Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flash Fry Trap?  (Read 1149 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Flash Fry Trap?
« on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:25 am »

If I drop magma directly on top of a goblin standing on a floor grate, will he and all his non-magma-safe equipment be vaporized or will the contact time be too short to have an effect?

Code: [Select]
P ~~~~~~~~MAGMA~~~~~~~~
U +++++FLOODGATES++++++
M =======HALLWAY=======
P #####FLOORGRATES#####
S ~~~~~~~~MAGMA~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:06:58 am by Blaze »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Fry Trap?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 10:50:22 am »

I don't think they'll vaporize, but they will definetly catch on fire.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 10:59:27 am »

What you've described is the "magma curtain", and it generally doesn't vaporize stuff instantly, instead merely setting them on fire (though if they die on one of the grates, further falling magma will eventually burn everything away).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 11:34:45 am »

This does, however, bear looking into. I think a container of magma above, and a floor of checkerboard floors and grates to drain magma out. You'd probably need to pump it to get a nice flow, though.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:21:29 pm »

If it's actually possible to ignite orcs reliably using this method, then a magma harvester would be capable of keeping bones and magma-sensitive metals. That's great news.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 03:25:56 pm »

Or for those of us that likes to vaporise our annoyances away *sometimes they aren't just sieges if you catch one of multiple drifts this may have*, build a bigger curtain =P or longer/wider to be precise

_ _ >   < _ _
_ >        < _
>             <
_ _ _ _ _ _ _

I.e, by making multiple levels of pumps pouring out magma goodness into space channelled out with the level below being pulled a square back you have multiple squares of laval coming down on the doomed below, managing flow rates to avoid flooding and spills would be the challenge, but this is dwarf fortress is it not?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 06:07:05 pm »

I believe this is called a magmafall. It's very dangerous to your own dwarves, as they'll path right through it at a moments notice, and extremely dangerous to other races (namely elves, who have a tendency to... ahem... not announce their arrival so the dwarves *forget* to turn it off).

It will, however, kill every kind of creature except fiery clowns and creatures from the magma tube, making it an incredibly powerful defense. And let's face it, a magmafall is very dwarvish.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:13:28 pm »

I prefer the magma moses.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 07:40:29 pm »

It's not a constant flow, it's a re-usable timed drop that I can refill through the use of pumps.

Code: [Select]
---------------------------
+++++^+++++^+++++^+++++^+++
+++++^+++++^+++++^+++++^+++
---------------------------
+ = floorgrate
^ = pressure plate
- = wall
Hitting a pressure plate will activate the corresponding floodgates above. The floodgates themselves have reset levers in case they're left in the open position.

I'd make it a wider hallway, but floorgrates don't support other floorgrates; which I learned the last time I tried making this :/.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:46:11 pm »

The odds of you timing it just right to catch the goblins under it is iffy at best, as there's a random delay between a the pressure plate and the drop. You could wire it to a lever and then pull it when sieges happened, though you'd want a good way to keep your dwarves away from it.

I still prefer curb-stomping them with hammers, but to each his own.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 07:57:04 pm »

The odds of you timing it just right to catch the goblins under it is iffy at best, as there's a random delay between a the pressure plate and the drop. You could wire it to a lever and then pull it when sieges happened, though you'd want a good way to keep your dwarves away from it.

I still prefer curb-stomping them with hammers, but to each his own.

It's not random, there's a 100 step delay between pressure plate triggering and floodgates opening... no stat goblins have a speed of 10, so take 10 steps between each move or action, so should get about 9 steps after triggering a plate (more agile goblins will get farther) OTOH, the magma flow is chunkier than water, so there might be a random delay before the magma drops.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 08:33:38 pm »

bewere that it takes time for a goblin to brun to death and thay will move 2x as fast strat for the beer.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 12:54:10 pm »

I would suggest using bridges instead of floodgates, but whatever floats your boat.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

Or use hatches or doors and have a delay of zero.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 05:16:56 pm »

Here's how I like to do it (viewed from the side):

%>  <%
[_<%  %>_]
+++]__[+++

_ = Floor
[+++] = Walls
%> = Pump, where the arrow is where it pumps TO

All of the top pumps (you would do this along a long area) are on one lever, and the bottom ones on another (probably on all the time). So the basins on the right and left are your permanent magma reservoir, and the bottom floor is where gobbos and elf merchants go. The beauty in two sets of pumps is you can have the area clear and safe quickly, without any 1/7 magma residue to melt goblinite or people you don't hate. For a version where the passage is three tiles wide, put magma-proof floor grates all the way down the middle of the road.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2