Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cracking Geodes (still testing)  (Read 2481 times)

Irrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cracking Geodes (still testing)
« on: October 15, 2009, 05:30:38 pm »

I just made a quick mod that will get rid of extra stone and may throw you the occasional gem. The chances of finding a gem are intentionally low, but with some very good luck, you may find more than one gem in any geode. I'm right now building a new world with this mod so I'm still seeing if it will even function if intended.

reaction_geode.txt

reaction_geode

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:CRACK_GEODE]
[NAME:Crack geode]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:NO_MATGLOSS]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:CRYSTAL_ROCK]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:CITRINE]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:SMOKY_QUARTZ]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:ROSE_QUARTZ]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:MILK_QUARTZ]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:SUNSTONE]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:BLUE_GARNET]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:CLEAR_GARNET]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:PINK_GARNET]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:MILK_QUARTZ]
[PRODUCT:1:1:ROUGH:AMETHYST]

edit: removed additional gem . See first 2 replies for detail.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:55:27 pm by Irrational »
A dwarven Architect can and will build an unbalanced skyscraper from lead with only a single supporting column at ground level on top of sand.

Truly the greatest minds of this world.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cracking Geodes (still testing)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 06:29:40 pm »

Um, as a general rule, it's spelled "amethyst", not "amythest". And amethysts are in the game, in matgloss_stone_gem.txt.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Irrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:36:29 pm »

Um, as a general rule, it's spelled "amethyst", not "amythest". And amethysts are in the game, in matgloss_stone_gem.txt.

that would explain why I couldn't find it with crtl-f. Ignore my stupidity then. This error will be rectified.
A dwarven Architect can and will build an unbalanced skyscraper from lead with only a single supporting column at ground level on top of sand.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 08:50:59 pm »

Also, a .5 in the % thing isn't going to do you any good.  I don't think the game will even read a non-integer value.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 09:26:24 pm »

I think someone already made this as part of a larger mod, pretty much exactly as you did. Or was it only suggested?

Anyway, further tests would be good- for example, does it roll for each crystal (effectively giving you a 55% chance of any stone being a geode) separately? Also, you might want to increase the probability of rock crystal- they're rare, useful if you have sand, and it makes sense.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Irrational

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 11:35:32 pm »

I was hoping it would read a non-integer value. Oh well. It's just that 1% would seem a bit high with an 11% chance of finding at least 1 gem. I suppose I could just cut + paste a bit to make 11 different reactions or cut down the number of gems.

I want to make this as balanced as possible, but it seems that it will be difficult. With everything in one reaction and the necessity to use an integer probability just makes it so that you receive too many gems. Making separate reactions fixes that problem but then people would just try looking for rock crystal most likely; the random chance of a geode not containing the gem you want is eliminated.

And if this has been done before, then I guess I'll just delete the thread in short order. I'll let it stick around for one more day in case anyone has suggestions.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 06:19:42 am »

Kinda non-direct way: make a reaction witch makes a GEODE gem with low chance, then another reaction to crack it. This way you could lower chance.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 03:52:24 pm »

I think someone already made this as part of a larger mod, pretty much exactly as you did. Or was it only suggested?

Anyway, further tests would be good- for example, does it roll for each crystal (effectively giving you a 55% chance of any stone being a geode) separately? Also, you might want to increase the probability of rock crystal- they're rare, useful if you have sand, and it makes sense.

From what I know it does roll each roll separately.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 05:53:04 pm »

I'm fairly certain that it will just count out a hundred reactions and give you one of each at the end of the reaction. Have you tested it?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 06:10:06 pm »

It's not a CHANCE, it's a percentage of a full output. There's no magical random generator, just a simple addition. It was tested a hundred of times and proved, but still there're some trolls here and there confusing honest folk.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:34:39 pm »

It's not a CHANCE, it's a percentage of a full output. There's no magical random generator, just a simple addition. It was tested a hundred of times and proved, but still there're some trolls here and there confusing honest folk.
Could you go into a bit more detail, and not accuse people of being trolls just because they just happened to miss the thread where this was tested?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:46:52 pm »

Could you go into a bit more detail, and not accuse people of being trolls just because they just happened to miss the thread where this was tested?

This.  I've lurked the modding forums quite a bit, and know a number of tricks, but I've never heard anything about this.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

I actually wrote something similiar to pull ores out of common rocktypes.  Any elaboration on the output chance/percent would be very useful.  Or at least a link to the info.

Thanks

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:05:22 am »

I'm not exactly savvy with reaction modding at the moment, but shouldn't the product of the reaction be ROUGH instead of STONE?

Because rough gem's aren't exactly stones to the game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:00 am »

I was not talking about you, but there were people who intentionally confused new modders.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: [1] 2 3