Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves drinking from faraway stockpiles  (Read 516 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves drinking from faraway stockpiles
« on: October 13, 2009, 01:43:25 pm »

I have just placed booze stockpiles in the jail, and in my HFS isolation chamber.  Both of these places are very far away from the bedrooms and workshops, and everything else, really.  However, as soon as they were filled, my dwarves swarmed them.  Is there any way to make sure my dwarves favor more central areas for drinking?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Dwarves drinking from faraway stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:21:38 pm »

Dwarves seem to prefer the newest available booze, so your best bet is to simply lock it away for a while until all of your other booze is consumed and replaced - after a while, it'll be the oldest booze and nobody will bother to drink it unless there's nothing else available.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 02:29:43 pm »

if dwarves prefer the newest available zone then thats probably why my jail turned into McUrist...

which is highly annoying...

is it possible that due to the pathfinding AI the dwarves are going to those zones because they seem closer to them? Something similiar to a dwarf walking 100+ squares to pick up a stone to use in a workshop because its one z level above the shop and technically "closer" than the stone 5 squares away with easy access?
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

Razoric480

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Iced Fire Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 08:37:27 pm »

It's kind of weird that dwarves prefer new booze. After all, aged wine is much better than freshly pressed wine.