Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tabletop games  (Read 1699 times)

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tabletop games
« on: October 14, 2009, 12:15:55 am »

Specifically roleplaying tabletops i guess, but feel free to discuss others too (warhammer, etc.)  I've been playing Shadowrun for a long while, and I love it, but I was thinking it would be nice to try somethin' else.  I was wonderin' if anyone here has some suggestions for games to try.  I've played DnD, Exalted and Werewolf: The Forsaken (the acronym for that last one is WTF, btw) they were all okay, but I didn't really get into any of them.  DnD is great, but I get tired of the "basic" fantasy setting. 

I was thinking about trying Legend of the Five Rings, it seems kinda neat, but the website for it is confusing...  I can't find um... just a list of books w/ perhaps some info about them/prices lol.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop games
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 12:55:25 am »

Savage Worlds. Don't like basic fantasy? Fine, there's about four dozen different SW settings from sky-pirates in floating islands to comic-book style superheroes, and everything in between.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:29 am »

I've never played any roleplaying games, it's not that I'm uninterested but rather that I know nobody else, in person, who is interested.

On the topic of tabletop games in general however I have been playing a lot of space hulk recently. Is there anyone else addicted to this at the moment?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:02:36 am »

Eclipse Phase. Several of the people who worked on Shadow Run also worked on EP.
!!&!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:04:30 am »

I like GURPS, ultra detailed and simple at the same time.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:47:19 am »

*Gigantic Double-Take*

What?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:15:21 am »

*Gigantic Double-Take*

What?

Also, damn, their real-fantasy world.

Becoming a Muslim Axe-dwarf and wreck havoc on the Polytheistic Elves?

WANT

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 03:25:30 am »

I love the world of darkness. The supernatural creatures and realms are strange, twisted and often not without evil, but with the potential for good, just how I like it. Plus, Sin-eaters are awesome.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:25 am »

QAGS.  Best role-play system I've ever used, and in fact the only one I'd be willing to use now.  Extremely simple and easy to get started, and no looking at tables and crap all the time and arguing about technical details.  It's not about realism, it's about telling an good story.  It provides a structure (which involves CANDY!) and some basic rules, and the rest is about having fun.  In a typical role-play system like DnD it would be impossible to have a James Bond character who runs across the catwalk being fired upon by twenty guys with machine guns and have all the bullets bounce off the railings, but in QAGS, you can do that (at a price, of course).  You can have action-movie settings, comedy settings, real-life settings, fantasy settings, whatever you want.  Creating new monsters is as easy as deciding how intelligent, strong, and brave they are, and a couple of basic skills.  Quick and easy.  NPCs are the same way.

You can actually get the most basic rules and a character sheet for free at www.hexgames.com, then buy the manual if you want more.  Also, I wrote an expansion for the game, a new setting called "Herland," which everyone is more than welcome to check out...  It's all in PDF so it's only a few dollars.

Is there anyone still around who was in my QAGS Dwarf Fortress campaign a few years back?  Good times were most certainly had by all.  In fact, I started turning the campaign logs into an epic story, but never finished...  You are welcome to read what I had so far here: The Gentle Stout Wanderers of Slaying

Maybe I'll even finish them now that I'm reminded of it.

You can also read the actual game logs here and get a sense of how a game is run: Game Logs

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 04:45:23 am »

In a typical role-play system like DnD it would be impossible to have a James Bond character who runs across the catwalk being fired upon by twenty guys with machine guns and have all the bullets bounce off the railings

Actually it's entirely possible, but whatever.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 04:51:30 am »

*Gigantic Double-Take*

Indeed.  I've spent five years trying to find somebody else anywhere who likes GURPS as much as I do.  I've never played a game and it's my favorite TTRPG system just by principles.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:19:27 am »

Eclipse Phase. Several of the people who worked on Shadow Run also worked on EP.

I looked at EP, actually, when it was mentioned on these forums somewhere else.  Honestly it looks really, really weird.  The idea of being able to switch out your character's body and stuff pretty much blew my brain up.  I'm not sure I'm ready for that level of sci-fi abstraction, you know?  Even though they're just imaginary characters, their physical bodies are still a big part of their identities for me, to the point that I consider sketching the character an important part of character creation.

I've heard of GURPS, a bit, as I understand it, it's basically an all-purpose system that can be applied to just about any setting?  Does it have any settings of it's own?  I guess I should've specified, the world the game is set in and the way the characters fit in is much more important to me than how the rules actually work.

As for QAGS, not sure about that.  To be honest, I prefer the type of game where the character running along your hypothetical catwalk would get ripped apart by gunfire.  I suppose I can see the value of a game run in an action movie style, but usually I like meaner, more "realistic" games.  perhaps I'll check it out.

Vattic brings up a similar quandary that I find myself in, actually.  Having recently moved I find myself without a solid group to play with.  I'm sure I'll be able to work something out, but have any of you played this sort of game over the net?  I've seen games played through forum threads before, but that's a little too slow for me.  I personally have GM'ed several shadowrun missions via an IRC channel and one over Ventrilo.  Loses some of the fun of the dice roll and such, but it's still pretty fun.  For the IRC version, I wrote out descriptions for some scenes before hand and I got to have my NPC characters speak "in character" without having to make a fool of myself.

Savage worlds sounds kind of interesting, though I'm wary of any system which has several settings like that.  They often come out feeling half-finished to me.  Do you have a link for it?

whew, think I covered all the bases.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:24:51 am »

*Gigantic Double-Take*

Indeed.  I've spent five years trying to find somebody else anywhere who likes GURPS as much as I do.  I've never played a game and it's my favorite TTRPG system just by principles.

I've heard that it's ideal for simulationists, and by that token, many DF players.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 05:47:06 am »

I've heard of GURPS, a bit, as I understand it, it's basically an all-purpose system that can be applied to just about any setting?  Does it have any settings of it's own?  I guess I should've specified, the world the game is set in and the way the characters fit in is much more important to me than how the rules actually work.

Sort of.  Technically, it has no official setting, but realistically it has two genuinely mainline supported settings (or maybe three).  One, GURPS's answer to bog standard fantasy - Yrth AKA Banestorm.  Instead of mucking about with a pretend world that just happens to look like medieval Europe with sorcerers, it out and out takes a big chunk of Crusades era Earth and smashes it into a Tolkein-esque fantasy world.  Like IWM mentioned, this includes real world religions and peoples, all turned on their magic heads.

The other is The Infinity Corp, or whatever it's called.  Basically multiverse-hopping Time Cops which serve as a free license for the GM to make up any world he wants.  There's also the Traveller setting, which used to be it's own game way before GURPS, but it went out of business and essentially sold itself to Steve Jackson to keep the dream alive.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 06:02:23 am »

Also.

Trying to mix Banestorm and Infinity Corps...

Would be GLORIOUS.

An alliance of the Dwarven Jihadists, Goblin Crusaders, Reich-5, and Centrum would be strong enough to properly punch out Cthulhu (in his dream mode only, I'm afraid)
Pages: [1] 2