Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cracking Geodes (still testing)  (Read 2482 times)

jeroti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Cracking Geodes (still testing)
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 01:06:32 am »

I'm not exactly savvy with reaction modding at the moment, but shouldn't the product of the reaction be ROUGH instead of STONE?

Because rough gem's aren't exactly stones to the game.

Does this need to be done for the mod to work? Has anyone tried it and gotten any gems out of this. I've cracked hundreds of geodes and haven't gotten a single gem. I know the precent is really small so maybe I'm just super unlucky or maybe it's not working.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 07:20:06 am »

Well I thought it's required, so at the moment I have ROUGH instead of STONE for the product. Like you, I haven't had any gem yet, but it's 1% chance. Need to crack a lot more stones to see if it works.

However, there is an issue with the current reaction. It doesn't matter what stone it is, anything can be cracked. Gabbro, alunite, gold or aluminum. Everything goes. Of course it can be fixed by simply forbidding all the valuable stones you want to make metal from, but yeah.

Even if there's still something wrong with the reaction, at least it's getting rid of all that stone I have in my fort at the moment.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 07:24:47 am »

What this will do is cause you to very suddenly get 1 of each of those gems every 100 stones you use.

It's not a chance, it's a % of completion. Lets say i have a reaction with a 20 in that slot, the first time i do the reaction the Smelter will produce nothing, but behind-the-scenes it's built up '20% of product' inside it. If i do the reaction again, nothing happens, but now the smelter is to '40% of product', and so on. Once the smelter reaches 100% it spits out the relevant product and any excess is added back to that hidden tally.

The tally is unique to each smelter, so if i do the reaction twice on 2 smelters they'll both be at 20%.

So basically, each time you use this Crack Geode reaction, your smelter gets 1% of each of those gems added to it's hidden tally, once it reaches 100% it will spit out the gems.

This has been tested repeatedly and confirmed, if the Wiki still says it's % chance then somone needs to update it, because the Wiki is wrong.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 07:53:14 am »

Although I am glad to now see such easily understandable and extensive answer, I have a nagging feeling that this was said earlier in this exact same thread but I just didn't get it.

Oh well. A bunch of random gems for 100 stones? I'm cool with it.

Also, I recall that galena says it has a 50% chance to produce a silver bar. I assume it means with the above in mind, that you need to smelt 2 pieces of galena to get that silver bar instead of the first-imagined "50% chance to get a free silver bar along the lead bar" thing.

Just making sure, and all that.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:56:43 am by Ieb »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 08:08:42 am »

Also, I recall that galena says it has a 50% chance to produce a silver bar. I assume it means with the above in mind, that you need to smelt 2 pieces of galena to get that silver bar instead of the first-imagined "50% chance to get a free silver bar along the lead bar" thing.
Exactly. Also note that the percent of completion is tied to the exact furnace. It means that if you smelt 2 galena in 2 different smelters you won't get the 50% result. The % is accumulated within each smelter, and if you deconstruct it, the values are lost.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 09:03:20 am »

All that I thought I knew about smelters is suddenly a lie.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2009, 09:48:04 am »

Strange. I swear I've gotten a silver bar and a copper bar after smelting a single tetrahedrite to make my starting axe before.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 10:28:07 am »

Tetrahedrite has:
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:20]

Which version did you use? I want to make some tests again :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 11:49:58 am »

Thanks for the more detailed info.  Considering my ore prospecting is done on all my smelters I'm okay with the percent of total output deal.

One question though...  Can the percent of output be less than one or include a decimal?

And a possible answer to someone elses problem:  try adding a reactionclass [GeodeStone] to just the stone types you want to crack.  What I did with prospecting is add an OreStone reactionclass to only non-flux layer stones(ie: basalt,chert,etc) and make the reaction need a product with the same reaction class.  This keeps all decorative/ore/flux safe from being used.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 06:58:41 pm »

I've never tried percentiles, so i don't know. Wouldn't be too hard though; make a reaction with a 33.4% completion; if you get the product after 3 smelts, then it tracks decimals.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 12:13:57 am »

Actually I haven't seen a single token to accept decimals, thus the format may be Integer. A try wouldn't hurt though.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 08:25:24 am »

I'm not so sure you are right on this.  In the modding I've done with similar stuff, I recall it being a percent chance.  Seeing things with a 5:100 come out on the 1st or second smelting. 

You have a link to where this was supposedly proved otherwise?

Are you confusing it with melting items?  Melting items does add up in specific smelters.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:29:19 am by Shakma »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 08:41:24 am »

I have well over a dozen tests i've performed myself if that helps. There was a thread in here somewhere, but i'll be damned if i remember what it was called.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 09:18:00 am »

Tetrahedrite has:
[METAL_ORE:COPPER:100]
[METAL_ORE:SILVER:20]

Which version did you use? I want to make some tests again :).

This was the most recent version off the May Green website I think. I can't remember if this was vanilla, Dig Deeper, or Dark Dwarves.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 02:01:13 pm »

I'm not so sure you are right on this.  In the modding I've done with similar stuff, I recall it being a percent chance.  Seeing things with a 5:100 come out on the 1st or second smelting. 

You have a link to where this was supposedly proved otherwise?

Are you confusing it with melting items?  Melting items does add up in specific smelters.
No, I am not confusing it with anything, I've done some tests by myself and it was a completion percent, not a chance. However it was tested some time ago so maybe it was changed in recent version, thus I am going to do it in a short time because I am already not sure about the thing I eagerly protected some time ago :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 [2] 3