Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fluid interactions  (Read 688 times)

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fluid interactions
« on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:00 am »

7 depth magma can currently be wiped out by 1 depth of water (and vice versa)... I'd like to suggest that when they meet, they consume each other until the one with the greater depth remains (1-1 or whatever ratio you'd like)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fluid interactions
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 04:43:00 pm »

1/7 water also freezes into 7/7 of ice.

Klokjammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Well, water does expand when it becomes ice.  Although I think to harden magma, the amount water has to be much greater in the water to magma ratio.  Something must be done about that.
Code: [Select]
g  <-  This is a goat
g  <-  This is a goblin mason
g  <-  This is a gremlin covered in white paint

Does everyone understand the difference now?

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 01:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Klokjammer:
<STRONG>Well, water does expand when it becomes ice.</STRONG>
Sure, but what actually happens is
x/7 water -> Ice wall -> 7/7 water
, so it's not so much expanding as cloning/multiplying.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:35:00 pm »

Shallow water should freeze into a floor.  I think there are different ice floor tiles for levels 1 to 3, and 4+ will turn into a wall (that melts back into 7).  If it isn't doing that, it's a bug.

As for the suggestion itself, I'm not sure, since you'd have 7 water + 6 magma = 1 water, and either no obsidian or an obsidian floor, which seems odd.  I don't remember how much it takes to make an obsidian wall right now, come to think of it.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dagonus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Shallow water should freeze into a floor.  I think there are different ice floor tiles for levels 1 to 3, and 4+ will turn into a wall (that melts back into 7).  If it isn't doing that, it's a bug.
</STRONG>

I know I've never seen an ice floor, just walls.

<P>The only difference between a bug and a feature is documentation.

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

quote:
Shallow water should freeze into a floor. I think there are different ice floor tiles for levels 1 to 3, and 4+ will turn into a wall (that melts back into 7). If it isn't doing that, it's a bug.

I'm playing a glacial fortress right now. It works as described.

Come to think of it, the same could be done for this suggestion:
1-3 water + 1-3 magma = obsidian floor and any water/magma that's left
1-3 water + 4+ magma = obsidian floor with leftover magma
4+ water + 1-3 magma = obsidian floor with leftover water
4+ water + 4+ magma = obsidian wall
The only problem with this is that obsidian doesn't accumulate if there are just low levels of liquids meeting at the same point, resulting in nothing but an obsidian floor no matter how much liquid is wasted.

iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 02:15:00 pm »

Perhaps it'd create an obsidian rock on the tile if the floor was already obsidian, and if there's already an obsidian rock on the square, make it an obsidian wall?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 03:00:00 pm »

Was wondering what would happen if I flooded a volcano with water...

shouldn't water meeting magma turn to steam, distributing heat to nearby tiles?

eg dunno if heatlevel of magma is tracked, but magma should only be cooled to obsidian if covered by at least a fill level of water(or adjecent to on same level.
maybe Lava would be cooled to magma then to obsidian, turning two equivalent amounts of water into 10 vulumes of scalding steam that tries to escape upwards.
conversely maybe lava could heat magma up to lava again. (lava being generated periodically from bottom of the magma-tube.

could make for interesting broil-traps.
(only 7/7 of steam should be deadly. Less, from spreading, would be harmless  even enjoyable mist, or just less dangerous.)
Dwarven sauna!  :D

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 03:27:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:23:05 pm by penguinofhonor »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Areyar:
<STRONG>Was wondering what would happen if I flooded a volcano with water...</STRONG>

Depends on if you drop water in the middle, near a side, or from the side.

I've done all three.

If you flood from the side it basically makes an obsidian ceiling on the magma tube.

If you flood near the side, eventually, it'll do the same thing, only you'll have an obsidian stalagtite plunging down to some point where it meets the side of the tube.  Same thing happens if you have an acutal bottom.

If you flood from the middle you get an ass load of "the cavern has collapsed" followed by obsidian walls falling to their doom down the bottom of the pipe.  At the top you get mist, magma-mist, and a lowering elevation of magma (as you turn it into obsidian which falls out the bottom of the map).

BTW, magma mist is mist made of magma and BURNS like crazy.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 07:23:00 pm »

@penguin:

No I haven't or I'd be tasty meat.  ;)
but as 1/7 unit of water turns into many 7/7 of steam, the place where the steam thins out is many spaces away and thus cooled down a bit.

Anyhow, turns out steam is already coded and people have made some pretty slick broiling traps.

Maybe when (?) heat is coded, condensation could be used as an alternative indoor-irrigation method.

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link