Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Base-Building Games  (Read 4789 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Base-Building Games
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:00:59 pm »

Basically, I love traditional RTSes where you build awesome bases of DOOM. C&C, DOW, etc. It's like you're building a huge city with the singular purpose of destorying a nearby city. That was awesome.

Any recommendation for cool base-building games? No SimCity or anything, I want a game where you build a base with the sole purpose of attacking another base.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Base-Building Games
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »

I'd be trite not to mention Total Annihilation.  Especially on Core maps, where you get constant unlimited metal.

The line "building a base with the sole purpose of attacking another base" is hilariously apropos because of all the awesome artillery turrets and so forth.  You could win battles without building a single soldier if you were good enough, just keep building concentric walls of turrets until your bases smash into each other's firing ranges like anemone colonies.

One time me and a friend even tried playing a game like that - only defensive structures and building units.  It was a little more boring than I thought it'd be.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:52:33 pm »

Supreme Commander is also okay. Based on Total Annihilation.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:27 pm »

The line "building a base with the sole purpose of attacking another base" is hilariously apropos because of all the awesome artillery turrets and so forth.  You could win battles without building a single soldier if you were good enough, just keep building concentric walls of turrets until your bases smash into each other's firing ranges like anemone colonies.
This seems suspiciously familiar.

I was going to suggest a game from the 1602 series, but the base management turns to economic superpowering rather than military domination. And it's SLOOOOOWWWWWWWWW.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 01:19:05 am »

Try 'Earth 2150'.  Base building was interesting in there, letting you place weapons on noncombat buildings, customize the turrets, manage your power supply and eventually build "press this button to end the world"-style superweapons (well, alright, so you'd need to build about eight missile silos to completely eradicate an enemy base, but it was fun).

But the unit building is just too interesting to pass up.  And chances are, you'll need a little more versatility than just the stuff that doesn't move.  It includes various different ways of acquiring resources, based on the game mode you set up before launching a match.  You had a standard game mode where you needed to mine them out from the ground, "Uncle Sam" mode where every player gets a set allowance every few minutes, and I think they even had a capture point mode.

Check out the demo for Earth 2150: Lost Souls.  It's rather extensive, and will show you pretty much what the game is all about.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:13:58 am »

I'd be trite not to mention Total Annihilation.  Especially on Core maps, where you get constant unlimited metal.

One time me and a friend even tried playing a game like that - only defensive structures and building units.  It was a little more boring than I thought it'd be.

Ah, yes ... where are my instalation CDs?
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 08:33:44 am »

Sounds like stronghold multiplayer (which you cna play against bots) to me.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 08:41:14 am »

You could try Warzone 2100.
I just spent two-and-a-half hours teching to Orbital Lasers.
I had won about an hour and forty-five minutes ago, but I wanted to see the most powerful weapon.

My Armageddon tanks were insanely powerful, able to destroy a heavy cannon hardpoint in one shot with their plasma cannons.
Not to mention my army of Fireflies(aircraft armed with pulse lasers).

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 09:38:41 am »

Sounds like stronghold multiplayer (which you cna play against bots) to me.

Can be a very long match however, even more with players on a default game speed. Hours, I'm talking. Totally worth it.

Unless you get carried away.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 12:35:14 pm »

Seconding Stronghold.

Also, there was this game where you have nothing but buildings, which have to be connected to your existing building network, and which shot stuff at enemy buildings. The game was Moon themed and quite fun. I can't remember the exact name, but I think it was something along the lines of Moonbase, Lunar Colony or something like that.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »

earth 2150 for sure.
great rts .
you can tunnel and shit too.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 01:37:05 pm »

Mechanized Assault and Exploration (M.A.X.)

It's turn based, but otherwise falls in the same genre. It has far deeper strategy than the rts games. The different buildings and stationary weapons in your base need to be connected by connectors to allow transfer of fuel, power, ammo and resources, different types of defense turrets have their own strengths and weaknesses, and need to be combined with radar installations if they want to be able to see their enemies. There is a very elegant but very flexible system for upgrading your units, all this makes base building and overal strategy a very complex but rewarding experience.

I think you'll need dosbox to play. Despite it's age the game still looks good today.
Make sure you play max 1, and not max 2, that title pretty much destroyed all that was good about the first. Apparently the entire genre died with the failure of the second title. Oh how I would love to see a max 3...

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 03:06:44 pm »

If somebody mentions Total Annihilation, I have to mention my new pastime, Balanced Annihilation, though I'm horrid at it.
TA: SPring is much more epic. Much. More. It's TA on Steroids
TA: Spring. Ta: Spring uses it own engine, it's totally freeware, it doesnt violate any rights, so...
Essentially a slightly prettified 3D TA with a decent UI and an apparently more "Balanced" game play. For some reason, people tend to consider it hard to install. I don't see the problem, however, I just downloaded the Engine and the Balanced Annihilation module and was done with it.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 10:08:13 pm »

3rd stronghold, look into Majesty thats coming out

engy

• Bay Watcher
  • Military | Science | Consumer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 06:51:50 am »

Seconding Stronghold.

Also, there was this game where you have nothing but buildings, which have to be connected to your existing building network, and which shot stuff at enemy buildings. The game was Moon themed and quite fun. I can't remember the exact name, but I think it was something along the lines of Moonbase, Lunar Colony or something like that.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/perimeter

There is a Perimeter 2, however, not as good.
Pages: [1] 2