Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training Owned Pets (Dogs)  (Read 983 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Training Owned Pets (Dogs)
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:04:32 am »

People who arrive with pet dogs are less hated than those who arrive with other useless animals, but wouldn't it be nice if those pets could be trained? Upgrading wandering dogs to Hunting or War dogs, or other animals in to whatever future options there may be, would be a good way to make immigrants with pets valuable instead of a nuisance.

Just a thought.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Saber Cherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training Owned Pets (Dogs)
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:13:37 pm »

Hi, immigrant, what a sweet lil' doggy you have.  Mind if I take it away, turn it into a vicious killer, and chain it to the ground on the border of Orc Forest?

Cuz would just LOVE to do that with MY dog.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 01:33:01 pm »

It would still be an owned pet so you wouldn't be able to cage, chain, or butcher it like you can assigned wardogs. 

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 02:23:48 pm »

Alternately, you could turn on Animal Training on the pet owner, and in his spare time he could decide to train the dog.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:08:11 pm »

Alternately, you could turn on Animal Training on the pet owner, and in his spare time he could decide to train the dog.

That might be a better solution. Not sure everyone would be willing to train their pet as a killing machine, though. I wonder if assertiveness might be factored into animal training in the future...
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:37:33 am »

Training dogs as hunting animals might be more popular, as that's sort of a recreational thing.

... Then again, these are Dwarves we're talking about.  Fighting's a recreational thing for them, particularly once they get used to tragedy.

But seeing Dwarves train their own pet donkeys to be haulers, horses to be mounts, and oxen to draw carts would be kinda cool... provided a good way to work it can be found.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

betamax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 07:15:52 am »

But seeing Dwarves train their own pet donkeys to be haulers, horses to be mounts, and oxen to draw carts would be kinda cool... provided a good way to work it can be found.
This is a brilliant idea. When we see toady implement better hauling algorithms, we could have dwarves, rather than picking up a single piece of ore and taking it back, bringing their mule along, who can load up several pieces of ore.
This would be a good reason to breed and train pack animals.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:36:46 pm »

Many people in real life train their family pet to be at least a watch dog who barks at intruders (if it's not in the dog's nature already). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch for dwarves with normal pet dogs to train them to be war dogs. I approve.

I definitely approve of this, once pack animals are implemented. Players might start breeding horses, donkeys, and mules as pack animals instead of just for a good supply of meat, bone, leather, and fat. It would require an expansion of the animal assignment menu though, unless you wanted to have the animals trained as "Pack animals" (which isn't too unrealistic, pack animals have to be trained). There's already a pack animal tag, which is currently used for traders, no reason why it couldn't be applied to domestic pack animals as well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:45:05 pm »

Granite's Law?

Indeed!  I knew my addition was an old suggestion, of course, before I added it.  But the relevance was there.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!