Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge (Score: 5) (40d + DnD 5e)  (Read 130335 times)

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Severedcoils - Consort Accumulation Challenge
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2009, 06:53:20 pm »

13th Moonstone, 205, Early Winter.
-------------

Udib Uristnakuth withdrew from society and grabbed up several rolls of giant cave spider silk... that is, after I forbid the regular stuff.  I'm pretty excited to see what he makes, actually... so far, it looks like it might fetch a pretty penny.  I continue to forbid cheap items as he grabs them, but he refuses to use any gem but milk quartz.  Really?  Go ahead and pick the most worthless rock in the entire fortress, then.  You don't even like milk quartz, so why does it have to be milk quartz??  We got some yellow diamonds from the dwarven caravan last season, why don't you use those??

The new magma tunnel has been dug out.  This tunnel should allow the magma to be pumped farther down the shaft so that it's less likely to wind up back inside of the pump.  Maybe this will finally get those reservoirs filled?

One of the latest migrants, an Elite Wrestler by the name Lorbam Absamthīkut, pretty much walked into the barracks, kicked a little dwarven arse, and immediately became a Champion.  How do you like that?  I prefer our warriors to be armed, but perhaps there's some merit to letting one Wrestler of great repute into the ranks.

Thirty-four goblins showed up to siege us again.  It was divided almost half-and-half between wrestlers and pikemen, but there's a Goblin Hammer Lord and an Elite Marksgob.  No humans this time, but this is still pretty ugly.

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Kovest, guide our steel...

Besides a boatmurdered load of war dogs-- I mean, a boatload of murdered war dogs, we only lost one other dwarf.  Wouldn't you know it... it was Ast.  My lover, of whom I've written very little about.  We often chatted about how we would one day die together on the field of battle.  If only Asob hadn't talked me out of combat, that might have happened today... The day he told me he would rather take up a spear than sow another seed, I praised him.  Well... so long, Ast.  Looks like you'll be meeting Kovest sooner than I.  Save a seat for me at his ¤«¤Black Bronze table.¤»¤

I was doing pretty well with getting over Ast's death, until Udib showed up, coddling his new artifact in his hands.

"Hello, darling Zon!  I'm sorry for your loss, but you see, the fates... they told me of this event, and I immediately set to making this for you..."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"What.  The.  Hell."

"Ah, I see you are speechless!  Surely, one such as yourself cannot pass on a gesture of such beauty, such eloquence!  You cannot resist my charm, yes?"

"A thong, Udib.  What dwarf has ever worn a thong.  This is an elven undergarment."

"A one-of-a-kind garment, for a one-of-a-kind girl!  Don't you want to kiss me?"

"You chauvinistic, twisted, sick son of a female war dog.  My lover just died not even fifteen minutes ago, and you're already making a move on me.  And you do it by trying to give me lingerie?!"

"Ah, no, see, you misunderstand, my dear!  An item of such fine quality is a specimen of fine taste."

"Fine taste."

"Er, yes."

"You put an image of King Minkot's face in turtle bone on the inside."

"That... that I can explain.  See--"

"Why is his nose so long?!"

"That thong is worth 111,800 dwarfbucks."

"I-- ...really?  Well, that changes things... sort of."

"So, then... can I get you a drink?"

"Tch... please.  If you hadn't become a Legendary Weaver out of this, I'd have you pull the lever."

"...Oh, the obsidian lever?  It's a very nice lever, yes, yes.  Say, you know what that lever reminds me of?  My-- hey!"

I snatch the thong from his disgusting little hands and slap a big ol' "FORBIDDEN" tag on it.  "I know some humans who would probably love this.  Thanks."

Nelare has been posted near the bridge successfully.  She doesn't seem to mind us at all.  Kikrost the Dungeon Master has been throwing a fit all week about how bringing the dragon inside is far, far too much excitement in her life.  Nonetheless, she's done a great job of taming her.  This isn't where she'll stay, though... when we get around to digging out the adamantine, she'll find a more permanent home down there.

Speaking of permanent homes down there...

Looks like somebody made it to my grave before I did... and even before it was finished.  At ease, Ast.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:47:44 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2009, 06:57:01 pm »

Is the stuck migrant a military dwarf?  If so, either undraft him or set his squad to stand down.  That should do the trick.

Yeah, it was.  And yes, I know this trick, but unfortunately something drew my attention away from the wave and I missed this until it was too late.

I've read that even with the requirements, it can take up to a year before the baron actually arrives, even through a few fruitless migrant waves.  Even though I'm sure I did everything, I went into the job manager and ordered up 25 beds, 25 doors, 25 rock crafts, and then I set Prepare Lavish Meal to Repeat, and manually set up more than 10 gem cutting/encrusting jobs.  I did the same thing two seasons ago, except not with the job manager.
Do it.
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2009, 10:42:46 pm »

"You put an image of King Kovest's face in turtle bone on the inside."

I assume you meant King Minkot there...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2009, 12:14:07 am »

"You put an image of King Kovest's face in turtle bone on the inside."

I assume you meant King Minkot there...

A common side-effect of a fever is confusion  ;D  Thanks for the catch.
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:23 pm »

1st Granite, 206, Early Spring
-------------

((Map))Spring is here, and not a moment too soon.

Winter came and went rather uneventfully.  We caught some wolves, which is nice, but it just doesn't scream "giant eagle," you know?  They'll get chained up in the zoo eventually to breed anyway.  I'm sure we'll find something fun to do with a pack of hungry wolves.  Pit them beneath the bridge, probably.

Most of the season was spent experimenting with magma, and I've made a real mess of things.  Nobody got hurt, thankfully, but trying to push magma that distance is a serious headache!  Two separate pump configurations failed, and then I threw my hands up in the air and said "Screw it, let's tie it to a windmill!"  So, that's what we're doing.

Oddom Tunmegid, a recruit, suffocated in the barracks, but was quickly replaced by a new baby and a new champion.  This reminds me that I need to make more clear glass coffins.

King Minkot decided to throw a party at a green glass statue, delaying the windmill for a few days.  Me, I'm not really a party person.  I decided to go out for a walk.  Alone.  I needed to do some thinking.

What, Kovest?  What is this great mystery you want me to seek?  It's clearly around here somewhere, otherwise you wouldn't have seen to my miserable existence out here.  Goblins waiting in ambush, giant bats tearing apart the first newcomers who just wanted a home, distrust and lies around every corner... why?  What?  When am I going to find the answers to these questions?  Is there someth

« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:50:10 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 10:41:54 pm »

20th Granite, 206, Early Spring (by Asob Momuzzokun)
-------------

((DFMA)) ((Movie)) Everyone is still talking about Zon's epic battle.  And who wouldn't?  I mean, come on, most dwarves would have been crushed outright!  But not Zon.  She single-handedly killed four goblins and scared off the rest!  Ok, well, I guess she had a little bit of help from Tosid ķkthagthob the fisher, but he did little more than distract a macegob with his face... still, it was long enough for Zon to catch up and clobber one more!  She now has 10 kills to her name, 8 of whom are goblins.

Zon dropped her diary again to go rest her moderately wounded upper body and lower spine, and since then has been too busy getting the magma windmill working to even ask where she left it.  So, into my safekeeping the journal goes.

Zuglar the marksdwarf, injured in the last goblin siege in Autumn with a mangled left upper leg, woke up briefly with amnesia.  He thinks his name is 'Tirin' now.  Let's hope his wife 'Barduk' doesn't mind...

Meanwhile, that Champion Wrestler died in the barracks today.  I always thought he was arrogant... I told Zon we should have given him a weapon and trained him properly, but 'No,' she said, 'It's for science!'  I still don't get what that means.  Also, take a wild guess who killed him.  That's right... Archibold.  Seriously, she needs a time out or something!

...Wait a minute... The brewers are cancelling their tasks because they're out of distillable items?  Shouldn't we have a bunch of-- OHMYGOD OHMYGOD OHMYGOD!!  Where's all of our food?!  5 rhesus macaque, 4 shad, 6 rainbow trout, 119 turtle... ugh, I'm sick of turtle...

Look at that.  Very, very little of that isn't turtle shell or turtle bone.  That's the entire refuse pile.

...and we have no plants!  What the... what... how... what?!

Ok, don't panic... Nobody's starving yet... At least I caught this now.  Zon must have been too busy getting the magma working to notice, so I'm going to have to take the reins a little here.  I swap some job orders around to dedicate a couple more formers, and relieve them from their hauling duties.  At least we don't actually need to brew for a while.  Geez, look at all that booze... 1,758 drinks available!

"Eureka!!"  I hear from across the hills.  I look out across the valley and see... yes!  The windmill is turning!

...Wow.  That... filled up in a flash.  Um... Oh, geez.  My design failed utterly and left us forgeless for years.  Zon takes over, dwells on it for a little while, and BOOM!  Reservoirs full.  She's going to be so mad... um... Zon, I'm sorry, I snuck your diary into your room and left it on your -Gabbro Table- where I'm sure you'd find it because I was afraid you'd be mad!  Don't make me pull the lever!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 08:52:39 pm by KenboCalrissian »
Do it.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2009, 11:00:54 pm »

Just don't forget to shut the windmill off once it's filled, or your miners will get a very nasty surprise when they dig the magma access holes in the forge area floors. Oh, and make sure there aren't any holes already, since the pump will push the magma up through them.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2009, 11:06:20 pm »

Check and check ;)  I feel really silly now seeing how fast it filled with a powered pump.
Do it.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37:46 pm »

Uh-oh, a spine injury. Zon will never spar again...

Wait. That's not a bad thing.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2009, 11:07:57 am »

Few comments - if most of your refuse stockpile is food, either your farmer has too much to do or you ran out of food storage space. Assigning more farmers probably won't help, as they'll yield lower stack sizes. You either need places to harvest to or you need more time to harvest.

At least you realized this when you had a hundred or so food and more booze than you can possibly drink. You'll be fine, just don't panic and both turn and reverse, either increase the number of dwarves harvesting, reduce your farmer's tasks so all he does is plant and harvest, or increase the space to store food.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 11:17:20 am »

Few comments - if most of your refuse stockpile is food, either your farmer has too much to do or you ran out of food storage space. Assigning more farmers probably won't help, as they'll yield lower stack sizes. You either need places to harvest to or you need more time to harvest.
No, no, the refuse stockpile is mostly turtle bones/shells, not food.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2009, 11:19:36 am »

I'd recommend hauling those turtle bones and shells inside and making them into crafts or decorations for other items - put your bone carvers to good use. Just be sure to set aside a few shells for strange moods.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2009, 04:52:16 pm »

No, no, the refuse stockpile is mostly turtle bones/shells, not food.

Ahh. Sorry, I'm used to the Mayday Graphics pack (though turtles are coming out as little green gems for some reason... the shells are normal though), those symbols looked kind of like rotten food from the mayday pack.

I'd recommend hauling those turtle bones and shells inside and making them into crafts or decorations for other items - put your bone carvers to good use. Just be sure to set aside a few shells for strange moods.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, actually, since the fisherdwarves seem to be bringing in more than enough turtles. Shell is usually only a problem for fortresses (like mine) that see fisherdwarves as a waste of time.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 12, 2009, 08:42:42 pm »

Would you rather have your rough green gems shaped like turtles? I'm not a big fan of the pack, but to each his own. Just be sure to switch it back for your fileupload in the succession game :)

By the way, where's my dwarf? I understand if I can't kill things with an elf-made, elfbone-decorated mace, but do I even have a dwarf? ;-(
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 12, 2009, 09:51:04 pm »

You should have an indoor refuse stockpile, one that only accepts bones, body parts, skulls, shells, and corpses. Then have an outdoor stockpile that accepts everything else.

Until then, I recommend decorating everything in sight with turtle shell.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54