Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130441 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 2)
« Reply #465 on: January 21, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »

Thanks!  ;D
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 21, 2010, 05:42:38 pm »

How many people are being given glassmaking as a proffession?  If you have a lot, then the work might be getting spread out too thinly for significant skill growth.  A small number of glass makers might help.

Also, one thing I like to do is come up with some glass-block-based megaproject and just go all-out on glass block production.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 21, 2010, 06:42:58 pm »

Yes. Massive piles of glass blocks and glass spires to the sky.

As unrealistic as it probably is, my personal DF goal is to have a 100% self-sustaining green glass block industry. It's harder than it looks, you have to perfectly balance the gathering speed of sand and the production of glass.

I find that it's best if you have a single magma glass furnace, and then several normal glass furnaces (anywhere in the fort, just make sure the MGF is near the sand collection.) The magma furnace is used for making blocks, and the others are usd for collecting sand. If you can balance the speeds, the only thing you have to look out for is seeing that the magma furnace doesn't get cluttered with blocks and bags, which is pretty simple if you don't have hundreds of bags, and you're semi-constantly designating buildings.

If you're wondering about balancing the speeds, I like to use one sand gatherer per skilled glassmaker, two sand gatherers per professional or so, and three or four in case of a Leg.+5 glassmaker.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17:59 pm »

im fairly certain that tomb is sort of a synonym for book.
Well you know what they say about assuming, right?

Someone asked me the other day, and I said "Yes, it makes an ass out of you."

"And me," she replied. So I said "Exactly!"

She never got it.
That is amazing.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #469 on: January 21, 2010, 07:37:07 pm »

I find that it's best if you have a single magma glass furnace, and then several normal glass furnaces (anywhere in the fort, just make sure the MGF is near the sand collection.) The magma furnace is used for making blocks, and the others are usd for collecting sand.

I tried that in my first real fort, and it really didn't work very well (to the point that I tore down all of the regular glass furnaces and replaced them with more of the magma variety) - if you have even a single normal glass furnace, then you can't use work orders to mass produce glass items since some of them will always go to the regular furnaces and waste fuel you could otherwise use for making steel (or generate tons of cancellation messages), requiring tons of extra micromanagement for glassmaking (otherwise you'll use up all of your empty bags, which is annoying if you're doing a lot of farming). Filling all of the normal furnaces with 10 tasks of "Gather Sand/R" doesn't work either, since all of the tasks simultaneously cancel once you run out of empty bags.

I typically end up building at least a dozen magma glass furnaces, keeping a large stockpile of prefilled sandbags (at least a hundred, preferably more), and just switching between work orders for glass items and work orders for sand collection; it takes a bit longer since glass production has to pause every so often to replenish sand, but it's a lot easier since the game gives you notifications when the work orders are completed so you can minimize idle time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:38:44 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:55 pm »

Loving the story here  :)
Just finished reading it all today. Completely distracted me from actually playing DF.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 21, 2010, 10:07:11 pm »

I believe I only have one glassmaker, but I'd have to inspect more closely to be sure.  I did just put in an order for 20 green glass doors for my dormitory expansion, so hopefully that raises his skill a bit.  Like I said, though, not really worth the effort at this point.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 21, 2010, 11:43:32 pm »

Quietust, I use a method somewhat opposite yours.

I set work orders to collect about ninety bags of sand, renew them every now and then while I clog my magma furnaces with whatever glass I need so as to avoid the smelters with power being used for sand collecting.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 24, 2010, 11:58:08 pm »

Update tomorrow.  Delay was caused by me staring at Doomshifter's bouncy avatar too much :D

Nah, actually, Real Life Fun happened for a while.  There seems to be a lot of that lately, hopefully it goes away so I can keep up with this!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 25, 2010, 01:45:14 am »

Update tomorrow.  Delay was caused by me staring at Doomshifter's bouncy avatar too much :D

Nah, actually, Real Life Fun happened for a while.  There seems to be a lot of that lately, hopefully it goes away so I can keep up with this!
I often get stuck staring at my bouncy avatar. Please don't be ashamed =3
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 25, 2010, 03:06:37 am »

I found this
Though I still don't know who drew it or where it's from.

Now back on topic.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 25, 2010, 05:26:30 am »

I found this
Though I still don't know who drew it or where it's from.

Now back on topic.
Why thank you~
I also have one sorta like my avatar, but staring at her butt =3
NOW back on topic.

EDIT: It's from the closing credits of Queen's Blade.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 09:02:52 am by Doomshifter »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 25, 2010, 08:10:16 am »

I usually have two glassmaking furnaces, with 4-6 more for collecting sand. Since I like to have eighty billion bags around for whatever purpose (I will request lots of leather from the caravan and use half of it to make bags :3), any time spent with the glassmakers not making anything for whatever reason is spent gathering enough sand that I won't have to worry about running out.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:26 am »

Frustratingly, even designating glass furnaces for demolition doesn't stop them from getting jobs. I marked my glass furnaces for deconstruction and sealed them behind locked doors and dozens of jobs never finished. However, I think that's caused by a bug. The glass furnaces were assigned jobs, but the jobs never looked for dwarves because the furnaces had a deconstruction order at top priority. If I had not marked them for demolition, the glassmakers would have eventually canceled the jobs and, over time, most would have been assigned to other furnaces.

Another option is to create 9 suspended collect sand jobs at the glass furnaces, then set job on repeat. Even when you run out of glass, because the 9 jobs are suspended I believe the game doesn't remove them. When you want to order glass via manager, add another job to the glass furnaces and suspend it as well.

Since I love clothesmaking, I have plenty of pig tails, hemp, and rope reed bags (all of which locally grown, I don't buy rope reed from the filthy hippies) to make into bags, clothing, and decorating goblin cloths and orc trophies. Between that and buying all the flour and sugar the caravans randomly bring, I end up with dozens to hundreds of bags in their own stockpile. Which is good, I use a lot between glass, dye, and growing multiple types of grain.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 25, 2010, 05:40:26 pm »

That's actually all interesting Grendus, but the amount of off-topic discussion here is out of hand again. I'm posting this so that KenboCalrissian doesn't have to stop you himself, like he did with me.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54