Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An ambush! Curse them!  (Read 1459 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
An ambush! Curse them!
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:11:16 pm »

It just ticked over into winter.  Winter may not go that well.

Yes, that's right.  Eight ambushes.  In a row.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An ambush! Curse them!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:16 pm »

Was part of your fort inaccessible until winter?  Cause that doesn't see right.  I've never seen more than 3 ambush squads. 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

The Navigator

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:40:54 pm »

Release the kittens!

@Satarus They'll build up after awhile if you don't trigger them. The most Ive gotten is 5 though.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:43:24 pm »

Was part of your fort inaccessible until winter?  Cause that doesn't see right.  I've never seen more than 3 ambush squads. 

No, that's the weird part.  My fort is perfectly accessible.  I simply set my military on duty, and they activated the eight ambushes, all right next to eachother, along their partrol route. 

The one thing I can think of is that my population is capped at 50 -- right now I have 53.  So I don't get sieges.  Yet my fortress wealth is 1.6 million.  Which could result in a *lot* of ambushes.  I might bump it up to 80 just to get around this annoyance.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:10 pm »

I've seen seven, with 100+ corpses left after.
Finis sanctificat media.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 04:44:52 pm »

Sometimes though I seem to get multiple alerts from the same group. No way to tell which invader is part of which squad when they are clumped together or you don't know where the leader is.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »

If they spot more then 1 goblin at the same time to trigger an ambush you can get multiple messages.
Nom nom nom

UndergroundTree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 04:45:33 am »

I felt your pain, but I got the ultimate revenge.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=43124.0

Dorfs don't ambush. They get mechanical  ;D

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:53:58 am »

You also get multiple messages if more than one dwarf/pet/friendly sees the same skulker/ambusher when it becomes visible.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 05:51:04 pm »

I've had a siege x3 one time... Yes... I know... ( about 100 goblins, with their 10 troll buds)
Then FUN begins.