided to hide from him by sticking myself between a pump, a wall and a pond where he couldn't reach me.  While I was there, I decided to operate the pump.

Now, we should have some muddy land to build an outdoor farm on!  Just as well, we have an incredible amount of seeds for outdoor farms.

Eventually, I had to get myself out of there because I could clearly hear Archibold as she was pacing around in front of the fortress, shouting out her kills.

While impressive, it got pretty old after the fourth time through the list.

Endok Dakostang claimed a Mason's workshop and created Stòkïdmasos, 'Impaledtalk,' a pretty basic Native Copper statue.

It's... well, what can I say, not all art is very good, but I commend Endok for his efforts nonetheless.  It should hopefully make a noble very happy!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 12:48:48 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 02:05:19 pm »

yay archi :D
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2009, 05:06:18 pm »

Ha, that damn flaildwarf... I think that you should retaliate against the humans.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2009, 05:18:11 pm »

15th Moonstone, 204, Early Winter (by Asob Mommuzzokun)
-------------

Bujit is still following me.  Now I understand how you feel about Unib... Can't he see I'm busy?

"Miss, if you please, we must finish these documents!"

"Can't it wait?  We're clearly in the middle of a very long magma project.  I need to help the miners, and... what's that?

Another ambush, but... this one's different!  ((DFMA 1)) ((DFMA 2)) ((Movie)) Is that a human I see??

"Bujit!  What's going on?  Why are humans attacking?"

"Don't look at me!  They aren't from Pesor Siti, 'The Confederacies of Targeting!'  Never would we ally with the goblins!"

"Then who would?!"

"There are two other human civilizations nearby - Dur Boki, 'The Empires of Rasping,' and Acobahal, 'The Coastal Kingdoms.'  I suppose these humans could have originated from either, but ultimately these humans have been assimilated by the goblins of Smosmzulakm 'The Released Sins.'"

"...Y'know, you don't have to re-translate dwarven into human for me.  I'm a freaking dwarf."

"I know, it's just a habit."  Bujit makes a plaintive gesture.  "I wonder what's brought the attention of so many ambushes?  What would cause humans to ally with goblins?"

What, indeed, I think to myself as I reflect upon the vein of adamantine I discovered earlier.  I keep my mouth shut for fear of letting on about it.

Archibold finally wakes up from her nap and comes running outside.  "Challengers!  I hear challengers!"

"Too late," I grit my teeth.  "They're already dead, and they took Erush Melbilbab Anurbekar Zas, Reg Fashdumat, and Thob Nilgim with them.  If you'd have gotten here earlier, you could have saved them!"

"Or, you could have pulled them back and waited for me to wake up!  Ever think of that?"

"Invader's don't wait!  If you want invaders to fight, then why don't I let you fight the caged ones?"

"Good!  You very well should!  Bring them to the yard post haste, me and the militia will take care of 'em!"

How arrogant!  "You'll have your way, then, Archibold.  Bring all the prisoners to the training yard, and link their cages to a lever!  Block the room with doors so that no one can get in or out during this exercise."

Many cheers from the dwarves.  I blush.  Again, I don't know what's come over me!  When pressed, it's as if somebody else takes over, and my shyness disappears.  Actually, I feel as if I've become less shy over time, perhaps from taking command of the fortress.

Meanwhile, another thief shows up, but escapes.

Um... Excuse me, but that thief looks completely cornered here.  How in the world did it get by?

While we're waiting for the cages to be set and linked, the miners set about widening many of the commonly used paths and digging out some new routes to cut down on travel time.  The lower levels are starting to look like a complicated maze.  How exciting!

By the 23rd of Obsidian, the prisoners' cages are all set.  The militia is lined up in the training yard, marksdwarves standing by overhead.

"Alright, you lot," Archibold yells.  "The best way to know your foe is to tear them apart and look at 'em from the inside!  Are you ready?!"

Archibold gives the signal.  ((DFMA)) ((Movie)) I nod to Sigun the fisherdwarf, and she pulls the lever.

I receive word that the our magma projects are ready to begin as soon as we tap the pipe!  ((Map)) Just in time for Spring!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 11:33:05 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2009, 06:59:42 pm »

Argh, dern spine!  That kind of stinks.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2009, 07:41:43 pm »

I'd like to request a military dwarf, when you have one available. I'd prefer a hammer, though a mace would do.

Name: Grendus
History:
Not the usual immigrant, actually an exile. Despises nobles (particularly the hammerer and tax collector) with a passion. Though he won't say, rumor has it that the dent in his head (which isn't brain damage, a deformation of the muscle over his right eye) was caused by fight with the hammerer. The hammer killed his wife after she delivered a single amulet forbidden by a mandate from the tax collector to the trade depot. In a berserk rage, he attacked the hammerer, who broke his head, but he managed to break the hammerer's arms and killed him/her with his/her own hammer. He managed to join an immigrant party before the hammerer's corpse was found, convincing them he was a guard.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2009, 09:16:06 pm »

You are aware that surface soil doesn't need to be muddy for farming, right? Only underground stone requires mud, and underground soil only needs mud if you intend to fertilize it with potash (aboveground soil accepts fertilizer even when dry).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:44:05 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:35 pm »

5th Granite, 205, Early Spring (by Asob Mommuzzokun)
-------------

No change in Zon's condition... Hopefully she gets well soon!

I cancelled the tapping of the magma pipe just in time as I realized an oversight.  We need to install fortifications to block out nasty fire imps!  How awful that would have been if we'd have tapped it without those...

An artifact rope was created!  Um... good work?  Oh, who am I kidding... If only more dwarves around here were followers of Asën, and knew the true meaning of art.  I wonder if the hatches on this image are representative of the many hatches that were created as part of the obsidian farm?  We scrapped that part because hooking up 16 hatches to a lever would have been simply overkill and unnecessary, so we have all these spare hatches lying around... I wonder if this was created to call attention to my folley?  Come to think of it, "Doctrinespurns" itself sounds like a somewhat anarchistic title.  Oh... oh my, what to do?  Do the others hate me?  Do they plot behind my back?

Um... OK, calm down Asob.  Remember, if anyone gives you trouble, you can just make them pull the lever.

With a little direction, we're able to fit the Fortifications without getting anyone stuck.  I thought about installing a pump to get the magma over to its final destination more quickly, but in the end decided against it.  There would be too much reconstruction involved to get that working, and we don't want to risk pushing the magma up through the forges!  Everything looks to be in order, so I give the orders to channel away.

The elves came again... nothing but wood and cloth.  Fortunately for them, we're actually really short on wood at the moment because everyone was busy dragging dolomite out of the magma duct, including the wood cutters.  That stuff is too valuable to let it just get melted like that!

Unbelievable... their entire caravan is worth 501 dwarfbucks.  Can you believe it?  I successfully trade for their entire load with a single (narrow giant cave spider silk sock).  Pathetic.  Enjoy your one sock, you thong-toting elves... What's wrong?  Your other foot cold?  Well, maybe you should have brought along another cougar to breed with the one we bought from you last year!

Speaking of exotic animals, we still haven't caught a second Giant Eagle to breed with the first.  I decide to have a word with the dungeon master.

I find Kikrost in the kennels where the Giant Eagle is caged.  I can't believe my eyes... she's somehow managed to teach the Giant Eagle to hold a mug and drink dwarven beer!

"Er... I hope I'm not interrupting anything?"

Kikrost and the Giant Eagle both turn to look at me.  "Oh, Asob!  We were just talking about you!  Have a seat."

Meep.  "It was talking about me?  Ohmygodwhatdiditsaydoesithatemeisitgoingtoeatme?!?!"

"Hey!  I don't need this kind of excitement in my life, so calm down!  No, she's not going to eat you."

"Ah... she?  That's good, that's actually what I came to ask you about."

Kikrost raised an eyebrow at me.  She clucked at the Giant Eagle, who ruffled her feathers at me.  "Nope, sorry, 'fraid she's only into other eagles.  And male ones."

"What?!  Ohmygodnothat'snotwhatImeantatall!!"

"Gah!  You almost made me spill my beer!  This is entirely too much excitement in my life right now!"

Ok, Asob... where's that latent reserve of courage when you need it?  Time to get a handle on this situation.  "Kikrost, what do you think are the chances of catching another male for this one?  We'd definitely like to have a clutch of these to keep around the fort."

Kikrost stroked her beard.  "Well, how did you catch this one?  Didn't you use bait or something?"

"Well... actually, we did leave baited traps to catch a giant bat, but we never did catch one.  This eagle, on the other hand, actually found itself in one of our groundhog traps by chance."

Kikrost clucked at the eagle again.  This time, it reared its claws and squawked at me.

"Meep."

"Beg your pardon?"

"Oh!  Sorry, that meep was meant to be kept internal.  Pay it no mind."

Kikrost sipped at her beer.  The Giant Eagle clucked away, and Kikrost seemed to be listening.  "Uh huh... you don't say?... yes, I hear you."

"Um... what's it saying?"

"She says she wouldn't mind nesting with another wild eagle.  It need not be tame.  Her chicks would then be tame, and we could start a breeding program?"

"Hmm... that sounds risky, though, don't you think?  What if something attacks her while she's out?"

Kikrost laughed.  "Oh, Asob, don't you know anything about reproduction?  ((Wiki link))Creatures breed through spores!  All we need to do is chain her up somewhere deep within the fortress where her and her chicks will be safe, and as soon as a male flies overhead she'll get pregnant.  In fact, we've probably already missed a few opportunities by leaving her in this cage!"

"I had no idea it was that easy!  Well then, we'll set to work building a roost for her right away!"

"Might I suggest you line it with statues?  A Giant Eagle is no common prize, and you wouldn't want her to get angry or bored..."

I shudder, and immediately set the miners to work carving out a room specifically for the nursing of Giant Eagle chicks.  The miners have been looking for things to mine since the magma project ended, anyway.

And where else does one put an exotic animal but within the dungeon master's own quarters?  After all, they seem to get along fine, so they should make great room mates!  I decide to do the same with the cougar, too, and made the room into a sculpture garden for everyone to enjoy!  Other exotic pets we have will go here too.

Udib Uristnakuth surprised us all again in his quest for collecting silk webs.  A wolf attacked him, and he single-handedly wrestled it to the ground and killed it.  I think by this point, Udib is a competent enough wrestler that he can more or less handle himself against most predators.  Nice!

-------------
1st Felsite, Late Spring
-------------

More migrants!  This puts our population at 93!  And... huh.  No baron.  Curses... I guess I devoted too much dwarfpower to the magma project and didn't produce enough wealth.  Well... we'll devote our energies to production this year to get the first one.

"Excuse me," a very recognizable voice confronts me.  "Are you Zon Castleweakened?"

I turn and see a peasant... but a very peculiar looking peasant, at that!  "No, I'm sorry.  My name is Asob.  Zon is bedridden with a broken leg and I've taken over in her place.  Can I help you with something?"

"Not unless Zon has entrusted you with the details of her mission..." This last part was whispered sinisterly.

I take a closer look at the peasant before me, and... uh.......

"OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMY--"

"Pipe down, will ya?!  No one is supposed to know I'm here!"

"OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!!"

The king grumbled.  "I suppose I'll wait until you get this undue enthusiasm out of your system."

I took several deep breaths before I could address him.  "Your majesty!  What brings you here?"

"Well, Asob, to be quite frank, Mayor Obok advised to me that he didn't think Zon Castleweakened was cut out for this task.  One reason I've come is to supervise her in her mission - or you, whoever it is that's doing this.  Secondly, I've heard rumors that a certain precious metal was discovered under these hills."

My heart thumped in my chest.  "Oh... you mean..."

"What else could I mean?  Tell me, how much of it have you mined?"

"I... well... we... stopped mining it as soon as we found it...?"

"What?!  Why?  Have you any idea the worth of that stuff?!"

"I do!  But it's rumored to house monsters, and our military isn't well enough equipped to handle them..."

"Well, then you'd better get it equipped, and you'd better start mining it soon!  Now, show me to my chambers."

Though we hadn't set aside a room specifically for the King, we actually had two spare consorts' chambers in anticipation for the beginning of the project.  I assigned King Minkot to one of them and, as expected, it wasn't yet good enough for his tastes.  Looks like the challenge begins with getting Minkot's quarters up to specs...

Fortunately, we had two artifact statues on hand - Istbar Babin, 'The Rose of Friends' the basalt statue, and Stòkïdmasos, 'Impaledtalk,' that ghastly Native copper statue...

Each of these went into his dining room and throne room, respectively, and in his bedroom lies Azuzmozib Kebontishak, 'Somberswallows the Odorous Typhoon' the Galena bed - the bed that I crafted myself.

King Minkot's rooms easily shot up to Royal quality in no time, but I wish I could have said the same for his Royal Mausoleum...

Every stupid statue in the fortress wasn't enough, and then we threw in some masterwork armor stands and finally after four gem windows it was enough.  Oh, if only we'd trained the blacksmiths beforehand... we'd better start doing that now.

His demands burned through the entire stockpile of high-quality chests, cabinets, armor stands, weapon racks, statues, and artifacts that were going to be placed in the baron consorts' rooms to keep them happy.  It's almost like we're back at square one...

Dôbar Ushuloddom the Hunter was finally killed by Datannär the wolf, thus ending his animal killing spree just shy of the 60 mark.

Dôbar befriended animals like goblins befriend hygiene: with extreme prejudice.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:05:53 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2009, 10:52:43 pm »

You are aware that surface soil doesn't need to be muddy for farming, right? Only underground stone requires mud, and underground soil only needs mud if you intend to fertilize it with potash (aboveground soil accepts fertilizer even when dry).

Yes, but there were several tiles of Dolomite in that area - in fact, about 25% of that area was unusable after some excessive trampling by immigrants.  You can see two tiles of it in the SW corner of that screenshot.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 11:01:54 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2009, 11:38:23 pm »

Ah, right, forgot about that. Do carry on - I eagerly await the next chapter of this story.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2009, 09:26:34 pm »

6th Hematite, 205, Early Summer (by Asob Mommuzzokun)
-------------

I grumble mildly at the militia working outdoors.  It would seem assigning many wrestlers to the town guard was a good idea, because they're all training with the regular militia and turning them all into wrestlers.  I say this is good because their proficiency with the weapons they've been given is also rising, so Armok have mercy on any poor sod who disarms one of our military dwarves.

I assign a TON of craft and food orders to try and attract the attention of our first baron.  I feel like a giant cave spider, leading an ant man into my web...

The magma is flowing slowly toward the reservoirs.  I estimate they'll be ready by Autumn.  We might even be able to construct a few workshops by season's end, even if they wouldn't yet be operational.

I don't trust the humans after the incident last winter... So, I give orders to finish the defenses outside the gate that Zon started.  I'm not really sure what it was she was starting, actually... looks a bit disorganized to me.

"Asob."

I turn and see--

"Zon!!  Ohmygodyou'reawakeandyou'rewalkingthisisgreat!!!"  I leap forward and give Zon a great big hug.

"Yes, I've had a good sleep.  I would have figured the entire fortress would have killed themselves in a tantrum spiral by now, but from what I hear from Ast you've been doing a pretty good job."

I blush... and continue scribbling in Zon's journal while the conversation continues.  "Yes, um... we had some accidents at first, but--"

"No need to explain.  I've heard about the babies... but I've also heard about the magma, the certain blue rock that King Minkot won't stop bothering me about... Oh yeah, why in the world did you let him in here?"

"What?  You expected me to turn him away...?"

"You could, you know... have him pull the lever."

I give Zon a positively shocked expression.  "Wha... you were unconscious!  How, how, how did you find out--"

"I told you.  Minkot won't stop bothering me.  He keeps asking me what I'm going to do with you if the secret gets out."

I gulp.  "Um... oh... well... what did you tell him?"

"I told him we won't need to worry about that.  I trust you.  You were the only one who bothered to drag me to my bed after I laid injured near the pond for over a month.  Would've liked that a bit sooner, but, hey, better late than never, I guess?  And here we are, a year later, and nobody seems to know about the secret but you, me and the king."

I breathe a sigh of relief.  "Which, by the way, is done."

"Mm hmm.  I've already inspected it."  Zon began to pace-- immediately, I noticed a distinct hobble as she favored her left leg.  Oh, Zon... "It's very good.  You've clearly improved upon my design, but in thinking it over we might need to make a few more adjustments.  I guess we won't really know until we test it, right?"

"I don't think His Majesty has seen it, unless he's been doing some wandering."

"He hasn't.  Which is good, in case he gets to be a problem... anyway, I think you've been holding onto something of mine?"

I look down at the journal, my hand still furiously documenting this exchange as it takes place.  "Oh!  Um... right... you want it now, then...?"

"Right as soon as you finish that sentence, yes."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 01:12:30 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:24 pm »

I look down at the journal, my hand still furiously documenting this exchange as it takes place.

Ahaha. I lol'd.

Did you read the wiki article about Barons?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54