Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Murder Monkeys  (Read 753 times)

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Murder Monkeys
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:23:25 pm »

I've barely started getting into trying to mod DF & I've run into a snag with my latest project, namely creating deadly deadly Rhesus Macaques who can pick up and equip weapons and love fighting.

My first attempt failed miserably: the macaques would just steal items like normal without bothering to equip them, even though I added the [EQUIPS] tag. I removed the item-theft tag, but then they just milled about in a swarm aimlessly & even when I made a weapon stock pile out near the monkeys they didn't seem interested in them.

Can anyone explain the error of my ways?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murder Monkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:05 pm »

Did you change the SIZE of the macaque or the items? At size 3 there isn't much that they could equip. The only default weapons with MINIMUM_SIZE less than 4 are whips, scourges, blowguns, and large daggers; all at MINIMUM_SIZE 3.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:34:19 pm »

Did you change the SIZE of the macaque or the items? At size 3 there isn't much that they could equip. The only default weapons with MINIMUM_SIZE less than 4 are whips, scourges, blowguns, and large daggers; all at MINIMUM_SIZE 3.

I thought of that and made them size 5 before I made the other changes in the OP. Originally I had wanted to enslave Kobolds (who are size 5), but since Entities can't be made into pets I had to settle for trying to recreate them in monkey form.

[edit]

I'll post the RAW code just in case anyone can point out something that's keeping this from working.

[CREATURE:MACAQUE_RHESUS]
   [NAME:rhesus macaque:rhesus macaques:rhesus macaque]
   [TILE:'m'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:40:100]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:15:25][LOOSE_CLUSTERS]
   [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK][LARGE_PREDATOR]   [liKES_FIGHTING]
   [PETVALUE:50]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:0][PET][trAINABLE]
   [PREFSTRING:mischief]
   [BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:5]
   [MAXAGE:30:40]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:3:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]

[ATTACK:SECOND:BYTYPE:GRASP:punch:punches:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [CHILD:3]
   [FAT:1]
   [EQUIPS]
   [DIURNAL]
   [BIOME:SHRUBLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:SAVANNA_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:GRASSLAND_TEMPERATE]
   [BIOME:NOT_FREEZING]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10069]
   [LAYERING:100]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [PERSONALITY:ANGER:25:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:IMMODERATION:50:75:100]
   [PERSONALITY:EXCITEMENT_SEEKING:0:60:100]
   [PERSONALITY:CHEERFULNESS:0:40:90]
   [PERSONALITY:ALTRUISM:0:25:50]
   [PERSONALITY:MODESTY:0:40:90]
   [PERSONALITY:SYMPATHY:0:25:50]
   [FANCIFUL]

----

I stole a lot of code from goblins and gremlins to see if it would help, but they still just mill around lazily. Not even making them carnivores helped.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:52:59 pm by bobsnewaddress »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:29:32 am »

Just give Kobolds the [PET] and possibly the [trAINABLE] tag, if that was your original idea. Then you could technically tame a kobold and have him work like a war dog.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 09:43:42 am »

Just give Kobolds the [PET] and possibly the [trAINABLE] tag, if that was your original idea. Then you could technically tame a kobold and have him work like a war dog.

Doesn't work. I tried that before working on the monkey project -- I even removed the Kobolds [trapavoid] just so that I could cage-trap one and test if I could tame them. Apparently creatures who can form civilizations can't be tamed or trained for some reason.

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:46:16 pm »

I thought, from the Murlocs thread, that a creature with [equips] just prefers to steal weapons/armor(?), but runs off the map with it when it has it.

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 04:07:17 pm »

I thought, from the Murlocs thread, that a creature with [equips] just prefers to steal weapons/armor(?), but runs off the map with it when it has it.

Nah, that's the CURIOUSBEAT_ITEM tag that causes them to do this. All these Macaques do is bumble around aimlessly. They don't even attack cats or dogs like they did in an earlier build.