Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibility: Ages names after age occurs +History themes  (Read 897 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possibility: Ages names after age occurs +History themes
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:30:58 am »

So I was speaking to my brother and we got into an arguement about basically movies and television.

While this was happening I noticed something. I refered to Silent era and Black and White era noticing that by far that isn't what they likely called it at the time (Black and White Era would have been called by the Talkie era or something like that)

It made me realise that a lot of the time what we refer to an age as is not always what was used at the time in abundance but often what was outdated or changed in the age that overtook it.

Ages should be able to obtain names in history, especially if there is a multitude of histories for each civilisation, based on what happens afterwords.

For example a demon begins to control of the majority of the world, because of this the history should refer to the time before the demon occured as "The Tranquil Ages"

----------------------
Second Suggestion (probably already in there but still)

Currently the game writes history according to some sort of omnisentient world history, but each race likely has their own view of history.

The issue on hand is that each race should also have a different focus on what is important as far as history is concerned. Dwarves for example may put more value on periods of time where they obtained great wealth more then any sort of strife they may have faced at the time.

Elves may actually refer to ages where the encroachment of forest destroying races as horrible times.

I have to go. So Ill end my post here

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
Re: Possibility: Ages names after age occurs +History themes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:33:23 pm »

Elf Historian : "We have declared the last four hundred years the Golden Age, as fourteen whole trees have taken root. Our Kingdom has lost four retreats and all of our leaders, but look at those saplings!"

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 03:36:03 am »

Sounds like a good idea. But wouldnt it mess up world gen a little?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 05:10:35 pm »

Comparative age names as in the demon example would be interesting.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 05:18:51 pm »

Sounds like a good idea. But wouldnt it mess up world gen a little?

World Gen wouldn't change, events would all stay the same...  The 'age names' are statements about the condition of the world.  It's possible that multiple ages might be active at the same time.  Tying different ages definitions back to races would be trivial. 

Thus, you could have a 'Golden Age of the Elves' ('Golden Age', Elf) active at the same time as 'The Age of Cannibals' ('Age of Cannibals', Dwarf, Human) at the same time as the ('Age of Forests', Kobold) and the ('Reign of Viklesnark', Goblin).  The Kobolds only notice lots of trees (because no one else is cutting them down), while the Goblins only track time by which megabeast they are in thrawl to.  The different ages could 'happen' as they become true, and be stored as worldgen events irrespective of anything else.