Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1721141 times)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - Official thread -
« Reply #2085 on: December 22, 2009, 06:04:00 am »

UPDATE!

The installer for Stonesense Granite RC2 has just been uploaded to googlecode:
http://stonesense.googlecode.com/files/stonesense_1_0_RC2.exe

Beefmo's subterranean sprites didn't quite make it into the base install this time round, but we have the support so all the variations will work if you download it from the Stonesense Content Repository:
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Stonesense:Content_repository

A tarball and update to the OP should follow shortly.

Enjoy!

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: December 22, 2009, 06:20:23 am »

SS still looks very Escher though, as shown in some of those screenies.
Maybe some kind of very slight effect that darkens area the lower they are from the top visible layer? Though I feel that would cause a lot of slowdown.
Only a little bit of a slowdown. (Guess the RC2 new feature)

Dark_Tundra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: December 22, 2009, 07:05:00 am »

yeah very impressive, and it looks so good with SS! the magma caldera looks badass. if only the statues were facing the right, it'd be perfect. in fact, that could be a feature in SS. shift-click on appropriate objects to change their facing or something..
The only suggestion I can think of currently, concerning the facing direction of statues, is that they could perhaps have a preference to face towards floor tiles; or away from wall/ramp tiles?
I'm not sure of the viability of this though, it may require a level of overhead I'm not aware of.

Khalan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: December 22, 2009, 08:29:48 am »

Thanks to Beefmo for the awesome sprites and the team for the new update :)

The depth fogging looks great!

This is with my settings at 0/0/0/255 for the fog colour and alpha:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Setting it to white (255/255/255/255) also gives a great mist-like effect:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: December 22, 2009, 09:10:16 am »

I know it is a bit late to say so but the Fireman is amazing! Thumbs up!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: December 22, 2009, 10:58:56 am »

This fog effect looks pretty awesome.  Especially at big tall mountain ranges.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: December 22, 2009, 11:55:03 am »

That's insanely awesome - The only major thing left to be done that I can see is to add texture/color to the ramps.
Great work to everyone who's a part of this.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: December 22, 2009, 12:28:12 pm »

Amazing! Just everything in here is amazing. And Retro, your fort looks like it was practically made for this. It looks so much like a living city, instead of the standard row of efficient blocks.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: December 22, 2009, 12:35:36 pm »

Should we take this to mean that alpha channels are working now and the alpha channel on png files will now load properly?
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:11 pm »

Posted some of those pics on /tg/ of all places, and they were really impressed, talking about how it's like DF should look canonically.

Few more graphics tiles like catapult and ballista and we're pretty much set it appears. :)

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2095 on: December 22, 2009, 03:00:24 pm »

Got the archive version of RC2 up. Also changed the poll to how do you want Stonesense distributed?

@Retro: Wow man! Wow! Those screenshots are simply gorgeous! I wanna print these and hang over my workstation. They're simply some of the best I've seen so far! Very nice hehe
And we just added Fog to the RC2 (it was supposed to be in RC1, but a bug left it out) so some depth should be possible through that.

Also, on ramps: Ramps are now configurable ;) so if anyone's handy with ye olde ms paint; let's get started on replacing those ugly ass placeholders. (ask kaypy or me about how)

@Hal Nicholas: No, no objects yet. That's on the list for 2.0 ( Slate ).

@Haladuz: hee hee awesome tigerman :D Good work!

@Khalan: Nice use of the fog! maybe the default color should be changed...

@Impaler[WrG]: Sadly no... The shadows are added by shading the entire sprite using the GPU interface. It still does not support alpha channels on the pngs.

@KaelGotDwarves: :D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: December 22, 2009, 03:08:46 pm »

@Impaler[WrG]: Sadly no... The shadows are added by shading the entire sprite using the GPU interface. It still does not support alpha channels on the pngs.

Is the lack of alpha support a performance thing or a just-hasn't-been-done-yet thing?

jonask84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonesene at Google Code
« Reply #2097 on: December 22, 2009, 03:09:50 pm »

It's not sure it can be done/performance thing :p

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: December 22, 2009, 03:09:53 pm »

@Hal Nicholas: No, no objects yet. That's on the list for 2.0 ( Slate ).
So it's slated?
*rimshot*
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: December 22, 2009, 03:19:27 pm »

It's not sure it can be done/performance thing :p

Hmm... it seems strange that there would be performance problems for a mostly static scene.  Well, I could see creature alphas having performance problems, but I don't think anyone cares about those anyway.  For terrain alphas you can just cache the "top" terrain after blending the alphas, and then blit the non-alpha creature sprite on top of it, right?

e: went back and tried to reconstruct the previous alpha conversation

@CobaltKobold: we want to switch to alpha and PNG files. but it would require many more library dependencies, not good for people who want to compile.
Whether we can use Alpha Transparency vs. Dithering Transparency depends entirely on the resources required by each. I'm not quite a Competent Programmer myself, so I'll leave that to the Experts to answer... for now, Dither transparency is an easy way to implement it with the current engine, especially with a new release pending. :P
Currently we dont have Alpha Transparency, so Dithering Transparency is the best we have...

Also, Dithering transparency has some nice features for water: since the pixels line up perfectly, you have the effect that something is either behind water or its not. Which is less problematic than each individual block of water having its own alpha effect. (Cause different blocks will line up strangely- I should do a mockup to [a] make it obvious what I'm saying and [b] make sure I know what I'm talking about)
Post mockup revised position statement: Given alpha transparency, doing water in a simple 'draw the water sprite at ~30% alpha' should work fine- edging effects are not really noticeable against the noise of the water textures.
Evertually, we will probably get proper alpha support. Until then, its likely to be an 'every other pixel' job like the water

So, outstanding issues are 1) possible performance issues and 2) more dependencies?  Neither seems like that big of an obstacle...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 03:29:17 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 379