Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crazy horse! (invader pet)  (Read 2030 times)

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
crazy horse! (invader pet)
« on: October 15, 2009, 09:51:48 am »

Playing 40d16 with the "df extended" mod --

A group of half giants appeared as a siege, and wandered into my *lots and lots* of cage traps at the entrance.

One of the invaders was a horse.  It was caged, and a horse, so I had my animal trainer tame it.  It appeared to be a "stray horse (tame)"

When I let it out of it's cage, it started trying to leave, interrupted everyone's actions, kicked a war dog to death while suffering grievous wounds (although the brown liver might just be from going through the booze stockpile), and finally got caught in a cage trap at the door. 

So I checked the (u)nit list and it was a "stray horse (tame)      INVADER"

Should I assume this is normal behavior?  Invaders cannot be made friendly even when their creature type should be ? 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: crazy horse! (invader pet)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:33 am »

I'm pretty sure that creatures which have tasted dwarf blood can't be tamed. Maybe this is your case; but just kill it and then butcher it

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:58:15 am »

This is unlikely.  I had everyone cowering inside waiting for them to get past the cage traps. 

My cage traps have been fun so far with extended.  I have a white dragon waiting for a dungeon master to show up. 
"I accidentally dislodged a single tile at ground level while trimming the hill around the fortress entrance, and it punched through a lava moat, a gem stockpile and a bone stockpile before coming to a halt in someone's bedroom.  The bedroom's owner, a planter, was in bed at the time, and he got up and walked to the door just in time to get a coating of lava, gems, bones and scorched legendary miner chunks."  -NCarter

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 10:05:57 am »

I don't think anyone's ever successfully tamed an invader steed before. You might want to report this as a bug -- either they shouldn't be tamable or they should be properly tame.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

illiterate

• Bay Watcher
  • [THRIVES_ON_OBSCURITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:21:13 am »

posted.  thanks! 

i suppose it's possible if that horse existed as an entity it would have killed dwarfs before, but without a name that shouldn't be possible, right? 

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 10:27:45 am »

Any creature appearing as an invader will always be hostile, whether or not it killed a dwarf.

However, tamed invaders can still breed. Just let one of the males outside and all the females in cages will magically become pregnant. Tamed invaders will produce tame offspring, so you can let those out safely.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:55:32 am »

However, tamed invaders can still breed. Just let one of the males outside and all the females in cages will magically become pregnant. Tamed invaders will produce tame offspring, so you can let those out safely.

The females won't become pregnant while they're inside cages - they have to either be chained up or roaming freely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 10:58:08 am »

i suppose it's possible if that horse existed as an entity it would have killed dwarfs before, but without a name that shouldn't be possible, right? 

The whole concept of "possible" implies that you have "logical, reasonable expectations" of a game which is 1) a game, 2) a fantasy game, and 3) an alpha-state fantasy game.

"Possible" is up to the imagination of the designer, and their interest in consistency in the game code. 

Invader mounts are the equivalent of blood-tasting animals.  It happens. Accept it.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 11:41:26 am »

Any creature appearing as an invader will always be hostile, whether or not it killed a dwarf.

Do invader mares turn against their offspring and kick them halfway across the map as soon as they leave the womb?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:12:24 pm »

The whole concept of "possible" implies that you have "logical, reasonable expectations" of a game which is 1) a game, 2) a fantasy game, and 3) an alpha-state fantasy game.

"Possible" is up to the imagination of the designer, and their interest in consistency in the game code. 

Invader mounts are the equivalent of blood-tasting animals.  It happens. Accept it.

Don't forget that this is DF, where straaaange things happen.

Also, invader mounts also give birth if left long enough. I once had a human siege where one of the horses gave birth to a foal, which was then shot to death by an archer.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:29:12 pm »

Which implies that the taste of dwarven blood is transfered congenitally.

Do invader mares turn against their offspring and kick them halfway across the map as soon as they leave the womb?

Ya know, I want to say that someone did report this, but I'm not sure. 

It wouldn't surprise me a bit, either way.   :P

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 02:38:11 pm »

Someone DID report this once, and I found the thread!  http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37225.0

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 06:12:22 pm »

I don't think anyone's ever successfully tamed an invader steed before. You might want to report this as a bug -- either they shouldn't be tamable or they should be properly tame.

I've 'tamed' several invader horses on my goblin maps. In fact, every horse that I've captured was tamable. They would just remain hostile after tamed, but they would exhibit invader behavior and try to run off the map.

They do. Leads to some funny moments when invader horses eat their young. Well, not eat, but brutally kill. The riders join in on the fun sometimes, too.

The offspring of invader mounts are not hostile, they can be tamed, and will be regular strays.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.