Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Cracking Geodes (still testing)  (Read 2474 times)

Irrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cracking Geodes (still testing)
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2009, 05:00:18 pm »

I've been keeping the reaction on repeat for the last few in game years with no gems created. Suggestions stated that I should replace :STONE: with :ROUGH: so I will try that. I also like the idea of creating a primary reaction that will create a geode, which can then be cracked.

As for the fact that all stones can be used, is it possible to use the [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE],[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE], or [METAMORPHIC] tokens to specify stones used in a reaction? Or can I only use the stone-specific tokens?
A dwarven Architect can and will build an unbalanced skyscraper from lead with only a single supporting column at ground level on top of sand.

Truly the greatest minds of this world.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2009, 07:14:36 pm »

This may be a bit vague but I'm responding from my phone. 

You know how  flux is defined by a reactionclass tag?  Do the same for stone.  Make a reactionclass:stone tag and stick it on any stone type you want to use.  Then change the reagant in the reaction to use that reactionclass.  That way only the types you decide can be used. 

I'll post an example later when I get to my PC.

Nobody1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2009, 12:58:06 am »

I've been keeping the reaction on repeat for the last few in game years with no gems created. Suggestions stated that I should replace :STONE: with :ROUGH: so I will try that. I also like the idea of creating a primary reaction that will create a geode, which can then be cracked.

[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:CRYSTAL_ROCK] will not work, but [PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:CRYSTAL_ROCK] will.

My own testing suggests that, at least with 40d16, it is in fact a roll of the dice for these reactions, not a cumulative build-up (leading to a sudden springing forth of 10 different gems after feeding in exactly 100 rocks, for instance)*.  With a list of eight different possible product gems, each at the 1/100 level, and using the manager to run the "crack geode" reaction 100 times, some gems came quickly and were duplicated before 100 were finished, and some were not rolled at all within the 100.  (All reactions done at the same smelter).

* Perhaps with ores, like tetrahedrite, it is a build-up, while with reactions it is a random chance?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As for the fact that all stones can be used, is it possible to use the [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE],[IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE], or [METAMORPHIC] tokens to specify stones used in a reaction? Or can I only use the stone-specific tokens?

I haven't tried this, but what Retro42 said will work quite well: find every rock type you want to have a geode (for instance, go to matgloss_stone_layer and check every stone that isn't flux* or obsidian), and add [REACTION_CLASS:GEODESTONE] to the end of their entries.

Then, in your reaction_geode, have your reagent be:
[REAGENT:1:REACTION_CLASS:GEODESTONE]

*Or not.  You may have more flux layer stone than you know what to do with, and limestone, for instance, is a common enough place to find geodes.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2009, 10:27:22 am »

I use the same method and get the same returns using ore.  I'm thinking that the matgloss raws treat it as a percentage completion and the reactions raws use percent chance.  Makes sense because the matgloss raw formatted that way would mesh well with however Toady has melting items set up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]