Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Making a 3D Roguelike!  (Read 9954 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Making a 3D Roguelike!
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 05:50:14 am »

Quick qustion, do you plan on sticking with a dungeon with random rooms, or do you plan on doing somthing else, like a modular dungeon ala Daggerfall?

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 10:47:39 am »

I'm going to use the random rooms, but at some point I will be putting in some modifications that will help spice up the dungeon.  Different rooms will have a chance of using different tilesets, there will be random props scattered around (like fallen ceiling tiles, sacrificial altars, blood splatters, etc.), and there will be doors, secret doors, and traps.

Man, daggerfall, that brings back memories ;)

The last 4 days I've been trying to hunt down a really bothersome bug in how the game keeps track of the monsters in the dungeon.  Think I'm going to have to rewrite a few things differently to avoid it.  Only real progress I've made is giving the player a nice first person shooter control system. (mouselook and wasd walking keys)
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:14 am »

I can't wait to see the results of your labors.
Whenever I read about what you guys are working on, I think about how to implement it in my game,
and how I would do it.
It really makes my crazy, having all of these things I want to do at once,
but can't really get to yet.
Eventually, I would love to add in modular features like caves.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 03:01:42 pm »

Keep going, I'm nowhere near familiar with programming with Pyhton, so I wouldn't know how hard it would be to keep track of the monsters. The platform I use keeps track of TOO MUCH, so I have to tell it to ignore the unimportant stuff. I can't wait to fool around with this.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 04:01:15 pm »

I'm going to use the random rooms, but at some point I will be putting in some modifications that will help spice up the dungeon.  Different rooms will have a chance of using different tilesets, there will be random props scattered around (like fallen ceiling tiles, sacrificial altars, blood splatters, etc.), and there will be doors, secret doors, and traps.
That sounds cool, but I guess I'm a bit worried that, although this is 3d, roguelikes may need to be tuned a bit to work better in 3d.

I guess a good example is The Legend of Zelda, where the 3d version was drastically different from the 2d version, because the translation didn't work too well. Eye candy is a good addition though, and I don't want you to overcomplicate this game before going through your easier to impliment vision. I'd rather have a decent game than a great game with horrible bugs (and not to mention that bugs force you to savescum).

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2009, 12:13:58 pm »

Update:

New Youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3TPPLu2ikk

So I've been dealing with some really crippling bugs as of late.  Finally I've found the problem.  Python is a 'pass by reference' language, meaning if you say a = b, b will point to the same object as a, not a copy of it.  All my game objects are lists, so when I was populating the map array with monsters, it was just putting in pointers to the original monster list object.

Long story short, I discovered the module copy.deepcopy() function to duplicate nested lists and am back on track.

So, whats new in the video?

The monsters are keeping track of their locations, and the game only displays the monsters in the local field of view.
Monsters have the right hitpoints, field of vision, and speed.
The player has a FPS style mouselook, hands, and a hud which displays the name and hitpoints of the monster under the crosshair.
The monster material has been fixed (they used to glow in the dark), and the game has realtime shadows.

What's coming soon?

Objects, the code for objects is going to be the same as for monsters so that will be easy
up/down stairs, a town level, doors in the dungeon.
Player stats - needs to be somewhat complete before I can attempt combat or things like stealth and picking locks/bashing doors
monster ai.  Chase the player, move somewhat or completely erratically, flee, and only attack the player if he is out in the open.  I also want to make some lightweight flocking type algorithm, so the monsters don't group up when chasing you.

That sounds cool, but I guess I'm a bit worried that, although this is 3d, roguelikes may need to be tuned a bit to work better in 3d.

I guess a good example is The Legend of Zelda, where the 3d version was drastically different from the 2d version, because the translation didn't work too well. Eye candy is a good addition though, and I don't want you to overcomplicate this game before going through your easier to impliment vision. I'd rather have a decent game than a great game with horrible bugs (and not to mention that bugs force you to savescum).

Yeah good point.  I have a feeling the game will translate well to a first person shooter, but if not it will be trivial to change the viewpoint to over the shoulder or isometric at the end.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2009, 12:23:25 pm »

Woah! Cool.
I like the super dark filled with following creatures.
It makes me feel alone and disturbed.
Good mood for a rogue-like.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2009, 09:30:37 am »

New video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49yqF9pzjj8

Stairs, doors, and items are in the dungeon.  The game is starting to really feel like angband.

Next up is character creation, item identification states, inventory, maybe the basic combat algorithm.

I'm going to have to plan out the user interface, also some sort of quickaccess command slots for ingame, so you could cast a spell or use an item via one keypress.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 06:22:36 am »

I find the fact that you bash your head into doors to open them hilarious.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2009, 12:20:51 am »

The display scene for character information.  I still haven't got the combat stats figured out, but that is next on my list.  Magic is going to wait till combat, weapons, and inventory are done.

Pages: 1 2 [3]