Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130439 times)

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #300 on: December 10, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

I love your story and your concept. When I saw the challenge, I wondered who would step up to it. After reading your entire story, I found myself fascinated that you turned a challenging concept into something quite enjoyable, and not a succession fort!

Could I claim a dwarf? :P My only requirements is that the personality includes Greatly appreciates art and natural beauty. or Can easily become absorbed in art and the beauty of the natural world. and make him/her an engraver. Elizar if male, Eliz if female.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #301 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:53 pm »

Now that you have me thinking of it again, I may forge a silver war hammer, forbid the Hammerer's hammer and all other hammers in the fort, and force her to pick up the silver one.

That may get tricky, since the Hammerer doesn't seem to seek out a war hammer when not currently wielding one - you might have to wait until someone is actually sentenced to receive hammerstrikes before the Hammerer will attempt to fetch a new weapon, or you may just end up with a Hammerer that forever dispenses justice using fists.

Also, do not underestimate how much damage a steel war hammer can do in the hands of a Great Hammerdwarf - even in full armor, 5 hammerstrikes can still deal serious damage, as seen here.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 10, 2009, 10:03:45 pm »

[edit] Out of curiosity, what do you plan to do when a Consort issues an impossible mandate (crystal glass, or perhaps exotic animal leather items) and Zon gets sentenced to be hammered? With the number of Consorts you intend to collect, it's not a question of if, but when...

That's already taken care of.  Zon is Superdwarvenly Tough as a result of being in combat several times and counting inventory.  The pump room is essential for working my dwarves up in toughness so they can survive the hammerblows.  Asob, her backup, is up to Extremely Tough now, so she could use little more time exercising.  The pump room still only has two pumps because I don't want to delay production any more than necessary, but I'll install more later.

Now that you have me thinking of it again, I may forge a silver war hammer, forbid the Hammerer's hammer and all other hammers in the fort, and force her to pick up the silver one.  Better yet, I'll probably take a wooden hammer from the elves - same damage output, but it's more fun to think of the hammerer running around the fort with a wooden paddle.

Hate to burst your bubble, but elves don't use hammers. They bring bows, swords, and spears, but no hammers. And I don't think the hammerer will pick up a new hammer if you get rid of his/her old one. Just make sure to get rid of the steel warhammer, that thing can easily kill. You could also arrange for the hammere to have an "accident" - non lethal, but crippling. Or you could seal the hammerer in one of the panic rooms. He'll be able to live in there for years...

BTW: love the skull behind the glass. Brilliant.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 12, 2009, 12:07:22 am »

23rd Timber, 207, Late Autumn
-------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vabôk Dodókibel, former planter and now legendary woodcrafter, met with humiliation today as a fey mood wiled him to create this thing.  What a disgusting, cheap--

"Zooooon!~"  I heard in a singsong voice.

Oh, great.  "Yes, Mayor Asob, what would your royal majesty like this time?"

Asob skipped over to peek at my diary.  "Oh, no Zon!  You've missed so much detail!  You can't just make such a brief, passing mention of one of the chronicles of our history!"

"You actually like that dried out chunk of wood?"

"No, it's hideous.  But that doesn't stop it from being an important part of our culture!  Haven't we accomplished quite a bit since your last writing?"

"Not really... I mean, there's a lot of stuff under construction, but I normally don't write about that until it's done.  Besides, I thought you were concerned about me writing too much, and now you want me to write more?

"I demand that you write more!"  Asob did a little bounce, as if happy with herself.

"Seriously, Asob, what is it with you and these demands all of a sudden?  You're getting to sound like a noble!"

"I'm a mayor!  That makes me a noble, right?  You got my note I left on your table, right?"

"Yes.  I crumpled it."

"Crumpled it?  It was written in stone!

"I'm mighty, what do you want?  A physics lesson?  Anyway, hope you're happy with tin bars.  Cassiterite isn't easy to come by around here; so far we've only come across two veins, so you're just going to have to live with tin bars.  You're lucky we have that."

"Well, just wait until we get demands for things we don't have, like crystal glass!  What'll we do then?"

"I don't know... King Minkot's orders are to keep the consorts alive, so we're going to have the take the hammer blows and hope they aren't fatal... maybe we can fool Sibrek out of her steel, or lock her in one of the bunkers until the consort forgets.  You were just joking about that diary mandate, right?"

"No, no, no!  You need to write about what we've been doing this season!  Your last update was so brief, I hardly thought it was worth taking the time for it!"

"You've been reading my diary??"

"It was sitting on your +Basalt throne,+ I didn't think you'd mind!"

"Who gave you permission to just come in and start messing with my stuff?"

"King Minkot, of course."

"Of course.... fine, I'll show you what we're working on, even if it's not complete.  Since you demanded so nicely..."

We're aggressively searching for that underground river now on level -2.  When we reached the brook, I decided that we need to wall off the exit points before proceeding into the next hill to keep siegers from getting in.  This provides the added bonus of giving us safe fishing spots in case we're ever trapped underground for a long period of time.

The giant eagle roost is getting impractical to build and it just feels unreliable to me, so I'm trying a different approach.  Now, we're building a box out of kimberlite that will house caged wolves, giant eagles, and whatever other vicious animals we can find.  When the goblins come to our door, we'll pull a lever to open their cage and the floodgate, releasing dangerous critters all over the battlefield.

This is a variation of a wolf trap created by a friend from Cometnet, a fort from another continent.  In her version, the wolves were kept underground and protected by a lever-controlled hatch, and the cages could be fed through underground passages.  Personally, I prefer having only one entrance to the fort, and I've held firm to this rule since the beginning.  I might be tempted to break it, however, with the next construction.

We've channeled out many of the access ramps south of our entrance, and we're building a wall at the edge to prevent archers from firing down onto our troops.  The siege this season revealed a very dangerous threat to our fortress by giving the enemy archers this huge advantage, so we need to take that advantage away from them. 

This wall might eventually be used as part of a walkway between the two guard towers, but this presents two problems to me.  Number one is that this would connect another entrance to the fort to the outside world, one that leads directly into our food and booze stockpiles.  The other, which I find more serious, is that the overhanging area would create a shaded zone that the workers might think is 'inside,' so when I give the orders to stay inside some might take shelter in the little strip of grass beneath the walkway.  It would be very nice, however, to not only connect the two crossbowdwarf towers, but line the inside with fortifications to allow crossbowdwarves to fire in on attackers from more angles.

The bunkers are more or less complete.  We even have a well in each one!  The only thing left is to link the lever to the bridge in the southern room, and to get some picks into the bridge pits.  There seems to be too much work to do for the time being, and nobody is moving those picks down there where I need them!  After all, we're still cleaning up from the mess left from two huge sieges in a row.

Finally, Vabôk Dodókibel decided to horn in on the fame of 'The Deified Furnace' the adamantine buckler by putting two images of it on this stupid piccolo.  There's been no end to the ridicule from the other workers about it, and I don't blame them - and for once, Asob and I are in agreement over a piece of art!

"Nicely written!  Now, we need two more tin items, please."

"What?!  I've fulfilled that order for you three times already!"

"Zon, we can never have enough tin."

"Tin is practically worthless!  How much of it do you want?!"

"Well, we don't have a prison yet.  You should make some tin cages--"

"No, I won't!  We have eleven unused cages in this fort already; we do not need more!  And for that matter, we certainly don't need a prison!"

"But Zon, the consorts will get upset if their justice can't be carried out!"

"I... but... we haven't had a single imprisonment yet!"

"Because there's nowhere to put them, of course!"

"And I'm not about to change that if we don't need to!  We'll worry about it later.  There are more important things now, and their absence isn't bothering anybody yet."

"Well, ok, just make me some bars then."

"Ugh... if you insist."

((Elizar, none of my engravers appreciate art at all... how about that?  You're in luck though, the most recently appointed champion greatly appreciates art and beauty!  I'll formally introduce him at the start of the next siege.  Let me know if you want something else.))
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:16:13 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 12, 2009, 04:56:54 am »

You know that "Stay Inside" actually makes dwarves stay on Subterranean tiles, not Inside tiles, right?

And I greatly enjoyed your update of the story. The little touches like the skull behind the glass and the dialogue over the tin are really entertaining.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

elizar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 12, 2009, 05:52:00 am »

Go with the champion. ;) Even if he does get "Doesn't care about anything" trait, he'll probably still find ways to turn goblins into art pieces.
A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 12, 2009, 10:20:36 am »

You know that "Stay Inside" actually makes dwarves stay on Subterranean tiles, not Inside tiles, right?

No, and I don't think that's correct.  I've had lots of problems in the past with overhanging tiles that were dwarf-built.  I had half of a small castle built entirely outdoors, and whenever I'd give the orders to stay inside, not only would dwarves be content to hide inside the building, but some were content to hide under overhanging walkways between towers exactly as described here - in fact, once they reached one of these squares, they would remain there, because there's no way to path to the keep proper without going back inside - and why should they?  Their orders are stay inside, and that's where they think they are.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #307 on: December 12, 2009, 12:46:32 pm »

Any odd behavior you observed with the "Stay Inside" order may have been specific to your fortress's layout. In 40d, ordering dwarves to Stay Inside simply makes them cancel their current task if they are not in a Subterranean area - if your fortress is entirely above-ground, even with roofs, then ordering them indoors will make every single dwarf instantly freeze in its tracks and do nothing at all unless you have a Subterranean meeting area, in which case they should tend to head in that direction.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »

Exactly. Dwarves head for a subterranean meeting area, so if you don't have one they just stop. All Stay Inside does is deactivate non-subterranean meeting areas and stop assignment of most non-subterranean jobs. The important thing to remember with Stay Inside is that it is almost copy-pasted from the 2d version, which is why it doesn't apply to "Inside" areas, digging/engraving jobs, and a few other things that were in the old version but could only be done in dug out areas. You'll need to disable Mining/Stone Detailing on dwarves if you have any such jobs outside (or they'll continuously walk out, realize they can't get there legally and cancel the job, walk in, walk out, walk in....)

I don't know why, but Woodcutting can be problematic as well. Not sure about Plant Gathering.

Once I figured that much out, it was easier to keep track of.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 14, 2009, 09:10:30 pm »

3rd Moonstone, 207, Early Winter
-------------

Friends can be a wonderful thing.  They're always there for you, they joke with you and cheer you up, and they make frequent demands for tin.  Ah, tin... only base rocks are worth less than you, and yet the ore we need to make you is oh so hard to find.  Allow me to list all of the things I would love to make with tin:

""

That was a hard list!  I almost couldn't fit everything on it.  Doubtless my partner in crime will snoop into my room and read this, casually believing that what's mine is hers.  What a spiritful, carefree personality she has.  And confident, too, believing that she can do whatever she wants around the fortress without a care in the world!  Ah, if only I'd have thought ahead and made the hatches that are connected to the lever out of tin...

Also, Inod wants a black bronze chest in her room, along with two other black bronze items.  Well, the chest can count for one.  What's she going to put inside it; her ego??

Not counting the cage that caught the giant eagle, this has been the single most successful trap in the history of this fortress.  In Autumn alone we caught five wolves with this one trap!  I placed it here years ago because I noticed mountain goats roaming through the area, but in autumn there was a pack of wolves that was content to roam around the area and we caught every single one.  Whenever a wolf was caught, I would first send a few of the militia to chase the wolves away, stationing them around the trap but not pursuing.  The wolves would move aside, making it safe for one dwarf to haul the cage away next to the kennels where I assigned, and for another to reload the trap.  As soon as that was done I'd relieve the guards, and invariably the remaining wolves would move right back into the area and soon we'd catch another.  Rinse, repeat, reload.

No sooner do we have her black bronze items constructed than does Inod mandate another pair of black bronze items.  Really!  What gives?  Forget it, we're just making her a couple of bars.  I've decided that this is appropriate, considering the eventual lack of materials we'll soon face.

The one good thing I can say about early winter is that on the 15th, we struck Carnelian, which of course is my favorite color.  We're doing lots of digging, and still no sign of that river!  I really have no clue where it might be, but I would have expected to find it by now.  The one place we haven't searched extensively is under the western hills... what an inconvenience that would be!  It's bad enough the brook is way over there, what good would a river do if it was in the same place?

We did hit a vein of native copper underground, which is great.  So far, we've been getting all of our copper from above-ground veins that were visible upon embark, which tends to be slightly dangerous.  The giant bat from our days of yore still haunt my dreams... not so much the bat, but rather the dwarves it killed as they tried to immigrate here.  They never stood a chance...

Speaking of not standing a chance, we're not likely to get any more immigrants at this rate.  We're still considered a death trap, which is technically true, but not for commoners!  Well... except for last autumn.  That was our worst year yet.

King Minkot organized a party at a green glass statue.  Surprisingly, this is the first time in a very long time that anybody's scheduled a party!  The king doesn't do this very often, which from what I've come to understand is extremely unlikely of nobility.  I might poke my head in for a spell, or I might not... I'm not sure how I feel about it right now.

We've finally breached the Western hills, and almost immediately Asob reported great success.  We found green zircon, a semi-precious gem seen commonly around here but not lately, followed immediately by native aluminum!  Time will tell what other treasures lie in wait here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 06:30:33 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 14, 2009, 09:22:55 pm »

20th Opal, 207, Mid-Winter
-------------

ACK!!!  Nooo, get away get away get away!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:28:54 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #311 on: December 14, 2009, 11:55:45 pm »

If the Philosopher arrives before you find the underground river, I could have him point out exactly where the underground river is by showing Zon an "improved" map acquired from Obok (i.e. one with [SHOW_EMBARK_*:ALWAYS] configured).

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 15, 2009, 08:50:40 pm »

Nah, I prefer the searching, hence the reason I left it off in the first place ;)  I'm not too worried if my underground looks like a mess; the search is helping me to pass the time while I wait for the next baron, who is going to wind up at least 3 years late.
Do it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 15, 2009, 09:01:47 pm »

Three years?? Ouch, that's painful just to read. Did you decide to disable invaders?
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 15, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »

Three years?? Ouch, that's painful just to read. Did you decide to disable invaders?
At least roughly two of those years have already passed though, fortunately.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 54