Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any good asian themed games?  (Read 6826 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any good asian themed games?
« on: October 15, 2009, 04:06:53 am »

Anyone able to recommend some asian/oriental themed games? Preferably within the abandonware/console emulator/free download category?

I've played Sword of the Samurai under dosbox. Enjoyed it, but beat it on maximum difficulty the second day of playing. I've played Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Enjoyed it...but I've played it to death. I haven't played Emperor: rise of the middle kingdom, but I've played just about every game in the Caesar/Pharoah lineage, and Emperor looks like a clone with minor graphics changes. I've played Mahjong extensively in real life. Not really what I'm looking for in a pc game, but yes, I've played it.

I see that there are a couple asian themed free MMORPGS, atlantica, jade dyansty, perfect world...but at a quick glance they all remind me of neopets. Which I've done, and once was enough.

Any recommendations?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Any good asian themed games?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 04:38:04 am »

What, do you have yellow fever for video games?

But seriously,
Shogun: Total War
AoE3: Asian Dynasties
Guild Wars: Factions

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 09:10:13 am »

well, if you dont mind oldschool and emulating... maybe have a look at
http://www.thehouseofgames.net/index.php?t=10&id=303

Jesster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 09:56:46 am »

Battle Realms is a fairly decent, Asian themed RTS.
Least I liked it well enough and I'm not even that big on RTS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Realms

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 10:31:36 am »

"emperor of qin" was pretty darned good.

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 01:04:37 am »

I remember playing Fate of the Dragon when I was a kid. It was a hellishly difficult game at the time, and it might still be now. You needed supply wagons loaded with food and wine when you went off to war, otherwise soldiers would starve or lose morale. If you wanted cavalry, you'd have to construct barracks, stables, then assign peasants to train in a barracks, then train horses, then train them for cavalry. And you needed functioning farms to produce food for everyone, and weaponsmiths to construct weapons...

It was very indepth, but it made for a sometimes tedious game.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:53:38 am »

Not to mention the heroes, whose loyalty you needed to keep up by giving them fancy hats and presents...

Funny thing about that was, I didn't realize that the ranks were LOWEST with the highest numbers, and HIGHEST with the lowest numbers,  I started off with giving my guys 1st, 2nd and 3rd rank positions, plus some pocket lint.

What's really cool about that is that they're so honored by your recognition that their loyalty will never drop again...  At least, I never saw it fall from 99.

And how the hell do you make wine from PIGS?

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 02:01:10 am »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII is my favourite. It's more of a simulation than any of the other games in the series (well, VII was simulation-ish as well). You can raise a personal army and rampage about, but you'll get your ass handed to you sooner than later. You can adventure around China, picking powerful artifacts before becoming a trusted general in a lesser noble's army and totally change history. Or you can sign up early, and slowly rise in rank and eventually run a whole district.

So many choices... Man. I wanna play now. >_<

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 02:30:31 am »

Jade Empire.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 03:16:39 pm »

Jade Empire.

I second this masterpiece.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 03:40:50 pm »

I found Throne of Darkness to be fun. It's a diablo clone, and not a masterpiece or anything, but it was good solid fun. And at this point it's probably either abandonware or really cheap.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One