Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Need Help with Mega-Project: Mt. Uristmore  (Read 2261 times)

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need Help with Mega-Project: Mt. Uristmore
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:30:03 pm »

After a little forethought and some minor planning, I'm hoping to construct the greatest testament to Dwarvenkind ever attempted. Namely, Mt. Uristmore:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What I have not been able to find, however, has been a suitable site to labor this behemoth into existence. As you can see, this project will require many-a tall mountain, preferably flat-land all around it. If anyone knows of a great location, I ask you to post it.

Size-wise I'm hoping to make the head roughly 60-70 units wide, and so you can see that it will need almost twice as many z-levels as that.

If all goes well, I'll make a save for anyone that wants the location, as I want to have a good portion of the fortress in the head/face. Maybe with Glass windows for eyes?  :)

Also, any suggestions or criticisms you might have -- let me know! If there's a way to make this better, I will definitely be listening.  ;D

Urist McDwarf
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 08:50:01 pm by Urist McDwarf »
Mega-Projects:
Mt. Uristmore - In Progress

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help for Mega-Project
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 03:13:46 pm »

To get that many z-levels, you'll need a wide elevation range and massive elevation variance. Try an elevation range of 100-500 with elevation variance of 1600. Turn off erosion, too.

Of course, this won't give you flat lands adjacent to incredibly steep mountains. You don't generally get those kinds of formations in reality.

As for design, the entrance and barracks should be in the mouth, noble quarters should be in the cranium, garbage dumps in the nose. Good luck!
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 03:30:54 pm »

Thanks for your rather quick response, Derakon. I'll see about generating a world with those parameter changes.

That brings me to a second question though -- are there currently any 3D visualizers for DF available for OSX?

Urist McDwarf
Mega-Projects:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »

Maybe with Glass windows for eyes?  :)

Nah, glass floodgates. With magma behind them. Linked to a convenient lever so you can dump it on sieges and/or elven caravans.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:48:30 pm »

To get that many z-levels, you'll need a wide elevation range and massive elevation variance. Try an elevation range of 100-500 with elevation variance of 1600. Turn off erosion, too.

Of course, this won't give you flat lands adjacent to incredibly steep mountains. You don't generally get those kinds of formations in reality.

As for design, the entrance and barracks should be in the mouth, noble quarters should be in the cranium, garbage dumps in the nose. Good luck!

What comes to the site, I have seen some that could support this. Make the adjustments described above, then set minimum volcano number to a high value (70-100 depending region size). This will generate a lot of small mountain ranges in the middle of forests and marshes (that are mid-elevation, resulting in a steep cliff), so you should find a cliff steep enough with relative ease.

Some time ago I had fort in a place that might suit this place very well (Very steep mountain range, high volcano and HFS.) I had to abandon the place since the massive number of z-levels caused an enormous lag, even with the starting seven. Especially if anyone started to pathfind to the mountaintop.

So to keep lag at minimum, I propose the following:
a) Pick a very small embark
b) Do as much of the digging as you can near the mountain edge. It seems the game does not generate underground tiles until you mine into them, so don't go exploratory mining.
c) Block all access to the mountaintop, all those z-levels make pathfinding there really laggy.
d) If you have invasions on, beware of gobbos shooting down from the mountaintop. You can't do anything to them if they don't come down.

Maybe with Glass windows for eyes?  :)
Nah, glass floodgates. With magma behind them. Linked to a convenient lever so you can dump it on sieges and/or elven caravans.

I second this.

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:58:38 pm »

I am definitely in favor of the magma, as I can only speculate that Armok must cry tears of blood-red magma.  :D

I'm going to spend the most time on site selection, and be as critical as I can, as this is probably one of the more important steps in the construction.

Thanks everyone for the input and advice!

Urist McDwarf
Mega-Projects:

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 07:31:44 pm »

Cry? No. Shoot tears of magma out of his eyes.

You need to have a mighty pump array sitting behind the eyes to spray magma.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Noodler13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:23:04 pm »

have the eyes looking at a platform with the trade depot on it. so all caravans will know to beware Urist's piercing gaze, lest it be the last thing they see

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 08:48:53 pm »

have the eyes looking at a platform with the trade depot on it. so all caravans will know to beware Urist's piercing gaze, lest it be the last thing they see

Haha, both great ideas -- hopefully I find an embark soon so that I can actually begin to plan this out!

Urist McDwarf
Mega-Projects:

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 08:52:28 pm »

Urist McDwarf

Please stop.
We can see who's posting easily enough.

And Jakkarra did the same for while, until forumites raeged.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Ciber_Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:32 pm »

Exactly what I was thinking
ARMOCK cry?
Preposterous
thems drownding in magma words

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »

Urist McDwarf

Please stop.
We can see who's posting easily enough.

Ha, sorry, habit from other forums. Duly noted.
Mega-Projects:

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Need Help with Mega-Project: Mt. Uristmore
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:47 pm »

I just had the strangest idea of an alternative magma orifice - the statue's nose. Put a wide row of pumps behind it and you can have him sneeze high pressure magma onto your foes.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 09:24:28 pm »

The pumps would have to be above the nose to give enough pressure.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 09:39:09 pm »

I'm personally fond of having a lever that leads to magma flooding out of all his orifices -- including the little-known eye orifice
Mega-Projects:
Pages: [1] 2 3