Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: "Keep Item In Stock"  (Read 1255 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Keep Item In Stock"
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:26:00 am »

It was suggested in another thread and I thought it was so good it has to be done. A "keep item in stock" option for the manager.

The way I envision it, you order a job in the manager window like normal, but instead of saying how many items should be produced you enter how many items should be in stock.

For example you could order 30 fine meals to be in stock, and whenever the stocks drop lower than that, the manager generates cook fine meal jobs until the stocks are above 30 again.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Keep Item In Stock"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 09:29:00 am »

The awesomeness of this would be ridiculously awesome.  Even if it only checked for stocks on the season changes, it would be incredibly useful.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

Oh please, Toady, pleeeaaase!!!
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 03:51:00 pm »

Seconded!!!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Entropy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 04:49:00 pm »

A seasonal inventory thing would be good - constantly would be a bit much i think.

I suppose you could specify a range - turns production on at X, stops production at Y.  That would be a little better and provide more management or bookkeeper jobs - which might provide a little incentive to have a dwarf just for those jobs rather than the single dwarf for all noble positions.

monolar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 05:07:00 pm »

This would definitely be super great.
Additionally it would be cool to be able to see if goals are met or even warn levels that are configurable...

e.g.
Goal: 20 fine Meals
Warn: 5 or less (produces an announcement e.g.)

OoiTY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 08:10:00 am »

This will be too useful. No more suddenly realizing that your fort is out of food and the farmers didn't plant anything.

Xenomorph

• Bay Watcher
  • has sprung from ambush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:00 am »

Remember that fine meals require cookable items in the first place.  This never said anything about sorting out prerequisites as well.

Karzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 12:25:00 pm »

Sometimes, well a lot of times, my attention isn't where it needs to be and I run out of booze.  This would be pretty nice.  I can see other uses for it as well.
Life is short, live it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 04:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xenomorph:
<STRONG>Remember that fine meals require cookable items in the first place.  This never said anything about sorting out prerequisites as well.</STRONG>

Yes, it won't queue pre-requs, but it can warn.  But you can always have more than one goal.
Do it like this:

Item: fine meal
Goal: 20
Warn: 5

Item: [booze]
Goal: 100
Warn: 20

Item: plump helmet
Goal: 200
Warn: 100

SquidDNA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

I had a ridiculously complicated concept for this that I never got around to implementing. Basically you have all your output from a brewery dump into a relatively inaccessible stockpile that empties into however many other stockpiles you have. There are many pressure switches in the hall that leads to this stockpile, and when any one of them are depressed due to dwarves running in and drinking or moving barrels around or whatnot, it will keep the brewery doors locked. However, when activity dies down, the brewery doors open and dwarves can begin to restock.

The specifics of it might be trickier than that, but there's your concept.

Relicnews Forums Fleet Biologist

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:35:00 am »

Thirded. Great idea.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

alex may

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 06:52:00 am »

Such a brilliant idea. It would also be great if one could keep in stock items like bits of shell, in case people have a turn of mood and it's impossible to find the bits they want.

That raises the problem of priority though - what happens if you set stock of plump helmets at 10, but have Dwarven wine at 10 units as well, and have fewer than 10 plump helmets - which stock takes priority? Also, since there may be many ways to produce a certain type of stock, it would be hard for the manager to implement tasks to keep items in stock sometimes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by alex may:
<STRONG>That raises the problem of priority though - what happens if you set stock of plump helmets at 10, but have Dwarven wine at 10 units as well, and have fewer than 10 plump helmets - which stock takes priority? Also, since there may be many ways to produce a certain type of stock, it would be hard for the manager to implement tasks to keep items in stock sometimes.</STRONG>

Well, hopefully at that point they've started PLANTING more.  Personally, I'd count planted seeds as finished crop, but that's just me.
But I suppose you could set the priority like you do anything in the manager screen: higher up, higher priority.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 04:00:00 pm »

I think the system is simpler than that. As long as something's less than the set amount, dwarves will strive to produce it. In the case of beer vs plants, as long as your beer outperforms your plants (meaning the brewing and growing rates), your farmers will have a lot of work. It simply boils down to turning certain items' production on and off depending on their number, there's no priority as long as you can't make mutually exclusive demands like "I want at least 10 mugs in the stock, but no more than 5". In the case of plump helmets, methinks the principle won't work, because planting is not a workshop task, and farming is not a trade skill. Just as you won't be able to ask for "at least 50 limestone", because you'll need to manually designate the mining area for it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: [1] 2