Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130400 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 2)
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:26 pm »

Really great job, very funny and entertaining. *insert more inadequate praise for the portrayal of dwarven antics*
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2010, 11:25:40 pm »

Ah, the dwarven 'loot-sense', a mighty and powerful ability of dwarfkind.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2010, 11:46:56 pm »

"Loot?" I believe you mean "SOOOOCKS!"
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2010, 12:04:56 am »

...Man, Zon really needs to spend some time with something OTHER than stone. She was getting to know it...so intimately. :o
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: February 18, 2010, 03:42:32 pm »

"LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!"

;D That was great. Keep up the good work!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 18, 2010, 06:33:05 pm »

"Loot?" I believe you mean "SOOOOCKS!"

Curses!  Opportunity missed.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 18, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »

Nice update, and good luck with the new relationship.  ;D

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 19, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

15th Slate, 210, Mid-Spring
-------------

Nineteen giant eagles, ten of which are now named.  This means we only lost four in that attack - good, because I counted four on the ground, so I suppose I only misplaced one corpse somewhere.  I'm so disenchanted with the wolves right now that I didn't even bother to count them.  Amusingly, both the wolf pup and the giant eagle chick survived!

Tekkud the collector is asking for three trifle pewter items.  Humm... this reminds me about the exploratory mining effort, so I designate more ground to be dug up in the lower levels.  Hey, one of the cats has adopted our comatose Captain of the Guard, 'Legon!'  That should make him happier, considering we gave away his room and his office years ago.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Funny, though... so far I've had better luck while digging out these new rooms for food and drink stockpiles!  We hit chunks of aluminum and orpiment in here, not to mention the iron of which we're in overabundance.

Speaking of overabundance... I'm appalled at the behavior of our dwarves at the first sign of dead bodies.  Everybody rushing out to pluck the clothing off of still warm goblin corpses.  The nerve!  All I got was this lousy (narrow cave swallowman leather hood)!  It dawns on me that we haven't cleaned in over ten years, and there are piles upon piles of narrow clothing that we'll never wear sitting in bins.  They'll never be sold because we're making out like bandits with our roast industry, and they wouldn't count toward our exported wealth anyway! 

So... why the heck are we keeping them around?  I decide it's time for a little spring cleaning and order all narrow metal items to be melted and all narrow and XXruinedXX clothing items to be dumped along with the rocks.  That should keep the dumpers busy - and besides, I know they need a change of pace.  What the heck are we doing with all these loincloths, anyway??  I can't believe the workers would even touch these, and there's got to be over a hundred in here!  -Hey, don't throw away the (narrow giant cave spider silk) stuff!  You should put that stuff in bins upstairs and start decorating them with jewels and silk to increase our wealth!  I did you a favor and un-designated anything made of giant cave spider silk or cave spider silk.  ~Asob.

As it turns out, we did lose a marksdwarf during the battle!  I didn't even know until I came across Tirist Unibiseth's corpse in our graveyard.  Ah, well... to the crypts with you!

We seem to have come across a bizarre strain of rose quartz in the mines... we first uncovered the north-westernmost cluster, and nobody warned me.  There was no announcement to report that it was found!  I reprimanded the miners, and they continued on their way... only to find another cluster of rose quartz, which was reported!  And then, shortly after, a third cluster was found, and this was not reported to me either!  Come to think of it, we found rose quartz in this area before... that's an awful lot of quartz for one area!

Spoiler: Commentary (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:40:48 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #548 on: February 19, 2010, 07:24:49 pm »

Regular cave spider silk stuff should be safe to dump, as it's no more valuable than cloth - only the giant cave spider silk stuff is really worth saving and decorating.

As for the lack of rose quartz notifications, I think it only notifies you about a particular material once per area block (48x48 tiles).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2010, 07:25:51 pm »

*eagerly awaits the next update*
To be partly feline,

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: February 19, 2010, 07:44:39 pm »

Mental Journal of Dermonster. (I've been sick for a while)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:26:03 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 27, 2010, 11:42:49 am »

18th Slate, 210, Mid-Spring
-------------

Here he comes... The preparations are in order.  There's a spare noble's room already carved and smoothed, the shower's full, the magma tower is awaiting its maiden incineration... I hope I haven't forgotten anything!

"A tomb."

"...What?"

It is the Wise Quietust to sneak up behind me while I'm writing this time.  "Every noble needs a tomb, and a good one at that.  At the moment, you have none.

"...Ugh!  You're right!  How could I have forgotten??  This won't do... his consort will be so unhappy!"

"Perhaps you should delay his killing, then, otherwise you might risk a tantrum from her."

"Yes, you're... wait.  The killing?"

Quietust tried in vain to hide a smile.  "I am a wise dwarf, Zon.  I hesitate to believe that even for a moment, you thought your game was hidden from me.  What other purpose would a pool of water set precariously over a bottomless pit have, especially one triggered by a lever directly beneath that pool behind a door that seals behind you when you pull it?"

My heart was racing.  I'd been found out!  She's right, though; I never should have expected a wise dwarf to be oblivious of my mission.  But what's her game?  Is she working for Unib?  Was she sent to spy on me?  Find out what I was up to, then report back to Unib?  Is a mob from the Swift Arches going to come and hammer me to death?

"Name it."

"Beg your pardon?"

"Your price.  Name it.  We have artifacts.  We have an adamantine buckler.  You don't look the fighting type, but sell that and you should want for nothing the rest of your life."

Quietust held her hands up and laughed.  "Ha, you are mistaken!  A wise dwarf already wants for nothing.  Material possessions are merely a distraction."

"Then what will it take to keep you quiet?  If the king were to find out about this--"

"--then he'd have your head and mine, both.  And probably Asob's.  Your king is a coward, this you surely know by now.  A coward will do what it takes to hide his truth from his enemies.  I have no personal interests other than curiosity, I assure you that.  I am fascinated by your case, Zon - what leads a dwarf to take on such a dangerous mission, one that challenges her very morals?  Surely there are many reasons, each specific to the dwarf committing the deed, but I should like to learn your reasons so that, with your permission, I may advise others in the future by your experience."

"But Minkot also wants fast results.  He simply won't allow me to keep Duke Rith here for any length of time."

"Stall.  Get the tomb built, and find a reason to slow things down."

With that, Quietust left... to help me stall!  As Duke Rith approaches the gate, Quietust intercepts him and engages in some farcical philosophy... I don't sit around trying to figure it out.  I have practical problems to solve before the King notices the Duke is here.

Our population is now 150.  We got an animal caretaker, a metalworker, two peasants, a macedwarf and a speardwarf, a child, and I'm honestly not sure what else - I'm in a hurry.  There are plenty of beds, not all of them are opened up for rent though, so I open a few.

I suspend the exploratory mining and designate room for a tomb.  I also relieve miners of all other duties to ensure this gets done first.

A slight modification is made to the magma tower to help with its debut.  By now, Quietust has invited Rith to her quarters and is still discussing some great new philosophy.  Minkot is getting impatient.

Four days later, the tomb is put together.  The walls still need smoothed, but it's enough.  I'm not wasting any more time... to Quietust's room to fetch the Duke.  When I arrive, they are still knee-deep in philosophy.

"...still can't believe I've never heard of this new god of yours!"  Rith was saying.  "Where is 'The Violet Ink,' anyway?"

"'The Violet Ink' is a dwarven culture far north of the ocean.  Though we have contact with them, they are far removed and often hear little of them."  Quietust looked up as I was standing impatiently in the doorway.  "Ah, and here she is!  This is Zon, the very dwarf I've been telling you about for four days."

I blinked.  "You've been talking about me for four days?"

Even more to my surprise, Duke Rith threw himself upon the ground and began kissing my feet.  "Oh!  I humble myself before you, Zon!  I seek your blessing!  Is there anything I can do for you, in the name of order, oath, laws, and loyalty?"

I raise an eyebrow at Quietust, who again fails to stifle a snicker.  "Um... Yes, actually, there is something.  Did you happen to see the tower with the wide branches on your way in?"

"Yes!  The Holy Tower!  You mean I may service it?"

"Better yet; I want you to commemorate its first use!"

"Oh!!  You hear that, Quietust?!  Zon wants me to personally see to the founding of his temple!"

"I'm sorry, 'he?'"

"Of course!  Forgive me, I should not have refered to you as a mortal!  Please, I still want to help your mighty cause!  Will you... will you make me your first sacrifice?"

I blink again.  Quietust, safely behind and out of view of Rith, nods her head vigourously.  "Um... Yes.  I think you shall be sacrificed, indeed.  For you I have a... holy quest!"

"A holy quest that will end in my sacrifice?  Thank you!!  What must I do?  Anything, I shall do it!"

"Venture inside the holy tower.  There is a lever there that I want you to pull.  Nothing will happen at first, but keep pulling it!  Over and over and over, you shall repeat pulling.  When you have pulled enough, you shall be sacrificed."

"I shall go at once!"  And off he went.

Spoiler: Commentary (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:42:24 am by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 27, 2010, 11:51:09 am »

Nice update. Like the humble duke. Are you still accepting requests for dwarfs?
To be partly feline,

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 27, 2010, 11:52:41 am »

Your Philosopher wouldn't happen to be a legendary liar or persuader, would she?

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 27, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »

She certainly seems to be a legendary judge of intent.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 54