Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130425 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 1)
« Reply #255 on: December 01, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »

Oh hells yea. Curbstomp ftw!

So I take it a little short journal in between updates from Archibold to keep the flow going wouldn't really be desirable. In that case I'll stick to reading. I wasn't planning on adding to or modifying the plot, just some humorous private thoughts of your most favorite homicidal maniac. If you do want to open the floor for that at some point, I could spoiler them and note that they aren't cannon each time, but I really don't want to go into creating a separate thread.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:24 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nomal Ibelurist reports a rare gem cluster containing both lapis lazuli and red flash opal!  Now that's interesting... I've never seen two gems so close together before!  I wonder if this is a sign from Logem, the god of minerals and jewels...
dunno if you've seen this before or if you're just acting in character, but:

A lot of my acting in character is drawn from my own experience, so yes, that really was the first time I had seen two gem clusters together.  Seeing three is even better!  What gems are those?
indigo tourmaline, cat's eye, and heliodor.

so yeah, not *especially* valuable ones, but definitely better than average (Cat's Eye and Heliodor are 20x and the Tourmaline is 25x. For reference, Diamonds and Star Rubies/Sapphires are 60x, regular rubies/sapphires/emeralds are 40x, clear glass is 5x, crystal glass is 10x, etc etc
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 01, 2009, 09:26:25 pm »

Ok, I'm fine if you keep it spoiler'd.  I hadn't considered that possibility.

No update tonight, and I don't know about tomorrow.  I've been getting hit over the head with some crazy deadlines at work lately... today I worked from 7:30 AM to 8:30 PM with unpaid overtime, with half of that time spent trying to track down a bug for a customer that ended up being because they jacked up their database somehow.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 02, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »

I just read through this entire thread. I've been enjoying it immensely and will continue to read more as it becomes available.
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 02, 2009, 06:38:52 pm »

Thoughts of Archibold, Issue One.

The sigs topic:

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 02, 2009, 07:59:36 pm »

Just a thought, since the workers are already questioning the dwarven shower deathtrap, it would be truly evil fitting to drop nobles into the glowing pits once you breech the [REDACTED].

Also, I can't help myself. I'm putting off studying for exams... think I'll copy The Architect.

Thoughts of 'Other Grendus'

« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:10:43 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 02, 2009, 10:49:07 pm »

You seem to speak from the point of view of someone who has read the thread and knows the whole plot  ;)
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 02, 2009, 11:17:10 pm »

9th Malachite, 207, Mid-Summer
-------------

Trading went sort of too well with the humans... I've sworn off trading the goblin items if they haven't been worked over by the craftsdwarves.  Not only is it undwarfy, but it hurts our exported wealth.  We did this in the early days of Severedcoils to build up a stockpile of metal bars and materials our grumpy consorts would need, but now we generate so much wealth of our own that this is no longer necessary.  I've been weaning us off of narrow items pretty steadily over the years - the last two years, we traded almost none, and this year so far we have traded nothing that wasn't a product of a dwarf's work.  And yet, we made so much wealth from giant cave spider silk crafts that we didn't even need the several large dwarven syrup and quarry bush leaf and cheese roasts.  They're sent back to the stockpiles and forbidden - maybe the Swift Arches will want them in the autumn.

For some time, I consider building walkways over the main entryways to the fort.  The purpose would be to create a square and fortify only the inside; that way, marksdwarves can shoot into this central square without harm from behind.  It would also link the barracks with the guard tower, and currently they're a really long distance away from each other in terms of walking distance.  The problem, however, is that this will create an 'inside' area underneath the walkways, and dwarves taking refuge following the 'stay indoors' order will end up standing along the outer rim of what would become the main battlefield.  Hmm...

"Help!  Why is there a cave swallowman in my room?!"

Oh dear, is that Tekkud Lenodmeng, the Tax Collector?  Where's he settled, anyway?  I completely forgot about him.

Ooohh... I must have placed him in the baron's room in the interim!  The tax collector successfully strangles the cave swallowman to death, then turns his attention to the strange door in the rear of his room. 

Just as his hand touches the nob, I shout "That door is forbidden!  You can't go through there, and neither can anyone's pets!"

"Why?  What's back there?"

"Um..." I think a while, then recall the one thing he absolutely detests most.  "Fire snakes.  Hordes of them.  You don't want to see it."

"Eww!!  Fire snakes?  Why are there fire snakes behind that door??"

"Because everybody absolutely detests them, and no one wants to get near enough to get rid of them.  Why, do you want to get rid of them for us?  That would be great."

"Eww, no!  I won't dirty my hands for something like that!"

"Why?  You killed the cave swallowman so easily, what's a fire snake to you?"

"A fire snake is the most vile creature in all of the World of Typhoons!  Why, it is so low, it cannot even crawl, for Logem - of whom I'm a faithful worshipper - did not see fit to give them arms or legs!"

Sheesh.  Talk about dramatic!  "Oh... well, too bad.  Guess the door has to remain forbidden, then."

"I'll say!  Are you sure the door is low enough to the ground?  I don't want any snakes slithering underneath and biting me in the night!"

Tekkud can keep the baron's death room for now.  Somebody might as well be using it...

The puppy traps are reloaded with groundhog pups.  I realize that dogs are more valuable as war dogs, and there really isnt any reason for us to have ground hogs in the first place.  When meat runs low, we butcher horses and camels.  Why in the world do we have groundhogs?

Speaking of animals, there sure are a lot running around these days... There's litters of giant eagle chicks, wolves, groundhogs, and two-humped camels on the loose right now.  I'd really like to cage them, but I also want to see us get a fair number of each of these animals.  Besides... an old friend from before I moved here told me she used to live in a fort that used wolves as part of a goblin trap.  I'm intrigued and want to try it, but first I need to acquire a lot of wolves.

I set the furnace operators to work smelting specialty metals for the nobles.  We need Trifle Pewter and Black Bronze... ugh.  Two of the most worthless metals, and we need to smelt a bunch of it.

The secret hideouts are nearing completion.  Furniture, food and booze in separate stock piles, and the bridges are made.  Let's check the progress...

Um... oh, I guess it's not so secret anymore.  Maybe carving out that garnierite vein will keep the workers guessing?  'Clearly, a noble wouldn't settle for having a big misshapen hole in the side of the room,' I'll say.  I hope that works...

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:19:05 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 02, 2009, 11:28:56 pm »

Why don't you wait to satisfy their demands by smelting bars? You know that works, right? I keep all my aluminum ore raw now thanks to a highly annoying noble who likes aluminum things. Wants 2 aluminum items? I smelt two bars! Or make a set of mugs if I have no ore left.
The sigs topic:

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:54 am »

Why don't you wait to satisfy their demands by smelting bars? You know that works, right? I keep all my aluminum ore raw now thanks to a highly annoying noble who likes aluminum things. Wants 2 aluminum items? I smelt two bars! Or make a set of mugs if I have no ore left.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 03, 2009, 12:14:03 am »

Is that a qft or something?
The sigs topic:

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2009, 12:28:41 am »

Pretty much yes.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:06 am »

Pretty much yes.

Cool! I feel so gratified.
The sigs topic:

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2009, 01:19:49 pm »

To me, that feels like an exploit.  So does selling raw narrow clothing, I know, but since the entire point of the challenge for some reason isn't panning out as fast as I'd hoped, I feel like I need to set other challenges along the way.
Do it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »

You seem to speak from the point of view of someone who has read the thread and knows the whole plot  ;)

Kenbo commented on there being a rumor about the nature of the room, but you're right about mentioning the king. I wasn't paying attention. It's edited now, better fits a paranoid dwarf who's heard rumors.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 05:12:00 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 54