Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Has DF made you do stupid things IRL?  (Read 3099 times)

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Re: Has DF made you do stupid things IRL?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2009, 03:45:12 pm »

as the others have said, using shift to try and move faster with the arrow keys. Also, pressing k when trying to look at the properties of a file and occasionaly pressing v instead of right clicking for a context menu.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 03:58:57 pm »

The pills are sedatives to keep them from jumping out of the pond and eating people during opening hours. When the zoo closes for the evening, the employee who picked the shortest straw has to dump a wheelbarrow full of babies into the pond to make up for the missed lunches.

Now I understand!  :o
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

snuflufagus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:08 pm »

I catch myself using tokens when describing things.  Like trying to use the concept of entities to explain fields and relativity.  I have also noticed that I tend to gawk like a yokel when I see large architecture now, too.

Tofu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »

Well DF has currently not made me do any stupid shit yet, except alienating my closest friends and family, coupled with a severe booze addiction.
But I have made a complete ass of myself in geography class, since the teacher was introducing the concept of "different layers of stone" and such, and I ofc went up screaming: "sedimentary layers? metamorphic layers?" And it actually only came to me why everybody was laughing AFTER class......I need cut down on the gaming.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 09:05:31 pm »

I sometimes also find myself wanting to use tags or DF terminology to describe things (not that i go ahead and do it, but I end up thinking for a minute about how to describe things like a normal person). Been a while since I accidentally used DF controls, but it happens.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2009, 11:24:51 pm »

i've startd calling  random people urist

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2009, 12:20:14 am »

I took a trip through Colorado recently, and spent a lot of time looking around for a good embark site.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2009, 12:37:49 am »

I am now fascinated by stones and architecture moreso than I was previously.

Also, I ask people why nobody eats cats, since they're abundant and parasitic. They stare at me strangely.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2009, 02:11:46 am »

I failed to realize my clothes were on fire once. But that was really more incidental to playing Dwarf Fortress than a result of it.
Now I think about it, I once set my hair on fire without noticing. That was years before I discovered DF, but still kinda dorfish.
Oh god, I think it's a fate then. I once set my foot on fire (shoe) near a campfire without noticing it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2009, 06:46:25 am »

I've chosen eating or wearing her pet cat as a topic of conversation with more then one attractive female.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2009, 10:49:49 pm »

I bet that makes her want to introduce you to her pussycat  :-X
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2009, 11:21:05 pm »

I dream of terrible things happening to my fortresses at night - it usually has to do with cave-ins or mass flooding and being unable to stop the resulting tantrum spiral.  I'll actually wake up in the morning and really want to snag a few minutes of DF before work just to make sure what I dreamt didn't really happen.  I haven't yet, but it keeps me thinking about it all day.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

zecro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2009, 12:47:30 am »

On my way to the bus there was a large roadkilled raccoon for several months. Every time I passed by it I would think "Rotting Raccoon Corpose. Rotting Raccoon Hide. Raccoon bones." I was disgusted by a miasma a few times, too.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2009, 02:32:36 am »

Fun fact: Most programs can be modified so that > and < actually do work. They're useful for changing tabs in Firefox, for example.

TBot Alpha

• Bay Watcher
  • TBot Alpha has gone insane!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2009, 04:41:03 am »

I think the worst I've done was when I was explaining the game to a non-player and mentioned the practice of butchering kittens. Of course to me, knowing the context of the kitten-slaughter makes me feel justified in doing it. But I forgot how nasty that would sound to a non-player, which earned me some odd looks as I offhandedly mentioned the butchery of my cats.
Quote from: Mr. Mcguffin
After six dwarves died via suicide brigade tactics, the alliphant retreated a few steps, and then exploded.

Best. Game. Ever.

My miner fell in an underground sea of magma while wrestling a troglodyte in mid-air.
Pages: 1 [2] 3