Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dawn of War 2  (Read 2863 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Dawn of War 2
« on: October 13, 2009, 06:00:24 pm »

I really liked this game. You have your Space Marines, Orks, Eldar, and Tyranids.

And Last Stand is coming out tomorrow!!!

Who else has this that will want to play Last Stand Friday?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of War 2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 06:35:57 pm »

I kept trying to play the demo to DoWII, but it just gave me this error about lacking something from Windows Live.  I haven't been able to see any of it in action.

I would like to see some tyranids rippin' it up though...   Mmm, aliens...

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 07:04:48 pm »

I never really got into DoW2, it just seemed to me like Company of Heroes with 40k skins.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 07:06:38 pm »

I wish I had a computer that could play DoW  :'(

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 07:09:17 pm »

The tyranids.

They ooze.

They ooze so prettily.

Seriously, awesome detail.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:54 pm »

I bought it having loved DoW and its expansions. It was... mediocre a horrible disappointment (oddly, as is almost every game I bother buying, while those I... acquire otherwise tend to be great...). The main campaign gameplay was decent; the multiplayer was absurdly terrible. The expansion sounds retarded, too. Relic's gone to hell, it seems. Such a fucking shame.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 11:07:15 pm »

Looks like fun, what's it like? I'll buy it in about a year or so.

It's how I roll.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 11:30:11 pm »

Squad based tactical combat. Most of the "tactics" amount to setting a unit behind cover or in a building. Until you get terminator honors for all of them, and you can just have them stand in the open (they can't use cover in terminator armor anyways) slaughtering anything and everything without any problems. Oh, and you have the same four squads (five if you count the commander, six if you count the canned corpse) throughout the game, each led by an annoying asshole, whom you level up and give equipment to. Your troops appear to be fluff marines, and they easily slaughter the hordes of shitty enemy units (which are the units you play with in multiplayer, by the way).

It's fun for a while, then it gets repetitive and methodical, with the same strategy tending to work against anything (especially once you get the canned corpse to draw fire and generally bash the fuck out of anything in its way). Oh, and none of the characters can die, only the redshirts surrounding them. Named characters just get knocked out and lie on the ground like pussies until another named character wanders over and kicks them in the head a few times. Boss fights are a tedious grind, as they need to be shot thousands of times before they finally die, I remember one of the last ones took over an hour to kill (an unusually obnoxious fight, that one).

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 11:39:04 pm »

Don't forget the fact that they can run through buildings.

Also: the Marines are fluff Marines, but unfortunately the Eldar are balanced Eldar, whereas fluff Eldar would be, like, literally dodging every single bolter round. And the IG are barely even in the goddamn game.

As far as I'm concerned, I bought it to watch Tyranids ooze while they eat space elves.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 04:57:07 am »

Sounds bad.

Still, videos and reviews make it sound good, so I'll probably buy the demo and form an opinion then.

I did like your dreadnought description. Heh.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:14:48 am »

The main character Force Commander is a sad replacement for Davian Thule and Gabriel Angelos.

(who are both still in the game. but still.)

Also he uses too much hair gel.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:58 am »

Damn.

I was wrong at buying DoW II.

I expect LARGE SCALE GRIMDARK BATTLE, not some gritty emo superhuman squads.

Must, buy, DOW:Necro

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:07:54 am »

Squad based tactical combat. Most of the "tactics" amount to setting a unit behind cover or in a building. Until you get terminator honors for all of them, and you can just have them stand in the open (they can't use cover in terminator armor anyways) slaughtering anything and everything without any problems. Oh, and you have the same four squads (five if you count the commander, six if you count the canned corpse) throughout the game, each led by an annoying asshole, whom you level up and give equipment to. Your troops appear to be fluff marines, and they easily slaughter the hordes of shitty enemy units (which are the units you play with in multiplayer, by the way).

It's fun for a while, then it gets repetitive and methodical, with the same strategy tending to work against anything (especially once you get the canned corpse to draw fire and generally bash the fuck out of anything in its way). Oh, and none of the characters can die, only the redshirts surrounding them. Named characters just get knocked out and lie on the ground like pussies until another named character wanders over and kicks them in the head a few times. Boss fights are a tedious grind, as they need to be shot thousands of times before they finally die, I remember one of the last ones took over an hour to kill (an unusually obnoxious fight, that one).
Except for Multi-Player. Its always fun.

There are only 5 squads! THERE ARE NO SCOUTS! THERE NEVER WERE ANY!

SCOUTS? HERESY!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:18:18 am »

Except for Multi-Player. Its always excruciatingly terrible.
Fixed that for you.

Unless they ramped up the carnage with balance patches, then it might be ok. I haven't had the heart or internets to try it again since the first few weeks after I got it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:13:03 am by Sir Pseudonymous »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 11:11:15 am »

Sounds bad.

Still, videos and reviews make it sound good, so I'll probably buy the demo and form an opinion then.

I did like your dreadnought description. Heh.

Wait what, you have to buy demos now?
Pages: [1] 2 3