Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

No poll?

That's right
That is right

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 379

Author Topic: Stonesense - Old Official thread - Now locked  (Read 1719641 times)

Octopusfluff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stonesense - The isometric visualizer, official thread
« Reply #405 on: November 02, 2009, 09:36:19 pm »

Hmm. The biggest problem would be getting the DFHack library to work on OsX. Anyone who could do that should be able to get stonesense working without too many problems.

DFHack is listed as "OSX is not supported due to lack of developers with a Mac.". This may mean that theres cross-platform problems, or it may just mean no-one with a mac has attempted to compile it...

Well, I can try to stab at compiling it if/when I get home, but I had a hard enough time getting the win32 version of stonesense to compile. I've only access to MSVC++ 2008 Express Edition, and .. well, it didn't produce a binary that successfully did much of anything. But then, I didn't spend much time on it, either.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 02, 2009, 10:00:06 pm »

Ok newest revision and the one I'll probably be putting down for the moment.  I reduced the cowling a bit to make the red indicator a bit more obvious and a couple of other minor tweaks.  The indicators are supposed to be any sort of red/green material (gems, bauxite, serpentine, etc.) and they get hidden by the cowling when the lever is moved. Nothing high tech.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:17:59 pm by 7¢ Nickel »

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 02, 2009, 10:45:09 pm »

Instead of the glowy dot, what if you made the whole exposed inner portion white vs. black to show the state?

Or maybe another scheme altogether:

State A - the outer plate completely covers the innards

State B - the inner mechanisms are half exposed and are of a different color
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 10:48:12 pm by pokute »
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 02, 2009, 11:01:22 pm »

Ok newest revision and the one I'll probably be putting down for the moment.  I reduced the cowling a bit to make the red indicator a bit more obvious and a couple of other minor tweaks.  The indicators are supposed to be any sort of red/green material (gems, bauxite, serpentine, etc.) and they get hidden by the cowling when the lever is moved. Nothing high tech.

Looks great.  No criticisms left here.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:36 am »

Okay, tested it on my uber machine.

I'm getting variable 140-220 fps in DF with it running, the Stonesense settings are to reload every (at the minimum amount of) .2 seconds, apparently there's no option to set it for reload per # of frames? It makes the dwarves quite jumpy. I can probably slow it down at 30 fps and the dwarves will look perfect.

But holy crap is this awesome. I wish I could fraps it for you guys. Doing more testing.

My only criticism is the viewport is too small. Eventually it'd be nice to have items. Can we have loading done in even smaller intervals than .2 seconds? Great work so far!

EDIT:  errorlog gives me "Unable to load building config buildings/Pump.xml" every time I manually refresh.

I have to quit Stonesense before exiting/saving my DF game, or Stonesense crashes. The program chews through my RAM, but thankfully I have a lot of that.

A lot of chasm creatures are giving me "?". As mentioned before the ability to change viewing angles would be amazing
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 02:00:18 am by KaelGotDwarves »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 03, 2009, 04:50:44 am »

Video of Stonesense in action for those who can't run it well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUYIZsu664

Yeah, I got so distracted when things started dying.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:53:05 am by KaelGotDwarves »

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 03, 2009, 05:50:56 am »

I'm getting variable 140-220 fps in DF with it running, the Stonesense settings are to reload every (at the minimum amount of) .2 seconds, apparently there's no option to set it for reload per # of frames? It makes the dwarves quite jumpy.
We dont have that degree of synchronization with DF
I wish I could fraps it for you guys. Doing more testing.
It should have the time taken to draw in the top left (or was that just the dev editions?). I get about 70-80ms per frame, but my rig isnt spectacular.
My only criticism is the viewport is too small. Eventually it'd be nice to have items. Can we have loading done in even smaller intervals than .2 seconds? Great work so far!
The screen size and loaded area are editable in the init file. You can also set it to move the displayed area up significantly, so that with a suitable sized area you will fill the screen.

The refresh interval is adjustable in increments of 0.1 seconds: keypad +/-. Maybe we should make that a bit more finegrained?
EDIT:  errorlog gives me "Unable to load building config buildings/Pump.xml" every time I manually refresh.
Yeah, that file is listed in buildings/index.txt, but we dont have a sprite or configuration for it. You could remove that line to quiet it up, but at the rate 7c is going, you'd need to put it back in by the weekend...
I have to quit Stonesense before exiting/saving my DF game, or Stonesense crashes.
Obviously you shouldnt quit DF. Ever.
The program chews through my RAM, but thankfully I have a lot of that.
A fix is in for this
A lot of chasm creatures are giving me "?". As mentioned before the ability to change viewing angles would be amazing
Yeah, not many creatures in yet. You may want to look at the sprite editting notes, and grab some critters from various graphics packs.

Rotating the camera is high on jonasks todo list 8-)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 03, 2009, 05:57:15 am »

Thanks for the response. It's all good, I threw the video up on some sites with links back here.

In terms of the time to draw, it's editable by + and - on numpad, which was what I was using the bare minimum to achieve .2 seconds. I wish I could get .1s. Maybe it's at .1 in the dev version?

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 03, 2009, 06:05:23 am »

Looks great.  No criticisms left here.
I have one remaining problem: I can't tell lever state yet! 8-/

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:43 am »

I wish I could get .1s. Maybe it's at .1 in the dev version?
Ah! Theres a AUTO_RELOAD_STEP init setting.

Combine that with turning DEBUGMODE on so the system will tell you how fast it runs, and you should be able to get things pretty optimal 8-)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #415 on: November 03, 2009, 06:26:49 am »

Is there any way to determine what character is being displayed on the DF screen in a particular tile? That might help you detect lever states. Its a roundabout method, but could that work?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 03, 2009, 06:31:39 am »

I wish I could get .1s. Maybe it's at .1 in the dev version?
Ah! Theres a AUTO_RELOAD_STEP init setting.

Combine that with turning DEBUGMODE on so the system will tell you how fast it runs, and you should be able to get things pretty optimal 8-)
SUCCESS,  running at .1 second refresh, going to see how much I can push it next. Plenty of information now all over the screen that I have no idea what it is, hexes and the such.

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I know there was already talk on cliff borders. Someone mentioned this on another forums and did a quick shop similar to mockups Mike Mayday did to further differentiate zlevels when he had his isometric ideas thread. It would help.

Wish I could do more but I can't code ;)

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 03, 2009, 07:20:23 am »

Hmm. Hacking it into the system, ran into one issue: Banks of levers tend to overlap a touch confusingly.

Heres an attempt at providing better separation (reduced lever travel, contrasting handle colour).

(half of those levers are actually gear assemblies with hacked sprites- I still cant flip the levers in-game)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 03, 2009, 07:31:16 am »

Bottom ones definitely work better from a discernability standpoint.

7¢ Nickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 03, 2009, 07:53:21 am »

Cool, I'll fiddle with them and post again later.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 379