Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to add in new races, but can't seem to do it.  (Read 803 times)

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to add in new races, but can't seem to do it.
« on: October 13, 2009, 04:15:08 pm »

First, I am just wanting to play with modding for fun. As of yet, I am not trying to do anything specific.

I wanted to add in some new races. I copied humans, changed everything to make my ridiculous centipede people. I generated a new world, but my centipede people never ended up in the game, legends only had the standard races.

I figured I must have broken something, as I do not know what I am doing. So I revert the file back to standard and instead just copy and paste humans and change their name.

Still, they simply don't show up. I can't see how I could have broken anything due to not having done anything.

What am I doing wrong?

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to add in new races, but can't seem to do it.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »

Modding can be difficult due to if you have 1 word mistyped, your mod may not work. When I am making a new civ, check to make sure that everything is typed right, make sure there strong enough to survive other races, change one thing at a time if your new to modding, like the name, change the name, make a new world, and see that your civ is still there, if it is, then start changing the smaller stuff.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:10:29 pm »

Did you make a new entity file with the creature set as your centipede?
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:41:32 pm »

If you give us the raw entries then we could probably tell you what you are doing wrong.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JakeTamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 10:19:11 am »

Did you make a new entity file with the creature set as your centipede?

See, I don't even know what the means. I was told there were no guides to doing this, so I am just looking through the raw files trying to see how everything works.

I just edited the file (I may have the name off, I don't have a copy of DF at school) creature_standard and added in my race. Is that not right?

And no potential for misspellings or being too weak on my second attempt, as it was literally a copy and paste of humans just with a different name.

(Though, being too weak would be a potential problem for my centipede people, once I can figure out how to get them to actually be put in the game. But I'll bitch about that when I get to it and fail :D)

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 01:45:33 pm »

If you don't have an entity file it won't work. The file is entity_default. It should work after that.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »

I was told there were no guides to doing this, so I am just looking through the raw files trying to see how everything works.
There is a basic tutorial on the wiki: http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Modding_Guide
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.