Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BMFDP  (Read 1028 times)

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
BMFDP
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:45 pm »

Big Mother F*ing Digging Project, that is.

Through a bit of trial and error I've come up with a pretty foolproof technique for digging, and managing the low FPS that comes from tons of loose stone. I didn't see a decent place to put it on the wiki, so I thought I'd share here. It's more of a strategy than anything.

Hollowing out a mountain:

Step 0: Have a magma pipe. Have temperature turned on.

Step 1: Dig out the bottom floor with ramps (clearing level bottom, level bottom+1 and the floor between them. Take care to discover the magma pipe properly (from the top) or your dwarves might accidentally tap it.

Step 2. Quantum-dump or use up all the valuable stone that is loose.

Step 3. Tap the magma pipe from the bottom level, allowing it to flood that level of your map. When the season turns over, all that stone disappears.

Step 4. Smooth, construct in, whatever with the empty levels of magma pipe. :)

Step 5. Dig out level bottom+2. Quantum dump or use up all the valuable stone/ore. Channel around the edges of that level, let it drop (along with all the useless stone) into the magma level. You'll have to channel around at least as big as the widest part of your magma pipe.

Step 6. Repeat step 5 until you only have the top level left. Build whatever you like, and roof it, and even after channeling the dirt level away, the indoors will remain subterranean/dark/underground for 'dwarves stay inside' purposes.

Step 7. Profit!

I'm dropping bits of dirt down a few levels to have 'arboretums/greenhouses' in the lower levels, so I'll have a bit of Dwarven Science to show/tell as well, to do with falling levels, cracking levels, and cave ins.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: BMFDP
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:48:04 pm »

There's just one problem with using flowing magma to melt stone - it'll push all of the molten stone around, and some of it will "get lost", such that it remains in the Z-Stocks screen (but doesn't actually show up when using the loo(k) function) and never disappears during season changes, effectively consuming memory forever.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:01:06 pm »

There's just one problem with using flowing magma to melt stone - it'll push all of the molten stone around, and some of it will "get lost", such that it remains in the Z-Stocks screen (but doesn't actually show up when using the loo(k) function) and never disappears during season changes, effectively consuming memory forever.
did you tell toady?

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »

Wouldn't the amount there be fairly negligible, though? It depends on how much stone tends to get stuck between dimensions. (No clue.)

Sounds like it'd be easier just to have a bottomless pit, or a cleared room of HFS. Or atom-smash it.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »

I checked my game, and ... yeah this. I could zoom to any individual molten [whatever] but most of the time there was nothing to loo(k) at on the tile it brought me to. :(

If the magma is 7/7 and still will this not happen? I could have let the thing fill more completely before starting to dump.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:37:46 pm »

it seems I've got about 1700 'missing' stone, but with a fps hovering around 80, and 40 dwarves, I'm pretty content.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:59:40 pm »

did you tell toady?

It's already known, as a combination of several bugs:

000525 □ [dwarf mode][flows]   items that were pushed around by water didn't show up with look command
000595 □ [dwarf mode][items]   molten rock items visible from stocks screen but not in the channel after zoom
000641 ▣ (a save before this happens would be useful) [dwarf mode][items]   molten rock disappears from tile but can still zoom to if from stocks screen

If the magma is 7/7 and still will this not happen? I could have let the thing fill more completely before starting to dump.

If you melt the stone in a 7/7 magma pool that isn't actively flowing, it'll properly disappear at the next season change - the problem only comes into play if the magma is flowing and gets a chance to push stuff around.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 03:24:03 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 04:55:34 pm »

Are you certain about Step 6?  I am asking because I performed the experiment of channelling out a 3x3 area of the dirt-1 level and flooring it, then channelling out a 3x3 from the dirt level above the flooring.  The light went right through the constructed floor, making a 3x3 square of "light, aboveground" on the dirt-2 level.

If the roofs were poured obsidan, it might work.  Someone was going to test that for us but got busy at work.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:38:02 am »

I think I had that problem with a rotting dwarf corpse in a cave river.

True story.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »

Perhaps not forever.

I foolishly created two puddles of, I think, Bismuth (some useless metal I had stolen).  It happened in a combination magma/water shower, so there were some issues with two types of liquid flow, plus getting encased in obsidian.  The globs persisted for a long while.  Lately I've been doing some cleaning, and I see they're gone.  No idea how that happened.

The only activity at that spot is infrequently encasing things in obsidian, and building, deconstructing, and operating raising bridges.  One or both of those may be a solution to the invisible bugged items.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.