Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dawn of War 2  (Read 2858 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War 2
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 09:02:16 pm »

In my humble opinion, your money is better spent buying Dark Crusade and Soulstorm. Why both? There's this little mod called Firestorm over Kronus, which makes Dark Crusade at least twice as awesome in multiplayer.

They're expanding it soon into Firestorm over Kaurava, for Soulstorm.

So what does this mod add? A detailed list would probably be too long to post here, but here's the essential bits. Ever faction rebalanced, the combat system retooled to more accurately reflect the tabletop rules while still maintaining the gameplay style. A few other things changed are that units can now only reinforce near by listening posts and transport vehicles, similar to Dawn of War 2, same with wargear, but I think you can only upgrade that near listening posts.

New units and models? Too many to list. The Imperial Guard for examples gains access to some inquisition units, and Grey Knight Space Marines, which are pretty awesome. Black Templars are added as an independent faction on their own, and are also pretty awesome. Chaos is no longer just Khornate; you get access to a Chaos Undivided army list, with the option to choose a God to specialize. To be more clear, whereas before you basically only had Chaos Marines, Khornate Berserkers, and a few other variations. In Firestorm over Kronus, you get access to Plague Marines, Rubric Marines, and Noise Marines, along with a lot of other relevant units to go along with them.

The Nightbringer is now an HQ unit for the Necrons, and the Necrons now gain and use requisition like any other faction.

I think I've made it clear, it's a complete overhaul, and incredible. Get it.
!!&!!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Cool.

Okay, I finished the demo. It's a long one, which rocked. More demos need to be that long.

I've re-evaluated my thoughts.

I. Love. This. Game.

I really don't know why I love it so much, but the whole thing was great. Great fun, great gameplay, not too easy, not too hard, just generally a good time. One complaint, Orks tend to fall like dominoes but hell, they're Orks.

It has many things to do with this thread that do not pertain to wither of you.

Enlighten me. Seriously, I want to know. You brought it up.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:47:56 pm by Jackrabbit »

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 10:03:55 pm »

Stuff about Warhammer, killings, and stupidity.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 10:05:57 pm »

So, you had a falling out with a friend over Dawn of War?

If you'd said that I'd have had no problem.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:32 pm »

So, you had a falling out with a friend over Dawn of War?

If you'd said that I'd have had no problem.
Not.....not exactly.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2009, 03:47:10 am »

I didn't even notice DoW2 come out when it did. This surprised me, as I thought myself hyped enough to pay attention - the concept of the game was much more interesting than that of the original DoW (if you really must describe DoW2 as "Company of Heroes with 40k skins" then DoW is "Generic RTS with 40k skins").

However, the release did manage to pass me by, and after having read about it enough, I'm nowhere near as interested as I once was. From what I've heard there's absolutely bugger-all to balance, which was acceptable up to a point with the original DoW because Relic released a public devkit, but as nothing along those lines other than the map editor has been released for DoW2, I'm just going to have to give it a miss until either Relic get it right and the community response improves or the tools are released so someone who's actually bothered can fix the game.

DoW total conversion

This, however, sounds very interesting. I'll take a look.
Pages: 1 2 [3]