Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1720207 times)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #945 on: November 15, 2009, 10:49:16 pm »

The original pigtail with the limp/floppy end to it actually looks a lot better to me, and the shadows between the curls looks more distinct to me.  I recognized it immediately as a pig tail, because it's all curly. The 2nd plump helment looks MUCH better, very clear, although I agree it could use extra stem.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 15, 2009, 10:53:17 pm »

Truthfully I thought the fluff was it becoming shiney for a while.

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 15, 2009, 10:55:52 pm »

Couple more plants, this time topside. I'm struggling with having thin plants on brown and green as they get lost unless my plant is a radically different colour.

Bloated Tuber, Fisher Berry, Longland Grass, Muck Root, Pickle Berry and Rat Weed

Tuber looks ugly but I don't know what to do to fix it. :'( Help!
The Fisher Berry's berries are meant to be shaped like hooks but look like cherries, I'm ok with that. May fix.
Longland Grass is just a recolour of Cave Wheat as they are the same thing just one grows outside. May tone down the red.
Not much to say about Muck Root, It's uncommon.
Pickle Berry bush was easy wish the others were.
Rat Weed, nobody cares about it.

Again tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it! As an artist you often get used to mistakes and you just don't notice them any more.

I will go over all the plants I post after I have done them all for consistency. It would also be handy to have a definite grass and dirt texture.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:57:57 pm by Seuss »
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 15, 2009, 11:01:31 pm »

I don't know if I accept that interpretation of what a "Tuber" is.

It should look like some sort of Potato but this one sort of looks like a Pitcher plant to me. (You made it look like a Tube as a pun)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:04:06 pm by Neonivek »

Seuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 15, 2009, 11:07:01 pm »

I don't know if I accept that interpretation of what a "Tuber" is.

It should look like some sort of Potato but this one sort of looks like a Pitcher plant to me. (You made it look like a Tube as a pun)

lol whoops.  I should think these through more. Though you saved me from trying to edit it. Start fresh, good idea.
“Reality is that part of the imagination we all agree on”

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 15, 2009, 11:11:54 pm »

A lot of plants in Dwarf Fortress could be references to real plants.

Longland Grass for example COULD be Wheat (though since "Cave Wheet" exists I don't know). In fact it uses the same symbol as Cave Wheat and is even yellow.

Rope Reed is likely Hemp
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:17:57 pm by Neonivek »

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 15, 2009, 11:19:05 pm »

Longland grass would be a type of wheat, or just basically very tall grass. Tubers could also be like radishes or carrots. Super Mario Bothers 2 has a good example of a cartoony radish, so it might be good inspiration.

Muck root seems way too small to me. Maybe give is an exposed roots look, kinda like a mangrove tree?

I had a very busy weekend, but I'll be working out the goblins this week. Since I often like to play AS goblins, I'll be spending lots of time to make them come out perfect. I'll also be doing all the jobs, and I'll go back and do that with kobolds as well.

And those dwarves I saw were great, I liked the very distinct looks. I'd still like to finish out a set using my design, but after seeing those I'll prolly be borrowing a lot of inspiration :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 15, 2009, 11:24:13 pm »

Also I picture Prickle Berries, especially due to their low price, to be one of those small wild berry plants you see outside all the time but don't eat.

I don't know what they are called. Except they are called Prickle Berry meaning they would involve a Prickle not a Pine bush. Unfortunately I always called them Prickly Plants so I don't know their true name

Though it also could be one of those REALLY spikey plants with fruit.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:30:17 pm by Neonivek »

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 15, 2009, 11:32:49 pm »

I actually like the bloated tuber, it's distinctive and well drawn and have no problem imagining theirs a tuber in or under that pitcher plant looking top.  Muck root seems small, why don't you just duplicate it three times on the tile to bulk it up, this will also make it look distinct which is good.  Rat weed also needs to be a bit bigger again layering two or three plants together might work.

Overall I think all the plants are excellent and strike a good balance between reality/fantasy and are easily distinguished which is key.  I would like to see how they look in a larger farm plot area ware their will significant overlapping, I'm concerned they will seem to merge too much and become indistinct.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 15, 2009, 11:38:57 pm »

Also I picture Prickle Berries, especially due to their low price, to be one of those small wild berry plants you see outside all the time but don't eat.

I don't know what they are called. Except they are called Prickle Berry meaning they would involve a Prickle not a Pine bush. Unfortunately I always called them Prickly Plants so I don't know their true name

Though it also could be one of those REALLY spikey plants with fruit.

Black berry bushes! All over the place in my homestate of Virginia, and those things are big tangly masses of spikes! But they are delicious, and actually fetch quite a good price. But with a name like Prickle Berry, I'm definately imagining a black berry style pricker bush.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 15, 2009, 11:43:15 pm »

In response to Impailer

They can remain distinct while also remaining true to the real world.

You don't want to go too far and make them cartoony as well.

A lot of this back on forth is the dictintion between cartoon and realism.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 15, 2009, 11:44:08 pm »

I'd argue it's more of cartoony vs grimdark :)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 15, 2009, 11:46:53 pm »

I'd argue it's more of cartoony vs grimdark :)

Yes, Singing Flowers Vs. Blackened Hearts

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 15, 2009, 11:52:12 pm »

Considering the cheerfulness with which Dwarves will dump kittens into a spike-filled pit while setting the immediate countryside on fire and basking in the magmaey warmth of screaming Goblins, i'd say bright and cartoony graphics match DF's mood perfectly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 15, 2009, 11:56:18 pm »

Considering the cheerfulness with which Dwarves will dump kittens into a spike-filled pit while setting the immediate countryside on fire and basking in the magmaey warmth of screaming Goblins, i'd say bright and cartoony graphics match DF's mood perfectly.

If Dwarf Fortress was weather I would say it is Cloudy with a chance of Sunshine rather then Sunny with a Chance of Rain.

Though I will admit it is amazing that all these glitches, bugs, and incomplete features of Dwarf Fortress just combined in people's minds to the point where a lot of people legitimately think of this game as a sunshine and lollypops comedy.

There are a few legitimate jokes I know of in Dwarf fortress (As in a joke that was put in as a joke)

Though I am probably wrong... Afterall Dwarves do need alcohol to function.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 379