Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Need Help with Mega-Project: Mt. Uristmore  (Read 2252 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help with Mega-Project: Mt. Uristmore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:48 pm »

I'm personally fond of having a lever that leads to magma flooding out of all his orifices -- including the little-known eye orifice

You mean the tear ducts......

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 09:46:08 pm »

I'm personally fond of having a lever that leads to magma flooding out of all his orifices -- including the little-known eye orifice

You mean the tear ducts......

Well as it probably won't have eyeballs, and instead two faucets, I'd argue it's a little more than a tear duct.  :P
Mega-Projects:
Mt. Uristmore - In Progress

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2009, 09:53:26 pm »

check the worldgen leaderboards and get the most z-levels map.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:48 pm »

Well, you did say eye-orfice.

Too bad we can't make it shoot lasers or some energy beam of some kind out of the eyes.

Actually, firing ballistia bolts would be cool as they hit friend and foe, if they were able to travel z-levels like bolts do. Or put the trade depot at the level of the eyes.

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 10:01:45 pm »

Actually, firing ballistia bolts would be cool ...

HA! The image that was generated by that makes me disappointed that ballista arrows don't interact with other z-levels.  :'(

check the worldgen leaderboards and get the most z-levels map.

I'm not quite sure what the leaderboards are, and a search only turned up mentions of it.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:05:45 pm by Urist McDwarf »
Mega-Projects:

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 10:05:38 pm »

Alternatively, in the next version, you could have a couple of champion marksdwarves stand behind the eyes and fire at the elves or whatever when you mark the traders for death. It wouldn't be as cool as firing a ballistia bolt or shooting magma though.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:38 pm »

What I have not been able to find, however, has been a suitable site to labor this behemoth into existence. As you can see, this project will require many-a tall mountain, preferably flat-land all around it. If anyone knows of a great location, I ask you to post it.

Size-wise I'm hoping to make the head roughly 60-70 units wide, and so you can see that it will need almost twice as many z-levels as that.

Somebody just posted a location that sounds like something you could use.  It's not a mountain, but it has 39 z-level sheer cliffs surrounding a river.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 10:45:31 pm »

Does anyone know of a working map painter that I would be able to effectively use to create the mountains I want for this project?
Mega-Projects:

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 10:54:05 pm »

Next best thing is setting up a driving range in the pupils.

Code: [Select]
╔════════╕
║X☻+++++++
╚════════╛
Have it so that one of the front squares is the bottom of a pit on a higher z-level (preferably 1-2 levels deep at most). The dwarf is a stationed hammerdwarf, ideally legendary and with a high strength stat. Drop in any unfriendly creatures and see if your dwarf can get a hole in one.

Variant for nostrils:
Code: [Select]
         ╔═══╗
╔════════╝...║
║X☻+++++++...║
╚════════╗...║
         ╚═══╝

Doing it with the mouth is similar, but you can have a wider opening at the end.

Oh, and for mega bonus points, chain up a dragon instead, and drop tame animals in front of it periodically. SUPERFIRE EYES.

Tael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 11:50:24 pm »

I think the issue with this concept is the ABSOLUTE maximum number of z-levels is FAR FAR fewer than you might think.
At one point I generated: z-levels 91 through 203. So. . . 112 z-levels to play in.
This was using the world painter to place upper-level mountainrange heights next to the minimum or close to the minimum height for non-sea biomes.
So, doing: "Size-wise I'm hoping to make the head roughly 60-70 units wide, and so you can see that it will need almost twice as many z-levels as that." Might be impossible to do, or practically impossible.
EDIT: According the the World Gen \/leaderboard the highest anyone has generated is something like 229.
Still, I doubt that its mostly mountain.
Also, 229 z-levels means either cliffs if it occurs over less than 229 squares or a minimum embark size of 5 squares in a row.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:56:42 pm by Tael »

Urist McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2009, 12:09:42 am »

While looking for some reference on how to model the face so that there would be a reasonable amount of detail in it, I came across this picture:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This will probably end up forming the basis and overall starting point in mapping the design. With the addition of the beard and helmet it should appear a lot more dwarfy. If I convert a single-studded Lego brick to a single DF tile, the face will come out to roughly 40-45 tiles wide. I'm guessing that with the helmet it will work out to about 70 z-levels tall.

So, doing: "Size-wise I'm hoping to make the head roughly 60-70 units wide, and so you can see that it will need almost twice as many z-levels as that." Might be impossible to do, or practically impossible.

So with the new rough size, it brings the project into what is probably a much more feasible realm. :D
Mega-Projects:

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2009, 01:43:19 am »

Oh, and for mega bonus points, chain up a dragon instead, and drop tame animals in front of it periodically. SUPERFIRE EYES.

This. I vote for this.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 03:00:18 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43139.0

i say you should use this, it looks awesome enough
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:50 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43139.0

i say you should use this, it looks awesome enough

That spot, Right over the bottomless pit :P

imajia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 11:21:25 am »

Here is the location I'm currently using and it might fit your needs. 100 levels, volcano, bauxit, brook, sand, fuel (all types), magnetite.
No chasm or underground features.

3D view:

world_gen (parameter set from another thread):

Pages: 1 [2] 3