Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get the other races to seige you?  (Read 1212 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
How to get the other races to seige you?
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:57:05 pm »

How do you?
If I want the elves to attack me. How would I do it?

If I seized a bunch of stuff from there Caravan does that piss them off enough?

Thanks

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: How to get the other races to seige you?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:08 pm »

It may take several times, but it's been reported to work. If you want it to be quicker, you could always murder the diplomat, but that'll make it impossible to ever end the war once you get tired of it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:30 pm »

Get tired of killing elves? Impossible.

I have yet to provoke a war, but that's because I've never felt strong enough.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:08:11 pm »

I've never had elves declare war on me from seizing their stuff, but maybe I just didn't do it enough times.

As for killing their diplomat, you could ensure that to enter your fort he has to pass through some sort of death chamber, be it full of caged goblins you can release, or a magma/drowning chamber, or an atomsmasher or whatever. And just pray to Armok that none of your useful dwarves are in the same room when he is.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 08:16:57 pm »

Or as I understand it. You could clear cut the map. Twice for good measure. Then throw the wood into a magma pit if you really don't want to keep it, and feel like pouring salt in the wood.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:30 pm »

Then lie to them.  If you lie to them, they siege you.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:19 am »

For the record, the elves lumber demands are based on logs you have in your stockpile, not how many trees you cut. So you could have a stockpile with 200 'kosher' elvish logs, they'd still bitch and whine about how you're cutting too much wood.

The elves won't siege until you have a baron though. Once you get the baron, clearcut the map and stock all the wood in clearly visible piles. The next elvish caravan will bring an elvish diplomat to harass you about your height and lumber use. Refuse his offer, and you'll eventually see (or won't see, as the case may be) an elvish siege.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:26:04 am »

Kill the caravan.  Repeat till they are at war with you.  Also tree diplomacy doesn't start till you have at least a baron.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:32:38 am »

Ok thanks

What's the requirement for a baron again?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:46:46 am »

Reportedly, you can also provoke a war by accepting a lumber quota and then exceeding it, though, as with other methods of pissing off the elves, it may take several years. The elves near my fortress have been bringing nothing but cloth for years, and I've been systematically murdering them by retracting my entrance bridge and dropping them into the magma pipe or by caving in a 5x5 cougar tallow soap floor (covered with masterwork steel anvils, just for flavor) onto the trade depot, and I've also been repeatedly refusing tree cutting quotas. Each year, I hope that they'll either start bringing reasonable goods or simply go to war so I can start killing them in larger numbers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:04:22 pm »

Then there is offering them stuff that offends them, that being wood, bones etc. not sure if itd do the job, but every little helps

Rijjka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »

While your at it, maybe get your dwarves to all vomit on them while hauling stuff to the trade depot. I mean, if were going the whole extra mile here, might as well to it in style. Oo oo, or have your Nobles vomit on the uppity diplomat that comes by to tell you that the trees are screaming in pain.
To the dorf pulling the lever, the lever is just a lever. The magma pouring out of the mountainside is just a coincidence. To the dorf designing a pump stack from the magma sea, it is just that: a pump stack. No specific reason for it. It will never do anything.
for reasons best knows to themselves, the elves decided to explode

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:22 pm »

Ok thanks

What's the requirement for a baron again?

According to the wiki article, you need 80 population, 10000 exported wealth, some amount of fortress wealth, and a variety of tasks performed that year.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:18:06 pm »

Three simple words, that work for all the races.

Kill
Their
Diplomat.

I've tested this with the humans and elves. Both sieged after the death of a diplomat. Humans were accidental, elves purposefully.

My preferred method is to use my noble-killer. Lure the noble they want to see in with a lever, like normal. Then once the diplomat is in, either cancel the lever job and let the noble leave before forbidding the door in the diplomat's face, or just trigger it with both in there.

Elves worship nature and the trees. I see dwarves as finding the earth itself as that sacred, so dropping them in chasms or the magma pipe is good. A worthy sacrifice to the core.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 02:47:42 am »

If you're feeling up to it, you could try and embark as a civilization that's enemies with the Elves at the start (in my most recent fort I managed that by accident.  ::)). That way you avoid all the hassle of pissing off the Elves in the first place.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.
Pages: [1] 2