Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resource limitations to skilling up  (Read 1084 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resource limitations to skilling up
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:42 am »

So, I have decided that my next experiment is going to be to replicate Morul, The Most Interesting Dwarf In The World.  But of course, simply doing what's been done before is boring.  So I'm going to build a sort of Tower of Learning, that could, in theory, crank out Moruls.

This'll require a lot of resources.  A *lot* lot of resources.  So I want to take care of logistic problems before this even starts.  So what do I need, in terms of resources, to train for skills?

Stone (for Mining, Masonry, Mechanics, Engraving, Stone Crafter, Siege Operator): Obsidian farm provides unlimited stone.

Plants (Cook, Brewer, Dyer, Grower, Herbalist, Miller, Thresher, Herbalist, Weaver, Clothier): Farms, done.  Herbalist is sort of the exception, but simply seems more annoying than anything else -- embark in a non-tundra environment, and gathering should be slow but essentially infinite.

Wood (for Carpentry, Bowyer, Wood Cutter, Siege Engineer, Wood Crafter, Wood Burner, Lye Maker, Potash Maker): Traders, tower cap farms, and/or embarking in a heavily forested area should make this annoying, but doable, much like Herbalist.

Glass (for Glassmaker): Glass is unlimited.

Gems (Gem Cutter, Gem Setter): Glass provides unlimited gems.

So those are the easy ones.  Now the come the hard ones that I'm less sure of.

Adamantine (Strand Extractor): The most obvious limit -- HFS simply isn't going to provide for enough adamantine to get two dwarves to legendary strand extractor.

Metal (Armorsmith, Furnace Operator, Metal Crafter, Metalsmith, Weaponsmith): Next to adamantine, shouldn't be a problem.  Goblins in theory provide an infinite amount of ore, but it seems that after awhile, they stop attacking? 

Fish (Fisherdwarf, Fish Cleaner, Fish Dissector): In theory, fish should be infinite, right?  But I've read repeatedly about forts that have been fished to extinction.  Is there a known way of avoiding it?  A known way of repopulating the fish?  As for Fish Dissector, am I correct that the only fish that can be dissected is the moghopper?  Any way of guaranteeing there are moghoppers in the embark?

Tame Animals (Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Animal Caretaker, Soaper): Should be infinite.

Wild Animals (Ambusher, Animal Trainer, Trapper, Animal Dissector, Milking): Same question as fish, really: since it seems possible to have forts hunt animals to extinction, how to avoid this, or how to correct it after the fact?

Milk (Cheesemaker): Assuming I can get legendary Milkers, getting legendary Cheesemakers seems to go along with that.  Can also be supplemented by the traders.

So the big limitations seem to me to be:

1) Adamantine.
2) Moghoppers.  Need to embark on a savage(?) area with ponds?
3) Purring maggots.  Need to embark on a chasm.
4) Wild, butcherable animals.  So no evil undead areas.
5) Outdoor plants/trees.  So no freezing/scorching areas.

Right now, what I'm thinking is this:

Use the orc mod.  AFAIK, the orcs *never* stop attacking, unlike the goblins.  Is this true? 

Mod the orcs to use adamantine instead of iron. 

That only leaves the vermin skills -- Trapper, Animal Dissector, Fish Dissector, and Milker.  Thoughts?
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Resource limitations to skilling up
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:11 pm »

Animal Trainer can be quickly leveled up by ordering a wild creature to be tamed on repeat - the dwarf will keep on bringing it more and more food, gaining skill each time.

Milking only requires a single purring maggot, since they're reusable, and if you can find one then you can find dozens of them. The only limit is time, and making sure that the maggots don't get eaten (which can be accomplished through some micromanagement).

Trappers are easy to train to legendary since they get experience from making traps, and traps can be made from either wood or from metal, both of which are mostly infinite. They also get experience from baiting traps, so that's always another option.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 12:58:32 pm »

Stone (for Mining, Masonry, Mechanics, Engraving, Stone Crafter, Siege Operator): Obsidian farm provides unlimited stone.
Time-consuming, you'll need to wait while pipe fill up the drained layers.

1) Adamantine.
I'd mod the plant to produce raw.

Use the orc mod.  AFAIK, the orcs *never* stop attacking, unlike the goblins.  Is this true? 
The most i can get out of them - 20yr fortress, about 8000 killed goblins/orcs/orxz/ogres (all of them i mod myself).
Every season, 5-6-7 attacks and sieges by groups of 16 units each.

Better to repel with slash weapons, thus getting more bones.

Mod the orcs to use adamantine instead of iron. 
That's bad idea unless you don't mind to set the PERC metal tags at least equal to iron not higher.

That only leaves the vermin skills -- Trapper, Animal Dissector, Fish Dissector, and Milker.  Thoughts?
You're plagiating. Uck it. Invent a megaproject and embody it.
Finis sanctificat media.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:29:42 pm »

If you capture a group of wild animals of the same species and both sexes, and confine them in a room (but not in a cage) they will breed more.  Through clever use of remote-controlled doors and drawbridges you can arrange a controlled, inexhaustible supply of wild animals.  You just need to be sure when releasing them hunting that they can't make it to the map edge, which they will attempt to do at any opportunity.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:46:17 pm »

You need raw adamantine for strand extraction.  Giving it to orcs won't help.  You could remove the [DEEP] tag and just buy from dwarves, although you'd only get 4 per caravan.  So you'd have to cheat some way with reactions most likely.  Plant reaction or obsidian mod filtering or smelt the metal and a stone back to raw for practice.

Need water for swimming but should have that with moghopper ponds.

Limit for appraiser/record keeping can only be one at a time.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:16:27 pm »

Also, record keeping stops training once you reach maximum precision, and it won't start up again until you produce enough objects to actually require updating stockpile records - thus, while your first record keeper will hit Legendary ridiculously quickly, any subsequent ones will take a very long time to level up.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 02:58:19 pm »

Since I'm intending on creating a huge (600+ per dwarf per skill) number of objects *anyways*, I think the record keeper will always have something to do.

Dissection can only happen on vermin, correct? 
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:23:59 pm »

Correct. Furthermore, dissection can only be done on specific types of vermin - cave spiders and fire snakes. Said vermin do have limited numbers, though, so it wouldn't be possible to train an arbitrary number of dwarves to Legendary in it, but if you embarked in a region with enough special features (magma pipe and magma pool for max fire snakes, underground pool + river + chasm + pit for cave spiders), you could probably manage quite a lot of them.

There's also the annoying issue that said vermin can only be dissected when they are not tame, and in that state they can also be eaten by passing dwarves.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:43 am »

If you capture a group of wild animals of the same species and both sexes, and confine them in a room (but not in a cage) they will breed more.  Through clever use of remote-controlled doors and drawbridges you can arrange a controlled, inexhaustible supply of wild animals.  You just need to be sure when releasing them hunting that they can't make it to the map edge, which they will attempt to do at any opportunity.
This done for Morul by having a huge underground Tower Cap farm that doubled as an animal preserve that the wild animals were released into for hunting.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:40:16 am by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 10:13:10 am »

If the obsidian farm doesn't operate fast enough, you could try putting it right on the very bottom of the pipe. You could get walls of obsidian from 1/7 and 2/7 magma without waiting for multiple layers to fill.

I like the idea of the orcs bringing the adamantine, even if you have to use reactions to make it raw. They could very well need that adamantine anyway to be worthwhile opponents for a gang of moruls.

Does anybody know if vermin could be modded to reproduce at high speed?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 11:11:20 am »

I don't think vermin can reproduce at all, since they don't have a gender assigned to them.

It should be possible to smelt them, though I don't know if they'd be generated wild or tame.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 12:23:12 pm »

You'll also want to consider easy disposal of the crafted items. You fort will be clogged.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:34:10 pm »

Does anybody know if vermin could be modded to reproduce at high speed?
Cave spiders and fire snakes have [POPULATION_NUMBER:250:500] by default.

Fire snakes have [FREQUENCY:100] by default. Wiki indicates removal would be helpful: Creatures without a frequency statement appear to be on the map at all times.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.