Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721255 times)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2235 on: December 31, 2009, 12:00:38 am »

Updating a limited number of items would just make the game run (as in game speed not the FPS) slow as it take multiple draw frames to get through the game logic loop once, you'd see a high FPS but that would no longer be an accurate reflection of the game speed.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: December 31, 2009, 12:27:46 am »

Updating a limited number of items would just make the game run (as in game speed not the FPS) slow as it take multiple draw frames to get through the game logic loop once, you'd see a high FPS but that would no longer be an accurate reflection of the game speed.
DF would keep running at its normal speed. Stonesense would run at its normal speed. A subset of the items would be updated each Stonesense frame.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: December 31, 2009, 12:38:00 am »

This is a bit offtopic, but a dfhack tool to auto-purge useless stone would be awesome for quickly nuking lag... but we can't yet determine stone types from a pile i don't think... Once thats done we could make it insta-nuke all the useless rocks.
Or maybe transmute them into something useful like bauxite...

If you like, you can set stone types you want removed to have a boiling point of about 10,000 urists, slightly under room temperature. Next time you load the game, all that stone will boil away to nothing. The only downside is that objects built from said stone will also boil away, so if you're planning on doing this, don't build out of whatever stone you want to waste.

(I'm just as equally off-topic, sorry)

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: December 31, 2009, 12:38:37 am »

Oh it seems you've misunderstood, I was speculating on how DF itself should manage item updates more efficiently not how StoneSense would read/interpret the items.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: December 31, 2009, 03:15:45 am »

Regarding objects in DF itself:

I've only done basic programming and I've got no idea how DF works, so I may be way off, but wouldn't it make more sense for object updating to be tied to actions instead of the object itself?

IE. No object gets checked unless an interaction occurs to change the state or position of that object.

Examples in plain language:
Eg. if carpenter chops tree then update object: remove object.
Eg. if tile falls and object exists on tile then update object position: -x z-levels.
Eg. if dwarf picks up object or if dwarf is carrying object then update object: position = dwarf's position.

Of course the above cases already happen in DF, but there doesn't seem to be a need to check objects continuously unless something happens to it or if DF needs to check for the existence of an object (for stock levels or available building stone etc).

Other objects that change over time need only be updated every so often as Impaler[WrG] suggested, such as grass tiles becoming dirt or trees changing colour with the seasons etc.

Like I said I've only done basic programming (literally DarkBasic Pro), so I'm probably better off leaving thoughts to the pros :)

Belal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: December 31, 2009, 08:33:15 am »

This is a bit offtopic, but a dfhack tool to auto-purge useless stone would be awesome for quickly nuking lag... but we can't yet determine stone types from a pile i don't think...

this should actually be pretty simple if all you have to do is change the temperature of the stone to get it to boil off.  We can determine stone material types already, that is no problem.  I will see if I can get something working.

Elvisman2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: December 31, 2009, 09:15:35 am »

No problems here running Windows 7 64-bit and Stonesense.
If you have Stonesense or DF installed in C:\Program Files(x86), that may be why it's not working as this area is protected by the OS.  Try installing in a different folder.

Well. . .  so far i have tried:
turning off UAC
turning on windows XP compatibility mode

I don't have either of them installed in C:\Program Files(x86), they are both located in a downloads folder under my username at the moment.
So anyway, i have the latest DF with no tilesets or anything. Windows 7 64 bit. I7 920 Processor.  I run DF and load up my save game  (with no progress, I havent even issued any commands). I then run Stonesense, hit 'F9' and it just tells me it can't find  DF process.
Any more ideas?
Very frustrating.
This is the correct way to run Stonesense right?

Elvisman2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: December 31, 2009, 09:21:17 am »

Oh i also forgot to mention I do have Stonesense set to run as Administrator.

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: December 31, 2009, 09:35:09 am »

Try running DF as Admin as well as Stonesense if you're not already.

Only other thing I can think of is a firewall or antivirus preventing access to the DF process.  You could try temporarily disabling one or both of them to see if that's it; you may want to disconnect from the internet to be safe while doing this.  If this works you could add the programs to the exceptions list.

Also not sure if the username directory is protected by Windows or not.

I can't think of anything else; I hope someone else will be able to help you as this is a great program.

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: December 31, 2009, 09:55:26 am »

No problems here running Windows 7 64-bit and Stonesense.
If you have Stonesense or DF installed in C:\Program Files(x86), that may be why it's not working as this area is protected by the OS.  Try installing in a different folder.

Well. . .  so far i have tried:
turning off UAC
turning on windows XP compatibility mode

I don't have either of them installed in C:\Program Files(x86), they are both located in a downloads folder under my username at the moment.
So anyway, i have the latest DF with no tilesets or anything. Windows 7 64 bit. I7 920 Processor.  I run DF and load up my save game  (with no progress, I havent even issued any commands). I then run Stonesense, hit 'F9' and it just tells me it can't find  DF process.
Any more ideas?
Very frustrating.
This is the correct way to run Stonesense right?

I tick "run as administrator" (under compatability mode, at the bottom of the window) on both stonesense.exe and dwarfort.exe, that's what i did to get it to run on windows7.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: December 31, 2009, 10:55:53 am »

I think I recall Toady mentioning way back in 2D that it's not actually set up for dwarves to look for jobs, whenever a job is generated (say hauling a rock to a stockpile) a search floods out from the rock looking for the nearest dwarf with hauling enabled that isn't currently doing anything and then when it finds one that dwarf does the job.   That could explain why DF has to go through all the item lists, every item is determining if there is a job related to them.

Of course I also remember Toady mentioning that he taught items to know when nothing is going to happen to them any time soon as well, but I can assume stuff like seeds and food is getting checked most of the time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: December 31, 2009, 11:24:26 am »

words
Leave it to Toady to code the items to tell the creatures when to use them...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Elvisman2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: December 31, 2009, 11:28:50 am »

Ah well.
I give up.

I tried turning off firewall (only using built in Windows firewall), I tried turning off UAC, tried setting both DF and Stonesense to Admin and compatibility modes, trued turning off anti virus (Nod32), tried moving both folders to a different drive. . .  nothing works. Stonesense just can't find the DF process for whatever reason on my machine.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: December 31, 2009, 11:29:24 am »

Hmm..  What version of DF are you even using?
"The latest" is a misnomer.
That could refer to 40d (the latest official version) or 40d16.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:31:57 am by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: December 31, 2009, 11:48:07 am »

As jaybud4 is suggesting, you could try a different version of DF... try Mike Mayday's DFG, it's the one I'm using so it works - http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.php.

Also try another utility such as Visual Fortress or Khazad to see if they can access DF: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Utilities
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 379