Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719917 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #750 on: November 12, 2009, 12:48:40 am »

a thought just came into my head, will this eventually take into account what dwarves are wearing?
 basically I just came into an incident of playing with both on, and watching a dwarf right before going berserk throwing off EVERYTHING he was wearing
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 12, 2009, 12:54:48 am »

The more I look at it, the more the loincloth on the kobold is bugging me. I just can't get it to look good.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 12, 2009, 12:58:40 am »

Make it look wider, square maybe, as a long tunic. We don't need to see kobold loincloth. Else, it's quite good as-is...

I don't think we should care TOO much about size considerations, as long as they're reasonable, thanks to the DF Tile's size*.

*whose length is recorded in the hidden treasures of Zembla

edit: like that, did it myself. Makes 'em look a bit more civilized, worky...but not too much.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:02:28 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 12, 2009, 01:04:31 am »

Yeah, that's probably a much better idea, using just an extended tunic instead of trying to draw a loin cloth.

EDIT: Here's what I did, also tweaked the legs a tiny bit, and moved the nostril shadow up one pixel.

EDIT#2: Worked on a military kobold. Supposed to be a wood shield and a spear, with a leather helmet and armor, no boots.

EDIT#3: So, I'm not sure if we want military to default to having a shield/buckler? Most graphic packs for the game have the unit holding just the one weapon. For the goblins and kobolds, would you guys rather see shield + weapon, or just weapon?

EDIT#4: Here's a shieldless kobold too. Got everything there for comparison, tell me what ya guys think.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:10:59 am by tehmarken »

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 12, 2009, 02:23:28 am »

EDIT#4: Here's a shieldless kobold too. Got everything there for comparison, tell me what ya guys think.
Pure awesome.

hugorune

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 12, 2009, 02:40:15 am »

Looks good, I think the kobolds should just have spears but the goblins should have shields.  Make it more reflect the actual items they use in game. 

Is there going to be a mac version of Stonesense?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 12, 2009, 03:10:05 am »

Since people were talking about what kobolds should look like:

# Core90, PROPER KOBOLDS, (Future): Of course, this means different things to different people. To us, a proper kobold is neither a chihuahua man nor a mini-draconian, but instead sort of a small mammaloreptilian humanoid with pointy ears and yellow eyes with a penchant for trickery and mischief, context-based sublanguage, poisonous critter collection, traps and kleptomaniacal hoarding.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 12, 2009, 03:22:58 am »

And just if someone wants to stay close to canon:

Kobold Quest (a game by Toady) kobolds:

This is a DF tileset I've made based on that picture:

Would be good to stay close to canon. Just far too many variables otherwise.

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 12, 2009, 03:30:37 am »

mammaloreptilian with pointy eyes and yellow eyes. pretty vague in my opinion, but that picture from Kobold Quest is a good reference.

I'll work on a more "canon" version later, seems like I do basically the same thing but give a pointier face/snout and outline the eyes in yellow.

But I know a lot of us have a deep fondness for cutebolds ;p

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 12, 2009, 03:32:29 am »

tehmarken, I love your kobolds. Not too mammalian, and not too reptilian, and you've got the perfect colouration, like old dough, that makes them seem sort of fragile.

Traps are indeed going to be tricky. Maybe the stone-fall one could be just a boulder suspended on a wooden crosspiece, with a bit of rope hanging off, like a rolling boulder from Indiana Jones or something?
Cage traps might have to be a sort of shallow dish-shaped cage suspended by poles, and the scaffold could be jointed with cogs to distinguish it from, say, a string of lobster pots.

Regarding height, I'd always pictured as goblins about the same height as dwarves, and kobolds noticeably smaller. Also, this got me thinking (and I almost certainly don't know what I'm talking about), but are dwarves short enough at the moment? If a human has to be modeled on the same tile a dwarf is, we're going to end up with the stupid stocky humans that you get in most graphics packs which are almost indistinguishable from dwarves, and similarly blocky elves.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 12, 2009, 05:19:00 am »

This is an excellent point, the dwarf sprite is as tall as a z level and that seems appropriate so perhaps a human should be (visually) more then one z level tall (about a z and a half).  I don't think the engine will do this just yet but it would be something to look into.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

tehmarken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:31 am »

I just figure you would proportion humans differently, and fill up the whole block. With the dwarves, there's still about 4 pixels above their head. I suppose it's just a matter of trial and error really.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 12, 2009, 06:16:57 am »

if you want to get hardcore into proportions, I suggest using water levels and the sizes listed in the RAW's
7 units is a full Z tile
Dwarves are 4 or 5
Goblins are same as dwarf
Kobolds are one lower than dwarf
Humans are.. 6 or 7? I dont remember.

the whole idea of scaling seems to be pretty silly to me of course, just make humans and elves taller than dwarves, and kobolds a little shorter than dwarves, all is good then.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 12, 2009, 06:33:06 am »

And yeah, sorry, posting that picture of a kobold I forgot to tell that I like Tehmarken's kobolds. In my opinion they should have a short brown fur, because while gray they look like "hippomen" or "elephantmen" for me (like they have gray bold skin), but in any case the sprite is good and fits my definition of a kobold.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 12, 2009, 07:18:52 am »

regarding scaling, remember what toady said about the size of a tile:

1: a tile is large enough to fit 1000 dragons, provided 999 are lying down.

2: a tile is too small for two dwarves to stand in.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 379